|By Business Wire||
|April 23, 2014 10:01 AM EDT||
Tens of thousands of Comcast and NBCUniversal employees, their family and friends, and community partners are expected to spend Saturday, April 26, giving back to their communities as they take part in Comcast Cares Day, the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort. Last year, more than 85,000 people volunteered at Comcast Cares Day projects around the world. Comcast Cares Day occurs every April, which is National Volunteer Month, and has surpassed more than 3 million volunteer hours and 500,000 volunteers since it first began in 2001. Now in its 13th year, the annual day of service has also contributed more than $14 million to local non-profit organizations.
“Each year, I look forward to working alongside my Comcast and NBCUniversal colleagues, their family members and friends, and our many community partners to make a real and lasting impact in our local communities,” said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation. “Community service and volunteerism are a deep part of our company’s culture. I am so very proud of our employees who donate their time and talents to help improve our neighborhoods on Comcast Cares Day.”
During this year’s Comcast Cares Day, volunteers at more than 800 projects will serve at sites worldwide with NBCUniversal managing projects in about a dozen countries, including England, Singapore, France, Germany, India, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Australia and Italy.
“Comcast Cares Day exemplifies Comcast and NBCUniversal’s commitment to help our neighbors and respond to local needs in the communities where we live and work,” said David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President, Comcast Corporation. “Our unwavering focus on strengthening our communities can be seen year-round as we join with non-profit organizations that work tirelessly to make a positive local impact.”
On Saturday, volunteers will contribute their time and energy by providing maintenance, supplies and makeovers to local schools, parks and community centers. Comcast Cares Day comes on the heels of Earth Week, which is widely supported by NBCUniversal’s Green is Universal initiative. Many planet-friendly projects such as building community gardens, cleaning beaches and riverbanks, and planting trees will add to the diverse line-up of projects.
Comcast and NBCUniversal also have partnered with many non-profit community organizations and local chapters of the National Council of La Raza and the National Urban League, who will be working side by side with Comcast Cares Day volunteers on Saturday. Additionally, teams from Comcast and NBCUniversal will be partnering with Big Brothers Big Sisters, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, City Year, and Easter Seals, along with hundreds of other local community organizations.
Below is a sampling of the multiple projects taking place this week:
Washington, Ill. (Storm Relief Clean-Up) – On November 17, 2013, an EF-4 tornado devastated Washington, IL and other surrounding communities. Bethany Community Church has been working since that time to provide relief to the community by sending in thousands of volunteer work teams and arranging housing for the displaced. As of March 15th, around 50 percent of the clean-up has been done, but there is still a lot of work to do. Approximately 500 Comcast Cares Day volunteers will clear and haul debris, and tear out drywall and carpet in impacted community facilities.
- Baltimore City, Md. (Druid Hill Park) – Approximately 300 volunteers will be building a native garden, pruning, weeding and mulching, cleaning up trash around the park, and installing a fence.
- Nashville, Tenn. (Jere Baxter Middle School) – Approximately 400 volunteers will be sprucing up the school by landscaping the main entrance, hanging bulletin boards, cleaning and decorating classrooms, painting, and building a small shed near the athletic field.
- Ang Mo Kio, Singapore (Thye Hua Kwan Senior Activity Center) – Volunteers at the senior center will be spring cleaning and providing companionship with the elderly for the afternoon.
- Houston, Texas (Camp Hope) – Approximately 270 volunteers will lend a hand at Camp Hope, which provides interim housing for veterans and their families suffering from combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder in a caring and positive environment. Projects will include park cleanup and deck maintenance.
- Los Angeles, Calif. (Rio Vista Elementary School) – Approximately 500 volunteers will transform the walls of the school by painting multicultural and diverse murals as well as general beautification of the school.
- New York, NY (East River Park Revitalization) – Approximately 70 volunteers will improve East River Park by removing weeds from plant beds, applying compost and woodchips to trees, planting native shrubs, and painting a fence. The completed projects will prepare East River Park for the busy summer months.
- Philadelphia, Penn. (Germantown Boys & Girls Club) – More than 250 volunteers will clean up the historic structure that serves the Boys & Girls Club as well as adjacent athletic fields and open space. Litter removal, landscaping, painting, and minor repairs will be included in the project.
- London, UK (Action Homeless Concern) – Volunteers will be preparing and serving lunch and refreshments to the homeless, clearing tables, washing dishes and sorting the food pantry.
- Washington, D.C. (West Education Campus) – Approximately 400 volunteers will participate in this school clean-up project that includes painting murals, planting flowers and plants, mulching and building vegetable gardens. West Education Campus supports the development of creative and innovative thinkers from preschool through 8th grade.
Comcast and NBCUniversal support the communities they serve by volunteering, providing access to innovative technology, giving financial support and partnering with organizations to make communities stronger. Comcast invests in programs and nonprofits that address our priorities: digital literacy, youth leadership development and community service. Since 2001, Comcast’s overall giving has exceeded $3.2 billion in cash and in-kind contributions supporting local non-profit organizations and other charitable partners across the country.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities—promoting service, expanding digital literacy, and building tomorrow’s leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated nearly $140 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks.
Jul. 29, 2015 05:30 PM EDT
Jul. 29, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 354
Jul. 29, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 497
Jul. 29, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 317
Jul. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,064
Jul. 29, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 367
Jul. 29, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 230
Jul. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 464
Jul. 29, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,251
Jul. 29, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 319
Jul. 29, 2015 02:30 PM EDT
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,165
Jul. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 334
Jul. 29, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 419
Jul. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,058