|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2014 01:55 PM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
United Capital Partners, the owner of companies with a 48% stake in VK.com, Russia's leading social media site, claims VK's former chief executive officer and founder, Pavel Durov, is attempting to present himself as a political dissident in order to divert attention from his serious legal challenges.
UCP issued proceedings (through two of its investment vehicles) in the British Virgin Islands on April 4 to protect its economic rights and those of its fellow shareholders following the launch of the Telegram application, claiming, among other things, that Durov embezzled corporate funds, breached his fiduciary duties to shareholders and diverted corporate opportunities to himself. Since that case was filed, Durov has presented himself as a victim of politics, alleging that he has been pressured by the FSB and Prosecution Office of Russia to provide information about VK users in Ukraine and Russia. He also claims that VK is now "controlled by Igor Sechin and Alisher Usmanov".
Victoria Lazareva, partner at UCP, says Durov is not a victim of politics:
"The first time we learned of these letters from the Government agencies was when Durov mentioned them online. Durov withheld them for months and, whilst we fully agree that these types of requests present a difficult dilemma for VK, we would expect the company CEO to immediately bring them to the attention of the board. Neither of the two ultimate beneficial owners of VK (UCP and Mail.ru/USM) are controlled, financed or directed by the Russian government or Mr. Sechin, who is the CEO of Rosneft. UCP is a private investment partnership controlled by Ilya Sherbovich, well-known Russian investment professional, and Mail.ru is a public company listed on the London Stock Exchange".
"Durov is attempting to divert attention from his serious legal challenges by creating a political smokescreen. This is pure fantasy and a further example of Durov's increasingly erratic behaviour. He left the company because he was dismissed at the direction of Mail.ru, not for any political reason or with the approval or even knowledge of UCP or its representatives. Durov is not a victim of politics. He is a victim of his own actions, for which we fully intend to hold him to account before a court of law, which in this instance, is located in the BVI and therefore not influenced by Russian politics."
UCP first became aware of the launch of the Telegram instant messenger application last August. In its lawsuit, UCP contends Telegram was founded and developed by Pavel Durov, using VK's resources, while he was a Director of VK.Com Ltd and Chief Executive Officer of its Russian operating subsidiary.
- In March 2012, VK conducted a competition for developers and designers to design and create a mobile messenger for VK. VK paid the winners, P. Yakovlev and I. Rimchikov over RUB 3 mn. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In September 2012, VK conducted a competition for developer to create a mobile photography application called Pictograph. The winner, Ilya Laktiushin joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- Axel Neff, the VK employee responsible for international development, was involved in the legal work to register Telegram in the United States.
- In May 2012, VK's leading developer and leading designer both left. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In August 2013, key VK developers responsible for server infrastructure left the company. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
Pavel Durov's brother, Nikolai Durov, is also connected closely with the development of the Telegram application, despite being an employee and Chief Technology Officer of VK.Com's Russian operating subsidiary until recently.
UCP's claim states that the development of Telegram, a highly valuable business asset, has been pursued by Pavel Durov in breach of his fiduciary duties to VK.Com and its 100% owned subsidiary VKontakte LLC. UCP believes that he has improperly diverted to himself corporate opportunities which he was duty bound to pursue, if at all, within the business of VK.Com.
UCP also says that it has evidence that Pavel Durov has embezzled VK's funds during the construction of the ICVA data centre and its related contracts.
- Pavel Durov beneficially owns ICVA through offshore companies.
- Companies connected with his stepbrother, Mikhail Petrov, carried out its construction. VK lost c, $5m on investments in its construction, and c.$175K on the loan it granted to ICVA.
- VK has overpaid ICVA c.2.5$m for services and related party transactions involving Pavel Durov and his family.
- VKT Rus LLC, a company founded and controlled by Petrov and Pavel Durov's mother, Albina Durova, was paid c.$4m between 2012 and 2013.
- Petrov also owns Peering LLC, a company that has profited from VK traffic. VK has lost c.$6m of revenue though a contract with this organisation.
Furthermore, Pavel Durov drew a vastly and illegally inflated salary from VK, totalling $6m in 2011-2013. This is ten times more than he was permitted to do, and he also failed to obtain any Board approval for his excessive drawings. His travel and accommodation expenses, charged to the company, exceeded RUB $4.5m.
His behaviour as the company CEO has been also erratic.
- On July 12, 2013 Pavel Durov sent an email where he proposed to vote for Ilya Perekopsky as the new CEO of VK. At the Board meeting on July 25, he withdrew this proposal.
- On March 25, 2014 the Board of VK received Durov's letter of resignation (dated March 21st) from the position of the CEO of "VKontakte LLC". In the letter Durov said that "To make sure my resignation doesn't affect day-to-day operations of the company, I carefully passed all the affairs to my deputies and instructed the key employees of the company." On April 3rd, Pavel sent an email where he claimed to withdraw his resignation.
- On Jan 28, 2014 on his VK page Pavel Durov stated that he sold his 12% stake in VK to Ivan Tavrin. The deal was structured by the sale of ownership in Bullion, the company, which owned 12% stake in VK.com, the holding company of VK business. Later Bullion was acquired by Mail.ru Group. The deal was structured the same way as UCP's deal of acquisition 48% of VK through acquisition of Blesmir and Palagon companies.
- On April 4th, Durov publicly announced, in breach of confidentiality, that Bullion (now a subsidiary of Mail.ru Group) had filed arbitration proceedings in London against UCP and Mail.ru, claiming that the sale of the VK.com stakes UCP purchased in April 2013 from the co-founders was in breach of the company's shareholders' agreement requiring such stakes to be offered to existing shareholders first. This is notwithstanding, amongst other things, that the sale to UCP happened over a year ago and had since gone unchallenged by any of Bullion, Mail.ru Group and/or Durov, and that Bullion had been sold twice over the same period (once by Pavel himself to Tavrin and then to Mail.ru Group) without any offers being made to VK's other shareholders. Also, the fact that Bullion (which is owned by Mail.ru) is purporting to sue Mail.ru as well as UCP demonstrates that this is a tactical law suit.
- On April 16th Pavel Durov posted on his VKontakte page that, because of the situation in Ukraine, he has been under FSB pressure and so sold his stake in VKontakte to Ivan Tavrin as, otherwise, it could have prevented him from making right decisions about the protection of users' personal data. However, in an article published by Vedomosti on April 18th, sources close to Tavrin and USM refuted Durov's statement, saying that the deal was agreed 2 years before it happened and that Durov had an option to sell his stake.
Now Durov has attempted to divert attention from these serious legal challenges presenting himself as a political dissident.
UCP Partner, Yuri Kachuro, believes this tactic is a further demonstration that Durov is a victim of his own fantasies:
"This desperate tactic changes nothing. Pavel Durov has embezzled company's funds and created Telegram using VK's funds and resources. Telegram belongs to VK. We will pursue Pavel Durov and all others involved in Telegram in order to have it returned to its rightful home: as part of VK's portfolio."
Notes to Editors
Through two of its investment vehicles, UCP is a shareholder in VK.Com Ltd, which owns, via a Russian subsidiary, Russia's leading social media website "VK". The other owner of VK is LSE-listed Mail.ru Group Limited. UCP controls 48% of VK.Com while Mail.ru Group controls almost 52%.
UCP's claim is against, amongst others Pavel Durov and Mail.Ru Group Limited
UCP is happy to provide comment on any aspect of its dispute with Pavel Durov. Media enquiries should be referred to Nafisa Nasyrova of UCP in Moscow on +74956431100/ [email protected] or Jonathan Hawker of Slate Campaigns in London on +447979907000/ [email protected]
SOURCE United Capital Partners (UCP)
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,974
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,772
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,826
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,877
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,335
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,126
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,890
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,035
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,790
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,030
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,562
Kubernetes is a new and revolutionary open-sourced system for managing containers across multiple hosts in a cluster. Ansible is a simple IT automation tool for just about any requirement for reproducible environments. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Patrick Galbraith, a principal engineer at HPE, discussed how to build a fully functional Kubernetes cluster on a number of virtual machines or bare-metal hosts. Also included will be a brief demonstration of running a Galera M...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,983
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,854
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,408
The Jevons Paradox suggests that when technological advances increase efficiency of a resource, it results in an overall increase in consumption. Writing on the increased use of coal as a result of technological improvements, 19th-century economist William Stanley Jevons found that these improvements led to the development of new ways to utilize coal. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Thiele, Chief Strategy Officer for Apcera, will compare the Jevons Paradox to modern-day enterprise IT, e...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,195