|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2014 01:55 PM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
United Capital Partners, the owner of companies with a 48% stake in VK.com, Russia's leading social media site, claims VK's former chief executive officer and founder, Pavel Durov, is attempting to present himself as a political dissident in order to divert attention from his serious legal challenges.
UCP issued proceedings (through two of its investment vehicles) in the British Virgin Islands on April 4 to protect its economic rights and those of its fellow shareholders following the launch of the Telegram application, claiming, among other things, that Durov embezzled corporate funds, breached his fiduciary duties to shareholders and diverted corporate opportunities to himself. Since that case was filed, Durov has presented himself as a victim of politics, alleging that he has been pressured by the FSB and Prosecution Office of Russia to provide information about VK users in Ukraine and Russia. He also claims that VK is now "controlled by Igor Sechin and Alisher Usmanov".
Victoria Lazareva, partner at UCP, says Durov is not a victim of politics:
"The first time we learned of these letters from the Government agencies was when Durov mentioned them online. Durov withheld them for months and, whilst we fully agree that these types of requests present a difficult dilemma for VK, we would expect the company CEO to immediately bring them to the attention of the board. Neither of the two ultimate beneficial owners of VK (UCP and Mail.ru/USM) are controlled, financed or directed by the Russian government or Mr. Sechin, who is the CEO of Rosneft. UCP is a private investment partnership controlled by Ilya Sherbovich, well-known Russian investment professional, and Mail.ru is a public company listed on the London Stock Exchange".
"Durov is attempting to divert attention from his serious legal challenges by creating a political smokescreen. This is pure fantasy and a further example of Durov's increasingly erratic behaviour. He left the company because he was dismissed at the direction of Mail.ru, not for any political reason or with the approval or even knowledge of UCP or its representatives. Durov is not a victim of politics. He is a victim of his own actions, for which we fully intend to hold him to account before a court of law, which in this instance, is located in the BVI and therefore not influenced by Russian politics."
UCP first became aware of the launch of the Telegram instant messenger application last August. In its lawsuit, UCP contends Telegram was founded and developed by Pavel Durov, using VK's resources, while he was a Director of VK.Com Ltd and Chief Executive Officer of its Russian operating subsidiary.
- In March 2012, VK conducted a competition for developers and designers to design and create a mobile messenger for VK. VK paid the winners, P. Yakovlev and I. Rimchikov over RUB 3 mn. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In September 2012, VK conducted a competition for developer to create a mobile photography application called Pictograph. The winner, Ilya Laktiushin joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- Axel Neff, the VK employee responsible for international development, was involved in the legal work to register Telegram in the United States.
- In May 2012, VK's leading developer and leading designer both left. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In August 2013, key VK developers responsible for server infrastructure left the company. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
Pavel Durov's brother, Nikolai Durov, is also connected closely with the development of the Telegram application, despite being an employee and Chief Technology Officer of VK.Com's Russian operating subsidiary until recently.
UCP's claim states that the development of Telegram, a highly valuable business asset, has been pursued by Pavel Durov in breach of his fiduciary duties to VK.Com and its 100% owned subsidiary VKontakte LLC. UCP believes that he has improperly diverted to himself corporate opportunities which he was duty bound to pursue, if at all, within the business of VK.Com.
UCP also says that it has evidence that Pavel Durov has embezzled VK's funds during the construction of the ICVA data centre and its related contracts.
- Pavel Durov beneficially owns ICVA through offshore companies.
- Companies connected with his stepbrother, Mikhail Petrov, carried out its construction. VK lost c, $5m on investments in its construction, and c.$175K on the loan it granted to ICVA.
- VK has overpaid ICVA c.2.5$m for services and related party transactions involving Pavel Durov and his family.
- VKT Rus LLC, a company founded and controlled by Petrov and Pavel Durov's mother, Albina Durova, was paid c.$4m between 2012 and 2013.
- Petrov also owns Peering LLC, a company that has profited from VK traffic. VK has lost c.$6m of revenue though a contract with this organisation.
Furthermore, Pavel Durov drew a vastly and illegally inflated salary from VK, totalling $6m in 2011-2013. This is ten times more than he was permitted to do, and he also failed to obtain any Board approval for his excessive drawings. His travel and accommodation expenses, charged to the company, exceeded RUB $4.5m.
His behaviour as the company CEO has been also erratic.
- On July 12, 2013 Pavel Durov sent an email where he proposed to vote for Ilya Perekopsky as the new CEO of VK. At the Board meeting on July 25, he withdrew this proposal.
- On March 25, 2014 the Board of VK received Durov's letter of resignation (dated March 21st) from the position of the CEO of "VKontakte LLC". In the letter Durov said that "To make sure my resignation doesn't affect day-to-day operations of the company, I carefully passed all the affairs to my deputies and instructed the key employees of the company." On April 3rd, Pavel sent an email where he claimed to withdraw his resignation.
- On Jan 28, 2014 on his VK page Pavel Durov stated that he sold his 12% stake in VK to Ivan Tavrin. The deal was structured by the sale of ownership in Bullion, the company, which owned 12% stake in VK.com, the holding company of VK business. Later Bullion was acquired by Mail.ru Group. The deal was structured the same way as UCP's deal of acquisition 48% of VK through acquisition of Blesmir and Palagon companies.
- On April 4th, Durov publicly announced, in breach of confidentiality, that Bullion (now a subsidiary of Mail.ru Group) had filed arbitration proceedings in London against UCP and Mail.ru, claiming that the sale of the VK.com stakes UCP purchased in April 2013 from the co-founders was in breach of the company's shareholders' agreement requiring such stakes to be offered to existing shareholders first. This is notwithstanding, amongst other things, that the sale to UCP happened over a year ago and had since gone unchallenged by any of Bullion, Mail.ru Group and/or Durov, and that Bullion had been sold twice over the same period (once by Pavel himself to Tavrin and then to Mail.ru Group) without any offers being made to VK's other shareholders. Also, the fact that Bullion (which is owned by Mail.ru) is purporting to sue Mail.ru as well as UCP demonstrates that this is a tactical law suit.
- On April 16th Pavel Durov posted on his VKontakte page that, because of the situation in Ukraine, he has been under FSB pressure and so sold his stake in VKontakte to Ivan Tavrin as, otherwise, it could have prevented him from making right decisions about the protection of users' personal data. However, in an article published by Vedomosti on April 18th, sources close to Tavrin and USM refuted Durov's statement, saying that the deal was agreed 2 years before it happened and that Durov had an option to sell his stake.
Now Durov has attempted to divert attention from these serious legal challenges presenting himself as a political dissident.
UCP Partner, Yuri Kachuro, believes this tactic is a further demonstration that Durov is a victim of his own fantasies:
"This desperate tactic changes nothing. Pavel Durov has embezzled company's funds and created Telegram using VK's funds and resources. Telegram belongs to VK. We will pursue Pavel Durov and all others involved in Telegram in order to have it returned to its rightful home: as part of VK's portfolio."
Notes to Editors
Through two of its investment vehicles, UCP is a shareholder in VK.Com Ltd, which owns, via a Russian subsidiary, Russia's leading social media website "VK". The other owner of VK is LSE-listed Mail.ru Group Limited. UCP controls 48% of VK.Com while Mail.ru Group controls almost 52%.
UCP's claim is against, amongst others Pavel Durov and Mail.Ru Group Limited
UCP is happy to provide comment on any aspect of its dispute with Pavel Durov. Media enquiries should be referred to Nafisa Nasyrova of UCP in Moscow on +74956431100/ [email protected] or Jonathan Hawker of Slate Campaigns in London on +447979907000/ [email protected]
SOURCE United Capital Partners (UCP)
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Dec. 11, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 796
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 11, 2016 07:30 AM EST Reads: 776
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 11, 2016 07:00 AM EST Reads: 494
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 11, 2016 06:45 AM EST Reads: 2,321
President Obama recently announced the launch of a new national awareness campaign to "encourage more Americans to move beyond passwords – adding an extra layer of security like a fingerprint or codes sent to your cellphone." The shift from single passwords to multi-factor authentication couldn’t be timelier or more strategic. This session will focus on why passwords alone are no longer effective, and why the time to act is now. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Chris Webber, security strateg...
Dec. 11, 2016 05:45 AM EST Reads: 743
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Dec. 11, 2016 05:30 AM EST Reads: 748
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 11, 2016 05:00 AM EST Reads: 1,190
"We are a leader in the market space called network visibility solutions - it enables monitoring tools and Big Data analysis to access the data and be able to see the performance," explained Shay Morag, VP of Sales and Marketing at Niagara Networks, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 11, 2016 04:45 AM EST Reads: 682
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 11, 2016 04:30 AM EST Reads: 884
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smart...
Dec. 11, 2016 03:30 AM EST Reads: 1,174
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 11, 2016 03:00 AM EST Reads: 815
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for s...
Dec. 11, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 926
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 11, 2016 02:45 AM EST Reads: 1,808
"We are the public cloud providers. We are currently providing 50% of the resources they need for doing e-commerce business in China and we are hosting about 60% of mobile gaming in China," explained Yi Zheng, CPO and VP of Engineering at CDS Global Cloud, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 11, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,320
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 11, 2016 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,076