|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2014 01:55 PM EDT||
MOSCOW, April 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
United Capital Partners, the owner of companies with a 48% stake in VK.com, Russia's leading social media site, claims VK's former chief executive officer and founder, Pavel Durov, is attempting to present himself as a political dissident in order to divert attention from his serious legal challenges.
UCP issued proceedings (through two of its investment vehicles) in the British Virgin Islands on April 4 to protect its economic rights and those of its fellow shareholders following the launch of the Telegram application, claiming, among other things, that Durov embezzled corporate funds, breached his fiduciary duties to shareholders and diverted corporate opportunities to himself. Since that case was filed, Durov has presented himself as a victim of politics, alleging that he has been pressured by the FSB and Prosecution Office of Russia to provide information about VK users in Ukraine and Russia. He also claims that VK is now "controlled by Igor Sechin and Alisher Usmanov".
Victoria Lazareva, partner at UCP, says Durov is not a victim of politics:
"The first time we learned of these letters from the Government agencies was when Durov mentioned them online. Durov withheld them for months and, whilst we fully agree that these types of requests present a difficult dilemma for VK, we would expect the company CEO to immediately bring them to the attention of the board. Neither of the two ultimate beneficial owners of VK (UCP and Mail.ru/USM) are controlled, financed or directed by the Russian government or Mr. Sechin, who is the CEO of Rosneft. UCP is a private investment partnership controlled by Ilya Sherbovich, well-known Russian investment professional, and Mail.ru is a public company listed on the London Stock Exchange".
"Durov is attempting to divert attention from his serious legal challenges by creating a political smokescreen. This is pure fantasy and a further example of Durov's increasingly erratic behaviour. He left the company because he was dismissed at the direction of Mail.ru, not for any political reason or with the approval or even knowledge of UCP or its representatives. Durov is not a victim of politics. He is a victim of his own actions, for which we fully intend to hold him to account before a court of law, which in this instance, is located in the BVI and therefore not influenced by Russian politics."
UCP first became aware of the launch of the Telegram instant messenger application last August. In its lawsuit, UCP contends Telegram was founded and developed by Pavel Durov, using VK's resources, while he was a Director of VK.Com Ltd and Chief Executive Officer of its Russian operating subsidiary.
- In March 2012, VK conducted a competition for developers and designers to design and create a mobile messenger for VK. VK paid the winners, P. Yakovlev and I. Rimchikov over RUB 3 mn. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In September 2012, VK conducted a competition for developer to create a mobile photography application called Pictograph. The winner, Ilya Laktiushin joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- Axel Neff, the VK employee responsible for international development, was involved in the legal work to register Telegram in the United States.
- In May 2012, VK's leading developer and leading designer both left. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
- In August 2013, key VK developers responsible for server infrastructure left the company. They joined Telegram shortly afterwards.
Pavel Durov's brother, Nikolai Durov, is also connected closely with the development of the Telegram application, despite being an employee and Chief Technology Officer of VK.Com's Russian operating subsidiary until recently.
UCP's claim states that the development of Telegram, a highly valuable business asset, has been pursued by Pavel Durov in breach of his fiduciary duties to VK.Com and its 100% owned subsidiary VKontakte LLC. UCP believes that he has improperly diverted to himself corporate opportunities which he was duty bound to pursue, if at all, within the business of VK.Com.
UCP also says that it has evidence that Pavel Durov has embezzled VK's funds during the construction of the ICVA data centre and its related contracts.
- Pavel Durov beneficially owns ICVA through offshore companies.
- Companies connected with his stepbrother, Mikhail Petrov, carried out its construction. VK lost c, $5m on investments in its construction, and c.$175K on the loan it granted to ICVA.
- VK has overpaid ICVA c.2.5$m for services and related party transactions involving Pavel Durov and his family.
- VKT Rus LLC, a company founded and controlled by Petrov and Pavel Durov's mother, Albina Durova, was paid c.$4m between 2012 and 2013.
- Petrov also owns Peering LLC, a company that has profited from VK traffic. VK has lost c.$6m of revenue though a contract with this organisation.
Furthermore, Pavel Durov drew a vastly and illegally inflated salary from VK, totalling $6m in 2011-2013. This is ten times more than he was permitted to do, and he also failed to obtain any Board approval for his excessive drawings. His travel and accommodation expenses, charged to the company, exceeded RUB $4.5m.
His behaviour as the company CEO has been also erratic.
- On July 12, 2013 Pavel Durov sent an email where he proposed to vote for Ilya Perekopsky as the new CEO of VK. At the Board meeting on July 25, he withdrew this proposal.
- On March 25, 2014 the Board of VK received Durov's letter of resignation (dated March 21st) from the position of the CEO of "VKontakte LLC". In the letter Durov said that "To make sure my resignation doesn't affect day-to-day operations of the company, I carefully passed all the affairs to my deputies and instructed the key employees of the company." On April 3rd, Pavel sent an email where he claimed to withdraw his resignation.
- On Jan 28, 2014 on his VK page Pavel Durov stated that he sold his 12% stake in VK to Ivan Tavrin. The deal was structured by the sale of ownership in Bullion, the company, which owned 12% stake in VK.com, the holding company of VK business. Later Bullion was acquired by Mail.ru Group. The deal was structured the same way as UCP's deal of acquisition 48% of VK through acquisition of Blesmir and Palagon companies.
- On April 4th, Durov publicly announced, in breach of confidentiality, that Bullion (now a subsidiary of Mail.ru Group) had filed arbitration proceedings in London against UCP and Mail.ru, claiming that the sale of the VK.com stakes UCP purchased in April 2013 from the co-founders was in breach of the company's shareholders' agreement requiring such stakes to be offered to existing shareholders first. This is notwithstanding, amongst other things, that the sale to UCP happened over a year ago and had since gone unchallenged by any of Bullion, Mail.ru Group and/or Durov, and that Bullion had been sold twice over the same period (once by Pavel himself to Tavrin and then to Mail.ru Group) without any offers being made to VK's other shareholders. Also, the fact that Bullion (which is owned by Mail.ru) is purporting to sue Mail.ru as well as UCP demonstrates that this is a tactical law suit.
- On April 16th Pavel Durov posted on his VKontakte page that, because of the situation in Ukraine, he has been under FSB pressure and so sold his stake in VKontakte to Ivan Tavrin as, otherwise, it could have prevented him from making right decisions about the protection of users' personal data. However, in an article published by Vedomosti on April 18th, sources close to Tavrin and USM refuted Durov's statement, saying that the deal was agreed 2 years before it happened and that Durov had an option to sell his stake.
Now Durov has attempted to divert attention from these serious legal challenges presenting himself as a political dissident.
UCP Partner, Yuri Kachuro, believes this tactic is a further demonstration that Durov is a victim of his own fantasies:
"This desperate tactic changes nothing. Pavel Durov has embezzled company's funds and created Telegram using VK's funds and resources. Telegram belongs to VK. We will pursue Pavel Durov and all others involved in Telegram in order to have it returned to its rightful home: as part of VK's portfolio."
Notes to Editors
Through two of its investment vehicles, UCP is a shareholder in VK.Com Ltd, which owns, via a Russian subsidiary, Russia's leading social media website "VK". The other owner of VK is LSE-listed Mail.ru Group Limited. UCP controls 48% of VK.Com while Mail.ru Group controls almost 52%.
UCP's claim is against, amongst others Pavel Durov and Mail.Ru Group Limited
UCP is happy to provide comment on any aspect of its dispute with Pavel Durov. Media enquiries should be referred to Nafisa Nasyrova of UCP in Moscow on +74956431100/ [email protected] or Jonathan Hawker of Slate Campaigns in London on +447979907000/ [email protected]
SOURCE United Capital Partners (UCP)
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Mar. 29, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,045
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Mar. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,390
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,171
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 29, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,465
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 29, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,084
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 8,459
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 29, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,370
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Mar. 28, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,452
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,735
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,838
With the introduction of IoT and Smart Living in every aspect of our lives, one question has become relevant: What are the security implications? To answer this, first we have to look and explore the security models of the technologies that IoT is founded upon. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nevi Kaja, a Research Engineer at Ford Motor Company, will discuss some of the security challenges of the IoT infrastructure and relate how these aspects impact Smart Living. The material will be delivered i...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,223
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,335
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,496
Imagine having the ability to leverage all of your current technology and to be able to compose it into one resource pool. Now imagine, as your business grows, not having to deploy a complete new appliance to scale your infrastructure. Also imagine a true multi-cloud capability that allows live migration without any modification between cloud environments regardless of whether that cloud is your private cloud or your public AWS, Azure or Google instance. Now think of a world that is not locked i...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 456
SYS-CON Events announced today that Auditwerx will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Auditwerx specializes in SOC 1, SOC 2, and SOC 3 attestation services throughout the U.S. and Canada. As a division of Carr, Riggs & Ingram (CRI), one of the top 20 largest CPA firms nationally, you can expect the resources, skills, and experience of a much larger firm combined with the accessibility and atten...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 437