|By PR Newswire||
|April 25, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
ROCKLAND, Mass., April 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, announced today that new data from the company's multiple sclerosis (MS) portfolio will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 66th Annual Meeting, taking place from April 26 – May 3, in Philadelphia, PA.
Data from 14 study assessments presented by EMD Serono or its affiliate, Merck Serono, the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, will focus on Rebif® (interferon beta-1a), as well as three pipeline candidates:
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) (S1P receptor agonist), an investigational oral compound being evaluated in a Phase II trial for relapsing-remitting MS.
- ATX MS-1467, an investigational compound being evaluated in a Phase I trial for MS.
- Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301), a second-generation peptide copolymer being evaluated in a Phase II clinical trial for MS. Plovamer Acetate is designed to bind to major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II allelic variants associated with MS, with the aim of promoting regulatory effects in the immune system.
"The data to be presented during the AAN meeting continue to advance our understanding of the important clinical effects of Rebif and demonstrate progress with our three pipeline candidates," said Thorsten Eickenhorst, Chief Medical Officer, EMD Serono. "Our company's scientific commitment to MS includes more than 20 years of clinical experience with Rebif and we continue to work to develop innovative treatment options and solutions for those living with MS."
The following abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the 66th AAN Annual Meeting:
Rebif (interferon beta-1a)
- Relationship between Immunological Markers and Short-Term Brain Volume Changes in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.146 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Correlations between Immunological Biomarkers and Conventional and Advanced MRI Measures Following Interferon Beta-1a Treatment for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (Poster P3.147 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Early and Consistent Reduction in Relapses among Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a: A Post-Hoc Analysis of PRISMS Data (Poster P3.182 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Assessing a Scoring System to Predict Disease Activity in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Post Hoc Analyses of Data from Clinical Trials of Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.178 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Changes in Immunological Biomarkers in Patients with Relapsing–Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P4.132 Session IV; Wednesday, April 30, 2014)
- Associations Between Changes in Ferritin Levels and Susceptibility-Weighted Imaging Filtered Phase in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis over Six Months Therapy with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P6.115, Session VI; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a Decreases the Evolution of Gadolinium-Enhancing Lesions Into Chronic Black Holes in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (P7.240, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Adherence to, and Effectiveness of, Treatment with Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis Patients using RebiSmart™ for Self-Injection: Final Results of the One-Year International, Observational SMART Study (P7.219, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Reduces MRI Lesions and Prevents Disease Progression in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.219, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Prevents Evoked Potential Deficits in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.218, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Effect of Ceralifimod (ONO-4641), a Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor-1 and -5 Agonist, on Magnetic Resonance Imaging Outcomes in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Interim Results from the Extension of the DreaMS Study (P3.161, Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- ATX-MS-1467, An Immunotolerizing Agent, Halts Disease Progression and Reduces CNS Inflammation in Rodent Models of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.216, Session I, Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Preclinical Efficacy and Phase I Clinical Testing of ATX-MS1467, an Antigen-Specific Immunotherapy for Multiple Sclerosis (P1.189, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301)
- Differentiating Plovamer Acetate and Glatiramer Acetate: Efficacy and Mechanism of Action in a Preclinical Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.187, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
EMD Serono is engaged in strategic research collaborations funding promising neurology research with leading academic and healthcare institutions. Learn more about EMD Serono's programs, pipeline and activities in neurology by visiting booths #1133 and #1332 at this year's AAN Annual Meeting.
About Rebif® (interferon beta-1a)
Rebif is used to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the frequency of relapses and delay the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif is not approved for treatment of chronic progressive MS. Rebif is available in 22 mcg and 44 mcg prefilled, preassembled syringes and a titration pack.
Rebif will not cure MS but it has been shown to decrease the number of flare-ups and slow the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif can cause serious side effects, so before taking Rebif, patients should talk with their doctor about the possible benefits of Rebif and its possible side effects.
Potential serious side effects of Rebif include depression, liver problems, risk to pregnancy, allergic reactions and injection-site problems. Patients who have had an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, flushing or hives to another interferon beta or to human albumin should not take Rebif.
Before taking Rebif (interferon beta-1a), patients should tell their doctor if they have a history of depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, liver disease, thyroid problems, blood cell count or bleeding problems, epilepsy, or are planning to become pregnant. Patients should tell their doctor about all medicines they take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Rebif and other medicines may affect each other causing serious side effects. Patients should talk to their doctor before taking any new medicines.
Possible side effects of Rebif include flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, sweating, muscle aches and tiredness), injection-site reactions, depression and anxiety, liver problems, abdominal pain, blood problems, thyroid problems and severe allergic reactions. Patients should let their doctor know if they have any of these symptoms or feel sad, tired, hot or cold, or experience hives, rashes, bruising, yellowing of the skin, or a change in body weight (gain or loss).
This information is not intended to replace discussions with a doctor. For additional information about Rebif, please consult the Prescribing Information and Medication Guide at www.rebif.com and talk to a health care professional. Information is also available at www.mslifelines.com or call toll-free 1-877-44-REBIF (1-877-447-3243). Rebif is available by prescription only.
About EMD Serono, Inc.
EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is a specialized biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing therapies with groundbreaking potential. The company has strong market positions in neurology, endocrinology and in reproductive health. In addition, EMD Serono has an enduring commitment to solve the unsolvable, with state-of-the-art science dedicated to developing new therapies in our core focus areas of neurology, oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology. With a long-standing history of industry expertise and a dedication to shape the future of healthcare, the company's US footprint continues to grow, with approximately 1,000 employees around the country and fully integrated commercial, clinical and research operations in the company's home state of Massachusetts.
For more information, please visit www.emdserono.com.
About Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany, is a leading company for innovative and top-quality high-tech products in the pharmaceutical and chemical sectors. Its subsidiaries in Canada and the United States operate under the umbrella brand EMD. Around 38,000 employees work in 66 countries to improve the quality of life for patients, to further the success of customers and to help meet global challenges. The company generated total revenues of €11.1 billion in 2013 with its four divisions: Biopharmaceuticals, Consumer Health, Performance Materials and Life Science Tools. Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany is the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company – since 1668, the name has stood for innovation, business success and responsible entrepreneurship. Holding an approximately 70 percent interest, the founding family remains the majority owner of the company to this day.
SOURCE EMD Serono
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 554
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,808
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,654
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,474
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,125
Apache Hadoop is a key technology for gaining business insights from your Big Data, but the penetration into enterprises is shockingly low. In fact, Apache Hadoop and Big Data proponents recognize that this technology has not yet achieved its game-changing business potential. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, John Mertic, director of program management for ODPi at The Linux Foundation, will explain why this is, how we can work together as an open data community to increase adoption, and the i...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,971
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,449
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,716
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 665
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,037
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 524
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 760
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 1, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,141
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Oct. 1, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 529