|By PR Newswire||
|April 25, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
ROCKLAND, Mass., April 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, announced today that new data from the company's multiple sclerosis (MS) portfolio will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 66th Annual Meeting, taking place from April 26 – May 3, in Philadelphia, PA.
Data from 14 study assessments presented by EMD Serono or its affiliate, Merck Serono, the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, will focus on Rebif® (interferon beta-1a), as well as three pipeline candidates:
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) (S1P receptor agonist), an investigational oral compound being evaluated in a Phase II trial for relapsing-remitting MS.
- ATX MS-1467, an investigational compound being evaluated in a Phase I trial for MS.
- Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301), a second-generation peptide copolymer being evaluated in a Phase II clinical trial for MS. Plovamer Acetate is designed to bind to major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II allelic variants associated with MS, with the aim of promoting regulatory effects in the immune system.
"The data to be presented during the AAN meeting continue to advance our understanding of the important clinical effects of Rebif and demonstrate progress with our three pipeline candidates," said Thorsten Eickenhorst, Chief Medical Officer, EMD Serono. "Our company's scientific commitment to MS includes more than 20 years of clinical experience with Rebif and we continue to work to develop innovative treatment options and solutions for those living with MS."
The following abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the 66th AAN Annual Meeting:
Rebif (interferon beta-1a)
- Relationship between Immunological Markers and Short-Term Brain Volume Changes in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.146 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Correlations between Immunological Biomarkers and Conventional and Advanced MRI Measures Following Interferon Beta-1a Treatment for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (Poster P3.147 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Early and Consistent Reduction in Relapses among Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a: A Post-Hoc Analysis of PRISMS Data (Poster P3.182 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Assessing a Scoring System to Predict Disease Activity in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Post Hoc Analyses of Data from Clinical Trials of Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.178 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Changes in Immunological Biomarkers in Patients with Relapsing–Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P4.132 Session IV; Wednesday, April 30, 2014)
- Associations Between Changes in Ferritin Levels and Susceptibility-Weighted Imaging Filtered Phase in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis over Six Months Therapy with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P6.115, Session VI; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a Decreases the Evolution of Gadolinium-Enhancing Lesions Into Chronic Black Holes in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (P7.240, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Adherence to, and Effectiveness of, Treatment with Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis Patients using RebiSmart™ for Self-Injection: Final Results of the One-Year International, Observational SMART Study (P7.219, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Reduces MRI Lesions and Prevents Disease Progression in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.219, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Prevents Evoked Potential Deficits in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.218, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Effect of Ceralifimod (ONO-4641), a Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor-1 and -5 Agonist, on Magnetic Resonance Imaging Outcomes in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Interim Results from the Extension of the DreaMS Study (P3.161, Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- ATX-MS-1467, An Immunotolerizing Agent, Halts Disease Progression and Reduces CNS Inflammation in Rodent Models of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.216, Session I, Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Preclinical Efficacy and Phase I Clinical Testing of ATX-MS1467, an Antigen-Specific Immunotherapy for Multiple Sclerosis (P1.189, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301)
- Differentiating Plovamer Acetate and Glatiramer Acetate: Efficacy and Mechanism of Action in a Preclinical Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.187, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
EMD Serono is engaged in strategic research collaborations funding promising neurology research with leading academic and healthcare institutions. Learn more about EMD Serono's programs, pipeline and activities in neurology by visiting booths #1133 and #1332 at this year's AAN Annual Meeting.
About Rebif® (interferon beta-1a)
Rebif is used to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the frequency of relapses and delay the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif is not approved for treatment of chronic progressive MS. Rebif is available in 22 mcg and 44 mcg prefilled, preassembled syringes and a titration pack.
Rebif will not cure MS but it has been shown to decrease the number of flare-ups and slow the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif can cause serious side effects, so before taking Rebif, patients should talk with their doctor about the possible benefits of Rebif and its possible side effects.
Potential serious side effects of Rebif include depression, liver problems, risk to pregnancy, allergic reactions and injection-site problems. Patients who have had an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, flushing or hives to another interferon beta or to human albumin should not take Rebif.
Before taking Rebif (interferon beta-1a), patients should tell their doctor if they have a history of depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, liver disease, thyroid problems, blood cell count or bleeding problems, epilepsy, or are planning to become pregnant. Patients should tell their doctor about all medicines they take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Rebif and other medicines may affect each other causing serious side effects. Patients should talk to their doctor before taking any new medicines.
Possible side effects of Rebif include flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, sweating, muscle aches and tiredness), injection-site reactions, depression and anxiety, liver problems, abdominal pain, blood problems, thyroid problems and severe allergic reactions. Patients should let their doctor know if they have any of these symptoms or feel sad, tired, hot or cold, or experience hives, rashes, bruising, yellowing of the skin, or a change in body weight (gain or loss).
This information is not intended to replace discussions with a doctor. For additional information about Rebif, please consult the Prescribing Information and Medication Guide at www.rebif.com and talk to a health care professional. Information is also available at www.mslifelines.com or call toll-free 1-877-44-REBIF (1-877-447-3243). Rebif is available by prescription only.
About EMD Serono, Inc.
EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is a specialized biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing therapies with groundbreaking potential. The company has strong market positions in neurology, endocrinology and in reproductive health. In addition, EMD Serono has an enduring commitment to solve the unsolvable, with state-of-the-art science dedicated to developing new therapies in our core focus areas of neurology, oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology. With a long-standing history of industry expertise and a dedication to shape the future of healthcare, the company's US footprint continues to grow, with approximately 1,000 employees around the country and fully integrated commercial, clinical and research operations in the company's home state of Massachusetts.
For more information, please visit www.emdserono.com.
About Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany, is a leading company for innovative and top-quality high-tech products in the pharmaceutical and chemical sectors. Its subsidiaries in Canada and the United States operate under the umbrella brand EMD. Around 38,000 employees work in 66 countries to improve the quality of life for patients, to further the success of customers and to help meet global challenges. The company generated total revenues of €11.1 billion in 2013 with its four divisions: Biopharmaceuticals, Consumer Health, Performance Materials and Life Science Tools. Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany is the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company – since 1668, the name has stood for innovation, business success and responsible entrepreneurship. Holding an approximately 70 percent interest, the founding family remains the majority owner of the company to this day.
SOURCE EMD Serono
The revocation of Safe Harbor has radically affected data sovereignty strategy in the cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Jeff Miller, Product Management at Cavirin Systems, discussed how to assess these changes across your own cloud strategy, and how you can mitigate risks previously covered under the agreement.
Dec. 2, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 138
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, explored the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and provided a hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He examined three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. Asaf Yigal is co-founder and VP of Product at log analytics software company Logz.io. In the past, he was co-founder of social-trading platform Currensee, which...
Dec. 1, 2015 11:00 PM EST Reads: 306
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a global leader in monitoring, and testing the performance of online applications, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of DevOps Summit New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016 at the Javits Center in New York City. Catchpoint radically transforms the way businesses manage, monitor, and test the performance of online applications. Truly understand and improve user experience with clear visibility into complex, distributed online systems.Founde...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:15 PM EST Reads: 138
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Dec. 1, 2015 10:00 PM EST Reads: 477
"eFolder does a lot of different things but we protect data and we are focused on protecting data no matter where it resides," explained Carlo Tapia, Product Marketing Manager at eFolder, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Dec. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 507
Cloud computing is unquestionably one of the driving forces of DevOps, as the automation of operations transforms enterprise software development. DevOps, however, is more than a technology trend, as it represents a move toward silo-busting, self-organizing horizontal teams that drive business velocity. At the same time, enterprise Digital Transformation represents an upheaval across the enterprise, as customer preferences and behavior drive enterprise technology decisions. This transformation ...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EST
Most of the IoT Gateway scenarios involve collecting data from machines/processing and pushing data upstream to cloud for further analytics. The gateway hardware varies from Raspberry Pi to Industrial PCs. The document states the process of allowing deploying polyglot data pipelining software with the clear notion of supporting immutability. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Shashank Jain, a development architect for SAP Labs, discussed the objective, which is to automate the IoT deployment proces...
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 152
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Dec. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 389
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 450
In demand-intensive mobile and web applications, an emerging pattern is to host the Systems of Engagement in the cloud (for maximum responsiveness) but keep the Systems of Record with the other important business systems in the company datacenter, often on a tightly secured mainframe. But what about the space in between? In this IBM Redpaper publication, we show that the IBM Bluemix cloud platform offers technologies that make it easy for cloud-based SoEs to securely connect to on-premises IBM...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:45 PM EST
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Dec. 1, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 455
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Dec. 1, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 553
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Dec. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 359
OpsHub, Inc. has announced enhanced support for DevOps and Migration for both Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio On-line in a heterogeneous environment. With added support for build and release entities in OpsHub Integration Manager (OIM) Microsoft customers can now leverage Visual Studio build and release services to manage DevOps processes in a heterogeneous environment. With the enhanced support customers can manage the DevOps process in Team Foundation Server while undertaking activit...
Dec. 1, 2015 01:42 PM EST