|By PR Newswire||
|April 25, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
ROCKLAND, Mass., April 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, announced today that new data from the company's multiple sclerosis (MS) portfolio will be presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 66th Annual Meeting, taking place from April 26 – May 3, in Philadelphia, PA.
Data from 14 study assessments presented by EMD Serono or its affiliate, Merck Serono, the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, will focus on Rebif® (interferon beta-1a), as well as three pipeline candidates:
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) (S1P receptor agonist), an investigational oral compound being evaluated in a Phase II trial for relapsing-remitting MS.
- ATX MS-1467, an investigational compound being evaluated in a Phase I trial for MS.
- Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301), a second-generation peptide copolymer being evaluated in a Phase II clinical trial for MS. Plovamer Acetate is designed to bind to major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II allelic variants associated with MS, with the aim of promoting regulatory effects in the immune system.
"The data to be presented during the AAN meeting continue to advance our understanding of the important clinical effects of Rebif and demonstrate progress with our three pipeline candidates," said Thorsten Eickenhorst, Chief Medical Officer, EMD Serono. "Our company's scientific commitment to MS includes more than 20 years of clinical experience with Rebif and we continue to work to develop innovative treatment options and solutions for those living with MS."
The following abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the 66th AAN Annual Meeting:
Rebif (interferon beta-1a)
- Relationship between Immunological Markers and Short-Term Brain Volume Changes in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.146 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Correlations between Immunological Biomarkers and Conventional and Advanced MRI Measures Following Interferon Beta-1a Treatment for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (Poster P3.147 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Early and Consistent Reduction in Relapses among Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Receiving Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a: A Post-Hoc Analysis of PRISMS Data (Poster P3.182 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Assessing a Scoring System to Predict Disease Activity in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Post Hoc Analyses of Data from Clinical Trials of Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P3.178 Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- Changes in Immunological Biomarkers in Patients with Relapsing–Remitting Multiple Sclerosis Treated with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P4.132 Session IV; Wednesday, April 30, 2014)
- Associations Between Changes in Ferritin Levels and Susceptibility-Weighted Imaging Filtered Phase in Patients with Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis over Six Months Therapy with Interferon Beta-1a (Poster P6.115, Session VI; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a Decreases the Evolution of Gadolinium-Enhancing Lesions Into Chronic Black Holes in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis (P7.240, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Adherence to, and Effectiveness of, Treatment with Subcutaneous Interferon Beta-1a in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis Patients using RebiSmart™ for Self-Injection: Final Results of the One-Year International, Observational SMART Study (P7.219, Session VII; Thursday, May 1, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Reduces MRI Lesions and Prevents Disease Progression in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.219, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Ceralifimod (ONO-4641) Prevents Evoked Potential Deficits in an Animal Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.218, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Effect of Ceralifimod (ONO-4641), a Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor-1 and -5 Agonist, on Magnetic Resonance Imaging Outcomes in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis: Interim Results from the Extension of the DreaMS Study (P3.161, Session III; Tuesday, April 29, 2014)
- ATX-MS-1467, An Immunotolerizing Agent, Halts Disease Progression and Reduces CNS Inflammation in Rodent Models of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.216, Session I, Monday, April 28, 2014)
- Preclinical Efficacy and Phase I Clinical Testing of ATX-MS1467, an Antigen-Specific Immunotherapy for Multiple Sclerosis (P1.189, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
Plovamer Acetate (PI-2301)
- Differentiating Plovamer Acetate and Glatiramer Acetate: Efficacy and Mechanism of Action in a Preclinical Model of Multiple Sclerosis (P1.187, Session I; Monday, April 28, 2014)
EMD Serono is engaged in strategic research collaborations funding promising neurology research with leading academic and healthcare institutions. Learn more about EMD Serono's programs, pipeline and activities in neurology by visiting booths #1133 and #1332 at this year's AAN Annual Meeting.
About Rebif® (interferon beta-1a)
Rebif is used to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the frequency of relapses and delay the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif is not approved for treatment of chronic progressive MS. Rebif is available in 22 mcg and 44 mcg prefilled, preassembled syringes and a titration pack.
Rebif will not cure MS but it has been shown to decrease the number of flare-ups and slow the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif can cause serious side effects, so before taking Rebif, patients should talk with their doctor about the possible benefits of Rebif and its possible side effects.
Potential serious side effects of Rebif include depression, liver problems, risk to pregnancy, allergic reactions and injection-site problems. Patients who have had an allergic reaction such as difficulty breathing, flushing or hives to another interferon beta or to human albumin should not take Rebif.
Before taking Rebif (interferon beta-1a), patients should tell their doctor if they have a history of depression, anxiety, trouble sleeping, liver disease, thyroid problems, blood cell count or bleeding problems, epilepsy, or are planning to become pregnant. Patients should tell their doctor about all medicines they take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Rebif and other medicines may affect each other causing serious side effects. Patients should talk to their doctor before taking any new medicines.
Possible side effects of Rebif include flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, sweating, muscle aches and tiredness), injection-site reactions, depression and anxiety, liver problems, abdominal pain, blood problems, thyroid problems and severe allergic reactions. Patients should let their doctor know if they have any of these symptoms or feel sad, tired, hot or cold, or experience hives, rashes, bruising, yellowing of the skin, or a change in body weight (gain or loss).
This information is not intended to replace discussions with a doctor. For additional information about Rebif, please consult the Prescribing Information and Medication Guide at www.rebif.com and talk to a health care professional. Information is also available at www.mslifelines.com or call toll-free 1-877-44-REBIF (1-877-447-3243). Rebif is available by prescription only.
About EMD Serono, Inc.
EMD Serono, Inc., a subsidiary of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, is a specialized biopharmaceutical company dedicated to developing therapies with groundbreaking potential. The company has strong market positions in neurology, endocrinology and in reproductive health. In addition, EMD Serono has an enduring commitment to solve the unsolvable, with state-of-the-art science dedicated to developing new therapies in our core focus areas of neurology, oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology. With a long-standing history of industry expertise and a dedication to shape the future of healthcare, the company's US footprint continues to grow, with approximately 1,000 employees around the country and fully integrated commercial, clinical and research operations in the company's home state of Massachusetts.
For more information, please visit www.emdserono.com.
About Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany, is a leading company for innovative and top-quality high-tech products in the pharmaceutical and chemical sectors. Its subsidiaries in Canada and the United States operate under the umbrella brand EMD. Around 38,000 employees work in 66 countries to improve the quality of life for patients, to further the success of customers and to help meet global challenges. The company generated total revenues of €11.1 billion in 2013 with its four divisions: Biopharmaceuticals, Consumer Health, Performance Materials and Life Science Tools. Merck KGaA of Darmstadt, Germany is the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company – since 1668, the name has stood for innovation, business success and responsible entrepreneurship. Holding an approximately 70 percent interest, the founding family remains the majority owner of the company to this day.
SOURCE EMD Serono
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 3,311
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,191
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,730
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 6, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,238
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 255
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 623
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2017 New York The 7th Internet of @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. Chris Matthieu is the co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, a revolutionary real-time IoT platform recently acquired by Citrix. Octoblu connects things, systems, people and clouds to a global mesh network allowing users to automate and control design flo...
Dec. 6, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 195
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:45 PM EST Reads: 1,044
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 6, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 2,155
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 6, 2016 01:30 PM EST Reads: 410
Get deep visibility into the performance of your databases and expert advice for performance optimization and tuning. You can't get application performance without database performance. Give everyone on the team a comprehensive view of how every aspect of the system affects performance across SQL database operations, host server and OS, virtualization resources and storage I/O. Quickly find bottlenecks and troubleshoot complex problems.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,099
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,017
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for ...
Dec. 6, 2016 12:28 PM EST Reads: 225
Rapid innovation, changing business landscapes, and new IT demands force businesses to make changes quickly. In the eyes of many, containers are at the brink of becoming a pervasive technology in enterprise IT to accelerate application delivery. In this presentation, attendees learned about the: The transformation of IT to a DevOps, microservices, and container-based architecture What are containers and how DevOps practices can operate in a container-based environment A demonstration of how ...
Dec. 6, 2016 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,024
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 6, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 464