|By PR Newswire||
|April 25, 2014 10:09 AM EDT||
TAMPA, Fla., April 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Amscot Financial, a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, recently gave mini-grants to nine non-profit service organizations in the Florida communities it serves. Mini-grants went to:
- Healthy Start Coalition of Polk, Hardee & Highlands, Bartow. Polk County's Teen Pregnancy Prevention Alliance will hold a Teen Summit in Lakeland on May 17. The free event, aimed at youth ages 10-19 will give young people a chance to discuss issues they face every day: teen dating violence, "sexting," drug awareness and teen pregnancy. For more information, please visit: www.healthystarthhp.org.
- Children's Advocacy Center for Osceola County, Kissimmee. The Children's Advocacy Center for Osceola County, Inc. serves the county's most vulnerable children: victims of child abuse and neglect. In 2011, there were more than 4,000 reports of alleged child abuse involving Osceola County children. In the aftermath of victimization, children and their non-offending family members are in need of a compassionate response aimed at helping them recover emotionally and physically. For more information, please visit: http://osceolakids.com.
- Florida A&M University Alumni Association, Sarasota & Manatee chapter, Sarasota. This group raises scholarship funds for students in Sarasota and Manatee counties who wish to attend Florida A&M University. For more information, please visit: http://www.saramanarattlers.com.
- Sassy Cows for Savvy Kids, Riverview. This Riverview High School program is aimed at students who are developmentally challenged. The program uses a hands-on approach to teach students using gardening techniques and veterinary science. For more information, please visit: http://riverviewhs.mysdhc.org.
- Florida International University, Miami. FIU offers a unique program called Fostering Panther Pride that offers targeted services to students coming from backgrounds in foster care or homelessness. Nearly one-third of former foster youth or homeless youth are on academic probation at FIU with GPAs of less than 2.0. For more information, please visit www.fiu.edu.
- One Church, One Child, Tampa. This faith-based non-profit group works to recruit foster families for minority children in foster care. The group held its annual Spring Fest March 29 at Bethel AME Church. For more information, please visit: www.ococfl.org.
- Presentation Brothers Association, Inc., Kissimmee. This volunteer organization believes no child should go hungry. The group provides backpacks of food to more than 160 children, who otherwise might go hungry on weekends. The group estimates that as many as 3,800 children in Osceola County need weekend food.
- Apopka Family Learning Center, Apopka. The Apopka Family Learning Center (AFLC) was established in 1977. Since then, thousands of Central Florida children and families have achieved a better quality of life and benefitted from the mission of AFLC to create a unique and educational environment of hope and encouragement for lifetime learning. For more information, please visit: http://www.apopkafamilylearningcenter.com.
- Therapy Wish, Orlando. The mission of this non-profit group is to raise funds to decrease the cost of therapy services for individuals who are developmentally disabled. Services include occupational, physical and speech-language therapy.
About Amscot Financial
Headquartered in Tampa, Fla., Amscot Financial is a leading provider of convenient, consumer-oriented financial services, including check cashing, bill payment, money transfers, cash advances, prepaid cards and money orders through its wholly owned division, Amscot International Money Order Company. Amscot Financial currently operates 232 retail financial service centers throughout Florida and employs more than 1,600 employees. Amscot Financial was recognized by the Tampa Bay Business Journal as one of Tampa Bay's Best Places to Work from 2007-2011. For additional information, please visit the company's website at www.amscot.com.
SOURCE Amscot Financial
SYS-CON Events announced today that Luxoft Holding, Inc., a leading provider of software development services and innovative IT solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Luxoft’s software development services consist of core and mission-critical custom software development and support, product engineering and testing, and technology consulting.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 497
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/...
Oct. 7, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 110
Recently announced Azure Data Lake addresses the big data 3V challenges; volume, velocity and variety. It is one more storage feature in addition to blobs and SQL Azure database. Azure Data Lake (should have been Azure Data Ocean IMHO) is really omnipotent. Just look at the key capabilities of Azure Data Lake:
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 237
Data loss happens, even in the cloud. In fact, if your company has adopted a cloud application in the past three years, data loss has probably happened, whether you know it or not. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bryan Forrester, Senior Vice President of Sales at eFolder, will present how common and costly cloud application data loss is and what measures you can take to protect your organization from data loss.
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 502
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Oct. 6, 2015 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 358
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 6, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 655
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, Chief Architect at CTS, will explore the synergy of Big Data and IoT. First he will take a closer look at the Internet of Things and Big Data individually, in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. Then he will explore the relationship between IoT and Big Data. Specifically, he will drill down to how the 4Vs aspects intersect with IoT: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Value. In turn, Tony will analyze how the key components of IoT ...
Oct. 6, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 311
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT’s direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
Oct. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 254
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Raxak has been named “Media & Session Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Raxak Protect automates security compliance across private and public clouds. Using the SaaS tool or managed service, developers can deploy cloud apps quickly, cost-effectively, and without error.
Oct. 6, 2015 04:40 PM EDT Reads: 108
As-a-service models offer huge opportunities, but also complicate security. It may seem that the easiest way to migrate to a new architectural model is to let others, experts in their field, do the work. This has given rise to many as-a-service models throughout the industry and across the entire technology stack, from software to infrastructure. While this has unlocked huge opportunities to accelerate the deployment of new capabilities or increase economic efficiencies within an organization, i...
Oct. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 124
“All our customers are looking at the cloud ecosystem as an important part of their overall product strategy. Some see it evolve as a multi-cloud / hybrid cloud strategy, while others are embracing all forms of cloud offerings like PaaS, IaaS and SaaS in their solutions,” noted Suhas Joshi, Vice President – Technology, at Harbinger Group, in this exclusive Q&A with Cloud Expo Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff.
Oct. 6, 2015 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 370
Scott Guthrie's keynote presentation "Journey to the intelligent cloud" is a must view video. This is from AzureCon 2015, September 29, 2015 I have reproduced some screen shots in case you are unable to view this long video for one reason or another. One of the highlights is 3 datacenters coming on line in India.
Oct. 6, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 229
“The Internet of Things transforms the way organizations leverage machine data and gain insights from it,” noted Splunk’s CTO Snehal Antani, as Splunk announced accelerated momentum in Industrial Data and the IoT. The trend is driven by Splunk’s continued investment in its products and partner ecosystem as well as the creativity of customers and the flexibility to deploy Splunk IoT solutions as software, cloud services or in a hybrid environment. Customers are using Splunk® solutions to collect ...
Oct. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 580
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Oct. 6, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 740
You have your devices and your data, but what about the rest of your Internet of Things story? Two popular classes of technologies that nicely handle the Big Data analytics for Internet of Things are Apache Hadoop and NoSQL. Hadoop is designed for parallelizing analytical work across many servers and is ideal for the massive data volumes you create with IoT devices. NoSQL databases such as Apache HBase are ideal for storing and retrieving IoT data as “time series data.”
Oct. 6, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 459