|By PR Newswire||
|April 26, 2014 10:00 AM EDT||
PLYMOUTH, Mich., April 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, April 26, nearly 3,000 local Comcast employees, their families and friends, along with local community partners, came together to "make change happen" as they volunteered to improve several community organizations as part of the company's 13th Comcast Cares Day.
Comcast Cares Day, which takes place every April during National Volunteer Month, is the nation's largest single-day corporate volunteer effort, and the company's signature day of service. This year, more than 80,000 Comcast volunteers participated in more than 700 projects across the country and around the globe, including 25 projects in Michigan. To date, more than half a million volunteers have contributed more than 3 million volunteer hours nationwide since Comcast Cares Day began in 2001.
"Making a difference in the local communities where our employees and customers live and work is at the core of who we are and is one of the best traditions we have at Comcast," said Tim Collins, regional senior vice president for Comcast in Michigan. "As a company, we believe everyone – including local businesses like us – has the ability to make a positive impact through volunteerism. It's inspiring to see such a committed group of individuals come together each year for such a great cause."
The following Comcast Cares Day volunteer projects took place in Michigan:
Week of April 21
- Plymouth (American Red Cross) – employee blood drive at Comcast's Plymouth call center
- Sterling Heights (American Red Cross) – employee blood drive at Comcast's Sterling Heights call center
- Ann Arbor (American Red Cross) – employee blood drive at Comcast's Ann Arbor call center
Tuesday, April 22
- Bad Axe (Thumb Industries) – recycling project in conjunction with Earth Day
- Howell (Stiggy's Dogs) – cleanup projects in conjunction with Earth Day and construction of agility platforms for canine training to benefit veterans
- Lowell (Roanoke Ranch for Kids) – outdoor spring cleanup, fence repair and prep for summer activities
- Southfield (Big Brothers Big Sisters) – food packaging that will be donated to Forgotten Harvest Food Bank and children around the world
Saturday, April 26
- Ann Arbor (Kids Against Hunger) – food packaging at Comcast's Ann Arbor call center that will be donated locally to Food Gatherers Food Bank in Ann Arbor, as well as children around the world
- Battle Creek (Food Bank of South Central Michigan) – sorted and packed food items
- Dearborn Heights (Vista Maria) – outdoor spring cleanup and laid mulch for walking path
- Detroit (Detroit Rescue Mission) – outdoor cleanup and painting
- Detroit (Motor City Blight Busters) – community cleanup of Farm City (Detroit) neighborhood
- Flint (Boys & Girls Club of Greater Flint) – outdoor cleanup, landscaping and painting
- Grand Rapids (Boys & Girls Club / Camp O'Malley) – outdoor projects
- Grand Rapids (Hope Network) – paining and outdoor activities
- Jackson (MLK Community Center) – sorted and packed food items for Food Bank of South Central Michigan
- Lansing (Greater Lansing Food Bank) – assembled and planted community garden boxes and spring cleanup at Cristo Rey Community Center in Lansing
- Monroe (Arthur Leslow Community Center) – outdoor cleanup and prepped a community garden for spring planting
- Muskegon (Feeding America West Michigan Food Bank) – packed and distributed food to local residents, and community cleanup project
- Plymouth (Kids Against Hunger) – food packaging at Comcast's Plymouth call center that will be donated locally to Plymouth United Way, as well as children around the world
- Pontiac (Habitat for Humanity) – landscaping, painting and outdoor cleanup at two Habitat build sites
- Sterling Heights (Kids Against Hunger) – food packaging at Comcast's Sterling Heights call center that will be donated locally to Gleaners of Macomb County, as well as children around the world
- Warren (Hope Center – The Woods) – cleaned up community garden, constructed rain garden and did spring planting
- Westland (Spectrum Human Services) – indoor and outdoor cleanup, painting and landscaping
Comcast Cares Day will conclude in Taylor on April 29 at the Guidance Center Head Start where nearly 300 volunteers will do outdoor cleanup, planting, and crafts creation for donation to other head start classes.
Comcast has been committed to serving local communities since our founding 50 years ago. For more information on Comcast's volunteer and community investment initiatives, visit us on the web at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news and entertainment cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities—promoting service, expanding digital literacy and building tomorrow's leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated more than $140 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. For more information about the Foundation and its programs, please visit us at www.comcast.com/community.
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,068
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,688
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 5,498
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,911
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:15 AM EST Reads: 6,379
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 4,738
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,704
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,925
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 4,261
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 20, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 2,970
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,861
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 9,072
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 3,646
DevOps tends to focus on the relationship between Dev and Ops, putting an emphasis on the ops and application infrastructure. But that’s changing with microservices architectures. In her session at DevOps Summit, Lori MacVittie, Evangelist for F5 Networks, will focus on how microservices are changing the underlying architectures needed to scale, secure and deliver applications based on highly distributed (micro) services and why that means an expansion into “the network” for DevOps.
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 5,504
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive ad...
Jan. 20, 2017 06:15 AM EST Reads: 1,625