|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:07 AM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- An aging revolution is changing the world, demanding that we look at our older years in a fresh way. A new book edited by Paul Irving, president of the Milken Institute, moves beyond the stereotypes of dependency and decline to do just that.
Exploring the vast potential of longer lives, The Upside of Aging: How Long Life is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy, and Purpose (Wiley) reveals how we can meet the challenges that accompany later life with positive solutions for people of all ages.
Irving and a distinguished group of contributing authors reveal the remarkable upside for health, work and entrepreneurship, volunteerism, innovation and education, as longevity and declining birth rates create a mature population of unprecedented size and significance.
"In the past century, discovery and innovation have enabled longevity that would be unimaginable to our forebears," says Irving. "Increased longevity has contributed to unprecedented global economic growth and new opportunities for personal fulfillment that previous generations could only dream of."
With a positive call to action, the book suggests new ways of thinking about aging. Among topics examined are:
- The emotional intelligence and qualities of the aging brain that science is uncovering.
- The new worlds of genomics, medicine and technology that are revolutionizing health care and wellness.
- The aging population's massive impact on global markets, with enormous profit potential from an explosion in products and services geared toward mature consumers.
- New education paradigms to meet the needs and aspirations of older people, and to capitalize on their talents.
- The benefits that aging workers and entrepreneurs bring to companies, and the crucial role of older people in philanthropy and society.
- Tools and policies to facilitate financial security for longer and more purposeful lives.
- Infrastructure and housing changes to create livable cities for all ages, enabling "aging in place" and continuing civic contribution from millions of older adults.
- The opportunities and potential for intergenerational engagement and collaboration.
The chapter authors of The Upside of Aging bring unique authority to the topic. Editor Paul Irving leads the Milken Institute's initiatives to improve public health and aging across America and the world, expand capital access, and enhance philanthropic impact. Under his direction, the Institute created the widely acknowledged Best Cities for Successful Aging index.
Contributing authors include the world's most authoritative voices on aging issues:
- Laura Carstensen, Professor of Psychology and Fairleigh S. Dickinson Jr. Professor in Public Policy, Stanford University; Founding Director, Stanford Center on Longevity
- Henry Cisneros, Chairman, City View; former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas
- Anusuya Chatterjee, Senior Economist and Associate Director, Research, Milken Institute
- Pinchas Cohen, Dean, University of Southern California Davis School of Gerontology
- Joseph F. Coughlin, Founder and Director, Massachusetts Institute of Technology AgeLab
- Ken Dychtwald, President and CEO, Age Wave
- Marc Freedman, CEO and founder, Encore.org
- Sally Greengross, Member, U.K. House of Lords; Chief Executive, U.K. International Longevity Center
- Jody Heymann, Dean, UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health; Founding Director, WORLD Policy Analysis Institute
- Michael Hodin, Executive Director, Global Coalition on Aging; Managing Partner, High Lantern Group
- Dan Houston, President, Retirement, Insurance and Financial Services, the Principal Financial Group®
- Steven Knapp, President, The George Washington University; Co-Chair, Age-Friendly DC Task Force
- Freda Lewis-Hall, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Pfizer Inc
- Michael Milken, Chairman of The Milken Institute
- Philip A. Pizzo, former Dean, Stanford University School of Medicine; David and Susan Heckerman Professor of Pediatrics and of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine; Founding Director, Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute
- Barry Rand, Chief Executive Officer, AARP
- Susan Raymond, Executive Vice President, Changing Our World, Inc.
- Fernando Torres-Gil, Professor of Social Welfare and Public Policy, UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs; Director, UCLA Center for Policy Research on Aging
The Upside of Aging: How Long Life Is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy and Purpose is by Paul H. Irving. (April 2014; Hardcover & e-book; $39.95. ISBN: 978-1-118-69203-5)
About the Milken Institute
A nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank, the Milken Institute believes in the power of capital markets to solve urgent social and economic challenges. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health.
Director of Communications
E-mail: [email protected]
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,451
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 4,396
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,581
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,090
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 2,481
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 18, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 6,291
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 18, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,499
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,744
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,927
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 4,216
The unique combination of Amazon Web Services and Cloud Raxak, a Gartner Cool Vendor in IT Automation, provides a seamless and cost-effective way of securely moving on-premise IT workloads to Amazon Web Services. Any enterprise can now leverage the cloud, manage risk, and maintain continuous security compliance. Forrester's analysis shows that enterprises need automated security to lower security risk and decrease IT operational costs. Through the seamless integration into Amazon Web Services, ...
Jan. 18, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,791
Updating DevOps to the latest production data slows down your development cycle. Probably it is due to slow, inefficient conventional storage and associated copy data management practices. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, in Product and Solution at Tintri, will talk about DevOps and cloud-focused storage to update hundreds of child VMs (different flavors) with updates from a master VM in minutes, saving hours or even days in each development cycle. He will also...
Jan. 18, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,123
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 18, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 3,098
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager - Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, reviewed next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discussed how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has been engaged in t...
Jan. 18, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 4,608
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facing...
Jan. 18, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 6,067