|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:07 AM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- An aging revolution is changing the world, demanding that we look at our older years in a fresh way. A new book edited by Paul Irving, president of the Milken Institute, moves beyond the stereotypes of dependency and decline to do just that.
Exploring the vast potential of longer lives, The Upside of Aging: How Long Life is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy, and Purpose (Wiley) reveals how we can meet the challenges that accompany later life with positive solutions for people of all ages.
Irving and a distinguished group of contributing authors reveal the remarkable upside for health, work and entrepreneurship, volunteerism, innovation and education, as longevity and declining birth rates create a mature population of unprecedented size and significance.
"In the past century, discovery and innovation have enabled longevity that would be unimaginable to our forebears," says Irving. "Increased longevity has contributed to unprecedented global economic growth and new opportunities for personal fulfillment that previous generations could only dream of."
With a positive call to action, the book suggests new ways of thinking about aging. Among topics examined are:
- The emotional intelligence and qualities of the aging brain that science is uncovering.
- The new worlds of genomics, medicine and technology that are revolutionizing health care and wellness.
- The aging population's massive impact on global markets, with enormous profit potential from an explosion in products and services geared toward mature consumers.
- New education paradigms to meet the needs and aspirations of older people, and to capitalize on their talents.
- The benefits that aging workers and entrepreneurs bring to companies, and the crucial role of older people in philanthropy and society.
- Tools and policies to facilitate financial security for longer and more purposeful lives.
- Infrastructure and housing changes to create livable cities for all ages, enabling "aging in place" and continuing civic contribution from millions of older adults.
- The opportunities and potential for intergenerational engagement and collaboration.
The chapter authors of The Upside of Aging bring unique authority to the topic. Editor Paul Irving leads the Milken Institute's initiatives to improve public health and aging across America and the world, expand capital access, and enhance philanthropic impact. Under his direction, the Institute created the widely acknowledged Best Cities for Successful Aging index.
Contributing authors include the world's most authoritative voices on aging issues:
- Laura Carstensen, Professor of Psychology and Fairleigh S. Dickinson Jr. Professor in Public Policy, Stanford University; Founding Director, Stanford Center on Longevity
- Henry Cisneros, Chairman, City View; former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas
- Anusuya Chatterjee, Senior Economist and Associate Director, Research, Milken Institute
- Pinchas Cohen, Dean, University of Southern California Davis School of Gerontology
- Joseph F. Coughlin, Founder and Director, Massachusetts Institute of Technology AgeLab
- Ken Dychtwald, President and CEO, Age Wave
- Marc Freedman, CEO and founder, Encore.org
- Sally Greengross, Member, U.K. House of Lords; Chief Executive, U.K. International Longevity Center
- Jody Heymann, Dean, UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health; Founding Director, WORLD Policy Analysis Institute
- Michael Hodin, Executive Director, Global Coalition on Aging; Managing Partner, High Lantern Group
- Dan Houston, President, Retirement, Insurance and Financial Services, the Principal Financial Group®
- Steven Knapp, President, The George Washington University; Co-Chair, Age-Friendly DC Task Force
- Freda Lewis-Hall, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Pfizer Inc
- Michael Milken, Chairman of The Milken Institute
- Philip A. Pizzo, former Dean, Stanford University School of Medicine; David and Susan Heckerman Professor of Pediatrics and of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine; Founding Director, Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute
- Barry Rand, Chief Executive Officer, AARP
- Susan Raymond, Executive Vice President, Changing Our World, Inc.
- Fernando Torres-Gil, Professor of Social Welfare and Public Policy, UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs; Director, UCLA Center for Policy Research on Aging
The Upside of Aging: How Long Life Is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy and Purpose is by Paul H. Irving. (April 2014; Hardcover & e-book; $39.95. ISBN: 978-1-118-69203-5)
About the Milken Institute
A nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank, the Milken Institute believes in the power of capital markets to solve urgent social and economic challenges. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health.
Director of Communications
E-mail: [email protected]
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,587
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 25, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,878
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,065
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 886
The pace of innovation, vendor lock-in, production sustainability, cost-effectiveness, and managing risk… In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, will discuss how CIOs are challenged finding the balance of finding the right tools, technology and operational model that serves the business the best. He will discuss how clouds, open source software and infrastructure solutions have benefits but also drawbacks and how workload and operational portability between vendors...
May. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,770
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,215
As machines are increasingly connected to the internet, it’s becoming easier to discover the numerous ways Industrial IoT (IIoT) is helping to shape the business world. This is exactly why we have decided to take a closer look at this pervasive movement and to examine the desire to connect more things! Now if you need a refresher on IIoT and how it is changing the world, take a moment and listen to Greg Gorbach with ARC Advisory Group. Gorbach believes, "IIoT will significantly change the worl...
May. 25, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,829
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,056
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 25, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,889
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 488
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,723
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 952
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 25, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,195
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 25, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,125
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 25, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,443