|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:07 AM EDT||
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/28/14 -- An aging revolution is changing the world, demanding that we look at our older years in a fresh way. A new book edited by Paul Irving, president of the Milken Institute, moves beyond the stereotypes of dependency and decline to do just that.
Exploring the vast potential of longer lives, The Upside of Aging: How Long Life is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy, and Purpose (Wiley) reveals how we can meet the challenges that accompany later life with positive solutions for people of all ages.
Irving and a distinguished group of contributing authors reveal the remarkable upside for health, work and entrepreneurship, volunteerism, innovation and education, as longevity and declining birth rates create a mature population of unprecedented size and significance.
"In the past century, discovery and innovation have enabled longevity that would be unimaginable to our forebears," says Irving. "Increased longevity has contributed to unprecedented global economic growth and new opportunities for personal fulfillment that previous generations could only dream of."
With a positive call to action, the book suggests new ways of thinking about aging. Among topics examined are:
- The emotional intelligence and qualities of the aging brain that science is uncovering.
- The new worlds of genomics, medicine and technology that are revolutionizing health care and wellness.
- The aging population's massive impact on global markets, with enormous profit potential from an explosion in products and services geared toward mature consumers.
- New education paradigms to meet the needs and aspirations of older people, and to capitalize on their talents.
- The benefits that aging workers and entrepreneurs bring to companies, and the crucial role of older people in philanthropy and society.
- Tools and policies to facilitate financial security for longer and more purposeful lives.
- Infrastructure and housing changes to create livable cities for all ages, enabling "aging in place" and continuing civic contribution from millions of older adults.
- The opportunities and potential for intergenerational engagement and collaboration.
The chapter authors of The Upside of Aging bring unique authority to the topic. Editor Paul Irving leads the Milken Institute's initiatives to improve public health and aging across America and the world, expand capital access, and enhance philanthropic impact. Under his direction, the Institute created the widely acknowledged Best Cities for Successful Aging index.
Contributing authors include the world's most authoritative voices on aging issues:
- Laura Carstensen, Professor of Psychology and Fairleigh S. Dickinson Jr. Professor in Public Policy, Stanford University; Founding Director, Stanford Center on Longevity
- Henry Cisneros, Chairman, City View; former Secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; former Mayor of San Antonio, Texas
- Anusuya Chatterjee, Senior Economist and Associate Director, Research, Milken Institute
- Pinchas Cohen, Dean, University of Southern California Davis School of Gerontology
- Joseph F. Coughlin, Founder and Director, Massachusetts Institute of Technology AgeLab
- Ken Dychtwald, President and CEO, Age Wave
- Marc Freedman, CEO and founder, Encore.org
- Sally Greengross, Member, U.K. House of Lords; Chief Executive, U.K. International Longevity Center
- Jody Heymann, Dean, UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health; Founding Director, WORLD Policy Analysis Institute
- Michael Hodin, Executive Director, Global Coalition on Aging; Managing Partner, High Lantern Group
- Dan Houston, President, Retirement, Insurance and Financial Services, the Principal Financial Group®
- Steven Knapp, President, The George Washington University; Co-Chair, Age-Friendly DC Task Force
- Freda Lewis-Hall, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Pfizer Inc
- Michael Milken, Chairman of The Milken Institute
- Philip A. Pizzo, former Dean, Stanford University School of Medicine; David and Susan Heckerman Professor of Pediatrics and of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine; Founding Director, Stanford Distinguished Careers Institute
- Barry Rand, Chief Executive Officer, AARP
- Susan Raymond, Executive Vice President, Changing Our World, Inc.
- Fernando Torres-Gil, Professor of Social Welfare and Public Policy, UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs; Director, UCLA Center for Policy Research on Aging
The Upside of Aging: How Long Life Is Changing the World of Health, Work, Innovation, Policy and Purpose is by Paul H. Irving. (April 2014; Hardcover & e-book; $39.95. ISBN: 978-1-118-69203-5)
About the Milken Institute
A nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank, the Milken Institute believes in the power of capital markets to solve urgent social and economic challenges. Its mission is to improve lives around the world by advancing innovative economic and policy solutions that create jobs, widen access to capital and enhance health.
Director of Communications
E-mail: [email protected]
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 954
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,226
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,351
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,057
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,634
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with budd...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,050
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,317
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,592
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,928
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,969
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Some people worry that OpenStack is more flash then substance; however, for many customers this could not be farther from the truth. No other technology equalizes the playing field between vendors while giving your internal teams better access than ever to infrastructure when they need it. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will talk through some real-world OpenStack deployments and look into the ways this can benefit customers of all sizes....
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,344