|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:10 PM EDT||
OMAHA, NE--(Marketwired - April 28, 2014) - ConAgra Foods, Inc., one of North America's leading food makers, is presenting findings from nutrition studies and hosting a session at the 2014 Experimental Biology conference around topics ranging from weight management to heart health. The research headlines are --
- Single serve frozen meals were more effective at helping study participants cut calories and stay full throughout the day than weight loss shakes.
- Heart health benefits were associated with consuming the MyPlate recommended amount of tomatoes.
- A special scientific session on sodium intake and health outcomes continues to question the benefit of reducing sodium intake to meet current sodium intake recommendations.
The Real Meal Solution to Cutting Calories: Single Serve Frozen Meals at Lunch Yield Greater 24-Hour Energy Intake Reduction Compared to Shakes
- Replacing typical meals with meal replacement shakes is a long-standing, effective option for those seeking to lose weight. When researchers compared replacing a typical lunch with either a single serve frozen meal or an equal calorie portion of a shake, unexpectedly, the single serve frozen meal led to greater daily calorie reduction than the shake.
- The greater benefit for reduced calories with the single serve frozen meal might have been related to less hunger. Study participants who replaced a typical lunch with a single-serve frozen meal were less hungry three hours after eating than when they replaced their lunch with a meal replacement shake.
- Both the single serve frozen meal and the shake helped people eat fewer daily calories than usual. Although participants could eat as much as desired, they didn't make up for fewer calories at lunch by eating more at subsequent meals and snacks, thus preserving the lunch calorie reduction. This finding suggests that replacing even one meal a day supports daily calorie reduction.
"The results from this study are exciting because they show that replacing a typical lunch meal with a frozen single-serve meal offers a low-effort way to eat less," says Kristin Reimers, PhD, RD, Nutrition Director, ConAgra Foods. "While meal replacement shakes have been effective in helping people lose weight, they exemplify "dieting" and lack the traditional meal experience. An unrecognized characteristic of most single-serve frozen meals is that they contain fewer calories than self-selected meals. Even those single-serve frozen meals that are not promoted for weight loss usually contain fewer than 450 calories."
Promote Heart Health with Just Two Servings of Tomatoes Each Day: Relationship of the Tomato Intake Amount Recommended in MyPlate to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction
- The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Choose MyPlate recommends eating more tomatoes than ever because of their nutritional benefits. New research reveals that the simple act of eating two servings of tomatoes each day may be as heart healthy as it is delicious. And for individuals who have very little tomato in their diet, it's especially heart healthy to add tomatoes.
- Researchers found that people who added canned tomatoes, sauce or paste in the approximate amount recommended by MyPlate (about two 1/2 cup servings) to their usual diet for six weeks had increased lycopene levels in their body. When similar lycopene levels were observed in large population-based studies, the greater lycopene levels were related to decreased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Tomatoes are included in the red and orange vegetable group, and MyPlate recommends eating almost one cup (0.8 cups) daily of red and orange vegetables, mostly from tomatoes.
Sodium: Too much, too little or just right? Scientific Session on Sodium Intake and Health Outcomes
- During a diet revamp, people often focus on things to reduce, such as sodium. As part of a special session on sodium, nutrition and health experts examined the science to date regarding sodium intake. Surprisingly, the latest research does not support sodium intake reduction to current recommendations of 1,500 mg or even 2,300mg.
- In fact, the lowest risk for heart disease observed in a recently published study
1was associated with sodium intakes similar to average American sodium intakes.
- Additionally, new epidemiological evidence shows that sodium intake has been consistent across populations and geographies for decades, suggesting that sodium intake is resistant to change over time regardless of food supply and environmental, cultural and demographic differences.
"Nutrition science is a constant work in progress to develop guidelines that are the most beneficial for health," states Reimers. "Newly published science is bringing to light that reducing sodium intake to the currently recommended levels may not be helpful, and may even be harmful for some people. While the sodium science evolves, it's important to remember that heart health is much broader than sodium intake and is supported by a number of dietary and lifestyle factors, including maintaining a healthy weight; consuming a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products; avoiding excessive saturated and trans fats; maintaining a physically active lifestyle; moderating alcohol consumption and avoiding tobacco products."
This research was supported by ConAgra Foods, Inc., abstracts and posters available April 28, 2014, via http://www.conagrafoodsscienceinstitute.com/nutrition-research.jsp.
Abstracts are also published in the FASEB Journal:
ABOUT CONAGRA FOODS
ConAgra Foods, Inc. is one of North America's largest packaged food companies with branded and private branded food found in 99 percent of America's households, as well as a strong commercial foods business serving restaurants and foodservice operations globally. Consumers can find recognized brands such as Banquet®, Chef Boyardee®, Egg Beaters®, Healthy Choice®, Hebrew National®, Hunt's®, Marie Callender's®, Orville Redenbacher's®, PAM®, Peter Pan®, Reddi-wip®, Slim Jim®, Snack Pack® and many other ConAgra Foods brands, along with food sold by ConAgra Foods under private brand labels, in grocery, convenience, mass merchandise, club and drug stores. Additionally, ConAgra Foods supplies frozen potato and sweet potato products as well as other vegetable, spice, bakery and grain products to commercial and foodservice customers. ConAgra Foods operates ReadySetEat.com, an interactive recipe website that provides consumers with easy dinner recipes and more. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.
The following files are available for download:
Most companies are adopting or evaluating container technology - Docker in particular - to speed up application deployment, drive down cost, ease management and make application delivery more flexible overall. As with most new architectures, this dream takes a lot of work to become a reality. Even when you do get your application componentized enough and packaged properly, there are still challenges for DevOps teams to making the shift to continuous delivery and achieving that reduction in cost ...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,564
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 739
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 23, 2017 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,438
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,887
In his keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Sheng Liang, co-founder and CEO of Rancher Labs, discussed the technological advances and new business opportunities created by the rapid adoption of containers. With the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and various open source technologies used to build private clouds, cloud computing has become an essential component of IT strategy. However, users continue to face challenges in implementing clouds, as older technologies evolve and newer ones like Docker c...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,402
SYS-CON Events announced today that Twistlock, the leading provider of cloud container security solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Twistlock is the industry's first enterprise security suite for container security. Twistlock's technology addresses risks on the host and within the application of the container, enabling enterprises to consistently enforce security policies, monitor...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,255
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be? In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,809
The goal of Continuous Testing is to shift testing left to find defects earlier and release software faster. This can be achieved by integrating a set of open source functional and performance testing tools in the early stages of your software delivery lifecycle. There is one process that binds all application delivery stages together into one well-orchestrated machine: Continuous Testing. Continuous Testing is the conveyor belt between the Software Factory and production stages. Artifacts are ...
Apr. 23, 2017 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 742
Blockchain is a shared, secure record of exchange that establishes trust, accountability and transparency across supply chain networks. Supported by the Linux Foundation's open source, open-standards based Hyperledger Project, Blockchain has the potential to improve regulatory compliance, reduce cost and time for product recall as well as advance trade. Are you curious about Blockchain and how it can provide you with new opportunities for innovation and growth? In her session at 20th Cloud Exp...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,365
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,327
SYS-CON Events announced today that Grape Up will exhibit at SYS-CON's 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Grape Up is a software company specializing in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the U.S. and Europe, Grape Up works with a variety of customers from emergi...
Apr. 23, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,561
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitachi, the leading provider the Internet of Things and Digital Transformation, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Hitachi Data Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd., offers an integrated portfolio of services and solutions that enable digital transformation through enhanced data management, governance, mobility and analytics. We help globa...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,779
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,665
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,916
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 23, 2017 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,158