|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:10 PM EDT||
OMAHA, NE--(Marketwired - April 28, 2014) - ConAgra Foods, Inc., one of North America's leading food makers, is presenting findings from nutrition studies and hosting a session at the 2014 Experimental Biology conference around topics ranging from weight management to heart health. The research headlines are --
- Single serve frozen meals were more effective at helping study participants cut calories and stay full throughout the day than weight loss shakes.
- Heart health benefits were associated with consuming the MyPlate recommended amount of tomatoes.
- A special scientific session on sodium intake and health outcomes continues to question the benefit of reducing sodium intake to meet current sodium intake recommendations.
The Real Meal Solution to Cutting Calories: Single Serve Frozen Meals at Lunch Yield Greater 24-Hour Energy Intake Reduction Compared to Shakes
- Replacing typical meals with meal replacement shakes is a long-standing, effective option for those seeking to lose weight. When researchers compared replacing a typical lunch with either a single serve frozen meal or an equal calorie portion of a shake, unexpectedly, the single serve frozen meal led to greater daily calorie reduction than the shake.
- The greater benefit for reduced calories with the single serve frozen meal might have been related to less hunger. Study participants who replaced a typical lunch with a single-serve frozen meal were less hungry three hours after eating than when they replaced their lunch with a meal replacement shake.
- Both the single serve frozen meal and the shake helped people eat fewer daily calories than usual. Although participants could eat as much as desired, they didn't make up for fewer calories at lunch by eating more at subsequent meals and snacks, thus preserving the lunch calorie reduction. This finding suggests that replacing even one meal a day supports daily calorie reduction.
"The results from this study are exciting because they show that replacing a typical lunch meal with a frozen single-serve meal offers a low-effort way to eat less," says Kristin Reimers, PhD, RD, Nutrition Director, ConAgra Foods. "While meal replacement shakes have been effective in helping people lose weight, they exemplify "dieting" and lack the traditional meal experience. An unrecognized characteristic of most single-serve frozen meals is that they contain fewer calories than self-selected meals. Even those single-serve frozen meals that are not promoted for weight loss usually contain fewer than 450 calories."
Promote Heart Health with Just Two Servings of Tomatoes Each Day: Relationship of the Tomato Intake Amount Recommended in MyPlate to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction
- The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Choose MyPlate recommends eating more tomatoes than ever because of their nutritional benefits. New research reveals that the simple act of eating two servings of tomatoes each day may be as heart healthy as it is delicious. And for individuals who have very little tomato in their diet, it's especially heart healthy to add tomatoes.
- Researchers found that people who added canned tomatoes, sauce or paste in the approximate amount recommended by MyPlate (about two 1/2 cup servings) to their usual diet for six weeks had increased lycopene levels in their body. When similar lycopene levels were observed in large population-based studies, the greater lycopene levels were related to decreased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Tomatoes are included in the red and orange vegetable group, and MyPlate recommends eating almost one cup (0.8 cups) daily of red and orange vegetables, mostly from tomatoes.
Sodium: Too much, too little or just right? Scientific Session on Sodium Intake and Health Outcomes
- During a diet revamp, people often focus on things to reduce, such as sodium. As part of a special session on sodium, nutrition and health experts examined the science to date regarding sodium intake. Surprisingly, the latest research does not support sodium intake reduction to current recommendations of 1,500 mg or even 2,300mg.
- In fact, the lowest risk for heart disease observed in a recently published study
1was associated with sodium intakes similar to average American sodium intakes.
- Additionally, new epidemiological evidence shows that sodium intake has been consistent across populations and geographies for decades, suggesting that sodium intake is resistant to change over time regardless of food supply and environmental, cultural and demographic differences.
"Nutrition science is a constant work in progress to develop guidelines that are the most beneficial for health," states Reimers. "Newly published science is bringing to light that reducing sodium intake to the currently recommended levels may not be helpful, and may even be harmful for some people. While the sodium science evolves, it's important to remember that heart health is much broader than sodium intake and is supported by a number of dietary and lifestyle factors, including maintaining a healthy weight; consuming a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products; avoiding excessive saturated and trans fats; maintaining a physically active lifestyle; moderating alcohol consumption and avoiding tobacco products."
This research was supported by ConAgra Foods, Inc., abstracts and posters available April 28, 2014, via http://www.conagrafoodsscienceinstitute.com/nutrition-research.jsp.
Abstracts are also published in the FASEB Journal:
ABOUT CONAGRA FOODS
ConAgra Foods, Inc. is one of North America's largest packaged food companies with branded and private branded food found in 99 percent of America's households, as well as a strong commercial foods business serving restaurants and foodservice operations globally. Consumers can find recognized brands such as Banquet®, Chef Boyardee®, Egg Beaters®, Healthy Choice®, Hebrew National®, Hunt's®, Marie Callender's®, Orville Redenbacher's®, PAM®, Peter Pan®, Reddi-wip®, Slim Jim®, Snack Pack® and many other ConAgra Foods brands, along with food sold by ConAgra Foods under private brand labels, in grocery, convenience, mass merchandise, club and drug stores. Additionally, ConAgra Foods supplies frozen potato and sweet potato products as well as other vegetable, spice, bakery and grain products to commercial and foodservice customers. ConAgra Foods operates ReadySetEat.com, an interactive recipe website that provides consumers with easy dinner recipes and more. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.
The following files are available for download:
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,239
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,682
Established in 1998, Calsoft is a leading software product engineering Services Company specializing in Storage, Networking, Virtualization and Cloud business verticals. Calsoft provides End-to-End Product Development, Quality Assurance Sustenance, Solution Engineering and Professional Services expertise to assist customers in achieving their product development and business goals. The company's deep domain knowledge of Storage, Virtualization, Networking and Cloud verticals helps in delivering ...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,094
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,369
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,536
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,106
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 284
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,023
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 337
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,439
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,241
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Nick Son, Vice President of Cyber Risk & Public Sector at Coalfire, will discuss the latest information on the FedRAMP Program. Topics will cover: FedRAMP Readiness Assessment Report (RAR). This new process is designed to streamline and accelerate the FedRAMP process from the traditional timeline by initially focusing on technical capability instead of documentation preparedness. FedRAMP for High-impact level systems. Early in 2016 FedRAMP officially publishe...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 373
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,140
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,705
Kubernetes, Docker and containers are changing the world, and how companies are deploying their software and running their infrastructure. With the shift in how applications are built and deployed, new challenges must be solved. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, will discuss the implications of containerized applications/infrastructures and their impact on the enterprise. In a real world example based on Kubernetes, he will show how to ...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,892