|By Marketwired .||
|April 28, 2014 07:10 PM EDT||
OMAHA, NE--(Marketwired - April 28, 2014) - ConAgra Foods, Inc., one of North America's leading food makers, is presenting findings from nutrition studies and hosting a session at the 2014 Experimental Biology conference around topics ranging from weight management to heart health. The research headlines are --
- Single serve frozen meals were more effective at helping study participants cut calories and stay full throughout the day than weight loss shakes.
- Heart health benefits were associated with consuming the MyPlate recommended amount of tomatoes.
- A special scientific session on sodium intake and health outcomes continues to question the benefit of reducing sodium intake to meet current sodium intake recommendations.
The Real Meal Solution to Cutting Calories: Single Serve Frozen Meals at Lunch Yield Greater 24-Hour Energy Intake Reduction Compared to Shakes
- Replacing typical meals with meal replacement shakes is a long-standing, effective option for those seeking to lose weight. When researchers compared replacing a typical lunch with either a single serve frozen meal or an equal calorie portion of a shake, unexpectedly, the single serve frozen meal led to greater daily calorie reduction than the shake.
- The greater benefit for reduced calories with the single serve frozen meal might have been related to less hunger. Study participants who replaced a typical lunch with a single-serve frozen meal were less hungry three hours after eating than when they replaced their lunch with a meal replacement shake.
- Both the single serve frozen meal and the shake helped people eat fewer daily calories than usual. Although participants could eat as much as desired, they didn't make up for fewer calories at lunch by eating more at subsequent meals and snacks, thus preserving the lunch calorie reduction. This finding suggests that replacing even one meal a day supports daily calorie reduction.
"The results from this study are exciting because they show that replacing a typical lunch meal with a frozen single-serve meal offers a low-effort way to eat less," says Kristin Reimers, PhD, RD, Nutrition Director, ConAgra Foods. "While meal replacement shakes have been effective in helping people lose weight, they exemplify "dieting" and lack the traditional meal experience. An unrecognized characteristic of most single-serve frozen meals is that they contain fewer calories than self-selected meals. Even those single-serve frozen meals that are not promoted for weight loss usually contain fewer than 450 calories."
Promote Heart Health with Just Two Servings of Tomatoes Each Day: Relationship of the Tomato Intake Amount Recommended in MyPlate to Cardiovascular Disease Risk Reduction
- The United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Choose MyPlate recommends eating more tomatoes than ever because of their nutritional benefits. New research reveals that the simple act of eating two servings of tomatoes each day may be as heart healthy as it is delicious. And for individuals who have very little tomato in their diet, it's especially heart healthy to add tomatoes.
- Researchers found that people who added canned tomatoes, sauce or paste in the approximate amount recommended by MyPlate (about two 1/2 cup servings) to their usual diet for six weeks had increased lycopene levels in their body. When similar lycopene levels were observed in large population-based studies, the greater lycopene levels were related to decreased risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Tomatoes are included in the red and orange vegetable group, and MyPlate recommends eating almost one cup (0.8 cups) daily of red and orange vegetables, mostly from tomatoes.
Sodium: Too much, too little or just right? Scientific Session on Sodium Intake and Health Outcomes
- During a diet revamp, people often focus on things to reduce, such as sodium. As part of a special session on sodium, nutrition and health experts examined the science to date regarding sodium intake. Surprisingly, the latest research does not support sodium intake reduction to current recommendations of 1,500 mg or even 2,300mg.
- In fact, the lowest risk for heart disease observed in a recently published study
1was associated with sodium intakes similar to average American sodium intakes.
- Additionally, new epidemiological evidence shows that sodium intake has been consistent across populations and geographies for decades, suggesting that sodium intake is resistant to change over time regardless of food supply and environmental, cultural and demographic differences.
"Nutrition science is a constant work in progress to develop guidelines that are the most beneficial for health," states Reimers. "Newly published science is bringing to light that reducing sodium intake to the currently recommended levels may not be helpful, and may even be harmful for some people. While the sodium science evolves, it's important to remember that heart health is much broader than sodium intake and is supported by a number of dietary and lifestyle factors, including maintaining a healthy weight; consuming a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products; avoiding excessive saturated and trans fats; maintaining a physically active lifestyle; moderating alcohol consumption and avoiding tobacco products."
This research was supported by ConAgra Foods, Inc., abstracts and posters available April 28, 2014, via http://www.conagrafoodsscienceinstitute.com/nutrition-research.jsp.
Abstracts are also published in the FASEB Journal:
ABOUT CONAGRA FOODS
ConAgra Foods, Inc. is one of North America's largest packaged food companies with branded and private branded food found in 99 percent of America's households, as well as a strong commercial foods business serving restaurants and foodservice operations globally. Consumers can find recognized brands such as Banquet®, Chef Boyardee®, Egg Beaters®, Healthy Choice®, Hebrew National®, Hunt's®, Marie Callender's®, Orville Redenbacher's®, PAM®, Peter Pan®, Reddi-wip®, Slim Jim®, Snack Pack® and many other ConAgra Foods brands, along with food sold by ConAgra Foods under private brand labels, in grocery, convenience, mass merchandise, club and drug stores. Additionally, ConAgra Foods supplies frozen potato and sweet potato products as well as other vegetable, spice, bakery and grain products to commercial and foodservice customers. ConAgra Foods operates ReadySetEat.com, an interactive recipe website that provides consumers with easy dinner recipes and more. For more information, please visit us at www.conagrafoods.com.
The following files are available for download:
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,528
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 983
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,547
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,934
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,727
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,858
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:06 AM EDT
I’m going to cry tonight, long and hard. I’ll do so as I remember and mourn Jeremy Geelan. I knew Jeremy for almost 20 years, from the time he showed up one day at Cloud Expo’s headquarters in Bergen County, New Jersey, and went to work. The show wasn’t called Cloud Expo then, of course – it was still known as Java Edge, a pioneering event that grabbed developers, architects, and enterprise IT users alike for twice-yearly confabs. Jeremy didn’t have a job there, or even a job offer. He was s...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,715
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 984
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,225
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,218
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,587
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,405
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,433
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 890