|By Marketwired .||
|April 29, 2014 01:13 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 04/29/14 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, decided to delve into another aspect of the alternative travel world. Recently, the team released a Go Here, Not There list highlighting alternative sites to some of the world's top attractions. This week, the team continues down this unconventional path with their list of Real or replica? 12 carbon copies of world-famous landmarks. As the saying goes -- "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" -- so if you can't make it to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, or to Italy to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, discover where to find worthy replicas of these landmarks and other world-famous attractions spread across the world.
Below are five of Cheapflights.ca's copycat landmark sites from across the globe that are found right here in Canada and the U.S.:
- Eiffel Tower replica, Paris, Texas, United States - Mais oui, there is another Tour d'Eiffel deep in le coeur de Texas. In fact, more than 30 copies of the iconic French landmark have been erected around the world -- from Filiatra, Greece to Durango, Mexico it seems everyone wants a little piece of Paris. But we're tipping our chapeau to this decidedly Texan Eiffel Tower, which is topped with none other than a red cowboy hat. Built in 1993, the replica stands at approximately 20 metres tall, making it about one-sixteenth the size of the original. The structure wasn't initially dressed to impress, but after duking it out over height with another replica in Paris, Tenn., a red hat sealed the deal, crowning this Texas landmark the taller of the two towers.
- Leaning Tower of Niles, Niles, Illinois, United States - What supposedly started, in part, as a way to cover up some eyesores quickly became a roadside attraction about 24 kilometres northwest of Chicago. Businessman Robert Ilg reportedly constructed the Leaning Tower of Niles -- a half-size replica of Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa -- in 1934 to disguise water tanks that fed a few pools in the area, and to pay tribute to Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei. A fountain, reflecting pool and a few other items were then added to the site in the 1990s when Niles was named Pisa's sister city. Standing at approximately 29 metres tall (compared to The Leaning Tower of Pisa's 56 metres), the tower is anchored by concrete and leans at a little more than 2 metres, about half the tilt of the original. Though some recent discussions have centred around the replica's need for repairs, the tower still serves as another ideal backdrop for those looking to show off some bogus brute strength by "propping up" the tower in a photo.
- The Colosseum replica, Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - There may not be too many epic battles taking place in this near-copy of the Colosseum (perhaps just a war of words?), but the building's architecture certainly seems to draw on all the drama of the Roman original. While not directly linked to the Colosseum, it's hard to disconnect Moshe Safdie's design from the Italian amphitheatre. Vancouver's seven-story Colosseum-like library took more than two years to complete; it opened in 1995, houses 1.2 million books and features free Wi-Fi. The building is actually a rectangle within an ellipse and has a seating capacity of 1,200 -- a far cry from the 50,000 to 80,000 spectators the Colosseum reportedly held.
- The Little Mermaid replica, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Copenhagen's iconic Little Mermaid statue -- inspired by a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale -- has been mimicked around the world (with the copies collectively known as the 'Mermaids of the Earth'). This Calgary-based copy is about half the size of the Copenhagen original. The statue depicts the central figure in Andersen's tale -- a mermaid who fell in love with a prince on land, procured legs from a sea witch in exchange for her voice, then had her heart broken when she couldn't tell the prince her feelings and he pursued another woman. Both the original version of the statue and this copy were done by Danish artist Edvard Christian Johannes Eriksen, but the replica was bought by the Danish Canadian Club of Calgary and given to the city of Calgary in the 1970s. You'll find the clone of this statue at the Calgary Convention Centre.
- London Bridge, Lake Havasu City, Arizona, United States - London Bridge...outside London?! Yep, it appears London Bridge made its way across the pond. The original in England was replaced in the 1830s, but even that version of London Bridge began to go the way of the nursery rhyme that bares its name: It turned out London Bridge was, indeed, falling down, which prompted a search for someone who would purchase the iconic London landmark. The winning bid came from the founder of Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Robert P. McCulloch. And so, for a mere USD $2,460,000, the old London Bridge was dismantled, transported to Arizona, reconstructed in Lake Havasu City and rededicated in 1971.
More international knock-offs to make our list that you can find in the U.S. include: The Parthenon replica, Centennial Park, Nashville, Tennessee; Foamhenge, Natural Bridge, Virginia; and of course for a one-stop-replica-sighting-shop check out Las Vegas, Nevada. And anyone travelling to the following overseas destinations can get more bang for their buck when they visit faux versions of famous landmarks from other countries, such as: The Statue of Liberty replica, Visnes, Norway; Mount Rushmore replica, Chongqing, China; The Taj Mahal replica, near Dhaka, Bangladesh; Cristo Rei, Lisbon, Portugal; and one-stop-shop replicas in Window of the World, Shenzhen, China and Parque Europa, Spain. To read the full details on these knock-offs and Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Real or replica? 12 carbon copies of world-famous landmarks, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/real-replica-12-carbon-copies-world-famous-landmarks.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2579039
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 27, 2016 02:12 PM EDT
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,975
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,141
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 27, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,164
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,812
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, will explore the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences betwee...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,626
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,219
SYS-CON Events announced today the Docker Meets Kubernetes – Intro into the Kubernetes World, being held June 9, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Register for 'Docker Meets Kubernetes Workshop' Here! This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele, co-founder of Loodse, introduces participants to Kubernetes (container orchestration). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, participants learn ...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,936
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 489
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Cole, Director of Solutions Engineering at Peak 10, will discuss how the newest technology advances are reducing the cost and complexity of traditional business continuity and disaster recovery solutions. Attendees will: Learn why having a full disaster recovery strategy is more important now than ever before Explore the key drivers of a successful disaster recovery solution Achieve measurable operational and business value from a disaster recovery ...
May. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,355
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,216
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hanu Software will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Leveraging best-in-class people, processes, and technologies, Hanu provides high-quality, high-value software development and business process outsourcing services to independent software vendors (ISVs) and enterprises.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,318
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,391
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,103