|By Marketwired .||
|April 29, 2014 01:13 PM EDT||
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 04/29/14 -- The travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, decided to delve into another aspect of the alternative travel world. Recently, the team released a Go Here, Not There list highlighting alternative sites to some of the world's top attractions. This week, the team continues down this unconventional path with their list of Real or replica? 12 carbon copies of world-famous landmarks. As the saying goes -- "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" -- so if you can't make it to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower, or to Italy to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, discover where to find worthy replicas of these landmarks and other world-famous attractions spread across the world.
Below are five of Cheapflights.ca's copycat landmark sites from across the globe that are found right here in Canada and the U.S.:
- Eiffel Tower replica, Paris, Texas, United States - Mais oui, there is another Tour d'Eiffel deep in le coeur de Texas. In fact, more than 30 copies of the iconic French landmark have been erected around the world -- from Filiatra, Greece to Durango, Mexico it seems everyone wants a little piece of Paris. But we're tipping our chapeau to this decidedly Texan Eiffel Tower, which is topped with none other than a red cowboy hat. Built in 1993, the replica stands at approximately 20 metres tall, making it about one-sixteenth the size of the original. The structure wasn't initially dressed to impress, but after duking it out over height with another replica in Paris, Tenn., a red hat sealed the deal, crowning this Texas landmark the taller of the two towers.
- Leaning Tower of Niles, Niles, Illinois, United States - What supposedly started, in part, as a way to cover up some eyesores quickly became a roadside attraction about 24 kilometres northwest of Chicago. Businessman Robert Ilg reportedly constructed the Leaning Tower of Niles -- a half-size replica of Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa -- in 1934 to disguise water tanks that fed a few pools in the area, and to pay tribute to Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei. A fountain, reflecting pool and a few other items were then added to the site in the 1990s when Niles was named Pisa's sister city. Standing at approximately 29 metres tall (compared to The Leaning Tower of Pisa's 56 metres), the tower is anchored by concrete and leans at a little more than 2 metres, about half the tilt of the original. Though some recent discussions have centred around the replica's need for repairs, the tower still serves as another ideal backdrop for those looking to show off some bogus brute strength by "propping up" the tower in a photo.
- The Colosseum replica, Vancouver Public Library, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - There may not be too many epic battles taking place in this near-copy of the Colosseum (perhaps just a war of words?), but the building's architecture certainly seems to draw on all the drama of the Roman original. While not directly linked to the Colosseum, it's hard to disconnect Moshe Safdie's design from the Italian amphitheatre. Vancouver's seven-story Colosseum-like library took more than two years to complete; it opened in 1995, houses 1.2 million books and features free Wi-Fi. The building is actually a rectangle within an ellipse and has a seating capacity of 1,200 -- a far cry from the 50,000 to 80,000 spectators the Colosseum reportedly held.
- The Little Mermaid replica, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Copenhagen's iconic Little Mermaid statue -- inspired by a Hans Christian Andersen fairytale -- has been mimicked around the world (with the copies collectively known as the 'Mermaids of the Earth'). This Calgary-based copy is about half the size of the Copenhagen original. The statue depicts the central figure in Andersen's tale -- a mermaid who fell in love with a prince on land, procured legs from a sea witch in exchange for her voice, then had her heart broken when she couldn't tell the prince her feelings and he pursued another woman. Both the original version of the statue and this copy were done by Danish artist Edvard Christian Johannes Eriksen, but the replica was bought by the Danish Canadian Club of Calgary and given to the city of Calgary in the 1970s. You'll find the clone of this statue at the Calgary Convention Centre.
- London Bridge, Lake Havasu City, Arizona, United States - London Bridge...outside London?! Yep, it appears London Bridge made its way across the pond. The original in England was replaced in the 1830s, but even that version of London Bridge began to go the way of the nursery rhyme that bares its name: It turned out London Bridge was, indeed, falling down, which prompted a search for someone who would purchase the iconic London landmark. The winning bid came from the founder of Lake Havasu City, Ariz., Robert P. McCulloch. And so, for a mere USD $2,460,000, the old London Bridge was dismantled, transported to Arizona, reconstructed in Lake Havasu City and rededicated in 1971.
More international knock-offs to make our list that you can find in the U.S. include: The Parthenon replica, Centennial Park, Nashville, Tennessee; Foamhenge, Natural Bridge, Virginia; and of course for a one-stop-replica-sighting-shop check out Las Vegas, Nevada. And anyone travelling to the following overseas destinations can get more bang for their buck when they visit faux versions of famous landmarks from other countries, such as: The Statue of Liberty replica, Visnes, Norway; Mount Rushmore replica, Chongqing, China; The Taj Mahal replica, near Dhaka, Bangladesh; Cristo Rei, Lisbon, Portugal; and one-stop-shop replicas in Window of the World, Shenzhen, China and Parque Europa, Spain. To read the full details on these knock-offs and Cheapflights.ca's complete list of Real or replica? 12 carbon copies of world-famous landmarks, visit www.cheapflights.ca/news/real-replica-12-carbon-copies-world-famous-landmarks.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.ca) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2579039
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Aug. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 322
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 30, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,585
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 891
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 957
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,774
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 851
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 952
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 30, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,036
SYS-CON Events announced today that Adobe has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of co...
Aug. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,773
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 653
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 868
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:20 PM EDT Reads: 267
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 30, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,234
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 804