|By Marketwired .||
|May 7, 2014 11:30 AM EDT||
SEATTLE, WA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/07/14 -- Washington Technology Industry Association (WTIA), the not-for-profit trade association that serves the networking, workforce development, and growth capital interests of technology companies in Washington state, today announced the top 15 never-seen-before, early-stage, growth-oriented startup companies selected to present at this year's Spring First Look Forum. First Look Forum, the association's signature investor showcase event, will take place on Wednesday, May 14th from 2:30pm to 7pm at the Davis, Wright, Tremaine LLP law offices in Seattle.
"This year's First Look Forum finalists demonstrate the depth and breadth of innovation at its earliest stages, across all industries taking place in Washington state," said Michael Schutzler, CEO of WTIA. "Showcasing everything from revolutionary new plastics and industrial coatings to the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform, our forum offers both angel and early stage venture capitalist investors the unique opportunity to be the first to discover these previously under-the-radar startups, our state's hidden gems."
Selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants, these top entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas for the very first time in front of panel of the region's top venture capitalists representing over 20 angel, venture and investment firms at the 2014 WTIA Spring First Look Forum:
1. BuildPulse (Brice Kosnik) BuildPulse analytics gives builders access to powerful insights from their building allowing them to anticipate issues, target areas to save money and spend less time hunting for problems and more time solving them.
2. Fastbar (Brenton Webster) FastBar increases bar revenue and improves the attendee experience with a cashless RFID payment system designed for pop-up events.
3. Gametiime (Jon Tam) Gametiime is Yelp for sports -- a social discovery service that connects the everyday athlete with events, products and services empowering them to pursue their passion.
4. Grow Plastics (Mike Waggoner) Grow Plastics is a materials science startup with a patent-pending technology to make the lightest, greenest and least expensive plastic materials.
5. Hopela (Irena Menn) Hopela helps passionate donors discover the local non-profit organizations all around them, donate at the moment of inspiration and keep track of all their charitable giving in one convenient place.
6. Joblie (Adam Dreiblatt) Joblie is the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform. Using the power of the crowd and their smart devices, clients get the business insights they need, when they need them.
7. Joggle (Tom McCann) Millions of people are adopting a life-long habit of engaging their minds through brain games. Joggle offers fun and challenging games with a large potential audience.
8. LuckySteps (Evan Henrich) LuckySteps offers mid-size companies in high-premium industries a simple, effective and fun workplace wellness program focused on physical activity promotion.
9. Magikflix (Mamtha Banerjee) Magikflix is an ad-free, safe, curated video service for kids aged 12 and under, with a Netflix-style interface, parental controls and engaging edutainment content.
10. MathChat (Sam Woodard) MathChat enables students to reach out to people they trust for help on their math homework using a real time collaboration platform on their mobile phones.
11. Pathful (Campbell McDonald) Pathful captures all visitor interactions on a website, including mobile gestures like touch, pinch and zoom. Instead of providing charts and graphs, Pathful pulls out actionable insights for marketers to improve conversion.
12. Ploto (Hari Sivaramakrishnan) Ploto empowers organizations to build great teams by enabling a data-driven approach to recruiting, hiring and managing talent.
13. PolyDrop (Volha Hrechka) PolyDrop's revolutionary additive transforms standard coatings into highly efficient dissipaters of electrostatic discharge.
14. StratoScientific (Mahesh Mulumudi) StratoScientific develops high quality medical devices that increase the accuracy of essential medical practices. Their portfolio of products includes the StethIO, a smartphone stethoscope for visualizing and hearing heart sounds and the LesionSizer, a device to decrease unnecessary stents in angioplasty due to inaccurate lesion length measurement.
15. Trialomics (Brig Mecham) The Trialomics platform saves companies massive amounts of money by turning genomic data analysis into a service.
WTIA has mobilized partners and sponsors from across the industry to put on this one-of-a-kind event. Partners and sponsors this year include Madrona Venture Group, Seattle's Founders Co-Op, Surf, and UpGlobal, Davis Wright Tremaine, Silicon Valley Bank, Foster Pepper, Moss Adams, Perkins Coi, Kutscher, Rhodes & Brenner Inc., Frommer Lawrence & Haug, Pivotal Presentations, among others. The event is open to entrepreneurs and investors to attend.
Each year, WTIA hosts more than 50 professional education and networking events created to assist companies in cultivating their businesses. To learn more about this and other events, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org/firstlookforum/.
About the Washington Technology Industry Association
Founded in 1984, the WTIA is a not-for profit industry trade association that supports technology companies and professionals, acting as a catalyst for growth and awareness of the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in Washington state. The WTIA helps Washington technology companies prosper through three major strategic initiatives: advocacy, workforce development and fostering technology-based economic growth in the state of Washington. For more information, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org.
Barokas Public Relations for WTIA
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 3, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,500
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 3, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 4,032
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Dec. 3, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,129
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Onalytica. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Dec. 3, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,993
In IT, we sometimes coin terms for things before we know exactly what they are and how they’ll be used. The resulting terms may capture a common set of aspirations and goals – as “cloud” did broadly for on-demand, self-service, and flexible computing. But such a term can also lump together diverse and even competing practices, technologies, and priorities to the point where important distinctions are glossed over and lost.
Dec. 3, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,463
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Dec. 3, 2016 04:00 PM EST Reads: 4,855
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of Soli...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,580
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 3,217
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 3, 2016 03:00 PM EST Reads: 466
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, sha...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 780
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 679
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 511
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 710
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to impr...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 6,949
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Dec. 3, 2016 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,478