|By Marketwired .||
|May 7, 2014 11:30 AM EDT||
SEATTLE, WA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/07/14 -- Washington Technology Industry Association (WTIA), the not-for-profit trade association that serves the networking, workforce development, and growth capital interests of technology companies in Washington state, today announced the top 15 never-seen-before, early-stage, growth-oriented startup companies selected to present at this year's Spring First Look Forum. First Look Forum, the association's signature investor showcase event, will take place on Wednesday, May 14th from 2:30pm to 7pm at the Davis, Wright, Tremaine LLP law offices in Seattle.
"This year's First Look Forum finalists demonstrate the depth and breadth of innovation at its earliest stages, across all industries taking place in Washington state," said Michael Schutzler, CEO of WTIA. "Showcasing everything from revolutionary new plastics and industrial coatings to the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform, our forum offers both angel and early stage venture capitalist investors the unique opportunity to be the first to discover these previously under-the-radar startups, our state's hidden gems."
Selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants, these top entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas for the very first time in front of panel of the region's top venture capitalists representing over 20 angel, venture and investment firms at the 2014 WTIA Spring First Look Forum:
1. BuildPulse (Brice Kosnik) BuildPulse analytics gives builders access to powerful insights from their building allowing them to anticipate issues, target areas to save money and spend less time hunting for problems and more time solving them.
2. Fastbar (Brenton Webster) FastBar increases bar revenue and improves the attendee experience with a cashless RFID payment system designed for pop-up events.
3. Gametiime (Jon Tam) Gametiime is Yelp for sports -- a social discovery service that connects the everyday athlete with events, products and services empowering them to pursue their passion.
4. Grow Plastics (Mike Waggoner) Grow Plastics is a materials science startup with a patent-pending technology to make the lightest, greenest and least expensive plastic materials.
5. Hopela (Irena Menn) Hopela helps passionate donors discover the local non-profit organizations all around them, donate at the moment of inspiration and keep track of all their charitable giving in one convenient place.
6. Joblie (Adam Dreiblatt) Joblie is the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform. Using the power of the crowd and their smart devices, clients get the business insights they need, when they need them.
7. Joggle (Tom McCann) Millions of people are adopting a life-long habit of engaging their minds through brain games. Joggle offers fun and challenging games with a large potential audience.
8. LuckySteps (Evan Henrich) LuckySteps offers mid-size companies in high-premium industries a simple, effective and fun workplace wellness program focused on physical activity promotion.
9. Magikflix (Mamtha Banerjee) Magikflix is an ad-free, safe, curated video service for kids aged 12 and under, with a Netflix-style interface, parental controls and engaging edutainment content.
10. MathChat (Sam Woodard) MathChat enables students to reach out to people they trust for help on their math homework using a real time collaboration platform on their mobile phones.
11. Pathful (Campbell McDonald) Pathful captures all visitor interactions on a website, including mobile gestures like touch, pinch and zoom. Instead of providing charts and graphs, Pathful pulls out actionable insights for marketers to improve conversion.
12. Ploto (Hari Sivaramakrishnan) Ploto empowers organizations to build great teams by enabling a data-driven approach to recruiting, hiring and managing talent.
13. PolyDrop (Volha Hrechka) PolyDrop's revolutionary additive transforms standard coatings into highly efficient dissipaters of electrostatic discharge.
14. StratoScientific (Mahesh Mulumudi) StratoScientific develops high quality medical devices that increase the accuracy of essential medical practices. Their portfolio of products includes the StethIO, a smartphone stethoscope for visualizing and hearing heart sounds and the LesionSizer, a device to decrease unnecessary stents in angioplasty due to inaccurate lesion length measurement.
15. Trialomics (Brig Mecham) The Trialomics platform saves companies massive amounts of money by turning genomic data analysis into a service.
WTIA has mobilized partners and sponsors from across the industry to put on this one-of-a-kind event. Partners and sponsors this year include Madrona Venture Group, Seattle's Founders Co-Op, Surf, and UpGlobal, Davis Wright Tremaine, Silicon Valley Bank, Foster Pepper, Moss Adams, Perkins Coi, Kutscher, Rhodes & Brenner Inc., Frommer Lawrence & Haug, Pivotal Presentations, among others. The event is open to entrepreneurs and investors to attend.
Each year, WTIA hosts more than 50 professional education and networking events created to assist companies in cultivating their businesses. To learn more about this and other events, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org/firstlookforum/.
About the Washington Technology Industry Association
Founded in 1984, the WTIA is a not-for profit industry trade association that supports technology companies and professionals, acting as a catalyst for growth and awareness of the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in Washington state. The WTIA helps Washington technology companies prosper through three major strategic initiatives: advocacy, workforce development and fostering technology-based economic growth in the state of Washington. For more information, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org.
Barokas Public Relations for WTIA
My team embarked on building a data lake for our sales and marketing data to better understand customer journeys. This required building a hybrid data pipeline to connect our cloud CRM with the new Hadoop Data Lake. One challenge is that IT was not in a position to provide support until we proved value and marketing did not have the experience, so we embarked on the journey ourselves within the product marketing team for our line of business within Progress. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Sum...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,073
The modern software development landscape consists of best practices and tools that allow teams to deliver software in a near-continuous manner. By adopting a culture of automation, measurement and sharing, the time to ship code has been greatly reduced, allowing for shorter release cycles and quicker feedback from customers and users. Still, with all of these tools and methods, how can teams stay on top of what is taking place across their infrastructure and codebase? Hopping between services a...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 9,895
Virtualization over the past years has become a key strategy for IT to acquire multi-tenancy, increase utilization, develop elasticity and improve security. And virtual machines (VMs) are quickly becoming a main vehicle for developing and deploying applications. The introduction of containers seems to be bringing another and perhaps overlapped solution for achieving the same above-mentioned benefits. Are a container and a virtual machine fundamentally the same or different? And how? Is one techn...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,092
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,877
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm.
Mar. 28, 2017 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,328
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 962
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,233
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,357
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,059
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with budd...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,050
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,644
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,328
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,200
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,597
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,932