|By Marketwired .||
|May 7, 2014 11:30 AM EDT||
SEATTLE, WA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/07/14 -- Washington Technology Industry Association (WTIA), the not-for-profit trade association that serves the networking, workforce development, and growth capital interests of technology companies in Washington state, today announced the top 15 never-seen-before, early-stage, growth-oriented startup companies selected to present at this year's Spring First Look Forum. First Look Forum, the association's signature investor showcase event, will take place on Wednesday, May 14th from 2:30pm to 7pm at the Davis, Wright, Tremaine LLP law offices in Seattle.
"This year's First Look Forum finalists demonstrate the depth and breadth of innovation at its earliest stages, across all industries taking place in Washington state," said Michael Schutzler, CEO of WTIA. "Showcasing everything from revolutionary new plastics and industrial coatings to the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform, our forum offers both angel and early stage venture capitalist investors the unique opportunity to be the first to discover these previously under-the-radar startups, our state's hidden gems."
Selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants, these top entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas for the very first time in front of panel of the region's top venture capitalists representing over 20 angel, venture and investment firms at the 2014 WTIA Spring First Look Forum:
1. BuildPulse (Brice Kosnik) BuildPulse analytics gives builders access to powerful insights from their building allowing them to anticipate issues, target areas to save money and spend less time hunting for problems and more time solving them.
2. Fastbar (Brenton Webster) FastBar increases bar revenue and improves the attendee experience with a cashless RFID payment system designed for pop-up events.
3. Gametiime (Jon Tam) Gametiime is Yelp for sports -- a social discovery service that connects the everyday athlete with events, products and services empowering them to pursue their passion.
4. Grow Plastics (Mike Waggoner) Grow Plastics is a materials science startup with a patent-pending technology to make the lightest, greenest and least expensive plastic materials.
5. Hopela (Irena Menn) Hopela helps passionate donors discover the local non-profit organizations all around them, donate at the moment of inspiration and keep track of all their charitable giving in one convenient place.
6. Joblie (Adam Dreiblatt) Joblie is the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform. Using the power of the crowd and their smart devices, clients get the business insights they need, when they need them.
7. Joggle (Tom McCann) Millions of people are adopting a life-long habit of engaging their minds through brain games. Joggle offers fun and challenging games with a large potential audience.
8. LuckySteps (Evan Henrich) LuckySteps offers mid-size companies in high-premium industries a simple, effective and fun workplace wellness program focused on physical activity promotion.
9. Magikflix (Mamtha Banerjee) Magikflix is an ad-free, safe, curated video service for kids aged 12 and under, with a Netflix-style interface, parental controls and engaging edutainment content.
10. MathChat (Sam Woodard) MathChat enables students to reach out to people they trust for help on their math homework using a real time collaboration platform on their mobile phones.
11. Pathful (Campbell McDonald) Pathful captures all visitor interactions on a website, including mobile gestures like touch, pinch and zoom. Instead of providing charts and graphs, Pathful pulls out actionable insights for marketers to improve conversion.
12. Ploto (Hari Sivaramakrishnan) Ploto empowers organizations to build great teams by enabling a data-driven approach to recruiting, hiring and managing talent.
13. PolyDrop (Volha Hrechka) PolyDrop's revolutionary additive transforms standard coatings into highly efficient dissipaters of electrostatic discharge.
14. StratoScientific (Mahesh Mulumudi) StratoScientific develops high quality medical devices that increase the accuracy of essential medical practices. Their portfolio of products includes the StethIO, a smartphone stethoscope for visualizing and hearing heart sounds and the LesionSizer, a device to decrease unnecessary stents in angioplasty due to inaccurate lesion length measurement.
15. Trialomics (Brig Mecham) The Trialomics platform saves companies massive amounts of money by turning genomic data analysis into a service.
WTIA has mobilized partners and sponsors from across the industry to put on this one-of-a-kind event. Partners and sponsors this year include Madrona Venture Group, Seattle's Founders Co-Op, Surf, and UpGlobal, Davis Wright Tremaine, Silicon Valley Bank, Foster Pepper, Moss Adams, Perkins Coi, Kutscher, Rhodes & Brenner Inc., Frommer Lawrence & Haug, Pivotal Presentations, among others. The event is open to entrepreneurs and investors to attend.
Each year, WTIA hosts more than 50 professional education and networking events created to assist companies in cultivating their businesses. To learn more about this and other events, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org/firstlookforum/.
About the Washington Technology Industry Association
Founded in 1984, the WTIA is a not-for profit industry trade association that supports technology companies and professionals, acting as a catalyst for growth and awareness of the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in Washington state. The WTIA helps Washington technology companies prosper through three major strategic initiatives: advocacy, workforce development and fostering technology-based economic growth in the state of Washington. For more information, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org.
Barokas Public Relations for WTIA
Ovum, a leading technology analyst firm, has published an in-depth report, Ovum Decision Matrix: Selecting a DevOps Release Management Solution, 2016–17. The report focuses on the automation aspects of DevOps, Release Management and compares solutions from the leading vendors.
Jul. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,590
Large scale deployments present unique planning challenges, system commissioning hurdles between IT and OT and demand careful system hand-off orchestration. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jeff Smith, Senior Director and a founding member of Incenergy, will discuss some of the key tactics to ensure delivery success based on his experience of the last two years deploying Industrial IoT systems across four continents.
Jul. 24, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,407
"This week we're really focusing on scalability, asset preservation and how do you back up to the cloud and in the cloud with object storage, which is really a new way of attacking dealing with your file, your blocked data, where you put it and how you access it," stated Jeff Greenwald, Senior Director of Market Development at HGST, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,358
When it comes to cloud computing, the ability to turn massive amounts of compute cores on and off on demand sounds attractive to IT staff, who need to manage peaks and valleys in user activity. With cloud bursting, the majority of the data can stay on premises while tapping into compute from public cloud providers, reducing risk and minimizing need to move large files. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Jeschonek, Director of Product Management at Avere Systems, discussed the IT and busin...
Jul. 24, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,727
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 24, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,083
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,428
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 24, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,287
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,968
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,864
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,919
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it is the most popular among the new wave of databases running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Advocate, Redis Labs, will share the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Jul. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,497
Most organizations prioritize data security only after their data has already been compromised. Proactive prevention is important, but how can you accomplish that on a small budget? Learn how the cloud, combined with a defense and in-depth approach, creates efficiencies by transferring and assigning risk. Security requires a multi-defense approach, and an in-house team may only be able to cherry pick from the essential components. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Vlad Friedman, CEO/Founder o...
Jul. 24, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,799
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 24, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,137
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Jul. 24, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 905
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. Commvault can ensure protection, access and E-Discovery of your data – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise. In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Randy De Meno, Chief Technologist - Windows Products and Microsoft Part...
Jul. 24, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,813