|By Marketwired .||
|May 7, 2014 11:30 AM EDT||
SEATTLE, WA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/07/14 -- Washington Technology Industry Association (WTIA), the not-for-profit trade association that serves the networking, workforce development, and growth capital interests of technology companies in Washington state, today announced the top 15 never-seen-before, early-stage, growth-oriented startup companies selected to present at this year's Spring First Look Forum. First Look Forum, the association's signature investor showcase event, will take place on Wednesday, May 14th from 2:30pm to 7pm at the Davis, Wright, Tremaine LLP law offices in Seattle.
"This year's First Look Forum finalists demonstrate the depth and breadth of innovation at its earliest stages, across all industries taking place in Washington state," said Michael Schutzler, CEO of WTIA. "Showcasing everything from revolutionary new plastics and industrial coatings to the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform, our forum offers both angel and early stage venture capitalist investors the unique opportunity to be the first to discover these previously under-the-radar startups, our state's hidden gems."
Selected from a pool of highly qualified applicants, these top entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to showcase their ideas for the very first time in front of panel of the region's top venture capitalists representing over 20 angel, venture and investment firms at the 2014 WTIA Spring First Look Forum:
1. BuildPulse (Brice Kosnik) BuildPulse analytics gives builders access to powerful insights from their building allowing them to anticipate issues, target areas to save money and spend less time hunting for problems and more time solving them.
2. Fastbar (Brenton Webster) FastBar increases bar revenue and improves the attendee experience with a cashless RFID payment system designed for pop-up events.
3. Gametiime (Jon Tam) Gametiime is Yelp for sports -- a social discovery service that connects the everyday athlete with events, products and services empowering them to pursue their passion.
4. Grow Plastics (Mike Waggoner) Grow Plastics is a materials science startup with a patent-pending technology to make the lightest, greenest and least expensive plastic materials.
5. Hopela (Irena Menn) Hopela helps passionate donors discover the local non-profit organizations all around them, donate at the moment of inspiration and keep track of all their charitable giving in one convenient place.
6. Joblie (Adam Dreiblatt) Joblie is the first mobile-only crowdsourcing platform. Using the power of the crowd and their smart devices, clients get the business insights they need, when they need them.
7. Joggle (Tom McCann) Millions of people are adopting a life-long habit of engaging their minds through brain games. Joggle offers fun and challenging games with a large potential audience.
8. LuckySteps (Evan Henrich) LuckySteps offers mid-size companies in high-premium industries a simple, effective and fun workplace wellness program focused on physical activity promotion.
9. Magikflix (Mamtha Banerjee) Magikflix is an ad-free, safe, curated video service for kids aged 12 and under, with a Netflix-style interface, parental controls and engaging edutainment content.
10. MathChat (Sam Woodard) MathChat enables students to reach out to people they trust for help on their math homework using a real time collaboration platform on their mobile phones.
11. Pathful (Campbell McDonald) Pathful captures all visitor interactions on a website, including mobile gestures like touch, pinch and zoom. Instead of providing charts and graphs, Pathful pulls out actionable insights for marketers to improve conversion.
12. Ploto (Hari Sivaramakrishnan) Ploto empowers organizations to build great teams by enabling a data-driven approach to recruiting, hiring and managing talent.
13. PolyDrop (Volha Hrechka) PolyDrop's revolutionary additive transforms standard coatings into highly efficient dissipaters of electrostatic discharge.
14. StratoScientific (Mahesh Mulumudi) StratoScientific develops high quality medical devices that increase the accuracy of essential medical practices. Their portfolio of products includes the StethIO, a smartphone stethoscope for visualizing and hearing heart sounds and the LesionSizer, a device to decrease unnecessary stents in angioplasty due to inaccurate lesion length measurement.
15. Trialomics (Brig Mecham) The Trialomics platform saves companies massive amounts of money by turning genomic data analysis into a service.
WTIA has mobilized partners and sponsors from across the industry to put on this one-of-a-kind event. Partners and sponsors this year include Madrona Venture Group, Seattle's Founders Co-Op, Surf, and UpGlobal, Davis Wright Tremaine, Silicon Valley Bank, Foster Pepper, Moss Adams, Perkins Coi, Kutscher, Rhodes & Brenner Inc., Frommer Lawrence & Haug, Pivotal Presentations, among others. The event is open to entrepreneurs and investors to attend.
Each year, WTIA hosts more than 50 professional education and networking events created to assist companies in cultivating their businesses. To learn more about this and other events, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org/firstlookforum/.
About the Washington Technology Industry Association
Founded in 1984, the WTIA is a not-for profit industry trade association that supports technology companies and professionals, acting as a catalyst for growth and awareness of the information and communications technology (ICT) sector in Washington state. The WTIA helps Washington technology companies prosper through three major strategic initiatives: advocacy, workforce development and fostering technology-based economic growth in the state of Washington. For more information, visit http://www.washingtontechnology.org.
Barokas Public Relations for WTIA
The modern software development landscape consists of best practices and tools that allow teams to deliver software in a near-continuous manner. By adopting a culture of automation, measurement and sharing, the time to ship code has been greatly reduced, allowing for shorter release cycles and quicker feedback from customers and users. Still, with all of these tools and methods, how can teams stay on top of what is taking place across their infrastructure and codebase? Hopping between services a...
Oct. 7, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 396
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Oct. 7, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 363
The cloud has reached mainstream IT. Those 18.7 million data centers out there (server closets to corporate data centers to colocation deployments) are moving to the cloud. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Achim Weiss, CEO & co-founder of ProfitBricks, will share how two companies – one in the U.S. and one in Germany – are achieving their goals with cloud infrastructure. More than a case study, he will share the details of how they prioritized their cloud computing infrastructure deployments ...
Oct. 7, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 689
NHK, Japan Broadcasting will feature upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special IoT documentary which will be filmed on the expo floor November 3 to 5, 2015 in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to BBC in UK and the largest in Asia with many award winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley. The program will be aired during the highest viewership season of ...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:45 AM EDT
Recently announced Azure Data Lake addresses the big data 3V challenges; volume, velocity and variety. It is one more storage feature in addition to blobs and SQL Azure database. Azure Data Lake (should have been Azure Data Ocean IMHO) is really omnipotent. Just look at the key capabilities of Azure Data Lake:
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 249
Decisions about budgets and resources are often made without IT even having a seat at the table. As technologist we understand the value of DevOps - but do your business counterparts? If they don't, your DevOps initiatives could lose funding before they start. In her session at DevOps Summit, Jeanne Morain, Strategist / Author at iSpeak Cloud, LLC, will provide insights on how to bridge the gap between business and technology leaders. Attendees will learn prescriptive guidance on balancing wor...
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 585
Interested in leveraging automation technologies and a cloud architecture to make developers more productive? Learn how PaaS can benefit your organization to help you streamline your application development, allow you to use existing infrastructure and improve operational efficiencies. Begin charting your path to PaaS with OpenShift Enterprise.
Oct. 7, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 508
SYS-CON Events announced today that Luxoft Holding, Inc., a leading provider of software development services and innovative IT solutions, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Luxoft’s software development services consist of core and mission-critical custom software development and support, product engineering and testing, and technology consulting.
Oct. 7, 2015 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 505
Developing software for the Internet of Things (IoT) comes with its own set of challenges. Security, privacy, and unified standards are a few key issues. In addition, each IoT product is comprised of at least three separate application components: the software embedded in the device, the backend big-data service, and the mobile application for the end user's controls. Each component is developed by a different team, using different technologies and practices, and deployed to a different stack/...
Oct. 7, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 127
Data loss happens, even in the cloud. In fact, if your company has adopted a cloud application in the past three years, data loss has probably happened, whether you know it or not. In his session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bryan Forrester, Senior Vice President of Sales at eFolder, will present how common and costly cloud application data loss is and what measures you can take to protect your organization from data loss.
Oct. 7, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 502
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
Oct. 6, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 660
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, Chief Architect at CTS, will explore the synergy of Big Data and IoT. First he will take a closer look at the Internet of Things and Big Data individually, in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. Then he will explore the relationship between IoT and Big Data. Specifically, he will drill down to how the 4Vs aspects intersect with IoT: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Value. In turn, Tony will analyze how the key components of IoT ...
Oct. 6, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 313
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT’s direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
Oct. 6, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 256
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Raxak has been named “Media & Session Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Raxak Protect automates security compliance across private and public clouds. Using the SaaS tool or managed service, developers can deploy cloud apps quickly, cost-effectively, and without error.
Oct. 6, 2015 04:40 PM EDT Reads: 111
As-a-service models offer huge opportunities, but also complicate security. It may seem that the easiest way to migrate to a new architectural model is to let others, experts in their field, do the work. This has given rise to many as-a-service models throughout the industry and across the entire technology stack, from software to infrastructure. While this has unlocked huge opportunities to accelerate the deployment of new capabilities or increase economic efficiencies within an organization, i...
Oct. 6, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 125