|By Business Wire||
|May 8, 2014 08:34 AM EDT||
A new report from Iron Mountain® Incorporated (NYSE: IRM), the storage and information management company, and TechTarget, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTGT), the technology media company, suggests organizations have room to improve when it comes to getting rid of old computers, cell phones, hard drives, servers and other data storage devices.
Titled Enterprises have Room for Improvement in Secure IT Asset Disposition, the newly released report indicates that while IT and business professionals have made advances in their efforts to securely dispose of data center, storage and office equipment, additional work is required to protect the information stored on these devices, comply with data privacy laws, and recoup some of the device’s original value through recycling. Some of the report’s key insights include:
- Organizations dispose of IT storage devices to avoid risk: More often than not, an organization’s goals in enacting a Secure IT Asset Disposition (SITAD) policy focus on mitigating risks like losing proprietary data (89 percent of respondents) or avoiding legal and compliance headaches associated with protecting privacy (74 percent). However, other positive benefits of a SITAD program like reducing space issues or recouping financial investments are largely overlooked, with the exception of sustainability, which 63 percent of respondents cite as a program goal.
- Enterprises struggle with SITAD program implementation and compliance: Almost half of respondents – 46 percent – acknowledged that they either don’t have a formal SITAD plan or that their formal plan isn’t widely adopted across their organization. Findings indicate that the lack of widespread compliance among employees stems from insufficient education about SITAD policies or inadequate oversight in how employees implement those policies.
- IT and business executives agree that SITAD is a significant concern: Three quarters of both business leaders and their IT counterparts state they are either concerned or very concerned about potential shortcomings in their SITAD programs. That concern doesn’t seem to translate into program improvements, however, due to the misperceptions that comprehensive programs cost more and that flaws in their current systems aren’t posing urgent risks for the organization.
- Third-party specialists are primarily utilized for hardware disposal: Sixty-four percent of respondents currently leverage outside SITAD experts to some degree – notably to dispose of hardware, including data center equipment like servers and computers and mobile phones. However, organizations can further leverage third-party specialists for guidance on strategy and success metrics. While cost is cited as the biggest obstacle in pursuing help from outside resources (45 percent of respondent), third-party experts can often save organizations money by assessing the value of decommissioned equipment and then recycling it to recoup a portion of the original investment.
“The secure disposition of IT assets will continue to be a top priority for organizations as we face increasingly complex technological, legal and compliance environments,” said Jay Livens, director of product and solutions marketing, data management, Iron Mountain. “When looking to properly dispose of computers, cell phones, servers and other storage devices, organizations should do so in a compliant, environmentally correct manner to ensure they’re meeting all internal and external data privacy requirements and recouping the maximum economic value from their used equipment.”
In light of the survey’s findings, Iron Mountain offers the following SITAD tips and best practices:
- Ensure all computer media and associated data is permanently destroyed and non-recoverable before disposing of the storage device.
- Establish a defensible, documented, and repeatable process to prepare, handle or transport, and destroy the data that resides on electronic media.
- Improve audit readiness using workflows that include security personnel assigned to monitor the destruction process.
- Ensure media scheduled for offsite destruction is securely transported with dedicated routes, 24x7 GPS tracking, thoroughly vetted drivers and a well-documented chain-of-custody.
- Avoid inadvertent disclosures by destroying sensitive or unencrypted data in the right manner at the right time.
- Establish methodologies that ensure reliability and consistency from collection through final destruction of end-of-life IT assets.
- Pursuing third-party vendors that are e-Stewards Certified Recyclers, meaning they adhere to the highest standard of environmental responsibility and worker safety, while protecting human health and the global environment.
TechTarget’s study was based on 125 responses from registered visitors to SearchDataCenter.com. The full report with complete survey data is available at www.ironmountain.com/itassets
About Iron Mountain
Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) is a leading provider of storage and information management services. The company’s real estate network of over 67 million square feet across more than 1,000 facilities in 36 countries allows it to serve customers with speed and accuracy. And its solutions for records management, data management, document management, and secure shredding help organizations to lower storage costs, comply with regulations, recover from disaster, and better use their information for business advantage. Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain stores and protects billions of information assets, including business documents, backup tapes, electronic files and medical data. Visit www.ironmountain.com for more information.
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 566
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,400
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,015
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,026
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,604
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will discuss how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Oct. 25, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 936
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,850
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,175
So you think you are a DevOps warrior, huh? Put your money (not really, it’s free) where your metrics are and prove it by taking The Ultimate DevOps Geek Quiz Challenge, sponsored by DevOps Summit. Battle through the set of tough questions created by industry thought leaders to earn your bragging rights and win some cool prizes.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,057
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,981
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,850
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,015
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,376
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,042
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,347