|By Business Wire||
|May 12, 2014 12:05 PM EDT||
Turkcell (NYSE:TKC) (BIST:TCELL), Turkey’s leading telecommunications and technology company, released its third sustainability report which covers the years 2012-2013. The report’s compatibility with global reporting standards was endorsed by Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) which rated the report as Level B. The ascent from previous years’ Level C grade proves Turkcell’s commitment to greater transparency in reporting its economic, social and environmental sustainability performance.
Turkcell is a signatory to UN Global Compact since 2007 and has been sharing its performance on sustainability with the public since 2009. Its 3rd Sustainability Report consists of 3 sub-categories:
- Economic Impact includes the impact of Turkcell’s business on the nation’s economy, Turkcell’s innovative products, services and R&D efforts such as the innovative M2M business solutions
- Social Impact covers Turkcell’s human resources and Customer Relations Management practices, corporate citizenship projects
- Environmental Impact includes M2M solutions for energy efficiency, energy management, waste reduction and low carbon emission practices
Highlights of the report include Turkcell’s commitment to
- creating value for the Turkish economy: Turkcell’s M2M services and products helped save 750 million USD in 2013 alone, mostly due to fuel savings made possible by smart vehicle solutions
- energy conservation: Turkcell saved 58.3 million KWh in 2013 with its network improvements, equaling the average energy consumption of 21.477 households in Turkey
- protecting the environment: Turkcell’s electronic billing helped save 6.000 trees per year
- research and development: More than 700 researchers carried out 2.4 million hours of engineering research in 2013
- equal employment opportunities: 51% of Turkcell employees are women
- using local resources: 92% of Turkcell suppliers are local
- developing the economy as a whole: Turkcell’s partner network with 200 companies is one of the largest in the country. Turkcell’s “Developers of the Future” provides online coding training for 15,000 community members regardless of their relationship with Turkcell.
“Since the foundation of our company, we used technology to improve lives and support sustainable development. We are more than aware that sustainability is the driving force in both corporate and industrial transformation. Our approach when designing telecommunications solutions is to make sure that we create resources for future generations as well as meeting the needs of the day” said Turkcell Deputy General Manager Burak Sevilengul.
For the first time this year, the report features stakeholders’ opinions in addition to Turkcell’s accomplishments. Stakeholders who commented in the report include clients, suppliers, employees and NGOs.
This year’s report is shared only online in order to avoid negative environmental impacts of paper printing. The full English version of the report can be viewed at http://d.turkcell.com.tr/Downloads/hakkimizda/pdf/turkcell-sustainability-report-2012-13-en.pdf
ABOUT TURKCELL: Turkcell is the leading communications and technology company in Turkey, with 34.8 million subscribers as of March 31, 2014. Turkcell is a leading regional player with its approximately 70.1 million subscribers in nine countries as of March 31, 2014. It has become one of the first among the global operators to have implemented HSPA+. It has achieved up to 43.2 Mbps speed using the Dual Carrier technology, and is continuously working to provide the latest technology to its customers. Turkcell Superonline, a wholly owned subsidiary of Turkcell, is the first telecom operator to offer households fiber broadband connection at speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps in Turkey. As of December 2013, Turkcell’s population coverage is at 99.49% in 2G and 86.17% in 3G. Turkcell reported a TRY2.9 billion (US$1.3 billion) revenue with total assets of TRY21.5 billion (US$9.8 billion) as of March 31, 2014. It has been listed on the NYSE and the BIST since July 2000, and is the only NYSE-listed company in Turkey. Read more at www.turkcell.com.tr
You can now follow the most up-to-date Turkcell developments on Twitter:
Oct. 1, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,912
Oct. 1, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 792
Oct. 1, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,934
Oct. 1, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,791
Oct. 1, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,334
Oct. 1, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 630
Oct. 1, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,434
Oct. 1, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,752
Oct. 1, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 570
Oct. 1, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,812
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,657
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,479
Oct. 1, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,127
Oct. 1, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Oct. 1, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,977