|By Business Wire||
|May 12, 2014 02:04 PM EDT||
In a testimony to pitching’s recent dominance in college baseball, four of the five finalists for the 2014 C Spire Ferriss Trophy, which annually goes to Mississippi’s top performer, are stellar pitchers.
Not only are they leading their respective leagues in most statistical categories, but several of the players vying for the award are considered among the best in the nation at their position. Finalists include Ole Miss’ Auston Bousfield and Chris Ellis, Mississippi State’s Ross Mitchell and Jacob Lindgren and Belhaven University’s Tyler Akins.
2014 finalists, as determined by professional baseball scouts who cover Mississippi and college coaches, (in alphabetical order):
- Akins, a senior from Madison, Miss., leads the NAIA nationally in saves. He pitches and plays first base for the Blazers. He has a 3-1 record with a 1.81 earned run average and 17 saves. As a hitter, Akins is second on the team with a .340 average and leads the team with 25 extra base hits and 47 RBI.
- Bousfield, the Rebels’ junior outfielder from Oakland, Florida, is leading the Southeastern Conference in hitting this year. He is hitting .367 with 21 extra base hits and 40 RBI. Bousfield has stolen 15 bases (in 16 tries) and played error-free ball in the field throughout the season.
- Ellis, the Rebels Friday night starting pitcher, has a perfect 8-0 record. A junior from Birmingham, Ala., Ellis has a 1.96 earned run average and opponents are hitting .258 against him.
- Lindgren, the Bulldogs junior relief pitcher from Bay St. Louis, has struck out nearly two batters for every inning he has pitched this year. He has a 4-1 record with a 1.01 ERA and has fanned 82 batters in 44 innings. Opposing teams are batting .125 against him.
- Mitchell, a junior starting pitcher for the Bulldogs from Smyrna, Tenn., has compiled a 7-4 record with a 1.98 ERA this season. Opponents have averaged .215 off him.
For the first time in the award’s history, fan voting will count for 10 percent of the 2014 Ferriss Trophy. A 24-member panel of the state’s college baseball coaches and Major League baseball scouts whose territory includes Mississippi will comprise the remaining 90 percent of the voting.
The C Spire Ferriss Trophy will be awarded during a May 19 luncheon program at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum in Jackson. All five finalists and their coaches are expected to attend the program.
Tickets are $35 each and available by calling the MSHOF offices or by going online at http://msfame.com/c-spire-ferriss-trophy/. Instead of a guest speaker this year, Ferriss will do a question and answer session with audience participation.
The Ferriss Trophy presented by C Spire is named after Mississippi baseball legend Dave “Boo” Ferriss, who played for Mississippi State and the Boston Red Sox and was the long-time head baseball coach at Delta State University.
2014 marks the 18th anniversary of the Outstanding Player Awards presentation. C Spire has served as title sponsor for 15 of those years since 1998. The Conerly Trophy in college football, the Howell Trophy in men’s college basketball, the Gillom Trophy in women’s college basketball and the Ferriss Trophy in college baseball comprise the four elements of the C Spire Wireless Outstanding Player Award series.
About C Spire
C Spire is a diversified telecommunications and technology services company that provides world-class, customer-inspired wireless communications, 1 Gigabit consumer Internet access as well as a full suite of dedicated Internet, wireless, IP Voice, data and cloud services for businesses. This news release and other announcements are available at www.cspire.com/news. For more information about C Spire, visit www.cspire.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cspire or Twitter at www.twitter.com/cspire.
Aug. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,924
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 665
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,598
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,910
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 717
Aug. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,482
Aug. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 736
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,650
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,414
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 843
Aug. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 678
Aug. 28, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,952
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,121
Aug. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 694
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 852