|By Marketwired .||
|May 13, 2014 11:34 AM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/14 -- Seventy-five years ago, Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion hit the big screen in the famous musical film "The Wizard of Oz." This year, 2014, marks the 75th anniversary of this much-beloved classic. Although the movie was released in 1939, the film was adapted from the 1900 children's novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum, who was born on May 15th, 1856. So in honor of the movie's milestone anniversary and its creator's birthday this week, the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, take you on a stroll down the yellow brick road to discover the Top 10 Wizard of Oz Destinations.
In celebration of this classic piece of cinematic history, here is a selection of five destinations from our list that every Wizard of Oz fan should visit:
- Wamego, Kansas, United States - You can't have the Wizard of Oz without Kansas so it's fitting that both a Wizard of Oz Museum and festival are found in the state. The small town of Wamego is as close to a living Oz shrine as you can get with local businesses and residents getting in on the act. Founded in 2004, the Oz Museum holds more than 25,000 Oz and L. Frank Baum artifacts featuring everything from first edition books to rare collectibles. OZtoberFest was launched in autumn of 2005 and is built around all the works of L. Frank Baum. This year's schedule hasn't been released yet, but you can expect special guests, performances, parties, fairs and contests.
- Sony Pictures Studios (MGM Studios), Culver City, California, United States - Take a step back in time and into the footsteps of the 1939 Oz cast and crew with a tour of Sony Pictures Studios. While it was called MGM Studios back in the day, this is where the Yellow Brick Road wound through Munchkinland and the land of Oz was brought to life. Tour the working studio to find out all about the glory days of MGM and visit the soundstages and sets used for your favorite productions all the way up to the present day.
- "Wicked," Worldwide - A revisionist prequel to Oz, the musical "Wicked" tells the untold story of the witches of Oz. Based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, the wildly popular musical traces how a young witch called Elphaba (the phonetic pronunciation of L. Frank Baum's initials) became the Wicked Witch of the West. "Wicked" premiered on Broadway in October 2003 and since then has gone on to play in theaters around the world building a dedicated fan base along the way.
- Chittenango, New York, United States - Located in Madison County, New York, the village of Chittenango has a population of more than 5,000 and is the birthplace of "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" author L. Frank Baum. In honor of its most famous son, Chittenango hosts an annual three-day festival called Oz-Stravaganza! (formerly Oz Fest) over the first weekend of June. This year's festival theme is Timeless Oz and will be held from June 6-8. Residents and visitors will make a World Record attempt for the most people dressed as characters from The Wizard of Oz. Aside from the festival, the Oz theme continues to several local shops such as Auntie Em's Place, Over the Rainbow Crafts, Tin Man Construction, Emerald City Grill and Emerald City Bowling and the downtown section of Genesee Street -- the town's very own Yellow Brick Road.
- Autumn at Oz, Beech Mountain, North Carolina, United States - In its 1970s heyday, the Oz-themed Beech Mountain theme park attracted around 20,000 visitors a day. Based on the books rather than the film, families came every summer to follow the Yellow Brick Road and hang out with Dorothy and her friends until a fire destroyed the Emerald City in 1976 and it was eventually abandoned. The park stayed this way for many years and was picked over by vandals until a group of former employees got together to repair and reopen the Land of Oz. For the last 21 years the park has opened for one weekend a year for an event called "Autumn at Oz." This year's event will be held from Oct. 4-5. Tickets go on sale in July and there are guided tours of Oz taking place every Friday in June.
For more "Over the Rainbow" memories, check out these five must-see Wizard of Oz spots that round out our list: "Wizard of Oz Musical," North America; The Ruby Slippers, National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, United States; Judy Garland Museum, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, United States; Hollywood Walk of Fame, LA, California, United States; and Hollywood Forever Cemetery, LA, California, United States. To find out more details on these and to read Cheapflights.com's complete Top 10 Wizard of Oz Destinations, visit to www.cheapflights.com/news/top-10-wizard-of-oz-destinations.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2591927
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 28, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,712
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 337
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,798
Creating replica copies to tolerate a certain number of failures is easy, but very expensive at cloud-scale. Conventional RAID has lower overhead, but it is limited in the number of failures it can tolerate. And the management is like herding cats (overseeing capacity, rebuilds, migrations, and degraded performance). Download Slide Deck: ▸ Here In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing for the HGST Cloud Infrastructure Business Unit, discusse...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,420
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,854
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,469
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of So...
Sep. 28, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,479
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 346
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,307
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 4,139
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,863
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,740
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,316
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 28, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,924
We’ve been doing it for years, decades for some. How many websites have you created accounts on? Your bank, your credit card companies, social media sites, hotels and travel sites, online shopping sites, and that’s just the start. We do it often without even thinking about it, quickly entering our personal information, our data, in a plethora of systems. Sometimes we’re not even aware of the information we are providing. It could be very personal information (think of the security questions you ...
Sep. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,777