|By Marketwired .||
|May 13, 2014 11:34 AM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/14 -- Seventy-five years ago, Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion hit the big screen in the famous musical film "The Wizard of Oz." This year, 2014, marks the 75th anniversary of this much-beloved classic. Although the movie was released in 1939, the film was adapted from the 1900 children's novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum, who was born on May 15th, 1856. So in honor of the movie's milestone anniversary and its creator's birthday this week, the travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, take you on a stroll down the yellow brick road to discover the Top 10 Wizard of Oz Destinations.
In celebration of this classic piece of cinematic history, here is a selection of five destinations from our list that every Wizard of Oz fan should visit:
- Wamego, Kansas, United States - You can't have the Wizard of Oz without Kansas so it's fitting that both a Wizard of Oz Museum and festival are found in the state. The small town of Wamego is as close to a living Oz shrine as you can get with local businesses and residents getting in on the act. Founded in 2004, the Oz Museum holds more than 25,000 Oz and L. Frank Baum artifacts featuring everything from first edition books to rare collectibles. OZtoberFest was launched in autumn of 2005 and is built around all the works of L. Frank Baum. This year's schedule hasn't been released yet, but you can expect special guests, performances, parties, fairs and contests.
- Sony Pictures Studios (MGM Studios), Culver City, California, United States - Take a step back in time and into the footsteps of the 1939 Oz cast and crew with a tour of Sony Pictures Studios. While it was called MGM Studios back in the day, this is where the Yellow Brick Road wound through Munchkinland and the land of Oz was brought to life. Tour the working studio to find out all about the glory days of MGM and visit the soundstages and sets used for your favorite productions all the way up to the present day.
- "Wicked," Worldwide - A revisionist prequel to Oz, the musical "Wicked" tells the untold story of the witches of Oz. Based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, the wildly popular musical traces how a young witch called Elphaba (the phonetic pronunciation of L. Frank Baum's initials) became the Wicked Witch of the West. "Wicked" premiered on Broadway in October 2003 and since then has gone on to play in theaters around the world building a dedicated fan base along the way.
- Chittenango, New York, United States - Located in Madison County, New York, the village of Chittenango has a population of more than 5,000 and is the birthplace of "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" author L. Frank Baum. In honor of its most famous son, Chittenango hosts an annual three-day festival called Oz-Stravaganza! (formerly Oz Fest) over the first weekend of June. This year's festival theme is Timeless Oz and will be held from June 6-8. Residents and visitors will make a World Record attempt for the most people dressed as characters from The Wizard of Oz. Aside from the festival, the Oz theme continues to several local shops such as Auntie Em's Place, Over the Rainbow Crafts, Tin Man Construction, Emerald City Grill and Emerald City Bowling and the downtown section of Genesee Street -- the town's very own Yellow Brick Road.
- Autumn at Oz, Beech Mountain, North Carolina, United States - In its 1970s heyday, the Oz-themed Beech Mountain theme park attracted around 20,000 visitors a day. Based on the books rather than the film, families came every summer to follow the Yellow Brick Road and hang out with Dorothy and her friends until a fire destroyed the Emerald City in 1976 and it was eventually abandoned. The park stayed this way for many years and was picked over by vandals until a group of former employees got together to repair and reopen the Land of Oz. For the last 21 years the park has opened for one weekend a year for an event called "Autumn at Oz." This year's event will be held from Oct. 4-5. Tickets go on sale in July and there are guided tours of Oz taking place every Friday in June.
For more "Over the Rainbow" memories, check out these five must-see Wizard of Oz spots that round out our list: "Wizard of Oz Musical," North America; The Ruby Slippers, National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, United States; Judy Garland Museum, Grand Rapids, Minnesota, United States; Hollywood Walk of Fame, LA, California, United States; and Hollywood Forever Cemetery, LA, California, United States. To find out more details on these and to read Cheapflights.com's complete Top 10 Wizard of Oz Destinations, visit to www.cheapflights.com/news/top-10-wizard-of-oz-destinations.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2591927
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 373
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 369
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 361
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 462
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 373
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 313
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 29, 2015 03:45 PM EDT
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 420
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 29, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 196
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 142
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 139
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 29, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 147
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 196
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 197
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 242