|By Business Wire||
|May 14, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its new M2M Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, which provides insights into the machine-to-machine (M2M) market – also referred to as the Internet of Things (IoT) – through the eyes of service providers providing or planning to offer M2M services.
“Service provider focus and prioritization of the M2M segment has been a relatively recent phenomenon, but as our latest M2M service provider survey shows, M2M is now scaling to be a significant business for a good number of providers around the world,” notes Godfrey Chua, directing analyst for M2M and The Internet of Things at Infonetics Research.
Continues Chua: “The leading tier of M2M players have committed meaningful resources to developing their M2M businesses and now have significant scale to show for it — between 2 million to just under 10 million M2M connections. They have strategies in place and have created standalone M2M business units comprised of overlay go-to-market and technical organizations. M2M is no longer just an extension of the enterprise business unit for these
SELECT M2M STRATEGY SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Over half of the service providers participating in Infonetics’ survey have sizeable M2M businesses (i.e., providing at least 1 million M2M connections to customers)
- The automotive/transport/logistics and utility segments together account for nearly half of all M2M connections
- M2M is still predominately 2G: LTE remains nascent, making up only 1% of total devices; however, both 2G and LTE are expected to be the fastest-growing M2M access technologies in the near term
- National coverage tops the list of M2M solution features rated very important by respondents, followed by web-based management tools and service-level agreements (SLAs)
- For many service providers entering the M2M space, a service platform is key to jump-starting an M2M business: Those surveyed most often named Jasper Wireless and Ericsson as the top M2M platform providers
- Meanwhile, 55% of respondents are using internally-developed M2M service platforms
M2M / INTERNET OF THINGS WEBINAR
Join analyst Godfrey Chua Tuesday, MAY 20 for a free webinar, The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT, examining how SDPs enable innovative M2M applications. Learn more at http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=784573&s=1&k=C2AB100CE6CFF27D960122D6B7595AF5.
M2M SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 26-page M2M strategies survey, Infonetics interviewed 20 M2M service providers from around the globe that together represent over one-fourth of total worldwide service provider revenue and capital expenditures. The study looks at M2M services offered (connectivity/communications, installation/provisioning, data reporting, etc.); connections; access technologies (GSM/GPRS, HSPA/HSPA+, CDMA/EVDO, fiber, LTE, etc.); service features (coverage, management tools, SLAs, pricing, support); devices (connected cameras, meters, kiosks, point of sale terminals, etc.); service revenue (by region and vertical); and service providers’ opinions of service delivery platform (SDP) and application enablement platform (AEP) vendors. To buy the M2M report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- As businesses turn to the Internet of Things for growth, M2M WAN connections set to triple
- Enterprises look to M2M services to get a leg up on competition
- Vendor consolidation continues in mobile M2M module market
- M2M services forecast to hit $31 billion, M2M connections to top 4 billion by 2017
- APIs playing key role in service delivery platform and M2M markets
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
- M2M Connections & Services by Vertical Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Mobile M2M Modules Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Worldwide M2M Service Provider Leadership Analysis (May)
- Home Automation & Connected Home Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (May)
- The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT (May 20: Attend)
- Unlocking Revenues with Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Wholesale E-Access (May 29: Attend)
- How to Get the Best Out of DAS, LTE, Small Cells, and WiFi (June 5: Attend)
- Diameter Signaling Control for LTE Networks (June 12: Attend)
- How Connected Cars Drive Revenue for M2M Service Providers (Sponsor)
- The Role of Policy and Charging in M2M (Sponsor)
- Reinventing the Economics of Healthcare with M2M (Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, [email protected], +1-408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, [email protected], +1-408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, [email protected], +44-755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Oct. 13, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 208
Oct. 13, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 183
Oct. 13, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 162
Oct. 13, 2015 08:00 AM EDT
Oct. 13, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,010
Oct. 13, 2015 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 196
Oct. 13, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,093
Oct. 13, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 681
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 326
There are so many tools and techniques for data analytics that even for a data scientist the choices, possible systems, and even the types of data can be daunting. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Harrold, Global CTO for Big Data Solutions for EMC Corporation, will show how to perform a simple, but meaningful analysis of social sentiment data using freely available tools that take only minutes to download and install. Participants will get the download information, scripts, and complete en...
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 406
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Oct. 13, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 258
IT data is typically silo'd by the various tools in place. Unifying all the log, metric and event data in one analytics platform stops finger pointing and provides the end-to-end correlation. Logs, metrics and custom event data can be joined to tell the holistic story of your software and operations. For example, users can correlate code deploys to system performance to application error codes.
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 330
Achim Weiss is Chief Executive Officer and co-founder of ProfitBricks. In 1995, he broke off his studies to co-found the web hosting company "Schlund+Partner." The company "Schlund+Partner" later became the 1&1 web hosting product line. From 1995 to 2008, he was the technical director for several important projects: the largest web hosting platform in the world, the second largest DSL platform, a video on-demand delivery network, the largest eMail backend in Europe, and a universal billing syste...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 352
Between the compelling mockups and specs produced by analysts, and resulting applications built by developers, there exists a gulf where projects fail, costs spiral, and applications disappoint. Methodologies like Agile attempt to address this with intensified communication, with partial success but many limitations. In his session at DevOps Summit, Charles Kendrick, CTO and Chief Architect at Isomorphic Software, will present a revolutionary model enabled by new technologies. Learn how busine...
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 392
Interested in leveraging automation technologies and a cloud architecture to make developers more productive? Learn how PaaS can benefit your organization to help you streamline your application development, allow you to use existing infrastructure and improve operational efficiencies. Begin charting your path to PaaS with OpenShift Enterprise.
Oct. 13, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 658