|By Business Wire||
|May 14, 2014 03:03 AM EDT||
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its new M2M Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, which provides insights into the machine-to-machine (M2M) market – also referred to as the Internet of Things (IoT) – through the eyes of service providers providing or planning to offer M2M services.
“Service provider focus and prioritization of the M2M segment has been a relatively recent phenomenon, but as our latest M2M service provider survey shows, M2M is now scaling to be a significant business for a good number of providers around the world,” notes Godfrey Chua, directing analyst for M2M and The Internet of Things at Infonetics Research.
Continues Chua: “The leading tier of M2M players have committed meaningful resources to developing their M2M businesses and now have significant scale to show for it — between 2 million to just under 10 million M2M connections. They have strategies in place and have created standalone M2M business units comprised of overlay go-to-market and technical organizations. M2M is no longer just an extension of the enterprise business unit for these
SELECT M2M STRATEGY SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Over half of the service providers participating in Infonetics’ survey have sizeable M2M businesses (i.e., providing at least 1 million M2M connections to customers)
- The automotive/transport/logistics and utility segments together account for nearly half of all M2M connections
- M2M is still predominately 2G: LTE remains nascent, making up only 1% of total devices; however, both 2G and LTE are expected to be the fastest-growing M2M access technologies in the near term
- National coverage tops the list of M2M solution features rated very important by respondents, followed by web-based management tools and service-level agreements (SLAs)
- For many service providers entering the M2M space, a service platform is key to jump-starting an M2M business: Those surveyed most often named Jasper Wireless and Ericsson as the top M2M platform providers
- Meanwhile, 55% of respondents are using internally-developed M2M service platforms
M2M / INTERNET OF THINGS WEBINAR
Join analyst Godfrey Chua Tuesday, MAY 20 for a free webinar, The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT, examining how SDPs enable innovative M2M applications. Learn more at http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=784573&s=1&k=C2AB100CE6CFF27D960122D6B7595AF5.
M2M SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 26-page M2M strategies survey, Infonetics interviewed 20 M2M service providers from around the globe that together represent over one-fourth of total worldwide service provider revenue and capital expenditures. The study looks at M2M services offered (connectivity/communications, installation/provisioning, data reporting, etc.); connections; access technologies (GSM/GPRS, HSPA/HSPA+, CDMA/EVDO, fiber, LTE, etc.); service features (coverage, management tools, SLAs, pricing, support); devices (connected cameras, meters, kiosks, point of sale terminals, etc.); service revenue (by region and vertical); and service providers’ opinions of service delivery platform (SDP) and application enablement platform (AEP) vendors. To buy the M2M report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- As businesses turn to the Internet of Things for growth, M2M WAN connections set to triple
- Enterprises look to M2M services to get a leg up on competition
- Vendor consolidation continues in mobile M2M module market
- M2M services forecast to hit $31 billion, M2M connections to top 4 billion by 2017
- APIs playing key role in service delivery platform and M2M markets
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
- M2M Connections & Services by Vertical Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Mobile M2M Modules Market Size & Forecasts (Apr.)
- Worldwide M2M Service Provider Leadership Analysis (May)
- Home Automation & Connected Home Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (May)
- The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M and IoT (May 20: Attend)
- Unlocking Revenues with Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Wholesale E-Access (May 29: Attend)
- How to Get the Best Out of DAS, LTE, Small Cells, and WiFi (June 5: Attend)
- Diameter Signaling Control for LTE Networks (June 12: Attend)
- How Connected Cars Drive Revenue for M2M Service Providers (Sponsor)
- The Role of Policy and Charging in M2M (Sponsor)
- Reinventing the Economics of Healthcare with M2M (Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, [email protected], +1-408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, [email protected], +1-408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, [email protected], +44-755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Nov. 24, 2015 04:30 PM EST Reads: 279
Nov. 24, 2015 03:45 PM EST
Nov. 24, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 458
Nov. 24, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 132
Nov. 24, 2015 03:30 PM EST Reads: 506
Nov. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 402
Nov. 24, 2015 03:00 PM EST Reads: 281
Nov. 24, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 256
Nov. 24, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 415
Nov. 24, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 404
Nov. 24, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 332
Nov. 24, 2015 01:30 PM EST Reads: 485
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 24, 2015 01:30 PM EST
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 24, 2015 01:30 PM EST Reads: 479
We are rapidly moving to a brave new world of interconnected smart homes, cars, offices and factories known as the Internet of Things (IoT). Sensors and monitoring devices will touch every part of our lives. Let's take a closer look at the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things is a worldwide network of objects and devices connected to the Internet. They are electronics, sensors, software and more. These objects connect to the Internet and can be controlled remotely via apps and programs. ...
Nov. 24, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 476