|By Marketwired .||
|May 14, 2014 06:13 PM EDT||
SUNRISE, FL -- (Marketwired) -- 05/14/14 -- Wialan Technologies Inc. (OTC Pink: WLAN) (PINKSHEETS: WLAN) (the "Company"), a next generation telecommunications provider, today announced operating results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014 and the current status of its business. The Company ended the quarter well positioned to leverage its successful operational experience with Miami-Dade County and other customers, market segments and very significant partnerships that are being developed to help scale up Wialan's business.
As described later herein, while the revenues for the quarter for the Company is still low given its early stage of rollout, the Company finished the quarter by signing a $250,000 contract with California-based Wi-Fidelity, LLC and has begun selling equipment under that agreement. Highlights of the first quarter include specific contracts as well as building blocks for the growth of Wialan. Provided below are also descriptions of other meaningful developments as of the filing of the results for the first quarter.
The key sales contracts and other developing opportunities for the quarter and to date include:
- During the quarter, Wialan expanded the scope of its work with Miami-Dade County to support the County's expansion of its public safety and free Wi Fi based broadband Internet access services in its public parks and facilities.
- Subsequent to the end of the quarter, on April 4, the County invited bids from contractors to install specified Wialan wireless equipment to provide public safety in the 4.9 GHz band and Wi Fi coverage at the African Heritage Cultural Arts Center in Miami, Florida. Wialan is currently in the process of supplying the equipment that would provide Internet services to up to 200 simultaneous patrons in each of the various arts centers on the campus, covering at least 95% of the areas including picnic areas and parking lots.
- As previously reported, Wialan wireless equipment have already been deployed by Miami-Dade County at many locations -- Goulds Park, Haulover Park, Haulover Beach, Bill Bird Marina, Omni (bus) Station, Cutler Ridge Park and East Ridge retirement community. The Company expects to earn on-going monthly maintenance and support fees for each of these locations.
- Wialan continues to monitor other upcoming projects from the County and expects to secure meaningful contracts.
Based upon its continuing successful experience with Miami-Dade County, a principal Wialan focus going forward is on working with counties, cities and local governments in North America to rollout public safety and Wi Fi access platforms that can be leveraged to provide not only broadband internet access in public areas, but also provide public safety (e.g., 24/7 video surveillance using the 4.9 GHz band which is a licensed band available for use only by public safety agencies) and other applications that can piggyback on the highly flexible industrial grade Wialan platform.
Belle Harbor Marina
- In line with the objective of increasing sales of products and services to marinas, on February 24, Wialan entered into an agreement with Belle Harbor Condominiums, Clearwater Beach, Florida, to provide Wi-Fi access and video surveillance to its marina and public access areas. The wireless Wialan solution adds to a previously installed cabled video surveillance system. Wialan has just completed the first phase installation of a network and the Company is in discussions with the luxury property owners to broaden and deepen the scope of coverage including personal video services available to boat owners and condominium residents.
- Belle Harbor and other Wialan networks currently in operation in the marina market segment in Florida (Deering Bay marina and Cocoplum Marina, both in Coral Gables, Galleon Resort in Key West and Marina Bay in Fort Lauderdale) as well as in the Bahamas (Brown Marina in Bimini and the luxury Baker Bay Marina and golf course) are all successful demonstrations of the high-quality of service and complete coverage provided by Wialan products and services to marinas.
- Our success opens up more opportunities in this market segment. For example, the property management company that operates Belle Harbor also runs over 100 other similar properties, which represent an excellent opportunity for Wialan.
- Depending upon the size of the marinas, revenues from a typical installation will likely range from $10,000 to $50,000, but will also yield monthly support and maintenance fees and provide additional opportunities to provide value-added personal video and broadband services to boat owners and other users in and around the marinas.
The Company plans to build on its success and focus on the hundreds of marinas in Florida and to an estimated 11,000 marinas around North America. Wialan is in the process of securing the sales staff and partnerships to support that growth.
- During the first quarter, Wialan entered into a contract with Wi-Fidelity, LLC to supply $250,000 worth of wireless equipment, out of which about $26,000 worth of products were supplied in March under this agreement. The contract also includes standard monthly maintenance fees as well as revenue sharing agreements under which Wialan will provide subscriber management services to support Wi-Fidelity's subscription business.
- Wi-Fidelity is a California-based entity that was set up by former Wialan CEO, Mr. Tim Peabody and other investors. It plans to use Wialan wireless products and applications to provide broadband Internet access, security and other applications to commercial and residential users in California and other pre-agreed markets. Mr. Peabody remains a significant shareholder of Wialan but is currently not involved in the management or day-to-day operations of the Company.
Wialan made progress in other projects that the Company has announced before and given below is a summary update on some of them.
Wireless Early Warning Systems in beaches
- During the quarter, the Company continued to work with Clearwater Beach city on rolling out its beach public address Wireless Early Warning System (WEWS) at Clearwater Beach and the Company will provide more details on this project as they are finalized.
- It is anticipated that the proposed five-tower public address system will be installed and commissioned during the second quarter to cover the widely used two-mile stretch along Clearwater Beach. Each of the solar-powered towers will have a Wialan access point, transmitter and PA system that the Clearwater Beach city will use to provide beach safety and security services.
- Further, Wialan and potential partners will provide low-cost, high-quality broadband Internet services to Clearwater Beach users and others along the beach on a pay-as-you-go or subscription basis. As configured currently, the Company anticipates that its system can support thousands of users on the beach, and can be further expanded as needed to address even higher demand.
- Depending upon the size of the beach to be covered and configurations of such systems, typical installations of this size could yield revenues ranging from $25,000 to $50,000 and could provide potential additional sources of ongoing revenues from subscription services and applications as well as support and maintenance fees.
As reported previously, the Company has filed for patents for its WEWS (application # 14050516), a product that was developed at the request of various safety and municipal officials for the safety of the public in beaches. The Company is currently developing a pipeline for other similar installations in Florida beaches that includes Coquina Beach in Manatee County and Haulover Beach in Miami-Dade County as well as in other parts of North America over time.
- Along with its joint venture partner in Dominican Republic (DR), Wialan continued to plan to deploy Wialan equipment and satellite-based broadband Internet access services to schools. As a first step, the Company and its partners have contributed the equipment and are currently in the process of setting up a pilot to demonstrate (to the DR government) the availability and quality of service to a school located in a remote part of the country. The equipment required for the "pilot" have been shipped and it is anticipated that the installation will be completed during the second quarter of 2014.
- For this DR project, Germantown, MD, based Hughes Network Systems has communicated its willingness to contribute satellite bandwidth and network services for the three-month demonstration period following which the parties intend for Hughes to provide satellite bandwidth and network services as part of Wialan JV's services to DR schools.
- Should a contract with the DR government result, Wialan anticipates rolling out services to 300 DR schools initially, followed by expansion to more schools in a phased manner.
- In Brazil, Wialan is in the process of getting its wireless products certified by the Brazilian regulatory body, ANATEL. To meet requirements in that market, Wialan is finalizing modifications to its products that would allow it to operate in additional frequencies that are permitted for commercial use in Brazil. While business development and operations are pending receipt of the regulatory approval, Brazil remains a promising market for Wialan.
- Wialan has established relationships with in-country partners for distribution and sales of its products in Haiti, Mexico, Central America, Ecuador and Venezuela. These partners have purchased Wialan equipment for demonstrative and business development purposes.
While none of these market opportunities are integral to Wialan's immediate business prospects, they represent promising beginnings in underserved markets. The Company will continue to update investors as concrete milestones are achieved in this regard.
- On April 1, the Company retained Mediaworld Ventures, LLC to provide executive advisory services to the Board of Directors of Wialan, the Interim CEO and the Company's management on operations, business and execution planning, and strategic initiatives to support the growth of the Company. The Company believes that Mediaworld will add significant depth of experience and business skill by enhancing management strength to accelerate business development, market expansion, financing and communications. As part of the agreement, during the term of its agreement with Wialan, Mediaworld Ventures President and CEO, Mr. Sridhar Ganesan, will also provide leadership for the Company as acting chief operating officer. Mediaworld will also bring other senior executive resources from time to time as needed to support Wialan's Board, interim CEO and management.
- The Wialan board has also embarked on a search for a new CEO for the Company and will update investors in that regard.
Operating and Financial results from the first quarter
Wialan is a development stage company that has focused for many years on the development of wireless technologies and equipment and selling products and services in Florida and selected other markets, primarily as an early entry strategy to demonstrate its products. As previously reported, on August 28, 2013 Wialan Technologies merged into American Community Development Group, Inc. (ACYD), with the latter acquiring all of the assets and business operations of Wialan.
Since the date of the merger, the merged Company's new and only business focus has been Wialan's business -- manufacturing, marketing, sale and installation of industrial wireless access equipment. The name of the Company was changed from ACYD to Wialan Technologies, Inc. on January 22, 2014 and its trading symbol was changed from ACYD to WLAN.
For two years prior to the merger, Wialan's focus has been almost entirely on research and development oriented towards refining and testing public safety and wireless products. Following the merger, Wialan has begun to develop and implement new strategies, refine market focus to scale up its business and to build an organization to support its growth.
For the first quarter of 2014, Wialan reported revenues of $48,530. Wialan's previous business (under ACYD name) did not yield any meaningful revenues nor was the business comparable, so there are no quarter-to-quarter revenue comparisons available. On a sequential basis, revenues in the first quarter of 2014 more than doubled when compared with full-year revenues of $20,174 reported for the calendar year ended December 31, 2013.
Cost of Sales and Gross Margins
The Company's cost of sales includes the cost of materials, parts and other costs related to production of its wireless equipment. For the first quarter, the Company recorded cost of sales of $23,340, resulting in a gross margin of about 52%.
Operating Expenses, Operating Loss and Net Loss
Total operating expenses including depreciation for the first quarter of 2014 were $71,153. Wialan recorded an operating loss of $45,963 and net loss in the first quarter of 2014 was $48,290.
Cash and liquidity
As of March 31, 2014, the Company had cash and cash equivalents of $74,220, compared with cash of $58,433 as of December 31, 2013. At the end of the first quarter, the Company also had cash due from investors of more than $100,000. The Company did not conclude any financing during the first quarter including the previously announced $10 million potential financing in August 2013, when ACYD acquired Wialan. The Company is in the process of finalizing its strategic and operational execution plan, and raising critical additional capital to support the growth of its business.
Wialan is strongly interested in communicating with its investors and providing information as needed and practicable. In line with that and in lieu of an investor conference call, the Company invites its investors to send any questions to [email protected] for any additional information that may be available with regards to the first quarter of 2014 as well as some of the outside of first quarter developments described in this release. The Company will make all reasonable efforts to aggregate questions received by May 25 and publish its responses to as many clearly articulated questions as it can.
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,348
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,810
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 10, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 4,141
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,100
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2017 New York. The 20th Cloud Expo and 7th @ThingsExpo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Internet to enable us all to im...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,028
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,966
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,548
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 10, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,090
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 1,006
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,381
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 10, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,420
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his general session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Phil Hombledal, Solution Architect at CollabNet, discussed how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that e...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,372
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,838
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,926
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2017' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited to help the great t...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:45 PM EST Reads: 933