|By Business Wire||
|May 15, 2014 11:01 AM EDT||
eVestment’s April 2014 Hedge Fund Asset Flows Report finds hedge fund assets under management reaching an all-time high. That and other key findings from the report, according to eVestment Vice President of Research Peter Laurelli, are outlined below:
1) Hedge fund assets reached a new all-time high in April 2014, surpassing their prior peak set in Q2 2008 just a few months before the height of the financial crisis.
2) Investors allocated $17.9 billion to hedge funds in April, the third consecutive month of elevated inflows. Despite very slight performance related declines, total AUM rose 0.42% to $2.938 trillion. Investors have added $68.4 billion through April, far surpassing inflows from 2013 and 2012 for the same time frame.
3) Investors continued to show preference to equity strategies over credit in April, however equity fund flows were noticeably lower than over the prior three months, a possible sign that recent performance losses are weighing on investor sentiment. YTD inflows into equity strategies of $48.3 billion is nearly triple the level for the universe from all of 2013.
4) Credit fund flows were positive, but near flat for the second consecutive month. There appear to be differing opinions on the potential value of credit strategies in the current rate environment, despite its industry leading YTD returns. Credit fund AUM is at an all-time high, however the universe surpassed its pre-crisis peaks back in 2010 and has been in record territory since. Persistent growth has been driven by the structural shift in the industry’s investor base as institutions have overtaken FoFs as primary investors and shown an interest in alternative exposures to familiar markets.
5) Event driven strategies continue to receive large new allocations and despite recent elevated losses in March and April, activist funds continue to be favorites in the space. It is important to remember however that current inflows are the results of decisions made over the past several months and may not reflect current investor sentiment to the strategies.
To view the full report, please click here.
eVestment provides a flexible suite of easy-to-use, cloud-based solutions to help the institutional investing community identify and capitalize on global investment trends, better select and monitor investment managers and more successfully enable asset managers to market their funds worldwide. With the largest, most comprehensive global database of traditional and alternative strategies, delivered through leading-edge technology and backed by fantastic client service, eVestment helps its clients be more strategic, efficient and informed.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,180
Aug. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,686
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,367
Aug. 25, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,914
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 630
Aug. 25, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 420
Aug. 25, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,487
Aug. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,212
Aug. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,546
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,596
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,891
Aug. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 587
Aug. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,387
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 551
Aug. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,829