|By Business Wire||
|May 16, 2014 05:26 PM EDT||
Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its IP RAN and 3GPP Strategies and Vendor Leadership: Global Service Provider Survey, which analyzes how and why mobile operators plan to get as much out of their existing 3GPP network assets as possible through evolutionary steps, versus jumping straight to LTE.
“EDGE and HSPA/HSPA+ have a long tail and remain strong despite the onslaught of LTE deployments. However, some of the HSPA+ traction we saw among mobile operators last year is diminishing because of the current move to LTE, which we qualify as the second wave of rollouts characterized by hundreds of small footprints,” notes Stéphane Téral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics at Infonetics Research.
“Because those LTE rollouts are not overlay networks, most will still require serious HSPA+ upgrades to maintain user experience when falling off LTE coverage,” Téral adds.
IP RAN AND 3GPP SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Operators participating in Infonetics’ study say there are no major business or technical challenges impairing IP RAN and 3GPP network evolution
- Nearly three-fourths of respondents are running EDGE networks to enable new services and enhance user experience; those who don’t have EDGE don’t see the need for it
- Support for Evolved EDGE continues to erode: A large majority of survey respondents have no plans to deploy it
- 63% of those surveyed have a single IP RAN up and running, with cost reduction and greater operational and energy efficiency as the top deployment drivers
- The move to higher iterations of HSPA+ such as Rel. 9, 10, and 11 is widespread
- The top 3 RAN equipment suppliers as perceived by respondents are, in rank order, Huawei, Ericsson, and Nokia
WEBINAR: DAS, SMALL CELLS, AND WIFI
Join analyst Stéphane Téral June 5 at noon EDT for How to Get the Best Out of DAS, Small Cells, and WiFi, which analyzes the future of distributed antenna systems (DAS) and their relationship to small cells, remote radio heads (RRHs), and WiFi. Attend live or access the replay: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=783410&s=1&k=CD70E2F6D98C3E67A3B5A1936E23DB13.
ABOUT INFONETICS’ IP RAN STUDY
For its 30-page IP RAN and 3GPP survey, Infonetics interviewed independent wireless, incumbent, and competitive operators in EMEA, North America, Asia Pacific, and Latin America that operate 3GPP networks. The report reveals operators’ plans for EDGE, Evolved EDGE, HSPA, HSPA+, voice over HSPA (VoHSPA), and IP RAN, including drivers, barriers, business and technical challenges, and their perceptions and ratings of RAN vendors. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- Infonetics’ May Mobile and Wireless research brief: http://bit.ly/1k5u8or
- China’s huge LTE rollouts and EU network upgrades push carrier capex to $354B this year
- Full-scale outsourcing by telecom carriers pushes managed services market to new heights
- China Mobile increases capital intensity 6% year-over-year
- DAS market growth in N. America and Brazil offsets China slowdown
- Small cell market on track to increase 65% this year
RECENT AND UPCOMING MARKET FORECASTS
- Analyst Note: Insatiable Huawei (Apr.)
- 2G, 3G, LTE Mobile Infrastructure & Subscribers (May)
- 3G & LTE Mobile Broadband Devices & Subscribers (June)
- 2G, 3G, LTE Mobile Services & Subscribers (June)
- Global Telecom & Datacom Market Trends & Drivers (June)
- The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M & IoT (May 20: Attend)
- Unlocking Revenues with Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Wholesale E-Access (May 29: Attend)
- How to Get the Best Out of DAS, Small Cells & WiFi (June 5: Attend)
- Security at the Speed of VoLTE (View on-demand)
- Service Provider Outsourcing: How Far Will it Go? (July 8: Sponsor)
- Mobile Network Optimization: What's Left? (Sep. 11: Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, [email protected], +1-408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, [email protected], +1-408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, [email protected], +44-755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 405
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,053
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,008
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,615
Jul. 27, 2016 09:17 AM EDT Reads: 106
Jul. 27, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,348
Jul. 27, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,114
Jul. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 599
Jul. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 428
Jul. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,050
Jul. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 908
Jul. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 479
Jul. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 587
Jul. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,083
Jul. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,572