|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
MACAO, CHINA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- G2E -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series accelerated processing unit (APU) and CPU family (previously codenamed "Bald Eagle") for embedded applications. The new solutions are targeted at gaming machines, medical imaging, digital signage, industrial control and automation (IC&A), communications and networking infrastructure that require industry-leading compute and graphics processing technology.
"When it comes to compute performance, graphics performance and performance-per-watt, the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family is unique in the embedded market," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Embedded Solutions. "The addition of HSA, GCN and power management features enables our customers to create a new world of intelligent, interactive and immersive embedded devices."
The 2nd generation AMD R-series APU and CPU solutions are designed for mid- to high-end visual and parallel compute-intensive embedded applications with support for Linux, RTOS and Windows operating systems. The new solutions range from 2.2-3.6 GHz CPU frequency with max boost, based on AMD's latest CPU architecture (codenamed: "Steamroller") and 533-686 MHz GPU frequency based on AMD's latest Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, designed to advance the visual growth and parallel processing capabilities of embedded applications.
Industry-First Features, Benefits and Support
- Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA): The 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU is the first embedded processor to incorporate HSA features, enabling applications to distribute workloads to run on the best compute element -- e.g., CPU, GPU or a specialized accelerator such as video decode -- for up to 44 percent more 3-D graphics performance(1) and up to 46 percent more compute performance than comparable Intel Haswell Core-i CPUs(2).
- Open-source Linux development: As a gold-level member of the Yocto Project, a Linux Foundation Collaboration Project, and as part of a recent multiyear agreement with Mentor Graphics, embedded systems developers now have access to customized embedded Linux development and commercial support on the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family through Mentor Embedded Linux and Sourcery CodeBench, as well as Mentor Embedded Linux Lite available at no cost.
- Embedded-specific features: The 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family is specifically designed for embedded applications with industry-leading, 10-year longevity(3), dual-channel memory with error-correcting code (ECC), DDR3-2133 support and configurable TDP for system design flexibility to optimize the processor at a lower TDP.
Visual Embedded: For embedded applications like gaming machines and digital signage that provide immersive and interactive visual experiences, AMD customers can achieve up to 64 percent more 3-D graphics performance than a standalone 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU(4), and greater flexibility and scalability with support for up to nine independent displays and 4K resolution with the combination of the newly launched AMD Embedded Radeon E8860 discrete GPU.
Medical Imaging: The 2nd generation AMD R-series APU is also ideal for clinical and field medical imaging applications across portable, 3-D and 4-D ultrasound, low-dose X-ray, and imaging-assisted surgical systems. The new AMD Embedded R-series APUs deliver high image transformation performance and low latencies in a low-power and highly integrated solution for medical imaging device vendors looking to help reduce size, weight, complexity and system cost. The combination of high compute performance and low memory access latency afforded by hUMA, as well as high graphics performance in the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series platform accelerate image transformation and deliver excellent image rendering to enable next-generation ultrasound applications to help diagnose and treat patients.
Communications and Networking Infrastructure: For non-visual applications, the advanced parallel-compute graphics engine in the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU provides a highly unique heterogeneous compute platform for control plane switching and routing applications. With up to 66 percent more compute performance than the previous generation AMD Embedded R-series APU,(5) the high-performance GPU enables acceleration of parallelizable functions such as deep packet inspection, encryption or decryption, search, and compression or decompression allowing more CPU headroom for customers to help increase feature velocity.
- Learn more about the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series product family
- Blog: Radgames optimize Bink 2.0 for AMD R-series APU
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow @AMDEmbedded on Twitter
- Join AMD on Google Plus
AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
1. The AMD RX-427BB scored 2051 and Intel Haswell Core i7-4765T scored 1424, when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark. RX-427BB's TDP is 35W and Core i7-4765T's TDP is 35W. The performance delta of 44% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 2051 and Core i7-4765T's performance score of 1424. The AMD RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The Core i7-4765T used a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p with 8GB DDR3 memory and 128GB Crucial M4 HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-93
2. The AMD RX-427BB scored 76 and Intel Haswell Core i7-4765T scored 52, when running BasemarkCL 1.0 benchmark. RX-427BB's TDP is 35W and Core i7-4765T's TDP is 35W. The performance delta of 46% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 76 and Core i7-4765T's performance score of 52. The AMD RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The Core i7-4765T used a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p with 8GB DDR3 memory and 128GB Crucial M4 HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-94
3. Part availability is planned for 10 years from date of announcement, subject to change without notice. Further support available under contract
4. The AMD RX-427BB scored 2,051, and the AMD Radeon E8860 paired with RX-427BB at dual-graphics mode scored 3,359 when running 3DMark®11P benchmark. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The AMD Radeon E8860 used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, 64GB Crucial M4 HDD, and RX-427BB. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-97
5. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB scored 76 and AMD R-Series 464L scored 46, when running BasemarkCL 1.0 benchmark. The performance delta of 66% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 76 and R-464L's performance score of 46. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The R-464L used an AMD DB-FS1r2 development board with 8GB DDR3 memory and 160GB Hitachi HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-95
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Mentor Graphics, Mentor, and Nucleus are trademarks of Mentor Graphics Corporation and Sourcery is a trademark of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks of their respective owners.
AMD Public Relations
SYS-CON Events announced today that DatacenterDynamics has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. DatacenterDynamics is a brand of DCD Group, a global B2B media and publishing company that develops products to help senior professionals in the world's most ICT dependent organizations make risk-based infrastructure and capacity decisions.
Feb. 24, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,802
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 24, 2017 02:15 AM EST Reads: 13,183
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, Sandy Ca...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 9,522
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and micro services. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your contain...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 3,764
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 24, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 5,724
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 1,888
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,888
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Feb. 24, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,529
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Feb. 24, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 966
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Feb. 23, 2017 11:30 PM EST Reads: 6,292
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Feb. 23, 2017 11:00 PM EST Reads: 7,010
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Feb. 23, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 4,601
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 23, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,518
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 23, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,293
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 23, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,452