|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
MACAO, CHINA -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- G2E -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series accelerated processing unit (APU) and CPU family (previously codenamed "Bald Eagle") for embedded applications. The new solutions are targeted at gaming machines, medical imaging, digital signage, industrial control and automation (IC&A), communications and networking infrastructure that require industry-leading compute and graphics processing technology.
"When it comes to compute performance, graphics performance and performance-per-watt, the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family is unique in the embedded market," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Embedded Solutions. "The addition of HSA, GCN and power management features enables our customers to create a new world of intelligent, interactive and immersive embedded devices."
The 2nd generation AMD R-series APU and CPU solutions are designed for mid- to high-end visual and parallel compute-intensive embedded applications with support for Linux, RTOS and Windows operating systems. The new solutions range from 2.2-3.6 GHz CPU frequency with max boost, based on AMD's latest CPU architecture (codenamed: "Steamroller") and 533-686 MHz GPU frequency based on AMD's latest Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, designed to advance the visual growth and parallel processing capabilities of embedded applications.
Industry-First Features, Benefits and Support
- Heterogeneous System Architecture (HSA): The 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU is the first embedded processor to incorporate HSA features, enabling applications to distribute workloads to run on the best compute element -- e.g., CPU, GPU or a specialized accelerator such as video decode -- for up to 44 percent more 3-D graphics performance(1) and up to 46 percent more compute performance than comparable Intel Haswell Core-i CPUs(2).
- Open-source Linux development: As a gold-level member of the Yocto Project, a Linux Foundation Collaboration Project, and as part of a recent multiyear agreement with Mentor Graphics, embedded systems developers now have access to customized embedded Linux development and commercial support on the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family through Mentor Embedded Linux and Sourcery CodeBench, as well as Mentor Embedded Linux Lite available at no cost.
- Embedded-specific features: The 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series family is specifically designed for embedded applications with industry-leading, 10-year longevity(3), dual-channel memory with error-correcting code (ECC), DDR3-2133 support and configurable TDP for system design flexibility to optimize the processor at a lower TDP.
Visual Embedded: For embedded applications like gaming machines and digital signage that provide immersive and interactive visual experiences, AMD customers can achieve up to 64 percent more 3-D graphics performance than a standalone 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU(4), and greater flexibility and scalability with support for up to nine independent displays and 4K resolution with the combination of the newly launched AMD Embedded Radeon E8860 discrete GPU.
Medical Imaging: The 2nd generation AMD R-series APU is also ideal for clinical and field medical imaging applications across portable, 3-D and 4-D ultrasound, low-dose X-ray, and imaging-assisted surgical systems. The new AMD Embedded R-series APUs deliver high image transformation performance and low latencies in a low-power and highly integrated solution for medical imaging device vendors looking to help reduce size, weight, complexity and system cost. The combination of high compute performance and low memory access latency afforded by hUMA, as well as high graphics performance in the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series platform accelerate image transformation and deliver excellent image rendering to enable next-generation ultrasound applications to help diagnose and treat patients.
Communications and Networking Infrastructure: For non-visual applications, the advanced parallel-compute graphics engine in the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series APU provides a highly unique heterogeneous compute platform for control plane switching and routing applications. With up to 66 percent more compute performance than the previous generation AMD Embedded R-series APU,(5) the high-performance GPU enables acceleration of parallelizable functions such as deep packet inspection, encryption or decryption, search, and compression or decompression allowing more CPU headroom for customers to help increase feature velocity.
- Learn more about the 2nd generation AMD Embedded R-series product family
- Blog: Radgames optimize Bink 2.0 for AMD R-series APU
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow @AMDEmbedded on Twitter
- Join AMD on Google Plus
AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
1. The AMD RX-427BB scored 2051 and Intel Haswell Core i7-4765T scored 1424, when running 3DMark® 11P benchmark. RX-427BB's TDP is 35W and Core i7-4765T's TDP is 35W. The performance delta of 44% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 2051 and Core i7-4765T's performance score of 1424. The AMD RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The Core i7-4765T used a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p with 8GB DDR3 memory and 128GB Crucial M4 HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-93
2. The AMD RX-427BB scored 76 and Intel Haswell Core i7-4765T scored 52, when running BasemarkCL 1.0 benchmark. RX-427BB's TDP is 35W and Core i7-4765T's TDP is 35W. The performance delta of 46% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 76 and Core i7-4765T's performance score of 52. The AMD RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The Core i7-4765T used a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p with 8GB DDR3 memory and 128GB Crucial M4 HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-94
3. Part availability is planned for 10 years from date of announcement, subject to change without notice. Further support available under contract
4. The AMD RX-427BB scored 2,051, and the AMD Radeon E8860 paired with RX-427BB at dual-graphics mode scored 3,359 when running 3DMark®11P benchmark. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The AMD Radeon E8860 used an AMD DB-FS1r2 motherboard with 8GB DDR3 memory, 64GB Crucial M4 HDD, and RX-427BB. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-97
5. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB scored 76 and AMD R-Series 464L scored 46, when running BasemarkCL 1.0 benchmark. The performance delta of 66% was calculated based on RX-427BB's performance score of 76 and R-464L's performance score of 46. The AMD Bald Eagle RX-427BB used an AMD Ballina motherboard with 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM memory and 256GB SanDisk HDD. The R-464L used an AMD DB-FS1r2 development board with 8GB DDR3 memory and 160GB Hitachi HDD. Both systems ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-95
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Mentor Graphics, Mentor, and Nucleus are trademarks of Mentor Graphics Corporation and Sourcery is a trademark of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks of their respective owners.
AMD Public Relations
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 27, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,311
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,689
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,343
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,984
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 27, 2017 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,110
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,091
Building custom add-ons does not need to be limited to the ideas you see on a marketplace. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Sukhbir Dhillon, CEO and founder of Addteq, will go over some adventures they faced in developing integrations using Atlassian SDK and other technologies/platforms and how it has enabled development teams to experiment with newer paradigms like Serverless and newer features of Atlassian SDKs. In this presentation, you will be taken on a journey of Add-On and Integration ...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,152
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,081
"I think that everyone recognizes that for IoT to really realize its full potential and value that it is about creating ecosystems and marketplaces and that no single vendor is able to support what is required," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP, Marketing Enterprise and Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,316
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,136
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership abi...
Mar. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 11,128
The essence of cloud computing is that all consumable IT resources are delivered as services. In his session at 15th Cloud Expo, Yung Chou, Technology Evangelist at Microsoft, demonstrated the concepts and implementations of two important cloud computing deliveries: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS). He discussed from business and technical viewpoints what exactly they are, why we care, how they are different and in what ways, and the strategies for IT to transi...
Mar. 27, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 6,259
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,056
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Mar. 27, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,236
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,089