|By Business Wire||
|May 20, 2014 08:31 AM EDT||
The worldwide continuous-feed, digital production print market is experiencing significant opportunity thanks to a major technology shift. According to new research from International Data Corporation (IDC), the much anticipated shift from electrophotography (EP) to high-speed inkjet (HSIJ) came to fruition in 2013, and will continue through the 2014-2018 forecast period. Placements of both monochrome and color EP equipment declined in the past year, while HSIJ installations continue on their growth path. IDC expect HSIJ to reach $1 billion in equipment sales by 2018 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.8%.
By technology segment, IDC research finds the following worldwide engine unit placement changes from 2012 to 2013.
|Technology||2012-13 Placement Change|
Source: IDC Worldwide and U.S. Continuous Feed 2014–2018 Forecast and Analysis
Not only was HSIJ the only growth technology segment in the continuous feed production print market, but for the closely watched high-volume segments of 150+ ipm monochrome and HSIJ, HSIJ became the overall market share leader, achieving 54% of the placements. While the cross over in placements occurred in 2013, HSIJ will grow to 75% of placements by 2018. HSIJ providers have appropriately focused on the high-volume segments of the continuous feed market where print volumes and corresponding supplies and service revenue are significant.
"A dramatic technology shift occurred in 2013 as high-speed inkjet maintained its momentum, while incumbent technologies declined," said Andrew Gordon, research director, Production Output Solutions. "There will continue to be opportunity for color laser, which will hold a quality advantage for a while. However, high-speed inkjet vendors will make great strides toward improving print quality and substrate flexibility."
IDC's Worldwide and U.S. Continuous Feed 2014-2018 Forecast and Analysis (IDC #248239) presents data and analysis to support planning, development and go-to-market strategies for technology vendors participating in the continuous-feed production print market. The report includes over 30 tables and figures for each segment of the continuous-feed market, detailed vendor market share, system as well as engine placements, and equipment revenues for both worldwide and U.S. markets. Included in the report are IDC's perspectives on:
- Forecast – Following the dramatic technology shift that occurred between 2012 and 2013, IDC predicts that the continuous feed equipment market will grow modestly at a CAGR of 2.4% through 2018. This will be fueled almost entirely by HSIJ, which will grow at a 12.2% CAGR.
- Traditional applications opportunity – The traditional installed base of continuous feed devices is producing customer communications (bills, statements, notices, checks), direct mail, as well as bound documents such as manuals and books. Each application category offers unique opportunities for HSIJ, from eliminating pre-printed forms, rightsizing equipment fleets, and accelerating outsourcing for customer communications, to reducing waste in the publishing supply chain by digitally printing smaller run lengths closely aligned to customer demand.
- Application diversification opportunity – While the majority of HSIJ placements are going to the traditional markets, technology vendors are opening up new opportunities in publishing and commercial print. Considering the immense print volumes produced in these segments, aspirations to convert these volumes to digital print are driving business development activities. This application diversification will accelerate as vendors find the right balance of operating costs, productivity, and print quality. The commercial print customers who may embrace HSIJ technologies are accustomed to acquiring printing presses that stay in operation 10 or more years. HSIJ vendor success may be impacted by their ability to protect a customer’s investment, with technology that is both scalable and extensible. These vendors will need to deliver robust services and cultivate a long-term relationship with their customers. This has historically been the success model for analog equipment vendors and should be embraced by HSIJ vendors.
- Technology shift – It's clear that a technology shift is well underway and HSIJ will become the dominant technology for traditional applications produced by the existing installed base of continuous feed printers. There will continue to be opportunities for EP color technologies where print quality and substrate flexibility is paramount.
- Vendor Shakeout – Today, a gold rush is occurring as many new entrants are vying for the new HSIJ opportunity. While both the digital print and analog press vendors will seek to defend their base, each will seek to grow through capturing print volume. The competitive pressures will intensify and raise the question of when, or if, a technology shift will occur between higher volume analog print and digital. For this reason, most vendors feel compelled to have an HSIJ offering. Based on IDC's historical data for continuous feed printers as well as current adoption projections, IDC believes there are too many offerings in the market. In IDC's Worldwide Production and Large Format Printing 2014 – Top 10 Predictions (IDC #247120), IDC analysts predict that a looming vendor shakeout is on the horizon as the market begins picking inkjet winners.
This report is delivered as part of IDC’s Production and Large Format Print Markets service. Additionally, IDC tracks global and regional shipments of continuous-feed equipment as part of the Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. This offering enables clients to leverage IDC's industry-leading data query and visualization tools to evaluate regional and global shipment activities at both the vendor and product level.
To order this research, please contact your IDC Sales representative, or IDC Sales at 508-988-7988 or [email protected].
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
StarNet Communications Corp has announced the addition of three Secure Remote Desktop modules to its flagship X-Win32 PC X server. The new modules enable X-Win32 to safely tunnel the remote desktops from Linux and Unix servers to the user’s PC over encrypted SSH. Traditionally, users of PC X servers deploy the XDMCP protocol to display remote desktop environments such as the Gnome and KDE desktops on Linux servers and the CDE environment on Solaris Unix machines. XDMCP is used primarily on comp...
Aug. 26, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 519
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 26, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 377
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,402
Using new techniques of information modeling, indexing, and processing, new cloud-based systems can support cloud-based workloads previously not possible for high-throughput insurance, banking, and case-based applications. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, John Newton, CTO, Founder and Chairman of Alfresco, described how to scale cloud-based content management repositories to store, manage, and retrieve billions of documents and related information with fast and linear scalability. He addres...
Aug. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,963
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 26, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 617
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Aug. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,901
Enterprises have forever faced challenges surrounding the sharing of their intellectual property. Emerging cloud adoption has made it more compelling for enterprises to digitize their content, making them available over a wide variety of devices across the Internet. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Santosh Ahuja, Director of Architecture at Impiger Technologies, will introduce various mechanisms provided by cloud service providers today to manage and share digital content in a secure manner....
Aug. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 650
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 575
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 557
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:20 AM EDT Reads: 331
Ixia (Nasdaq: XXIA) has announced that NoviFlow Inc.has deployed IxNetwork® to validate the company’s designs and accelerate the delivery of its proven, reliable products. Based in Montréal, NoviFlow Inc. supports network carriers, hyperscale data center operators, and enterprises seeking greater network control and flexibility, network scalability, and the capacity to handle extremely large numbers of flows, while maintaining maximum network performance. To meet these requirements, NoviFlow in...
Aug. 26, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,863
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 26, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 527
To leverage Continuous Delivery, enterprises must consider impacts that span functional silos, as well as applications that touch older, slower moving components. Managing the many dependencies can cause slowdowns. See how to achieve continuous delivery in the enterprise.
Aug. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,580
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 26, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,574
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,830