|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 05:17 PM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- When John Caparella, president and COO of The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas, announced Lipshtick, a new female-driven stand-up comedy series at the Vegas resort's showroom, he took the opportunity to declare something even bigger. According to Caparella: 2014 is the 'Year of the Female Comedienne.'
The Venetian has a long-standing history of featuring outstanding female comediennes, including success with comedic legends like headliners Rita Rudner and Joan Rivers. But the resort is further tapping into a new trend -- that 'girls rule' when it comes to comedy.
"Women are half of the population, and we just haven't been servicing that population," said comedienne, actress and TV producer Whitney Cummings, a feature participant in the Lipshtick series and host of The Venetian's recent press announcement. "It's not every day you get a call that a venue is so excited about female comedians that they are going to do a series. This is something I'm really proud to be a part of. Besides, I'm excited to be part of a [show] in Vegas where women still have their clothes on."
Certainly, female-driven comedy is now as popular as ever. Just look at the trends and the breakout success of recent Hollywood projects headed by female comediennes, like the movie Bridesmaids and TV shows like Cummings' 2 Broke Girls, Lena Dunham's Girls, and Mindy Kaling's The Mindy Project, as examples.
In fact, several recent news items support the trend:
- This week, NBC unveiled The Maya Rudolph Show, highlighting the SNL alum in a prime-time variety show format.
- This week's NBC encore performance of The Women of SNL built on its lead-in by 100 percent in key demographics, adults 18-49 and +45 in total viewers, according to Neilsen-attributed news reports.
- Last week, The Observer newspaper reported that the venerable British network BBC has pledged to include more female comedians in their popular comedy panel shows.
- Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that Les Moonves, chairman and CEO of CBS, hinted that a female comedienne "would be great" to replace Craig Ferguson in what is the most highly coveted open hosting gig in late night.
- Earlier this year, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler popularly hosted The Golden Globes for the second time. They were followed by Ellen DeGeneres -- and her selfie stunt seen around the world -- as one of the highest-rated hosts of The Academy Awards of all time.
- Pop culture site POPSUGAR recently declared the female comics of SNL are "crushing it" this season. "Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, and Aidy Bryant have been stealing the show," said entertainment editor Maggie Pehanick.
- Even the popular Ted Talks series recently tackled the topic, via a talk hosted by Ellie Kemper, best known for her roles in The Office and Bridesmaids. "[F]or a while there was a real dearth of funny and interesting female characters in those big studio comedies and what we were seeing instead in those movies were women who were primarily nags or scolds who were getting in the way of the guys good time," she spoke. "[With these recent successes,] we can finally put this issue to rest. Instead, we should focus our attention on things that carry more weight... like what will tomorrow bring for Kim Kardashian? What will she put on Instagram? And will she and Kanye stay together?"
"I have spent 10 years doing stand up and I have seen these amazing hilarious female comedians who are just not working much," said Cummings, the 'godmother' of the Venetian's Lipshtick series. "When I first started, people used to say 'how come there aren't more female comedians?' There are! They're just not working as much as they should be. When I started 10 years ago, it was more of a risk to book female comedians. I've gotten to watch this cool shift happen and I think a lot of it has to do with [the success of] Tina Fey, Bridesmaids and Chelsea Lately, who always has at least two funny girls on every night."
LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP is a newly branded resident comedy series that marks the first time in the storied entertainment history of Las Vegas that the comedy stage will be taken exclusively by female performers. The new series will debut July 11 with appearances by daytime television personality Wendy Williams and will bring regular stand-up comedy performances to The Sands Showroom from an opening slate of 14 critically acclaimed comediennes.
The series 2014 lineup features today's premier, and up-and-coming female stand-ups, including:
- Joy Behar, former host of The View and the Joy Behar Show
- Jennifer Coolidge, best known for her roles as "Stifler's mom" on American Pie and Sophie on the series 2 Broke Girls
- Whitney Cummings, television personality and co-creator of the hit CBS sitcom 2 Broke Girls
- Susie Essman, best known for her role as Susie Greene on Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Jen Kirkman, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately
- Lisa Lampanelli, whose snarky brand of stand up has lovingly earned her the nickname Comedy's Queen of Mean
- Natasha Leggero, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and judge of NBC's Last Comic Standing
- Wendy Liebman, a regular on the late night circuit, including The Tonight Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the Late Show with David Letterman,and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
- Loni Love, co-host of the new Fox daytime show The Real and author of Love Him or Leave Him But Don't get Stuck with the Tab
- Heather McDonald, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and author of My Inappropriate Life (Some Stories Not Suitable for Nuns, Children, or Mature Adults)
- Caroline Rhea, best known for her role on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, and as the host of the talk show, The Caroline Rhea Show
- Rita Rudner, a Venetian headliner since 2001, and one of the most successful comedians in Las Vegas history, selling more than one million tickets collectively
- Iliza Schlesinger, winner of the sixth season of NBC's Last Comic Standing and former host of the syndicated dating show Excused
- Wendy Williams, media personality, actress and host of the daytime talk show The Wendy Williams Show
The new series was designed to appeal to a target audience of couples, groups and bachelorette celebrants out for a uniquely "Vegas" good time. It also creates an entertainment-driven "destination" that focuses on female branding and style while setting The Venetian apart from competitors.
Artists are engaged to perform two to three shows over a weekend, on Friday and Saturday evenings. Once part of the LIPSHTICK family, most of the comediennes will be scheduled into a rotation to perform at The Venetian three to four times per year. In addition, more comediennes will be added at later dates.
"We've already created a buzz in the comedy community," said Caparella. "Everybody wants to be part of this series."
Tickets are currently available for the first dates announced in the series. Shows will be held on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 7:30pm. Some performance dates will include a second Saturday night show at 10:00 p.m.
Upcoming shows include:
- July 11: Wendy Williams
- July 18 & 19: Heather McDonald and Iliza Schlesinger
- July 25 & 26: Rita Rudner
- August 1 & 2: Caroline Rhea and Wendy Liebman
- August 8 & 9: Lisa Lampanelli
- August 15 & 16: Whitney Cummings
- August 22 & 23: Joy Behar
- September 5 & 6: Susie Essman
- September 12 & 13: Natasha Leggero and Jen Kirkman
- September 19 & 20: Jennifer Coolidge
- October 3 & 4: Lisa Lampanelli
- October 10 & 11: Loni Love
- November 28 & 29: Whitney Cummings
- December 26 & 27: Lisa Lampanelli
Ticket prices range from $37.50 to $97.50, not including tax and fees. A limited number of suite packages that include a meal at select Venetian and Palazzo restaurants, as well as VIP packages that include preferred front-row seating and a meet-and-greet with the comedienne, will be available.
Tickets are available for purchase by calling The Venetian Box Office at 702-414-9000 or online at www.lipshtick.com or www.venetian.com. Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster.
Performance dates, times and prices are subject to change.
About The Venetian Las Vegas®
The Venetian Las Vegas is one of the world's most iconic resort and convention destinations. Recreating Venice's legendary landmarks, the LEED® EB Gold-certified luxury resort offers unmatched service and quality for leisure and corporate guests. With suites ranging from a standard 650-square-foot Luxury Suite to the luxurious 10,000-square-foot Chairman Suite, the all-suite resort boasts Las Vegas' most lavish accommodations. Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, The Venetian features extensive services for meetings and conventions, in addition to world-class leisure amenities, like Grand Canal Shoppes®, an indoor streetscape complete with gondolas and singing gondoliers; the award-winning Canyon Ranch SpaClub®; best-in-class casino gaming; exquisite restaurants; and a wide variety of entertainment including the party musical "ROCK OF AGES," Motown® headliners Human Nature, and the all-female comedy series LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP. Guests can earn points while they eat, sleep, shop and play with Grazie, the premier loyalty program. The Venetian and its sister resort, The Palazzo Las Vegas, hold the distinction of being the first-ever Alliance Resorts in the InterContinental Hotel Group® global portfolio. For additional information, visit venetian.com, follow on Twitter @venetianvegas and interact on Facebook at facebook.com/venetianlasvegas.
The names and brands mentioned above are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 2, 2016 11:15 PM EST Reads: 862
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Dec. 2, 2016 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,670
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Dec. 2, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,720
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effici...
Dec. 2, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 4,968
"We are an all-flash array storage provider but our focus has been on VM-aware storage specifically for virtualized applications," stated Dhiraj Sehgal of Tintri in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 2, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 348
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Dec. 2, 2016 08:15 PM EST Reads: 1,553
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with b...
Dec. 2, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 3,912
"IoT is going to be a huge industry with a lot of value for end users, for industries, for consumers, for manufacturers. How can we use cloud to effectively manage IoT applications," stated Ian Khan, Innovation & Marketing Manager at Solgeniakhela, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 2, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 3,981
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 2, 2016 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,475
Without a clear strategy for cost control and an architecture designed with cloud services in mind, costs and operational performance can quickly get out of control. To avoid multiple architectural redesigns requires extensive thought and planning. Boundary (now part of BMC) launched a new public-facing multi-tenant high resolution monitoring service on Amazon AWS two years ago, facing challenges and learning best practices in the early days of the new service. In his session at 19th Cloud Exp...
Dec. 2, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 366
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data professionals...
Dec. 2, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 4,076
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Dec. 2, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 2,103
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Onalytica. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Dec. 2, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,969
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 2, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 364
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Dec. 2, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 350