|By Marketwired .||
|May 20, 2014 05:17 PM EDT||
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (Marketwired) -- 05/20/14 -- When John Caparella, president and COO of The Venetian and The Palazzo Las Vegas, announced Lipshtick, a new female-driven stand-up comedy series at the Vegas resort's showroom, he took the opportunity to declare something even bigger. According to Caparella: 2014 is the 'Year of the Female Comedienne.'
The Venetian has a long-standing history of featuring outstanding female comediennes, including success with comedic legends like headliners Rita Rudner and Joan Rivers. But the resort is further tapping into a new trend -- that 'girls rule' when it comes to comedy.
"Women are half of the population, and we just haven't been servicing that population," said comedienne, actress and TV producer Whitney Cummings, a feature participant in the Lipshtick series and host of The Venetian's recent press announcement. "It's not every day you get a call that a venue is so excited about female comedians that they are going to do a series. This is something I'm really proud to be a part of. Besides, I'm excited to be part of a [show] in Vegas where women still have their clothes on."
Certainly, female-driven comedy is now as popular as ever. Just look at the trends and the breakout success of recent Hollywood projects headed by female comediennes, like the movie Bridesmaids and TV shows like Cummings' 2 Broke Girls, Lena Dunham's Girls, and Mindy Kaling's The Mindy Project, as examples.
In fact, several recent news items support the trend:
- This week, NBC unveiled The Maya Rudolph Show, highlighting the SNL alum in a prime-time variety show format.
- This week's NBC encore performance of The Women of SNL built on its lead-in by 100 percent in key demographics, adults 18-49 and +45 in total viewers, according to Neilsen-attributed news reports.
- Last week, The Observer newspaper reported that the venerable British network BBC has pledged to include more female comedians in their popular comedy panel shows.
- Earlier this month, Bloomberg reported that Les Moonves, chairman and CEO of CBS, hinted that a female comedienne "would be great" to replace Craig Ferguson in what is the most highly coveted open hosting gig in late night.
- Earlier this year, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler popularly hosted The Golden Globes for the second time. They were followed by Ellen DeGeneres -- and her selfie stunt seen around the world -- as one of the highest-rated hosts of The Academy Awards of all time.
- Pop culture site POPSUGAR recently declared the female comics of SNL are "crushing it" this season. "Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, and Aidy Bryant have been stealing the show," said entertainment editor Maggie Pehanick.
- Even the popular Ted Talks series recently tackled the topic, via a talk hosted by Ellie Kemper, best known for her roles in The Office and Bridesmaids. "[F]or a while there was a real dearth of funny and interesting female characters in those big studio comedies and what we were seeing instead in those movies were women who were primarily nags or scolds who were getting in the way of the guys good time," she spoke. "[With these recent successes,] we can finally put this issue to rest. Instead, we should focus our attention on things that carry more weight... like what will tomorrow bring for Kim Kardashian? What will she put on Instagram? And will she and Kanye stay together?"
"I have spent 10 years doing stand up and I have seen these amazing hilarious female comedians who are just not working much," said Cummings, the 'godmother' of the Venetian's Lipshtick series. "When I first started, people used to say 'how come there aren't more female comedians?' There are! They're just not working as much as they should be. When I started 10 years ago, it was more of a risk to book female comedians. I've gotten to watch this cool shift happen and I think a lot of it has to do with [the success of] Tina Fey, Bridesmaids and Chelsea Lately, who always has at least two funny girls on every night."
LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP is a newly branded resident comedy series that marks the first time in the storied entertainment history of Las Vegas that the comedy stage will be taken exclusively by female performers. The new series will debut July 11 with appearances by daytime television personality Wendy Williams and will bring regular stand-up comedy performances to The Sands Showroom from an opening slate of 14 critically acclaimed comediennes.
The series 2014 lineup features today's premier, and up-and-coming female stand-ups, including:
- Joy Behar, former host of The View and the Joy Behar Show
- Jennifer Coolidge, best known for her roles as "Stifler's mom" on American Pie and Sophie on the series 2 Broke Girls
- Whitney Cummings, television personality and co-creator of the hit CBS sitcom 2 Broke Girls
- Susie Essman, best known for her role as Susie Greene on Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Jen Kirkman, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately
- Lisa Lampanelli, whose snarky brand of stand up has lovingly earned her the nickname Comedy's Queen of Mean
- Natasha Leggero, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and judge of NBC's Last Comic Standing
- Wendy Liebman, a regular on the late night circuit, including The Tonight Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the Late Show with David Letterman,and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson
- Loni Love, co-host of the new Fox daytime show The Real and author of Love Him or Leave Him But Don't get Stuck with the Tab
- Heather McDonald, known for her regular appearances as a round-table panelist on Chelsea Lately and author of My Inappropriate Life (Some Stories Not Suitable for Nuns, Children, or Mature Adults)
- Caroline Rhea, best known for her role on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, and as the host of the talk show, The Caroline Rhea Show
- Rita Rudner, a Venetian headliner since 2001, and one of the most successful comedians in Las Vegas history, selling more than one million tickets collectively
- Iliza Schlesinger, winner of the sixth season of NBC's Last Comic Standing and former host of the syndicated dating show Excused
- Wendy Williams, media personality, actress and host of the daytime talk show The Wendy Williams Show
The new series was designed to appeal to a target audience of couples, groups and bachelorette celebrants out for a uniquely "Vegas" good time. It also creates an entertainment-driven "destination" that focuses on female branding and style while setting The Venetian apart from competitors.
Artists are engaged to perform two to three shows over a weekend, on Friday and Saturday evenings. Once part of the LIPSHTICK family, most of the comediennes will be scheduled into a rotation to perform at The Venetian three to four times per year. In addition, more comediennes will be added at later dates.
"We've already created a buzz in the comedy community," said Caparella. "Everybody wants to be part of this series."
Tickets are currently available for the first dates announced in the series. Shows will be held on Fridays at 10:00 p.m. and Saturdays at 7:30pm. Some performance dates will include a second Saturday night show at 10:00 p.m.
Upcoming shows include:
- July 11: Wendy Williams
- July 18 & 19: Heather McDonald and Iliza Schlesinger
- July 25 & 26: Rita Rudner
- August 1 & 2: Caroline Rhea and Wendy Liebman
- August 8 & 9: Lisa Lampanelli
- August 15 & 16: Whitney Cummings
- August 22 & 23: Joy Behar
- September 5 & 6: Susie Essman
- September 12 & 13: Natasha Leggero and Jen Kirkman
- September 19 & 20: Jennifer Coolidge
- October 3 & 4: Lisa Lampanelli
- October 10 & 11: Loni Love
- November 28 & 29: Whitney Cummings
- December 26 & 27: Lisa Lampanelli
Ticket prices range from $37.50 to $97.50, not including tax and fees. A limited number of suite packages that include a meal at select Venetian and Palazzo restaurants, as well as VIP packages that include preferred front-row seating and a meet-and-greet with the comedienne, will be available.
Tickets are available for purchase by calling The Venetian Box Office at 702-414-9000 or online at www.lipshtick.com or www.venetian.com. Tickets are also available through Ticketmaster.
Performance dates, times and prices are subject to change.
About The Venetian Las Vegas®
The Venetian Las Vegas is one of the world's most iconic resort and convention destinations. Recreating Venice's legendary landmarks, the LEED® EB Gold-certified luxury resort offers unmatched service and quality for leisure and corporate guests. With suites ranging from a standard 650-square-foot Luxury Suite to the luxurious 10,000-square-foot Chairman Suite, the all-suite resort boasts Las Vegas' most lavish accommodations. Located in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip, The Venetian features extensive services for meetings and conventions, in addition to world-class leisure amenities, like Grand Canal Shoppes®, an indoor streetscape complete with gondolas and singing gondoliers; the award-winning Canyon Ranch SpaClub®; best-in-class casino gaming; exquisite restaurants; and a wide variety of entertainment including the party musical "ROCK OF AGES," Motown® headliners Human Nature, and the all-female comedy series LIPSHTICK - THE PERFECT SHADE OF STAND UP. Guests can earn points while they eat, sleep, shop and play with Grazie, the premier loyalty program. The Venetian and its sister resort, The Palazzo Las Vegas, hold the distinction of being the first-ever Alliance Resorts in the InterContinental Hotel Group® global portfolio. For additional information, visit venetian.com, follow on Twitter @venetianvegas and interact on Facebook at facebook.com/venetianlasvegas.
The names and brands mentioned above are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,536
Businesses are struggling to manage the information flow and interactions between all of these new devices and things jumping on their network, and the apps and IT systems they control. The data businesses gather is only helpful if they can do something with it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Witeck, Principal Technology Strategist at Citrix, will discuss how different the impact of IoT will be for large businesses, expanding how IoT will allow large organizations to make their legacy ap...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,102
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 5,095
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Sep. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,103
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 28, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,024
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:20 PM EDT Reads: 111
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,721
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,402
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Tintri VM-aware storage is the simplest for virtualized applications and cloud. Organizations including GE, Toyota, United Healthcare, NASA and 6 of the Fortune 15 have said “No to LUNs.” With Tintri they mana...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,897
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,273
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 28, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,647
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 28, 2016 11:49 AM EDT Reads: 211
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Sep. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,078
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Sep. 28, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,082