|By Business Wire||
|May 21, 2014 01:03 AM EDT||
Lenovo Group today announced results for its fourth fiscal quarter and full-year ended March 31, 2014. With record full-year revenue of US$38.7 billion, an increase of 14 percent year-over-year, a record full-year pre-tax income of US$1.01 billion, up 27 percent year-over-year and record full year earnings of US$817 million, up 29 percent, Lenovo had a truly outstanding year.
Lenovo expanded its number one position in PCs, adding 2.1 points of market share to post a record 17.7 percent total share for the full-year, representing five percent year-over-year growth, compared to an overall industry decline of 8 percent during this same period. Even while China’s PC market slowed, Lenovo’s operating profit in China PC improved by 1 percentage point. Asia Pacific had record share of almost 15 percent, while improving profitability. For the first time, Lenovo’s EMEA revenue surpassed its China PC revenue in the quarter, while in the US, Lenovo surpassed Apple to take the number three position in PC shipments in the fourth quarter. With 20 consecutive quarters of outgrowing the PC market, Lenovo continued to show it can post rapid growth in absolute shipment and in relative market share metrics, even in difficult markets.
When combining Tablets and PCs together to form the “PC + Tablet” category, Lenovo sold a record 64 million devices, up nearly 18 percent year over year, outpacing this market by more than 13 percentage points. Lenovo posted record total device volume of 114 million, up 37 percent year over year. This was the 4th quarter in a row that Lenovo sold more tablets and smartphones than PCs. These facts illustrate Lenovo’s transformation as a leader in Smart Connected Devices.
“The record sales and profits that we delivered last year prove that Lenovo can grow and deliver its commitments, no matter the market conditions,” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Not only did we strengthen our leading position in PCs, but we gained three points in tablets by quadrupling sales volume and became the fastest growing major smartphone company in the world. This demonstrates our capability to manage both businesses that are already mature, as well as those that are shifting to maturity. Meanwhile, we are building new engines for growth in the enterprise and ecosystem. Through the combination of our existing and new businesses, Lenovo offers tremendous value to shareholders today, and our value will be even greater in the future.”
Gross profit for the full year was US$5.06 billion, an increase of 14 percent year-over-year. Gross margin was 13.1 percent, while operating profit for the full fiscal year was US$ 1.05 billion, a 32 percent increase year-over-year.
Lenovo had strong fourth quarter revenue of US$9.4 billion, up 19 percent year-over-year. The Company achieved pre-tax income of US$212 million during the fourth fiscal quarter, a 28 percent increase over the same period last year. The Company’s gross profit for the fourth fiscal quarter grew to US$1.24 billion, an increase of 18 percent year-over-year. Gross margin was 13.3 percent. Operating profit for the fourth quarter was US$231 million, up 37 percent year-over-year, while earnings grew 25 percent year-over-year to US$158 million. Compared to an overall PC industry decline of 4.6 percent year-over-year in the fourth fiscal quarter, Lenovo grew shipments at a 15 point premium to the market.
Basic earnings per share in the fourth fiscal quarter was 1.53 US cents, or 11.87 HK cents. Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared a final dividend of 2.32 US cents, or 18 HK cents per share for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014.
- Lenovo China improved its fourth quarter operating margin by 0.8 points to 5.5 percent. With US$3.1 billion in consolidated sales in the fourth fiscal quarter, China accounted for 33 percent of the Company’s worldwide sales. Lenovo protected its PC leadership with 32.6 percent share, with PC margins improving 1.1 points with stabilizing shipments and increased average sales price. China continues to invest in the push into Smart Connected Devices to capture opportunities from 4G and Smart TVs.
- In the Asia Pacific region, Lenovo achieved 15.6 percent PC market share in the fourth fiscal quarter, up 2.1 points year-over-year. While the regional PC market improved, only down slightly at 1.5 percent year-over-year, the Company grew its PC shipments across the region by 14 percent. Lenovo remained number one in Japan with tremendous shipment growth of 35 percent. Consolidated sales across the region totaled US$1.7 billion or 19 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide sales, while operating margins went up 1.3 points to 2.7 percent.
- Lenovo in Europe, Middle East & Africa grew PC shipments during the fourth quarter by 33.3 percent and building even stronger momentum across the region. EMEA achieved a 15.8 percent market share, increasing shipments 4 share points year-over-year or a nearly 34 point premium to the market. The region had consolidated sales in the fourth quarter of US$2.6 billion, a year-over-year improvement of 39 percent, good for 27 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. Operating profit margin was healthy at 2.9 percent, 1.0 point increase year-over-year.
- Lenovo’s PC shipments in the Americas in the fourth fiscal quarter increased 18 percent year-over-year, in a market that fell by about 8 percent. In this environment, the Company gained 2.5 share points to a record high market share of 11.4 percent. Consolidated sales grew 23 percent year-over-year to approximately US$2 billion in the fourth quarter, driven by strong growth across all products. This represented 21 percent of Lenovo’s total worldwide sales. In the US, during the fourth quarter, Lenovo surpassed Apple in PC units, while achieving the number 3 position for the first time in this critical market with record share at 10.8 percent. The Company continued to invest in its fast growing Brazil and Latin America businesses.
- Consolidated sales for Lenovo’s laptop PC business worldwide in the fourth fiscal quarter increased 16 percent year-over-year to US$4.8 billion, accounting for 51 percent of the Company’s overall sales. During the same period, Lenovo’s worldwide laptop PC shipments increased 12.9 percent, against the backdrop of an overall industry decrease of 5.8 percent. In the fourth fiscal quarter, Lenovo announced its newest version of the popular ThinkPad X1 Carbon, the world’s lightest 14-inch ultrabook. Forged from the same strong but light stock as aircraft and racing cars, the X1 Carbon’s carbon fiber casing weighs less than magnesium or aluminum, but is stronger than both. The Company also announced the ThinkPad 11e series of laptops, designed specifically for education and ruggedized for K-12 classroom performance.
- During the fourth fiscal quarter, Lenovo’s desktop PC shipment grew 6.8 percent worldwide year-over-year, against an industry decline of 3.1 percent worldwide. Lenovo’s desktop PC consolidated sales for the same period increased 14 percent to US$2.7 billion, or 29 percent of the Company’s overall sales worldwide. In the fourth fiscal quarter, Lenovo announced the C560 all-in-one (AIO) desktop PC, a family-friendly large-screen, multitouch home PC that doubles down on work and play, as well as the ThinkVision Pro2840m, a feature-packed, 28-inch, 4K professional resolution display and the ThinkVision 28, a smart display that is not only an ultra-high definition monitor but is also an Android-enabled entertainment center.
- Lenovo had solid shipments of smartphones, staying China’s number two smartphone maker, with rapid growth across all its Mobile Internet and Digital Home (MIDH) product lines. During the fourth fiscal quarter, consolidated sales of MIDH rose 71 percent to US$1.3 billion year over year, or 13 percent of the Company’s overall sales. The Company’s worldwide smartphone shipments grew 59.4 percent in the fourth quarter, outpacing the worldwide market by 28 percent. The Company also outgrew the market in China as it worked to capture 4G/LTE opportunities by expanding its own Lenovo App store ecosystem. So far the store has delivered 6 billion downloads. It is averaging 25 million downloads daily. Lenovo’s own SHAREit App won the Mobile World Congress award for best app and was the first app developed by Lenovo to reach 100 million users.
In the fourth fiscal quarter, Lenovo introduced several smartphones, including its first LTE smartphone, the Lenovo Vibe Z, a razor-thin, blazing fast device equipped with gesture controls, photo enhancement software and other premium technologies. The Company also announced the new Yoga Tablet 10-inch HD+, a multimode device that infuses Lenovo’s original Yoga tablet with a full HD screen, Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, sharp high-resolution camera and its incredible battery life of up to approximately 18 hours under certain conditions.
Lenovo (HKSE: 0992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$39 billion personal technology company, the largest PC company in the world, serving customers in more than 160 countries. Dedicated to building exceptionally engineered PCs and mobile internet devices, Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly-efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. Formed by Lenovo Group’s acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services. Its product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations, and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smartphones. As a global Fortune 500 company, Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.
For the fiscal quarter and full year ended March 31, 2014
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
|Gross profit margin||13.3%||13.4%||-0.1pts||13.1%||NIL|
|Other non-operating expenses||(19)||(3)||503%||(38)||NA|
|Profit for the period||168||124||35%||817||29%|
|Profit attributable to equity holders||158||127||25%||817||29%|
EPS (US cents)
|Dividend per share (HK cents)||24||5.5|
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 26, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 387
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 26, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,046
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 26, 2017 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,208
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 471
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at Dell EMC, introduced a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organization...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 6,600
Developers want to create better apps faster. Static clouds are giving way to scalable systems, with dynamic resource allocation and application monitoring. You won't hear that chant from users on any picket line, but helping developers to create better apps faster is the mission of Lee Atchison, principal cloud architect and advocate at New Relic Inc., based in San Francisco. His singular job is to understand and drive the industry in the areas of cloud architecture, microservices, scalability ...
Apr. 26, 2017 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,449
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 26, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,005
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Apr. 26, 2017 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,446
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,972
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 26, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,316
New competitors, disruptive technologies, and growing expectations are pushing every business to both adopt and deliver new digital services. This ‘Digital Transformation’ demands rapid delivery and continuous iteration of new competitive services via multiple channels, which in turn demands new service delivery techniques – including DevOps. In this power panel at @DevOpsSummit 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by DevOps Conference Co-Chair Andi Mann, panelists will examine how DevOps helps to meet th...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,314
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 26, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,005
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 26, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 633
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 25, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,314
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 25, 2017 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,343