|By Business Wire||
|May 30, 2014 01:06 PM EDT||
USA Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: USAT), (“USAT”), a leader of wireless, cashless payment and M2M telemetry solutions for small-ticket, self-serve retailing industries, today issued the following letter to shareholders:
As we approach our Annual Meeting of Shareholders to be held on June 18, I wanted to share some highlights with you of our encouraging progress on several important fronts.
Your board of directors’ and management team’s top priority has been to drive USA Technologies to profitability, and deliver increased customer and shareholder value. We have executed on a vision that has delivered enhanced governance, market leadership in self-serve retail, and an unmatched and ever-expanding product and service portfolio. Most importantly, however, we believe that we have delivered a significant financial turnaround to our shareholders, and taken steps that we believe position USA Technologies to achieve our target over the next three to four years of $100 million in revenues and double digit operating margins as we continue to drive connections to our ePort Connect™ service.
- We achieved profitability for the first time starting with our quarter ended December 31, 2012, and additionally, we have delivered six consecutive quarters of non-GAAP net income through our latest fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2014. By way of comparison, during our quarter ended September 30, 2011, the quarter ended prior to my taking the role as Chairman and CEO, we had a non-GAAP net loss of ($1,800,000) and for our most recent quarter ended March 31, 2014, we had non-GAAP net income of $321,526, a $2.1 million quarterly increase.
- We achieved GAAP net income for the first time during our 2013 fiscal year of $854,123 as well as GAAP net income for our nine months ended March 31, 2014. In comparison, during our fiscal year ended June 30, 2012, we had a GAAP net loss of ($5,200,000), or a $6.1 million improvement in one year.
- Due to earnings generated in our fiscal year 2013, and earnings continuing during the nine months of our fiscal year 2014, and what we believe to be the sustainable nature of our recurring revenue service model, in our March 31, 2014 quarter we recognized $26.7 million of deferred tax assets as it became likely that we would utilize these assets as the result of generating future taxable income.
- Our business has now achieved what we anticipate will be sustainable cash flows from operations. For our fiscal year 2012, we generated just $78,000 of cash flow from operating activities, however, for fiscal year 2013 and for the nine months of fiscal year 2014, we generated $6.0 million and $4.8 million, respectively.
- USA Technologies and its current board have created significant shareholder value. For example, on March 6, 2012, our shares closed at $.94, and recently, on May 29, 2014, our shares closed at $2.01, representing a 112% increase, a substantial increase in market capitalization—from approximately $30.6 million, to approximately $71.5 million.
Our strategy for growth has been straightforward and consistent—to continue to increase the number of new connections to our ePort Connect™ service—and, to continue to create more value for every connection to our service, for both customers and shareholders. Strategies in place to achieve these goals have resulted in a host of additions to our comprehensive solutions suite and to a record number of new connections in the first nine months of fiscal 2014.
Having achieved these important goals for profitability, in fiscal 2014 we set our sights on building momentum in important areas of the self-serve retail market based on our view of how those markets would continue to evolve. Our progress included:
- Increasing the number of connections to our service, from 129,000 as of September 30, 2011, to 244,000 as of March 31, 2014, representing an increase of 89%;
- Generating the largest portion of our connections from our existing customer base—a base that we believe manages over 2 million potential machines yet to transition to cashless payment;
- Leveraging USA Technologies’ early start in mobile-based payment services with over 75,000 locations enabled for the Isis mobile payment and “Fifth Purchase Free” program, one of the nation’s largest implementations of a payment and loyalty program utilizing smartphone technologies;
- New consumer engagement services such as our MORE loyalty program, including the recent introduction of a MORE consumer mobile app utilizing eBeacon™ mobile payment technology powered by Bluetooth Low Energy;
- Evolution of our ePort Connect™ service to extend our service capabilities across the vending spectrum. New Integrated Payment Services expands USA Technologies’ growth potential beyond the vending machine level—to micro-markets, dining services and other business segments managed by our vending customers;
- Important new sales and distribution relationships that allow us to extend our service to other similar markets with ease. For example, in commercial laundry, in fiscal year 2013, we became the exclusive service provider to Setomatic Systems, a relationship that has yielded over 7,500 new connections to our service since that time; and
- In taxi and transportation, new agreements with systems integrators in this market have extended the reach of our sales and marketing efforts. For example, within just a few months of introducing ePort GO™ for taxi and transportation businesses, our work with the Verizon Wireless’ business to business team has already resulted in an encouraging number of new customers and connections to our service. We are pleased to report that, during the current fiscal year, our direct sales efforts and that of partners like Verizon have yielded over 12,000 achieved or contracted connections in this important new market.
Our innovation on behalf of our customers continues to earn recognition for USA Technologies. Recently, USA Technologies was honored with the Frost & Sullivan 2014 North American Customer Value Leadership Award in Financial Services and Retail M2M Communications, an award presented to a company that has demonstrated excellence in implementing strategies that proactively create value for its customers. We also earned the top award for the vending category at the 2013 Connected World Value Chain Awards, featuring our value chain partners, Verizon Wireless and Telit Wireless Solutions.
In closing, strong connections, a solid pipeline and a growing list of partners and customers leave us very encouraged about the business. Consumer preferences continue to shift toward cashless and mobile payment trends are already providing added stimulus. As a leader in the cashless movement, we believe that USA Technologies has the experience, the knowledge, the people and the vision to take advantage of these opportunities and build on our momentum.
Your board and management cordially invite you to attend our June 18 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. Whether or not you expect to attend the Annual Meeting in person, we strongly encourage you to vote your shares. If you have questions about USA Technologies' business or the Annual Meeting, please contact investor relations at 1-800-633-0340, or send an email to [email protected].
I want to thank you for your support and hope you share the excitement that I feel for the future of USA Technologies.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Stephen P. Herbert
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: All statements, other than statements of historical fact included in this letter, are forward-looking statements. When used in this release, words such as "anticipate", "believe", "estimate", "expect", "intend", and similar expressions, as they relate to USA Technologies or its management, identify forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs of USA Technologies’ management, as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to USA Technologies’ management. Actual results could differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including but not limited to, business, financial market and economic conditions; the incurrence by us of any unanticipated or unusual non-operating expenses which would require us to divert our cash resources from achieving our business plan; the ability of USA Technologies to predict or estimate its future quarterly or annual revenues and expenses given the developing and unpredictable market for its products; the ability of USA Technologies to retain key customers from whom a significant portion of its revenues are derived; the ability of a key customer to reduce or delay purchasing products from USA Technologies; whether our suppliers would increase their prices, reduce their output or change their terms of sale; whether, and the promptness with which, customers install new connections; whether, and the extent to which, new connections will generate new revenues for USA Technologies in future quarters; the ability of USA Technologies to accurately predict the level of cashless usage on connections that have not yet commenced revenue generation; whether USA Technologies’ customers continue to utilize USA Technologies’ transaction processing and related services, as our customer agreements are generally cancelable by the customer on thirty to sixty days' notice; the ability of USA Technologies to accurately predict future market conditions and customer behavior; and whether customers will increase their purchases of USA Technologies’ products and services in the future. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Any forward-looking statement made by us in this letter speaks only as of the date of this letter. Unless required by law, USA Technologies does not undertake to release publicly any revisions to these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or circumstances or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
Discussion of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This letter includes the following measure which is defined as a non-GAAP financial measure by the Securities and Exchange Commission: non-GAAP net income (loss). The presentation of this additional financial measure is not intended to be considered in isolation from, or superior to, or as a substitute for the financial measures prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, including the net income or net loss of USA Technologies.
Management believes that non-GAAP net income (loss) is an important measure of USA Technologies’ business. Management uses the aforementioned non-GAAP measure to monitor and evaluate ongoing operating results and trends and to gain an understanding of our comparative operating performance. We believe that this non-GAAP financial measure serve as a useful metric for our management and investors because it enables a better understanding of the long-term performance of our core business and facilitate comparisons of our operating results over multiple periods, and when taken together with the corresponding GAAP financial measures and our reconciliations, enhance investors’ overall understanding of our current and future financial performance.
|Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to Non-GAAP Net Income (Loss)|
|3Q FY14||2Q FY14||1Q FY14||4Q FY13||3Q FY13||2Q FY13|
|Net income (loss)||$||26,866,526||$||409,191||$||293,654||$||1,677,168||
|Fair value of warrant adjustment||168,897||37,896||(219,097||)||(1,517,384||)||1,308,954||403,635|
|Benefit from reduction of valuation allowances||(26,713,897||)|
|Non-GAAP net income (loss)||$||321,526||$||447,087||$||74,557||$||159,784||$||293,011||$||557,393|
|Net income (loss)||$||(78,954||)|
|Fair value of warrant adjustment||(1,736,609||)|
|Non-GAAP net income (loss)||$||(1,815,563||)|
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 31, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,886
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 31, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,275
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 31, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,988
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 31, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,079
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 31, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,705
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 30, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,492
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 30, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,036
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 30, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,930
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Aug. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 382
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 938
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Aug. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 381
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Aug. 30, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,596
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Aug. 30, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 907
Fact: storage performance problems have only gotten more complicated, as applications not only have become largely virtualized, but also have moved to cloud-based infrastructures. Storage performance in virtualized environments isn’t just about IOPS anymore. Instead, you need to guarantee performance for individual VMs, helping applications maintain performance as the number of VMs continues to go up in real time. In his session at Cloud Expo, Dhiraj Sehgal, Product and Marketing at Tintri, wil...
Aug. 30, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 978
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 30, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,785