|By Business Wire||
|May 30, 2014 01:06 PM EDT||
USA Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: USAT), (“USAT”), a leader of wireless, cashless payment and M2M telemetry solutions for small-ticket, self-serve retailing industries, today issued the following letter to shareholders:
As we approach our Annual Meeting of Shareholders to be held on June 18, I wanted to share some highlights with you of our encouraging progress on several important fronts.
Your board of directors’ and management team’s top priority has been to drive USA Technologies to profitability, and deliver increased customer and shareholder value. We have executed on a vision that has delivered enhanced governance, market leadership in self-serve retail, and an unmatched and ever-expanding product and service portfolio. Most importantly, however, we believe that we have delivered a significant financial turnaround to our shareholders, and taken steps that we believe position USA Technologies to achieve our target over the next three to four years of $100 million in revenues and double digit operating margins as we continue to drive connections to our ePort Connect™ service.
- We achieved profitability for the first time starting with our quarter ended December 31, 2012, and additionally, we have delivered six consecutive quarters of non-GAAP net income through our latest fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2014. By way of comparison, during our quarter ended September 30, 2011, the quarter ended prior to my taking the role as Chairman and CEO, we had a non-GAAP net loss of ($1,800,000) and for our most recent quarter ended March 31, 2014, we had non-GAAP net income of $321,526, a $2.1 million quarterly increase.
- We achieved GAAP net income for the first time during our 2013 fiscal year of $854,123 as well as GAAP net income for our nine months ended March 31, 2014. In comparison, during our fiscal year ended June 30, 2012, we had a GAAP net loss of ($5,200,000), or a $6.1 million improvement in one year.
- Due to earnings generated in our fiscal year 2013, and earnings continuing during the nine months of our fiscal year 2014, and what we believe to be the sustainable nature of our recurring revenue service model, in our March 31, 2014 quarter we recognized $26.7 million of deferred tax assets as it became likely that we would utilize these assets as the result of generating future taxable income.
- Our business has now achieved what we anticipate will be sustainable cash flows from operations. For our fiscal year 2012, we generated just $78,000 of cash flow from operating activities, however, for fiscal year 2013 and for the nine months of fiscal year 2014, we generated $6.0 million and $4.8 million, respectively.
- USA Technologies and its current board have created significant shareholder value. For example, on March 6, 2012, our shares closed at $.94, and recently, on May 29, 2014, our shares closed at $2.01, representing a 112% increase, a substantial increase in market capitalization—from approximately $30.6 million, to approximately $71.5 million.
Our strategy for growth has been straightforward and consistent—to continue to increase the number of new connections to our ePort Connect™ service—and, to continue to create more value for every connection to our service, for both customers and shareholders. Strategies in place to achieve these goals have resulted in a host of additions to our comprehensive solutions suite and to a record number of new connections in the first nine months of fiscal 2014.
Having achieved these important goals for profitability, in fiscal 2014 we set our sights on building momentum in important areas of the self-serve retail market based on our view of how those markets would continue to evolve. Our progress included:
- Increasing the number of connections to our service, from 129,000 as of September 30, 2011, to 244,000 as of March 31, 2014, representing an increase of 89%;
- Generating the largest portion of our connections from our existing customer base—a base that we believe manages over 2 million potential machines yet to transition to cashless payment;
- Leveraging USA Technologies’ early start in mobile-based payment services with over 75,000 locations enabled for the Isis mobile payment and “Fifth Purchase Free” program, one of the nation’s largest implementations of a payment and loyalty program utilizing smartphone technologies;
- New consumer engagement services such as our MORE loyalty program, including the recent introduction of a MORE consumer mobile app utilizing eBeacon™ mobile payment technology powered by Bluetooth Low Energy;
- Evolution of our ePort Connect™ service to extend our service capabilities across the vending spectrum. New Integrated Payment Services expands USA Technologies’ growth potential beyond the vending machine level—to micro-markets, dining services and other business segments managed by our vending customers;
- Important new sales and distribution relationships that allow us to extend our service to other similar markets with ease. For example, in commercial laundry, in fiscal year 2013, we became the exclusive service provider to Setomatic Systems, a relationship that has yielded over 7,500 new connections to our service since that time; and
- In taxi and transportation, new agreements with systems integrators in this market have extended the reach of our sales and marketing efforts. For example, within just a few months of introducing ePort GO™ for taxi and transportation businesses, our work with the Verizon Wireless’ business to business team has already resulted in an encouraging number of new customers and connections to our service. We are pleased to report that, during the current fiscal year, our direct sales efforts and that of partners like Verizon have yielded over 12,000 achieved or contracted connections in this important new market.
Our innovation on behalf of our customers continues to earn recognition for USA Technologies. Recently, USA Technologies was honored with the Frost & Sullivan 2014 North American Customer Value Leadership Award in Financial Services and Retail M2M Communications, an award presented to a company that has demonstrated excellence in implementing strategies that proactively create value for its customers. We also earned the top award for the vending category at the 2013 Connected World Value Chain Awards, featuring our value chain partners, Verizon Wireless and Telit Wireless Solutions.
In closing, strong connections, a solid pipeline and a growing list of partners and customers leave us very encouraged about the business. Consumer preferences continue to shift toward cashless and mobile payment trends are already providing added stimulus. As a leader in the cashless movement, we believe that USA Technologies has the experience, the knowledge, the people and the vision to take advantage of these opportunities and build on our momentum.
Your board and management cordially invite you to attend our June 18 Annual Meeting of Shareholders. Whether or not you expect to attend the Annual Meeting in person, we strongly encourage you to vote your shares. If you have questions about USA Technologies' business or the Annual Meeting, please contact investor relations at 1-800-633-0340, or send an email to [email protected].
I want to thank you for your support and hope you share the excitement that I feel for the future of USA Technologies.
Best wishes to you and your family,
Stephen P. Herbert
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: All statements, other than statements of historical fact included in this letter, are forward-looking statements. When used in this release, words such as "anticipate", "believe", "estimate", "expect", "intend", and similar expressions, as they relate to USA Technologies or its management, identify forward-looking statements. Such forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs of USA Technologies’ management, as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to USA Technologies’ management. Actual results could differ materially from those contemplated by the forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including but not limited to, business, financial market and economic conditions; the incurrence by us of any unanticipated or unusual non-operating expenses which would require us to divert our cash resources from achieving our business plan; the ability of USA Technologies to predict or estimate its future quarterly or annual revenues and expenses given the developing and unpredictable market for its products; the ability of USA Technologies to retain key customers from whom a significant portion of its revenues are derived; the ability of a key customer to reduce or delay purchasing products from USA Technologies; whether our suppliers would increase their prices, reduce their output or change their terms of sale; whether, and the promptness with which, customers install new connections; whether, and the extent to which, new connections will generate new revenues for USA Technologies in future quarters; the ability of USA Technologies to accurately predict the level of cashless usage on connections that have not yet commenced revenue generation; whether USA Technologies’ customers continue to utilize USA Technologies’ transaction processing and related services, as our customer agreements are generally cancelable by the customer on thirty to sixty days' notice; the ability of USA Technologies to accurately predict future market conditions and customer behavior; and whether customers will increase their purchases of USA Technologies’ products and services in the future. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Any forward-looking statement made by us in this letter speaks only as of the date of this letter. Unless required by law, USA Technologies does not undertake to release publicly any revisions to these forward-looking statements to reflect future events or circumstances or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
Discussion of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This letter includes the following measure which is defined as a non-GAAP financial measure by the Securities and Exchange Commission: non-GAAP net income (loss). The presentation of this additional financial measure is not intended to be considered in isolation from, or superior to, or as a substitute for the financial measures prepared and presented in accordance with GAAP, including the net income or net loss of USA Technologies.
Management believes that non-GAAP net income (loss) is an important measure of USA Technologies’ business. Management uses the aforementioned non-GAAP measure to monitor and evaluate ongoing operating results and trends and to gain an understanding of our comparative operating performance. We believe that this non-GAAP financial measure serve as a useful metric for our management and investors because it enables a better understanding of the long-term performance of our core business and facilitate comparisons of our operating results over multiple periods, and when taken together with the corresponding GAAP financial measures and our reconciliations, enhance investors’ overall understanding of our current and future financial performance.
|Reconciliation of Net Income (Loss) to Non-GAAP Net Income (Loss)|
|3Q FY14||2Q FY14||1Q FY14||4Q FY13||3Q FY13||2Q FY13|
|Net income (loss)||$||26,866,526||$||409,191||$||293,654||$||1,677,168||
|Fair value of warrant adjustment||168,897||37,896||(219,097||)||(1,517,384||)||1,308,954||403,635|
|Benefit from reduction of valuation allowances||(26,713,897||)|
|Non-GAAP net income (loss)||$||321,526||$||447,087||$||74,557||$||159,784||$||293,011||$||557,393|
|Net income (loss)||$||(78,954||)|
|Fair value of warrant adjustment||(1,736,609||)|
|Non-GAAP net income (loss)||$||(1,815,563||)|
Everyone wants to use containers, but monitoring containers is hard. New ephemeral architecture introduces new challenges in how monitoring tools need to monitor and visualize containers, so your team can make sense of everything. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, David Gildeh, co-founder and CEO of Outlyer, will go through the challenges and show there is light at the end of the tunnel if you use the right tools and understand what you need to be monitoring to successfully use containers in your...
Apr. 30, 2017 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,364
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 30, 2017 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,638
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Apr. 30, 2017 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,196
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 30, 2017 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 9,443
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Apr. 30, 2017 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 6,249
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls ...
Apr. 30, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,424
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 30, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,775
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Apr. 30, 2017 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 9,262
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 30, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,095
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 30, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 16,434
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 30, 2017 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,463
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Apr. 30, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,033
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 30, 2017 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,210
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 30, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,106
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 29, 2017 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,030