|By Business Wire||
|June 2, 2014 07:01 AM EDT||
The third annual telecommuting survey by Staples shows that telecommuting is increasingly attractive to employees – with 71 percent of telecommuters saying it’s an important benefit when considering a new job. Ten percent of respondents even say they would take a salary reduction to keep the telecommuting benefit – something for employers to take note of when recruiting.
Achieving a better work/life balance ranks as the number one reason employees like telecommuting (74 percent) – up from number two last year. Transportation savings (69 percent) and green benefits (47 percent) are also cited as top reasons.
Employees also cite reduced stress as a major telecommuting benefit (69 percent) – up significantly from 48 percent in 2013. In fact, an overwhelming majority of employees (88 percent) believe telecommuting is a win-win for both them and their company – and employers agree:
- 65 percent of employers who allow their workers to telecommute report happier employees.
- 33 percent of employers report less absenteeism in the workforce when telecommuting is allowed.
“When a few companies recently banned telecommuting, it sparked a debate on the benefits of such programs,” said Paul Mullen, vice president of technology solutions, Staples Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples. “Our survey clearly shows the benefits. Not only does telecommuting lead to a happier workforce, it’s also a critical benefit to have from a recruiting standpoint. Employers who are flexible and support their staff with the tools they need to telecommute have a definite recruiting advantage.”
How to solve telecommuting challenges
Even with these benefits and the growing popularity of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies (50 percent of organizations surveyed offer BYOD), companies are still doing a poor job of educating employees around proper security measures and equipping them with appropriate furniture:
- Only 25 percent of employees have been trained on data backup/security best practices.
- Sixty-four percent of employees name a poor VPN connection as their biggest tech challenge when working from home.
- Fifty-eight percent of employers report that their telecommuters have connectivity problems several times per month or more.
- Only ten percent of employers offer furniture services to new telecommuters.
To ensure a smooth and secure telecommuting experience for employees, many experts recommend:
- Equipping the Workforce – With IT connectivity issues a main concern, telecommuting programs should ensure easy access to email, document sharing, instant messaging and video conferencing. Providing remote VPN capabilities to telecommuters is also important for easy network access.
- Employee Actions – Having employees set up lock screens is one simple step businesses can take.
- Implementing Security Measures – Encrypting device-side data by adding another layer of protection is important in the event an attacker manages to bypass a lock screen or finds a backdoor.
- Furnishing Office Spaces Appropriately – It’s important to consider furniture options in telecommuting programs, from ergonomic furniture to items like desk and drawer organizers. This will help telecommuters make their home offices more productive. In addition, more and more offices are designed with telecommuting in mind. In Staples’ Workplace of the Future Design Competition, many of the finalists focused on layouts and furniture options that accommodate a more mobile workforce who telecommutes occasionally, providing open spaces that allow people to move throughout an office based on their work needs.
For additional information from this survey, please view a SlideShare presentation here.
About the Survey
Staples conducted an online survey of 137 decision makers and 174 office workers at organizations of all sizes across the U.S. and Canada. The survey, conducted in March 2014, asked a series of questions about telecommuting programs, supplies and services provided, reimbursement and attitudes/behavior. Every work place is different and appropriate telecommuting and security policies vary by industry and by the nature of individual jobs and employees.
Staples makes it easy to make more happen with more products and more ways to shop. Through its world-class retail, online and delivery capabilities, Staples lets customers shop however and whenever they want, whether it’s in-store, online or on mobile devices. Staples offers more products than ever, such as technology, facilities and breakroom supplies, furniture, safety supplies, medical supplies, and Copy and Print services. Staples also offers free shipping for Staples Rewards Members, in most cases overnight. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. More information about Staples (SPLS) is available at www.staples.com.
About Staples Advantage
Staples Advantage, the business-to-business division of Staples, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPLS), serves organizations of 20 or more employees up to the Fortune 1000, helping them make more happen with more products, greater cost savings and improved ordering efficiencies. Staples Advantage provides its customers, including global businesses, local, state and federal government, healthcare organizations and educational institutions, with a one source solution featuring comprehensive products and services like office supplies, technology, printing, promotional products, furniture and facility supplies, along with a customized level of account support and best-in-class customer service. More information is available at www.staplesadvantage.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,040
Oct. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,333
Oct. 27, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 405
Oct. 27, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,268
Oct. 27, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,546
Oct. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 605
Oct. 27, 2016 03:44 PM EDT Reads: 114
Oct. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 546
Oct. 27, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 596
Oct. 27, 2016 02:17 PM EDT Reads: 233
Oct. 27, 2016 01:48 PM EDT Reads: 285
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,600
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 991
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,150
Oct. 27, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,995