|By Marketwired .||
|June 4, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
TAIPEI, TAIWAN -- (Marketwired) -- 06/04/14 -- Computex - AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced new x86 AMD Embedded G-Series system-on-chip (SoC) and central processing unit (CPU) solutions for embedded applications, including early adoption by HP for thin client deployment in healthcare, finance, education and retail, as well as Advantech for industrial applications in rugged environments.
The new product families expand upon the high-performance, low-power capabilities of the award-winning AMD Embedded G-Series platform, bringing high performance and integrated security with enterprise-class error-correction code (ECC) memory support, dual- and quad-core variants, and a discrete-class GPU and I/O controller on the same die. The new G-Series processors are pin-compatible across the AMD G-Series SoC and CPU family for ease of scalability among embedded applications, including communications and networking infrastructure, industrial control and automation (IC&A), thin clients, gaming machines, and digital signage.
"The AMD Embedded G-Series SoC family is one of the most widely adopted platforms in the history of AMD Embedded Solutions, and AMD brings even more capabilities, experiences and ecosystem support with these new offerings," said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president and general manager, AMD Embedded Solutions. "The new SoC and CPU additions further our commitment to provide embedded design engineers with the highest levels of power efficient graphics and compute capabilities in the market, along with a pin-compatible and secure product portfolio to maximize their software and board-level investments."
AMD Embedded G-Series SoC Solutions (Previously Codenamed: "Steppe Eagle")
The new AMD Embedded G-Series SoC is an ideal fit for rugged and harsh environments, including IC&A applications with offerings for ultra low-power solutions down to 5 watts TDP with configurable TDP (cTDP) features, to high-performance deployments with up to 53 percent more overall performance compared to previous G-Series SoC solutions(1). Advantech's new industrial-grade Mini-ITX motherboard AIMB-225 employs quad- and dual-core AMD Embedded G-Series SoC processors, resulting in ultra low power consumption and advanced graphics performance for rugged applications such as ATMs, kiosks, automation, medical equipment and gaming machines.
Processors in the new AMD Embedded G-Series SoC family now include enhanced security features, with the AMD platform security processor (PSP) built upon the ARM TrustZone® architecture, and are designed to protect against malicious access to sensitive data and operations at the hardware level, making them an ideal fit for cloud-based thin client solutions.
"There is a growing need for more advanced embedded solutions in healthcare, finance, education and retail services," said Jeff Groudan, worldwide director, Thin Client product management, HP. "The AMD G-series SoC provides HP thin clients with enhanced security, value and unmatched performance."
AMD Embedded G-Series CPU Solutions (Previously Codenamed: "Crowned Eagle")
As datacenters continue to scale up to meet the demands brought by the cloud and the proliferation of devices, cost and energy efficiency aspects become ever more critical. IT organizations are looking to consolidate their processing capabilities onto a uniform architecture that delivers high performance at low costs and low power. With 64-bit processing based on dual- or quad-core x86 CPU architecture, the new AMD G-Series CPUs are ideally suited for networking and communications infrastructure applications. The new AMD G-Series CPUs deliver 1.2 - 2.0 GHz and a robust feature set, including integrated PCI-E Gen 2.0, USB3.0, SATA ports, and single-channel DDR3-1600 memory with ECC support.
An on-chip PSP offloads Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) functionality, which facilitates control and data plane functionality, resulting in cost-optimized, fan-less security appliances, storage controllers and Network Attached Storage appliances. The integration of a wide variety of peripherals, combined with the ability to deliver 34 percent more CPU-centric performance-per-dollar than competing Intel solutions(2), makes the new AMD G-Series CPU an ideal choice for control plane applications on router and switch line cards.
New Features, Benefits and Support
- Integrated security solution: By combining its breadth and decades of market experience with ARM TrustZone® architecture, AMD is creating a new generation of secure computing capabilities for digital content, data, e-commerce and trusted client-to-cloud interactions. The AMD PSP is built upon the TrustZone® architecture and designed to protect against malicious access to sensitive data and operations at the hardware level based on open standards and interoperable APIs.
- Increased performance-per-watt: The AMD Embedded G-Series SoC provides advanced power management features, including cTDP, increase the performance-per-watt efficiency of the platform 96 percent compared to the previous platform(3).
- Pin compatibility: With the introduction of the new AMD G-Series SoC and CPU solutions, AMD embedded customers can now create common boards across the entire AMD G-Series SoC family to migrate designs between solutions for hardware, software and board-level scalability by leveraging existing hardware and software investments.
- Open-source Linux development: As a gold-level member of the Yocto Project, a Linux Foundation Collaboration Project, and as part of a recent multi-year agreement with Mentor Graphics, embedded systems developers now have access to customized embedded Linux development and commercial support on the AMD G-Series family through Mentor Embedded Linux and Sourcery CodeBench, as well as no-cost Mentor Embedded Linux Lite.
- Learn more about the new AMD Embedded G-Series product family
- Blog: New AMD G-Series SoCs and CPUs Arrive
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow @AMDEmbedded on Twitter
- Join AMD on Google Plus
AMD (NYSE: AMD) designs and integrates technology that powers millions of intelligent devices, including personal computers, tablets, game consoles and cloud servers that define the new era of surround computing. AMD solutions enable people everywhere to realize the full potential of their favorite devices and applications to push the boundaries of what is possible. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
(1) Overall performance was measured using a suite of industry benchmarks consisting of 3DMark06, 3DMark11, POVRay v3.7, Passmark v7, PCMark8 v2.0, and BasemarkCL 1.0. The GX-412HC's TDP is 7W and GX-210HA's TDP is 9W. The performance delta of 53% was calculated based on GX-412HC's geometric mean of 555.3 and GX-210HA's geometric mean of 363.6. The performance-per-watt delta of 96% was calculated based on GX-412HC's performance-per-watt ratio of 79.3 and GX-210HA's performance-per-watt ratio of 40.4. The AMD Steppe Eagle GX-412HC and G-S SOC GX-210HA used an AMD Larne motherboard with 4GB DDR3-1333 memory and 320GB Toshiba HDD. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-104
(2) Performance comparison is based on the EEMBC CoreMark v1.0 benchmark. The kit price of GX-416RA is $25 and the kit price of Celeron 1037U is $25. The performance delta of 34% was calculated based on GX-416RA's CoreMark score of 24699 and Celeron 1037U's CoreMark score of 18461. The performance-per-$ delta of 34% was calculated based on the GX-416RA's performance-per-$ ratio of 987.96 and 1037U's performance-per-$ ratio of 738.44. The AMD Steppe Eagle GX-416RA used an AMD Larne development board with 4GB DDR3-1600 memory and 80GB Hitachi HDD. The Intel Celeron 1037U used a Toshiba Satellite C55-A5220 motherboard with 8GB DDR3-1600 memory and 256GB Sandisk HDD. Both systems ran Ubuntu Linux 11.1. EMB-105
(3) Overall performance was measured using a suite of industry benchmarks consisting of 3DMark06, 3DMark11, POVRay v3.7, Passmark v7, PCMark8 v2.0, and BasemarkCL 1.0. The GX-412HC's TDP is 7W and GX-210HA's TDP is 9W. The performance delta of 53% was calculated based on GX-412HC's geometric mean of 555.3 and GX-210HA's geometric mean of 363.6. The performance-per-watt delta of 96% was calculated based on GX-412HC's performance-per-watt ratio of 79.3 and GX-210HA's performance-per-watt ratio of 40.4. The AMD Steppe Eagle GX-412HC and G-S SOC GX-210HA used an AMD Larne motherboard with 4GB DDR3-1333 memory and 320GB Toshiba HDD. The system ran Windows® 7 Ultimate. EMB-104
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Mentor Graphics, Mentor, and Nucleus are trademarks of Mentor Graphics Corporation and Sourcery is a trademark of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks of their respective owners.
AMD Public Relations
What sort of WebRTC based applications can we expect to see over the next year and beyond? One way to predict development trends is to see what sorts of applications startups are building. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Arin Sime, founder of WebRTC.ventures, will discuss the current and likely future trends in WebRTC application development based on real requests for custom applications from real customers, as well as other public sources of information,
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 953
Interoute has announced the integration of its Global Cloud Infrastructure platform with Rancher Labs’ container management platform, Rancher. This approach enables enterprises to accelerate their digital transformation and infrastructure investments. Matthew Finnie, Interoute CTO commented “Enterprises developing and building apps in the cloud and those on a path to Digital Transformation need Digital ICT Infrastructure that allows them to build, test and deploy faster than ever before. The int...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,226
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, discussed how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a practic...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,353
ChatOps is an emerging topic that has led to the wide availability of integrations between group chat and various other tools/platforms. Currently, HipChat is an extremely powerful collaboration platform due to the various ChatOps integrations that are available. However, DevOps automation can involve orchestration and complex workflows. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Himanshu Chhetri, CTO at Addteq, will cover practical examples and use cases such as self-provisioning infra...
Mar. 27, 2017 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,057
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,634
The cloud competition for database hosts is fierce. How do you evaluate a cloud provider for your database platform? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Chris Presley, a Solutions Architect at Pythian, gave users a checklist of considerations when choosing a provider. Chris Presley is a Solutions Architect at Pythian. He loves order – making him a premier Microsoft SQL Server expert. Not only has he programmed and administered SQL Server, but he has also shared his expertise and passion with budd...
Mar. 27, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,050
Apache Hadoop is emerging as a distributed platform for handling large and fast incoming streams of data. Predictive maintenance, supply chain optimization, and Internet-of-Things analysis are examples where Hadoop provides the scalable storage, processing, and analytics platform to gain meaningful insights from granular data that is typically only valuable from a large-scale, aggregate view. One architecture useful for capturing and analyzing streaming data is the Lambda Architecture, represent...
Mar. 27, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 6,318
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,194
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Mar. 27, 2017 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,592
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Mar. 27, 2017 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 12,928
Adding public cloud resources to an existing application can be a daunting process. The tools that you currently use to manage the software and hardware outside the cloud aren’t always the best tools to efficiently grow into the cloud. All of the major configuration management tools have cloud orchestration plugins that can be leveraged, but there are also cloud-native tools that can dramatically improve the efficiency of managing your application lifecycle.
Mar. 27, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
DevOps is often described as a combination of technology and culture. Without both, DevOps isn't complete. However, applying the culture to outdated technology is a recipe for disaster; as response times grow and connections between teams are delayed by technology, the culture will die. A Nutanix Enterprise Cloud has many benefits that provide the needed base for a true DevOps paradigm. In his Day 3 Keynote at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Brown, a Solutions Marketing Manager at Nutanix, will explore t...
Mar. 27, 2017 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,968
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 27, 2017 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 27, 2017 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,037