|By Marketwired .||
|June 10, 2014 10:09 AM EDT||
WASHINGTON, DC--(Marketwired - June 10, 2014) - With the first matches of the National Pro Fitness League (NPFL) scheduled for late August, the DC Brawlers ownership team has announced the signing of its initial seven athletes who will compete in the inaugural season that will run August to October 2014.
The Brawlers' roster boasts some of the top names in the sport, as well as emerging athletes ready to make their mark. Three of the athletes, Christy Adkins, Jerry Hill and Alec Smith, live in the Mid-Atlantic States and will be a solid foundation for the hometown team.
"I'm thrilled with the team we've been able to put together thus far," said head coach Justin Cotler. "This group of athletes will be a force of experience and fitness diversity in the NPFL. From powerlifting expertise to competitive gymnastics athletes, I can't wait to get this group together in our DC facility and start training for the first NPFL matches in August."
In addition to the current athletes, the DC Brawlers will select the remainder of their roster during the NPFL Draft that takes place in Ft. Lauderdale on July 10 to round out the team.
"The first seven signed athletes are representative of the DC Brawlers' spirit of ferocity, toughness and strength for success," said Brandon Kirby, DC Brawlers Chief Marketing Officer. "These performance athletes have reached elite levels in functional fitness and we're proud to have them sign with the Brawlers."
The athletes are:
- Christy Adkins, 28, is a Washington, D.C. local who played Division I Lacrosse at George Washington University.
- Janet Black, 40, is a native of Burnt Hills, NY who was a collegiate soccer player and named All-American.
- Lindsey Bourdon, 28, is a two-time USA Junior Olympic Team Member and former University of Michigan gymnast from Cartersville, Georgia.
- Christian Harris, 27, is a New York native who played college football and earned 1st All-Conference. His specialties include heavy Olympic lifting and squatting.
- Jerry Hill, 47, hails from Alexandria, Virginia and is a competitive powerlifter who played baseball in junior college and served in the U.S. Marine Corps.
- Alec Smith, 21, resides in Chesapeake, Va. and brings eight years of competitive gymnastics to the team.
- Taylar Stallings, 28, is a track and field athlete turned coach at University of South Florida. She specializes in powerlifting and currently resides in Tampa.
The DC Brawlers will kick-off their abbreviated regular season schedule with an away match against the Phoenix Rise on August 23 and another away game vs. New York Rhinos on September 7. The team's inaugural home match will take place on September 13 vs. Philadelphia Founders. Locations and ticket information is forthcoming.
About National Pro Fitness League
The National Pro Fitness League is the world's first professional spectator sport with co-ed teams that compete in human performance races. It's a mainstream sporting league that is fan, TV and sponsor friendly. Each two-hour match features two 8-person teams (4 men, 4 women, one of each being over 40 years old) going head to head in a physically intense series of races. NPFL races are easy to follow and are played with pre-set, flexible rules designed to force teams to strategize. The NPFL has eight teams operating in Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Miami and San Francisco.
About the DC Brawlers
Founded in April 2014, and located in Washington, DC, the DC Brawlers is an official team of the National Professional Fitness League. The team embodies the core principles of integrity, toughness, ferocity and strength. Featuring both male and female functional fitness athletes, the DC Brawlers seeks to inspire the fight within. Follow the DC Brawlers on social media for regular updates: Facebook.com/DCBrawlers, Twitter.com/BrawlersDC and Instagram.com/dcbrawlers.
For more information, please visit: http://npfl.com/
The following files are available for download:
Director of Public Relations
Dec. 7, 2016 10:30 PM EST Reads: 821
Dec. 7, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 1,187
Dec. 7, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 323
Dec. 7, 2016 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,631
Dec. 7, 2016 08:15 PM EST Reads: 2,207
Dec. 7, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 1,790
Dec. 7, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 375
Dec. 7, 2016 07:00 PM EST Reads: 469
Dec. 7, 2016 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,664
Dec. 7, 2016 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,872
Dec. 7, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,104
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 930
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 345
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 270
Dec. 7, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,753