|By Marketwired .||
|June 11, 2014 10:57 AM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/11/14 -- As the school year winds down, families are once again gearing up for vacation season. They are also gearing up for the tricky balance between keeping kids engaged and entertained on the road without losing them completely into the vortex of videos and video games. To help head off the vacant stare that comes from too much screen time, the travel experts at Cheapflights.com have compiled the list Put down the iPhone: Top 10 travel toys that don't need a charger. Summer vacations are memories in the making, so it's an ideal time for kids (and parents) to unplug a bit.
To get you started, here are five suggestions from our list of toys, accessories and games that will get the kids involved in their travel adventures and keep the focus on fun for everyone:
- Best for automobile-crazy kids -- PlayTape -- This is the tape that turns every surface into a road, runway or flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Picture the scene: You're in an airport with hours to kill, but your son or daughter can pull out their toy cars and turn a dull airport lounge into Le Mans or Indianapolis. PlayTape sticks to every flat surface and is reposition-able, toxin-free, disposable and recyclable. There are no batteries involved and no screens, just dreams. It's suitable for children 3 years old and up. (PlayTape sells for $7.99.)
- Best for children old enough to pack their own bags -- Trunki -- It's a milestone (an oh-so-welcome milestone) when children are big enough to take care of their own luggage. The ride-on Trunki is a great piece of a travel kit. It's bash-able (by which we mean it's durable) and there are lots of cute character suitcases to choose from -- Moshi Monsters, Gruffalo, Hello Kitty -- as well as cows, bumble bees, tigers, ladybirds alongside the original pink and blue (Trixie and Terrance). It's carry-on approved in the U.S. in most cases (check with your airline). Trunki is 18.2 inches long, 8.5 inches wide and 12.8 inches high, and holds up to 75 pounds. Once packed, children can ride on it, using the "horns" to steer or be towed along by the strap. It's not the most comfortable thing to sling over your shoulder, but parents can carry Trunki when little legs get tired. (Trunki sells for $40.)
- Best for crafty kids -- Melissa and Doug sticker books -- Melissa and Doug create sturdy, beautiful, educational toys. Big, fun coloring books, sturdy crayons and some beautiful sticker pads for girls and boys of all ages. Options include fairy and princess books, animal habitat sticker books, create-a-meal sticker pads, make-a-face, dress-up, dinosaurs and beach scenes. They're suitable for kids 3 years old and up. The jewelry-and-nails sticker pad will engage pre-teens and, perhaps, when they think no one is looking, young teenagers too. Melissa and Doug also have a range of "puffy" stickers and "velvet" stickers with velvet-flocked borders that are fun to touch, color and create artwork with. (Sticker books start at about $5.)
- Best for readers -- Kindle Paperwhite -- One of the most cumbersome aspects of traveling with children is accommodating all their chargers and accessories and then making sure they're recharged at night. So an e-reader with a battery that lasts eight weeks, the Kindle Paperwhite, sounds like a genius thing. There's no screen glare in bright sunlight and, crucially for read-under-the-covers kids, there's a built-in light. A single charge can last for up to eight weeks -- almost an entire summer vacation! That measurement is based on reading for 30 minutes a day with wireless off and the light setting at 10. If a family vacation has to include a little light studying, the dictionary, vocabulary builder and instant translator will come in handy. There's a nifty little feature that'll let you see how long it will take to finish a chapter or book. And, to ensure that kids don't fall behind during the long summer vacation, FreeTime allows parents to create personalized profiles and give kids access from your collection. There are achievement badges that keep track of accomplishments. It can all be monitored: Parents will be updated on the amount of time spent reading, the number of words looked up and the books read. ($119 in the U.S.)
- Best for kids who love magnets -- travel games -- Snakes and ladders, hangman, connect the dots -- all long-time favorites. When they're in magnetic, travel form, they're not just time-killing games, but opportunities to learn. Is the plane seat magnetic? What about the windows? Shutters? Tray tables? Cutlery? Peppa Pig is a near-global favorite and this two-in-one travel game features ludo and snakes and ladders. The double-sided boards fold into a compact, easy-to-carry travel game. Magnetic pieces and a tumbling dice in a plastic capsule should mean that none of the pieces gets lost. And there are slide-out drawers that can be a game, too. ($18 in the U.S.)
The unplugged travel toys that round out our list are: Best for the one who has to tune out -- Linx Fusion; Best for budding chalk artists -- a Roll-Up Chalk and Travel Draw Mat; Best for movie-fanatics -- Look and Find books; Best for sleepy heads -- Zip & Flip Penguin; Best for builders -- Lego suitcases; and Best for storytellers -- Rory's Story Cubes. To read the fun details on these and Cheapflights.com's complete Put down the iPhone: top 10 travel toys that don't need a charger, visit www.cheapflights.com/news/put-down-the-iphone-top-10-travel-toys-that-dont-need-a-charger.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2615333
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Jan. 24, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,679
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 24, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,827
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walked through how Octob...
Jan. 24, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,168
“RackN is a software company and we take how a hybrid infrastructure scenario, which consists of clouds, virtualization, traditional data center technologies - how to make them all work together seamlessly from an operational perspective,” stated Dan Choquette, Founder of RackN, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 24, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 3,666
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Jan. 24, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,738
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,930
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 24, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 5,401
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 24, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,281
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 24, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,026
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 24, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 4,500
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 24, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 1,749
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 5,936
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 6-8, 2017 at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,746
“DevOps is really about the business. The business is under pressure today, competitively in the marketplace to respond to the expectations of the customer. The business is driving IT and the problem is that IT isn't responding fast enough," explained Mark Levy, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Serena Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps Summit, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 11,759
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed ...
Jan. 24, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 6,540