|By Business Wire||
|June 12, 2014 01:00 PM EDT||
Public and private organizations around the world choose Dell Cloud solutions and services to achieve their unique business goals, improve competitiveness and better serve customers and citizens. The choice and flexibility Dell offers across private, public and hybrid cloud computing environments appeals to organizations globally that want cloud solutions tailored to their specific needs.
“Dell recognizes that each customer is unique and a one-size-cloud approach does not fit all. By combining our global ecosystem of leading cloud providers with our cloud management capabilities and end-to-end solutions and services, Dell can create a cloud environment tailored for a customer’s specific needs,” said Nnamdi Orakwue, Vice President, Software Strategy, Operations and Cloud, Dell. “With this cloud-agnostic approach, we’re providing a simpler cloud experience and enabling organizations worldwide to use cloud as both a technology and business enabler.”
Dell Cloud Fuels Businesses Globally
Dell Cloud solutions and services enable global businesses to scale rapidly to serve more customers and enter new markets, reduce overhead so expenses can be reprioritized to boost profits, and increase operational efficiencies allowing employees to focus on delivering business results.
- UK-based PIE Mapping saw significant demand for its services after developing a Freight Journey Planner that kept business moving on London’s roads during the 2012 Olympics. To meet this demand, PIE Mapping needed more scalable and flexible IT so it switched from an on-premises infrastructure to a Dell Cloud on Demand platform. The move has enabled the company to calculate complex routes significantly faster in the cloud, introduce several new products and services and can scale its IT in an instant to support its growing global ambitions.
“With local data centers supporting Dell Cloud on Demand, we don’t have to expect any latency issues,” said Freddie Talberg, CEO, PIE Mapping. “We can deliver a fast and efficient service to customers wherever they are using the Dell Cloud on Demand platform. This is a long-term partnership.”
- Leading online shopping comparison website LeGuide.com is based out of France but meets the demanding expectations of shoppers from 14 countries across Europe. As part of its growth, LeGuide.com acquired the shopping portal Ciao and needed to quickly integrate the new technology while also migrating its core infrastructure to a new data center leveraging cloud-based IT.
Partnering with Dell Services, the company designed a hybrid platform anchored on virtualized Dell PowerEdge servers and Dell EqualLogic storage. A private cloud sitting on top of the physical layer simplifies integration and a third cloud-on-demand layer comes into play when traffic to the site spikes dramatically. With this layered hybrid platform, LeGuide.com has consolidated servers, and reduced management time and costs by up to 40 percent. Additionally, the company can ramp capacity quickly and efficiently as needed in the future.
“Thanks to Dell Cloud Services, we can boost capacity at peak periods while maintaining the same level of security as our on-premises infrastructure,” said Mohammed Bellamine, COO, LeGuide.com. “This is the kind of flexibility that the industry requires.”
Dell Private Clouds Serve the Public Sector
Dell Cloud solutions are enabling governments and their agencies to efficiently modernize their IT infrastructures to better support their constituents with new and improved services.
- France’s SICTIAM, a government-controlled agency providing IT services to public institutions, turned to Dell to build a private cloud so it can provide Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) to its customers such as police stations and schools. By moving to the cloud and IaaS, local authorities reduce capital expenditure on IT and lower operational costs while improving employee productivity and potentially taxpayer value. Additionally, civil servants connecting to SICTIAM’s cloud have flexible access to key applications such as finance and payroll from multiple locations, and all institutions now have a platform for implementation of e-signatures, paperless offices and more environmentally-friendly working practices in the future.
“We easily create new services and tailor existing services to meet the needs of our clients through the Dell-based cloud,” said Jean Marie Mercolino, Joint Managing Director, SICTIAM. “We can react to the requests of personnel who may see the benefit of new features or functionalities.”
- Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) was formed to streamline and improve Scotland’s services by unifying eight separate fire and rescue services as well as Scotland’s fire college. SFRS needed to offer its 9,000 personnel a reliable finance system while a wide area network was in development. Dell Cloud Dedicated Service delivered the desired system while Dell Cloud on Demand was tapped for SFRS’s intranet and website services. The SFRS staff stays focused on work knowing finances are under control and the organization saves resources with a pay-as-you-grow model, easily switching additional services to the cloud as needed.
“We had our new finance system up and running in the cloud in just six weeks,” said Stuart Chalmers, ICT Business Services Manager, SFRS. “It was great work by everybody involved, and a testament to the efforts of Dell.”
Dell Cloud Enables Educators to Excel
For educational institutions across the world, Dell Cloud solutions and its cloud-agnostic approach provide flexibility and choice to procure the best cloud platform for educational excellence.
- The Dong Yang Education Bureau in China set out to improve K-12 education through an efficient, flexible and reliable cloud infrastructure. The platform supports students and teachers from 146 schools by running more than 500 administrative and learning application servers as well as virtual desktops—all with high expectations on performance, security, operational efficiency and data safety.
After months of working with Dong Yang Education Bureau to train the organization on the latest cloud capabilities, Dell designed a solution meeting all desired outcomes that includes Dell PowerEdge servers, Dell Storage, Dell Networking switches, Dell Software and Dell Services.
“Dell is experienced in propelling educational excellence, emphasizing the role of technology in the transformation of education.” Mr. Chen, Director of Dong Yang Education Bureau said, “Eighty percent of the schools in Dong Yang come from rural areas. Through the end-to-end cloud solutions provided by Dell, rural area schools now have more access to quality educational materials. Dell has improved the balanced development of education.”
- Chengdu University of Information Technology (CUIT) located in China’s Sichuan province, is using cloud and thin client computing to reduce management and energy costs, improve mobile access and collaboration and enable innovation for its 20,000 students and 3,000 staff. By virtue of its science and technology focus, IT plays a central role in CUIT’s programs so the move from traditional data center and PC environments to the cloud was an obvious choice to achieve its goals.
Working with Dell, CUIT designed two cloud platforms, one tailored for hyperscale computing and one for smaller compute requirements to meet the various needs of its 16 colleges, 71 departments and 42 research centers. When paired with Dell Wyse thin clients, the cloud infrastructure provides a highly-flexible compute environment with consistently fast access for CUIT students and significant savings. Additionally, the solution has been recognized by Sichuan’s provincial government and the department of education for its potential to enhance teacher and student performance and education across China.
Dell Inc. listens to customers and delivers innovative technology and services that give them the power to do more. For more information, visit www.dell.com.
Dell, PowerEdge, EqualLogic, Cloud Dedicated Service, Cloud on Demand, Dell Networking and Power Vault, are trademarks of Dell Inc. Dell disclaims any proprietary interest in the marks and names of others.
In the first article of this three-part series on hybrid cloud security, we discussed the Shared Responsibility Model and examined how the most common attack strategies persist, are amplified, or are mitigated as assets move from data centers to the cloud. Today, we’ll look at some of the unique security challenges that are introduced by public cloud environments. While cloud computing delivers many operational, cost-saving and security benefits, it takes place in a public, shared and on-demand ...
Feb. 20, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,070
Both SaaS vendors and SaaS buyers are going “all-in” to hyperscale IaaS platforms such as AWS, which is disrupting the SaaS value proposition. Why should the enterprise SaaS consumer pay for the SaaS service if their data is resident in adjacent AWS S3 buckets? If both SaaS sellers and buyers are using the same cloud tools, automation and pay-per-transaction model offered by IaaS platforms, then why not host the “shrink-wrapped” software in the customers’ cloud? Further, serverless computing, cl...
Feb. 20, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,626
The Software Defined Data Center (SDDC), which enables organizations to seamlessly run in a hybrid cloud model (public + private cloud), is here to stay. IDC estimates that the software-defined networking market will be valued at $3.7 billion by 2016. Security is a key component and benefit of the SDDC, and offers an opportunity to build security 'from the ground up' and weave it into the environment from day one. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Reuven Harrison, CTO and Co-Founder of Tufin, ...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:30 AM EST Reads: 4,576
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Feb. 20, 2017 05:15 AM EST
Information technology (IT) advances are transforming the way we innovate in business, thereby disrupting the old guard and their predictable status-quo. It’s creating global market turbulence. Industries are converging, and new opportunities and threats are emerging, like never before. So, how are savvy chief information officers (CIOs) leading this transition? Back in 2015, the IBM Institute for Business Value conducted a market study that included the findings from over 1,800 CIO interviews ...
Feb. 20, 2017 05:15 AM EST Reads: 1,343
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain.
Feb. 20, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 156
With the proliferation of both SQL and NoSQL databases, organizations can now target specific fit-for-purpose database tools for their different application needs regarding scalability, ease of use, ACID support, etc. Platform as a Service offerings make this even easier now, enabling developers to roll out their own database infrastructure in minutes with minimal management overhead. However, this same amount of flexibility also comes with the challenges of picking the right tool, on the right ...
Feb. 20, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 6,146
“We're a global managed hosting provider. Our core customer set is a U.S.-based customer that is looking to go global,” explained Adam Rogers, Managing Director at ANEXIA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 20, 2017 03:15 AM EST Reads: 1,338
In today's uber-connected, consumer-centric, cloud-enabled, insights-driven, multi-device, global world, the focus of solutions has shifted from the product that is sold to the person who is buying the product or service. Enterprises have rebranded their business around the consumers of their products. The buyer is the person and the focus is not on the offering. The person is connected through multiple devices, wearables, at home, on the road, and in multiple locations, sometimes simultaneously...
Feb. 20, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 6,104
Security, data privacy, reliability and regulatory compliance are critical factors when evaluating whether to move business applications from in-house client hosted environments to a cloud platform. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Vandana Viswanathan, Associate Director at Cognizant, In this session, will provide an orientation to the five stages required to implement a cloud hosted solution validation strategy.
Feb. 20, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 4,156
China Unicom exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE FDD, TD-LTE), fixed-line broadband, ICT, data communica...
Feb. 20, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 832
"We host and fully manage cloud data services, whether we store, the data, move the data, or run analytics on the data," stated Kamal Shannak, Senior Development Manager, Cloud Data Services, IBM, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 20, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 5,215
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Feb. 20, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 2,400
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 20, 2017 12:15 AM EST Reads: 971
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Feb. 20, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 1,415