|By Business Wire||
|June 17, 2014 05:21 PM EDT||
According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker, worldwide thin client and terminal client device shipments totaled 1.28 million units in the first quarter of 2014 (1Q14), an increase of 7.1% from the same quarter a year ago and 2% lower than IDC's forecast for the quarter. IDC expects the market to continue growing over the remainder of the year with 5.7 million units forecast to be shipped in 2014, representing 5% year-over-year growth. By 2018, these devices are expected to reach 7.8 million units shipped worldwide.
"After posting 14.5% year-over-year growth in the fourth quarter of 2013, the worldwide Enterprise client market continued to show good momentum in the first quarter. The positive growth in the worldwide shipments was helped by strong performances in five out of the eight regional markets, bringing worldwide shipments in the quarter to nearly 1.3 million units," said Rajani Singh, Research Analyst, Personal Computing at IDC.
- Thin Clients continue to make up the vast majority (97.5%) of enterprise client devices and saw an increase of 8.9% from the previous year. Terminal clients also saw an increase from the previous year with 25,540 units shipped.
- The standalone form factor constitutes the largest segment of the overall market at 88.9% share. For the mobile form factor, 67.7% of the worldwide share is concentrated in Japan. Thin clients with LCD are dominant in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ) with 40% of the worldwide share.
- Thin Clients without Operating Systems (zero clients) now hold 24.6% share among the thin client segment, which is an increase of 13.6% from the previous year. Windows Embedded OS thin clients are the largest at 44.5% share.
- HP – HP continued to rank number 1 in 1Q14 with 30.6% worldwide market share. This quarter, they ranked first in five out of eight regions.
- DellWyse – While Dell held the number 2 position with 27.0% worldwide market share in 1Q14, it remains the number one vendor in the Americas with 40.2% share, where it holds top rank in the United States with 43.1% share.
- NComputing –NComputing ranks third in worldwide market share at 8.3% share in 1Q14. Despite having no shipments in China, NComputing ranked number 2 in APeJ. Terminal clients represent 93.1% of its total terminal unit volume, which helped it to achieve this top position.
- Igel – Igel continued its strong performance from the previous quarter with 51.7% year-over-year growth at the worldwide level. It made notable gains in Western Europe with 90.9% of its shipments concentrated there.
- Centerm – Within the thin client category, Centerm held the number 1 position in the APeJ market for 1Q14, with 22.9% regional share due to being the leading vendor in China with 41.3% local share.
Worldwide Enterprise Client Device Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2014
Source: IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Client Device Tracker, Q1 2014.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic illustrating the emerging and mature market shares of worldwide ECD shipments over the 2012-2018 forecast period is available here. Instructions on how to embed this Graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 758
Aug. 28, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,386
Aug. 28, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,351
Aug. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,769
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,155
Aug. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,091
Aug. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,966
Aug. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,832
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,004
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,357
Aug. 27, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,781
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,106
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 742
Aug. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,585
Aug. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,891