|By Business Wire||
|June 20, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
The worldwide large format printer (LFP) market recorded positive year-over-year results in both units (7.4%) and shipment value (3.7%) in the first quarter of 2014 (1Q14). This marks the third consecutive quarter of growth in both units and shipment value. According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, the worldwide LFP market recorded approximately 81,500 unit shipments in the first quarter of 2014.
"Shipments of UV-curable inkjet devices have been growing steadily over the past three years and IDC expects this trend to continue at a similar pace over the next 3 years," said Phuong Hang, Program Manager, Worldwide Large Format Printer Trackers.
- The technical segment increased 9.3% year over year to 49,500 units shipped and 61% share of the total LFP market in the first quarter. All of IDC's regional markets experienced positive year-over-year growth in this segment with four out of eight showing double-digit growth, including Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (10.5%), Japan (14.1%), Middle East & Africa (15.4%), and the U.S. (11.8%). Shipment value for this segment also grew 1.4% to more than $301 million in 1Q14.
- The graphics application segment grew 4.6% year over year and at 32,000 units accounts for 39% of the total LFP market. Five out of eight regional markets recorded year-over-year unit growth in this segment with Japan leading the pack at 22.4%, followed by Middle East & Africa and Canada at 18.7% and 12.8%, respectively. Similar to the technical segment, shipment value in graphics also expanded 5.3% year-over-year to over $493 million.
- HP remained the undisputed leader in the global LFP market with 39.8% unit share. The vendor grew 5.5% year over year to 32,500 units in the first quarter. HP remains the clear market leader in its traditional area of strength, the technical market, with more than two times the share of its next competitor, Canon. HP is the number three ranked vendor in the graphics market, trailing market leaders Epson and Canon.
- Canon climbed up one spot from a year ago to the number 2 position in the LFP market overall. The vendor ranked second in both the CAD and graphics segments with double-digit unit growth year over year, 18.8% and 16.6%, respectively. Canon also enjoyed significant year-over-year growth in its biggest regional markets for technical and graphics printers, growing 22.5% in Western Europe in the technical segment and 30.3% in Japan in the graphics space.
- Trailing Canon by less than 1 point in unit shipment share, Epson was the number 3 ranked vendor in the global LFP market with nearly 17,000 units shipped. The vendor grew 4.4% year over year to 20% share. Epson is the top vendor in the graphic applications segment, with close to three times the share of the next vendor, Canon. While technical printers are only a small part of its LFP sales, Epson grew its shipments in this segment by 7.4% over the previous year.
- Roland, which holds a 3.4% share of the overall LFP market, was the number 4 ranked vendor in the worldwide market. Roland’s shipments increased 12.4% year over year. Roland’s strength is the graphics market, where it held the fourth position worldwide and grew 4.1% from a year earlier.
- Ricoh rounded out the top 5 vendors worldwide with a three percent share of the worldwide LFP market, and enjoyed 4.0% unit growth compared to a year earlier. The vendor holds the number 4 spot in the technical market, where it saw a 3.8% gain year over year.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipment Value, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2014 (shipment values in millions of US$)
|Vendors||1Q14 Shipment Value||1Q14 Market Share||1Q13 Shipment Value||1Q13 Market Share||1Q14/1Q13 Growth|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, June 2014
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic illustrating worldwide unit shipment market share for the top 5 LFP vendors for 1Q14 and 1Q13 is available here. Instructions on how to embed this graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang ([email protected]).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, explored the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and provided a hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He examined three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. Asaf Yigal is co-founder and VP of Product at log analytics software company Logz.io. In the past, he was co-founder of social-trading platform Currensee, which...
Nov. 25, 2015 06:45 PM EST Reads: 126
Container technology is shaping the future of DevOps and it’s also changing the way organizations think about application development. With the rise of mobile applications in the enterprise, businesses are abandoning year-long development cycles and embracing technologies that enable rapid development and continuous deployment of apps. In his session at DevOps Summit, Kurt Collins, Developer Evangelist at Built.io, examined how Docker has evolved into a highly effective tool for application del...
Nov. 25, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 299
Discussions of cloud computing have evolved in recent years from a focus on specific types of cloud, to a world of hybrid cloud, and to a world dominated by the APIs that make today's multi-cloud environments and hybrid clouds possible. In this Power Panel at 17th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists addressed the importance of customers being able to use the specific technologies they need, through environments and ecosystems that expose their APIs to make true ...
Nov. 25, 2015 04:15 PM EST Reads: 473
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 25, 2015 03:45 PM EST
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:45 PM EST Reads: 493
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Nov. 25, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 504
The cloud. Like a comic book superhero, there seems to be no problem it can’t fix or cost it can’t slash. Yet making the transition is not always easy and production environments are still largely on premise. Taking some practical and sensible steps to reduce risk can also help provide a basis for a successful cloud transition. A plethora of surveys from the likes of IDG and Gartner show that more than 70 percent of enterprises have deployed at least one or more cloud application or workload. Y...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 424
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 351
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Day 2 Keynote at 17th Cloud Expo, San...
Nov. 25, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 509
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 25, 2015 01:45 PM EST
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 25, 2015 01:30 PM EST Reads: 464
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 362
There are over 120 breakout sessions in all, with Keynotes, General Sessions, and Power Panels adding to three days of incredibly rich presentations and content. Join @ThingsExpo conference chair Roger Strukhoff (@IoT2040), June 7-9, 2016 in New York City, for three days of intense 'Internet of Things' discussion and focus, including Big Data's indespensable role in IoT, Smart Grids and Industrial Internet of Things, Wearables and Consumer IoT, as well as (new) IoT's use in Vertical Markets.
Nov. 25, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 516
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 25, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 428
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 25, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 115