|By Business Wire||
|June 20, 2014 08:30 AM EDT||
The worldwide large format printer (LFP) market recorded positive year-over-year results in both units (7.4%) and shipment value (3.7%) in the first quarter of 2014 (1Q14). This marks the third consecutive quarter of growth in both units and shipment value. According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, the worldwide LFP market recorded approximately 81,500 unit shipments in the first quarter of 2014.
"Shipments of UV-curable inkjet devices have been growing steadily over the past three years and IDC expects this trend to continue at a similar pace over the next 3 years," said Phuong Hang, Program Manager, Worldwide Large Format Printer Trackers.
- The technical segment increased 9.3% year over year to 49,500 units shipped and 61% share of the total LFP market in the first quarter. All of IDC's regional markets experienced positive year-over-year growth in this segment with four out of eight showing double-digit growth, including Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (10.5%), Japan (14.1%), Middle East & Africa (15.4%), and the U.S. (11.8%). Shipment value for this segment also grew 1.4% to more than $301 million in 1Q14.
- The graphics application segment grew 4.6% year over year and at 32,000 units accounts for 39% of the total LFP market. Five out of eight regional markets recorded year-over-year unit growth in this segment with Japan leading the pack at 22.4%, followed by Middle East & Africa and Canada at 18.7% and 12.8%, respectively. Similar to the technical segment, shipment value in graphics also expanded 5.3% year-over-year to over $493 million.
- HP remained the undisputed leader in the global LFP market with 39.8% unit share. The vendor grew 5.5% year over year to 32,500 units in the first quarter. HP remains the clear market leader in its traditional area of strength, the technical market, with more than two times the share of its next competitor, Canon. HP is the number three ranked vendor in the graphics market, trailing market leaders Epson and Canon.
- Canon climbed up one spot from a year ago to the number 2 position in the LFP market overall. The vendor ranked second in both the CAD and graphics segments with double-digit unit growth year over year, 18.8% and 16.6%, respectively. Canon also enjoyed significant year-over-year growth in its biggest regional markets for technical and graphics printers, growing 22.5% in Western Europe in the technical segment and 30.3% in Japan in the graphics space.
- Trailing Canon by less than 1 point in unit shipment share, Epson was the number 3 ranked vendor in the global LFP market with nearly 17,000 units shipped. The vendor grew 4.4% year over year to 20% share. Epson is the top vendor in the graphic applications segment, with close to three times the share of the next vendor, Canon. While technical printers are only a small part of its LFP sales, Epson grew its shipments in this segment by 7.4% over the previous year.
- Roland, which holds a 3.4% share of the overall LFP market, was the number 4 ranked vendor in the worldwide market. Roland’s shipments increased 12.4% year over year. Roland’s strength is the graphics market, where it held the fourth position worldwide and grew 4.1% from a year earlier.
- Ricoh rounded out the top 5 vendors worldwide with a three percent share of the worldwide LFP market, and enjoyed 4.0% unit growth compared to a year earlier. The vendor holds the number 4 spot in the technical market, where it saw a 3.8% gain year over year.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipment Value, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2014 (shipment values in millions of US$)
|Vendors||1Q14 Shipment Value||1Q14 Market Share||1Q13 Shipment Value||1Q13 Market Share||1Q14/1Q13 Growth|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, June 2014
- IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market
- The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic illustrating worldwide unit shipment market share for the top 5 LFP vendors for 1Q14 and 1Q13 is available here. Instructions on how to embed this graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang ([email protected]).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,442
"Avere Systems is a hybrid cloud solution provider. We have customers that want to use cloud storage and we have customers that want to take advantage of cloud compute," explained Rebecca Thompson, VP of Marketing at Avere Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Oct. 23, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,995
Apache Hadoop is a key technology for gaining business insights from your Big Data, but the penetration into enterprises is shockingly low. In fact, Apache Hadoop and Big Data proponents recognize that this technology has not yet achieved its game-changing business potential. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, John Mertic, director of program management for ODPi at The Linux Foundation, will explain why this is, how we can work together as an open data community to increase adoption, and the i...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,871
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 780
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 23, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,471
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 23, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,007
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,811
All clouds are not equal. To succeed in a DevOps context, organizations should plan to develop/deploy apps across a choice of on-premise and public clouds simultaneously depending on the business needs. This is where the concept of the Lean Cloud comes in - resting on the idea that you often need to relocate your app modules over their life cycles for both innovation and operational efficiency in the cloud. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at19th Cloud Expo, Valentin (Val) Bercovici, CTO of So...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,118
SYS-CON Events announced today that StarNet Communications will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. StarNet Communications’ FastX is the industry first cloud-based remote X Windows emulator. Using standard Web browsers (FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) users from around the world gain highly secure access to applications and data hosted on Linux-based servers in a central data center. ...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,061
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, the leading provider of modern development tools and best practices for Continuous Integration on OpenVMS, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware products and development tools that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Oct. 23, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,454
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,336
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 23, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,419
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 8,325
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to impr...
Oct. 23, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,675
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 23, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,103