|By Marketwired .||
|June 20, 2014 10:20 AM EDT||
MISSION, KS -- (Marketwired) -- 06/20/14 -- (Family Features) Whether you're traveling solo, with friends, or with the entire family, there are ways to get where you're going and enjoy your time there without spending your life savings. One of the easiest ways to save on summer travel is to take advantage of free websites and mobile apps that do the deal finding for you.
- Get fare alerts. Take the worry out of finding the best price by signing up for fare alerts to get email notifications when the cost of your flight itinerary changes. Travel websites like Hipmunk offer the service for free.
- Pull the trigger. If you see a great fare, book it. All airlines selling airfare in the U.S. allow you to cancel within 24 hours without any penalties as long as you purchased a ticket at least seven days before the flight. Many airlines also let you hold a fare for a short time for a small fee.
- Try metasearch sites. Search for airfare on websites like Hipmunk, BookingBuddy, and SmarterTravel.com, which compare top travel sites to show the best flight or hotel at the cheapest price.
Finding the Perfect Place to Stay
- Book hotels last-minute. Hotels often offer special mobile-only rates for last-minute bookers. For example, Hipmunk's Tonight Deals saves app users up to 60 percent on hotel rates.
- Try a vacation rental. Rates can be cheaper than hotels and cooking your own meals saves on eating out. Airbnb and HomeAway are popular vacation rental websites and you can see their listings alongside traditional hotels when you search through Hipmunk.
- Look at reviews. Sentiment-based reviews like Hipmunk's make it faster and easier to see a hotel's strengths and weaknesses without having to read pages of individual reviews. At a glance you're able to see whether past hotel guests were happy with the price of breakfast or thought the hotel was a value.
Activities and Dining
- Pre-purchase activities. Browse activities or dining deals on sites like Groupon or LivingSocial and pre-purchase the ones you like at a significant discount. Make reservations well in advance for the dates you'll be in town.
- Find last-minute dining deals. Use the Yelp app to identify local restaurants offering a deal. Just search nearby restaurants and filter by "offering a deal" to taste local flavors at a discount.
- Walk it off. Use a site like Walk Score to identify and stay in areas that are walkable to avoid cab fares and public transportation costs.
- Try short-term car rental. If you'll need a car on and off, try services like Zipcar or Getaround. You can borrow a car for as little as an hour so you don't pay for it when you're not using it.
- Rideshare. Uber or Lyft rates are often cheaper than cab fares and the apps are free. In addition, you pay through the apps so you never have to pull out your wallet in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
About Family Features Editorial Syndicate
This and other food and lifestyle content can be found at www.editors.familyfeatures.com. Family Features is a leading provider of free food and lifestyle content for use in print and online publications. Register with no obligation to access a variety of formatted and unformatted features, accompanying photos, and automatically updating Web content solutions.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2622541
"We formed Formation several years ago to really address the need for bring complete modernization and software-defined storage to the more classic private cloud marketplace," stated Mark Lewis, Chairman and CEO of Formation Data Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 25, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,465
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,745
Jul. 25, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,448
Jul. 25, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,347
Jul. 25, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,004
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,392
Jul. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,821
Jul. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,178
Jul. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,837
Jul. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,158
Jul. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 814
Jul. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 991
Jul. 25, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,217
Jul. 25, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,252
Jul. 25, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,644