|By Marketwired .||
|June 25, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
SACRAMENTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/25/14 -- e.Republic's Center for Digital Education (CDE) will present the second-annual Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards (DCCAA) for K-12 at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2014 conference in Atlanta on June 30.
"We are excited to announce the honorees of the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards," said Alan Cox, Senior Vice President for the Center for Digital Education. "This year's winners are leveraging the power of digital content and curriculum in creative ways that enhance and personalize learning. They offer innovative examples for other schools to emulate. The Center for Digital Education congratulates them all for their leadership in moving education forward!"
The awardees are using technology to advance digital curriculum and content in exciting ways. Here are some highlights:
- Highline School District, Wash., has seen a dramatic increase in elementary math scores with the use of adaptive digital tools. Since 2012-13, all K-8 students have accessed an adaptive digital math partner for 90 minutes a week. Internal data show students made at least 75 percent progress toward completing their syllabus work and were 38 percent more likely to pass state exams than students with less syllabus progress. At sixth grade, test scores increased from 15 points below the state average to 2 points above.
- In Florida, Broward County Public Schools' Digital 5 Pathway to Personalized Learning program gives fifth graders in selected schools daily access to a digital curriculum, digital devices and digital tools for learning. A unique approach to a one-to-one initiative, Digital 5 combines new reading and mathematics curricula with a blended learning environment that personalizes instruction and allows for self-paced learning. Preliminary evaluation results have shown high student engagement, increased attendance and a significant decline in student behavioral issues. These results have led to Broward to double the number of Digital 5 schools for the upcoming year and add new programs to support sixth and ninth grade.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's Common Core Technology Project aims to provide all 600,000+ students with a device preloaded with digital content aligned to the Common Core State Standards. So far 76,000 devices have been deployed and thousands of teachers trained in their use and accompanying content. Currently digital curriculum in mathematics and English language arts is interactive and technology-enhanced. A substantial investment to increase the District's infrastructure was made to enable the use of a massive mobile device management system which is deploying applications to all District devices. A comprehensive security strategy allows the District to track and recover devices that are lost or stolen.
The K-12 honorees in each category:
K-12 Small-Medium District/School (up to 12,000 students)
- Encinitas Union School District, Calif. - One to One Digital Learning Program
- Henry County Public Schools, Va. - 21st Century Mobile Learning
- Leyden High School District 212, Ill. - Taking Learning to the Cloud: Leyden's 1:1 Program
- Monroe County Schools, Ga. - Mobile and Measurable Math
- Vail Unified School District, Ariz. - Beyond Textbooks
K-12 Large District/School (12,000 or more students)
- Atlanta Public Schools - Trekking through 21st Century Learning with myBackPack
- Broward County Public Schools, Fla. - Digital 5: Broward's Pathway to Personalized Learning
- Clark County School District, Nev. - E3 Project: Engage, Empower, Explore and District Technology Plan
- Highline School District, Wash. - BlendED: Adaptive Tools as a Pathway to Success
- Houston Independent School District - An Overarching Solution for 21st Century Learning
- Los Angeles Unified School District - Common Core Technology Project Leads 1:1 Initiative
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Tenn. - MNPS All Stars: Transforming Instruction with a Click of the Mouse
- Orange County Public Schools, Fla. - Cloud Connect
CDE thanks our Premier Sponsor, Samsung, and sponsors AMD, Infoblox and T-Mobile, for underwriting the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards.
About The Center for Digital Education
The Center for Digital Education (CDE) is a national research and advisory institute specializing in K-12 and higher education technology trends, policy, and funding. CDE provides education and industry leaders with decision support and actionable insight to help effectively incorporate new technologies in the 21st century.
CDE is a division of e.Republic, the nation's only media and research company focused exclusively on state and local government and education.
SYS-CON Events announced today the Containers & Microservices Bootcamp, being held November 3-4, 2015, in conjunction with 17th Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, and @DevOpsSummit at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This is your chance to get started with the latest technology in the industry. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Containers and Microservices Bootcamp, led by Janakiram MSV, a Microsoft Regional Director, will include presentations as well as hands-on...
Aug. 28, 2015 10:07 AM EDT
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 252
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 28, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 171
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 28, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 136
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 28, 2015 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 320
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 28, 2015 09:38 AM EDT
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 386
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of ...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 AM EDT
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes ab...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 534
In today's digital world, change is the one constant. Disruptive innovations like cloud, mobility, social media, and the Internet of Things have reshaped the market and set new standards in customer expectations. To remain competitive, businesses must tap the potential of emerging technologies and markets through the rapid release of new products and services. However, the rigid and siloed structures of traditional IT platforms and processes are slowing them down – resulting in lengthy delivery ...
Aug. 28, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 519
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Aug. 28, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 353
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 28, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 425
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 28, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 329
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 311