|By Marketwired .||
|June 25, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
SACRAMENTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/25/14 -- e.Republic's Center for Digital Education (CDE) will present the second-annual Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards (DCCAA) for K-12 at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2014 conference in Atlanta on June 30.
"We are excited to announce the honorees of the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards," said Alan Cox, Senior Vice President for the Center for Digital Education. "This year's winners are leveraging the power of digital content and curriculum in creative ways that enhance and personalize learning. They offer innovative examples for other schools to emulate. The Center for Digital Education congratulates them all for their leadership in moving education forward!"
The awardees are using technology to advance digital curriculum and content in exciting ways. Here are some highlights:
- Highline School District, Wash., has seen a dramatic increase in elementary math scores with the use of adaptive digital tools. Since 2012-13, all K-8 students have accessed an adaptive digital math partner for 90 minutes a week. Internal data show students made at least 75 percent progress toward completing their syllabus work and were 38 percent more likely to pass state exams than students with less syllabus progress. At sixth grade, test scores increased from 15 points below the state average to 2 points above.
- In Florida, Broward County Public Schools' Digital 5 Pathway to Personalized Learning program gives fifth graders in selected schools daily access to a digital curriculum, digital devices and digital tools for learning. A unique approach to a one-to-one initiative, Digital 5 combines new reading and mathematics curricula with a blended learning environment that personalizes instruction and allows for self-paced learning. Preliminary evaluation results have shown high student engagement, increased attendance and a significant decline in student behavioral issues. These results have led to Broward to double the number of Digital 5 schools for the upcoming year and add new programs to support sixth and ninth grade.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's Common Core Technology Project aims to provide all 600,000+ students with a device preloaded with digital content aligned to the Common Core State Standards. So far 76,000 devices have been deployed and thousands of teachers trained in their use and accompanying content. Currently digital curriculum in mathematics and English language arts is interactive and technology-enhanced. A substantial investment to increase the District's infrastructure was made to enable the use of a massive mobile device management system which is deploying applications to all District devices. A comprehensive security strategy allows the District to track and recover devices that are lost or stolen.
The K-12 honorees in each category:
K-12 Small-Medium District/School (up to 12,000 students)
- Encinitas Union School District, Calif. - One to One Digital Learning Program
- Henry County Public Schools, Va. - 21st Century Mobile Learning
- Leyden High School District 212, Ill. - Taking Learning to the Cloud: Leyden's 1:1 Program
- Monroe County Schools, Ga. - Mobile and Measurable Math
- Vail Unified School District, Ariz. - Beyond Textbooks
K-12 Large District/School (12,000 or more students)
- Atlanta Public Schools - Trekking through 21st Century Learning with myBackPack
- Broward County Public Schools, Fla. - Digital 5: Broward's Pathway to Personalized Learning
- Clark County School District, Nev. - E3 Project: Engage, Empower, Explore and District Technology Plan
- Highline School District, Wash. - BlendED: Adaptive Tools as a Pathway to Success
- Houston Independent School District - An Overarching Solution for 21st Century Learning
- Los Angeles Unified School District - Common Core Technology Project Leads 1:1 Initiative
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Tenn. - MNPS All Stars: Transforming Instruction with a Click of the Mouse
- Orange County Public Schools, Fla. - Cloud Connect
CDE thanks our Premier Sponsor, Samsung, and sponsors AMD, Infoblox and T-Mobile, for underwriting the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards.
About The Center for Digital Education
The Center for Digital Education (CDE) is a national research and advisory institute specializing in K-12 and higher education technology trends, policy, and funding. CDE provides education and industry leaders with decision support and actionable insight to help effectively incorporate new technologies in the 21st century.
CDE is a division of e.Republic, the nation's only media and research company focused exclusively on state and local government and education.
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jul. 23, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,826
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 23, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 750
Many private cloud projects were built to deliver self-service access to development and test resources. While those clouds delivered faster access to resources, they lacked visibility, control and security needed for production deployments. In their session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steve Anderson, Product Manager at BMC Software, and Rick Lefort, Principal Technical Marketing Consultant at BMC Software, discussed how a cloud designed for production operations not only helps accelerate developer in...
Jul. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,161
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Jul. 23, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,641
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Jul. 23, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,695
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 23, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 613
Venafi has extended the power of its platform in an easy-to-use utility for DevOps teams available for immediate download. Now DevOps teams can eliminate the hassle of acquiring and installing TLS keys and certificates. Instead, customers can focus on speeding up continuous development and deployment, while security teams have complete visibility and can keep the DevOps environment secure and compliant to protect customer data. Extending the Venafi Trust Protection Platform requires only a singl...
Jul. 23, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 998
Aspose.Total for .NET is the most complete package of all file format APIs for .NET as offered by Aspose. It empowers developers to create, edit, render, print and convert between a wide range of popular document formats within any .NET, C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET applications. Aspose compiles all .NET APIs on a daily basis to ensure that it contains the most up to date versions of each of Aspose .NET APIs. If a new .NET API or a new version of existing APIs is released during the subscription peri...
Jul. 23, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 471
The competitive landscape of the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry is crowded due to the presence of a large number of players. The large number of participants has led to the fragmented nature of the market. Some of the major players operating in the global cloud computing market in the healthcare industry are Cisco Systems Inc., Carestream Health Inc., Carecloud Corp., AGFA Healthcare, IBM Corp., Cleardata Networks, Merge Healthcare Inc., Microsoft Corp., Intel Corp., an...
Jul. 23, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 706
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jul. 23, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 806
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, discussed the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filterin...
Jul. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,108
Is your aging software platform suffering from technical debt while the market changes and demands new solutions at a faster clip? It’s a bold move, but you might consider walking away from your core platform and starting fresh. ReadyTalk did exactly that. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and over a decade of audio conferencing product development to start an innovati...
Jul. 23, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 814
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 23, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,813
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Jul. 23, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 470
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 23, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 482