|By Marketwired .||
|June 25, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
SACRAMENTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/25/14 -- e.Republic's Center for Digital Education (CDE) will present the second-annual Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards (DCCAA) for K-12 at the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2014 conference in Atlanta on June 30.
"We are excited to announce the honorees of the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards," said Alan Cox, Senior Vice President for the Center for Digital Education. "This year's winners are leveraging the power of digital content and curriculum in creative ways that enhance and personalize learning. They offer innovative examples for other schools to emulate. The Center for Digital Education congratulates them all for their leadership in moving education forward!"
The awardees are using technology to advance digital curriculum and content in exciting ways. Here are some highlights:
- Highline School District, Wash., has seen a dramatic increase in elementary math scores with the use of adaptive digital tools. Since 2012-13, all K-8 students have accessed an adaptive digital math partner for 90 minutes a week. Internal data show students made at least 75 percent progress toward completing their syllabus work and were 38 percent more likely to pass state exams than students with less syllabus progress. At sixth grade, test scores increased from 15 points below the state average to 2 points above.
- In Florida, Broward County Public Schools' Digital 5 Pathway to Personalized Learning program gives fifth graders in selected schools daily access to a digital curriculum, digital devices and digital tools for learning. A unique approach to a one-to-one initiative, Digital 5 combines new reading and mathematics curricula with a blended learning environment that personalizes instruction and allows for self-paced learning. Preliminary evaluation results have shown high student engagement, increased attendance and a significant decline in student behavioral issues. These results have led to Broward to double the number of Digital 5 schools for the upcoming year and add new programs to support sixth and ninth grade.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's Common Core Technology Project aims to provide all 600,000+ students with a device preloaded with digital content aligned to the Common Core State Standards. So far 76,000 devices have been deployed and thousands of teachers trained in their use and accompanying content. Currently digital curriculum in mathematics and English language arts is interactive and technology-enhanced. A substantial investment to increase the District's infrastructure was made to enable the use of a massive mobile device management system which is deploying applications to all District devices. A comprehensive security strategy allows the District to track and recover devices that are lost or stolen.
The K-12 honorees in each category:
K-12 Small-Medium District/School (up to 12,000 students)
- Encinitas Union School District, Calif. - One to One Digital Learning Program
- Henry County Public Schools, Va. - 21st Century Mobile Learning
- Leyden High School District 212, Ill. - Taking Learning to the Cloud: Leyden's 1:1 Program
- Monroe County Schools, Ga. - Mobile and Measurable Math
- Vail Unified School District, Ariz. - Beyond Textbooks
K-12 Large District/School (12,000 or more students)
- Atlanta Public Schools - Trekking through 21st Century Learning with myBackPack
- Broward County Public Schools, Fla. - Digital 5: Broward's Pathway to Personalized Learning
- Clark County School District, Nev. - E3 Project: Engage, Empower, Explore and District Technology Plan
- Highline School District, Wash. - BlendED: Adaptive Tools as a Pathway to Success
- Houston Independent School District - An Overarching Solution for 21st Century Learning
- Los Angeles Unified School District - Common Core Technology Project Leads 1:1 Initiative
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Tenn. - MNPS All Stars: Transforming Instruction with a Click of the Mouse
- Orange County Public Schools, Fla. - Cloud Connect
CDE thanks our Premier Sponsor, Samsung, and sponsors AMD, Infoblox and T-Mobile, for underwriting the 2014 Digital Content and Curriculum Achievement Awards.
About The Center for Digital Education
The Center for Digital Education (CDE) is a national research and advisory institute specializing in K-12 and higher education technology trends, policy, and funding. CDE provides education and industry leaders with decision support and actionable insight to help effectively incorporate new technologies in the 21st century.
CDE is a division of e.Republic, the nation's only media and research company focused exclusively on state and local government and education.
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Jan. 18, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 3,126
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 4,182
Big Data engines are powering a lot of service businesses right now. Data is collected from users from wearable technologies, web behaviors, purchase behavior as well as several arbitrary data points we’d never think of. The demand for faster and bigger engines to crunch and serve up the data to services is growing exponentially. You see a LOT of correlation between “Cloud” and “Big Data” but on Big Data and “Hybrid,” where hybrid hosting is the sanest approach to the Big Data Infrastructure pro...
Jan. 18, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 4,859
All organizations that did not originate this moment have a pre-existing culture as well as legacy technology and processes that can be more or less amenable to DevOps implementation. That organizational culture is influenced by the personalities and management styles of Executive Management, the wider culture in which the organization is situated, and the personalities of key team members at all levels of the organization. This culture and entrenched interests usually throw a wrench in the work...
Jan. 18, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,150
Hardware virtualization and cloud computing allowed us to increase resource utilization and increase our flexibility to respond to business demand. Docker Containers are the next quantum leap - Are they?! Databases always represented an additional set of challenges unique to running workloads requiring a maximum of I/O, network, CPU resources combined with data locality.
Jan. 18, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 224
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, will explore the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and will give a real live, hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He will examine three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. This is a hands-on session that will require participants to bring their own laptops, and we will provide the rest.
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 4,880
"We're bringing out a new application monitoring system to the DevOps space. It manages large enterprise applications that are distributed throughout a node in many enterprises and we manage them as one collective," explained Kevin Barnes, President of eCube Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at DevOps at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 5,364
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 4,564
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 18, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 4,746
In their general session at 16th Cloud Expo, Michael Piccininni, Global Account Manager - Cloud SP at EMC Corporation, and Mike Dietze, Regional Director at Windstream Hosted Solutions, reviewed next generation cloud services, including the Windstream-EMC Tier Storage solutions, and discussed how to increase efficiencies, improve service delivery and enhance corporate cloud solution development. Michael Piccininni is Global Account Manager – Cloud SP at EMC Corporation. He has been engaged in t...
Jan. 18, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 4,695
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,678
@DevOpsSummit at Cloud taking place June 6-8, 2017, at Javits Center, New York City, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long developm...
Jan. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,400
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,587
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Jan. 18, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 980
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 18, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 393