|By Marketwired .||
|June 26, 2014 02:04 PM EDT||
PORTLAND, OR -- (Marketwired) -- 06/26/14 -- Summer is here, and families and their pets are heading out into the great outdoors to enjoy warm-weather adventures. During the summer, cats and dogs are more prone to injury or illness due to increased activity, higher temperatures, and more interaction with other animals and humans. On the Floor @Dove, a leading, online veterinary training and certification program provided by DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital, identifies the top five potential summer pet health dangers and offers some tips on first aid and prevention.
- Heatstroke: Heatstroke occurs when an animal's body temperature rises to the point where organ damage takes place. Signs of heatstroke include rapid panting, bright red gums, thick and sticky saliva, and rapid heartbeat. As the condition progresses, the animal may exhibit an altered mental state, develop vomiting and diarrhea, and eventually collapse. First aid treatment is to begin the cooling process by soaking the animal in room-temperature water and immediately seeking medical care. To prevent heatstroke, avoid exercising dogs during the heat of the day. If they must be outside, make sure they have access to shade and plenty of water. Cats can suffer heatstroke too, but it occurs more often when they are trapped in a garage, attic or car.
- Hiking injuries: Hiking is an enjoyable activity for both canines and humans, but it can lead to some emergencies. Always keep your dog on a leash; this will keep him from falling off a cliff, eating toxic plants or attacking wildlife. Hiking dogs frequently suffer small abrasions, so carry bandage material with you to cover any open wounds until they can be evaluated by a veterinarian. Remember to take enough water for your dog as well. If your dog begins limping or is reluctant to rise after a long hike, do not give the animal any over-the-counter human medications. Talk with your veterinarian about specific canine medications that can be administered on an as-needed basis.
- Fights: Warm weather brings an increase in confrontations between dogs and between cats. If a fight breaks out, use extreme caution; do not try to separate the animals with your bare hands and risk serious injury. If you want to clean your pet's surface wounds (and the animal allows it), use only mild soap and water (avoid hydrogen peroxide, as it is toxic to living cells). All deep bite wounds should be examined by a veterinarian. Bite wounds are often worse below the surface of the skin; what looks like a small puncture wound can quickly turn into a major infection.
- Outdoor pests: Insects are out in force, and occasionally they cause trouble for pets, especially dogs. Minor allergic reactions to bites and stings are characterized by facial swelling and hives all over the body. A veterinarian can provide treatment to stop the allergic reaction and reduce the inflammation. Vomiting or diarrhea signifies a worse reaction, and immediate medical care is necessary. Anaphylaxis also occurs in dogs and cats; the animal will suddenly collapse and may have difficulty breathing. Take the animal to a veterinarian as quickly as possible.
- Food-related issues: Barbecues and backyard parties bring friends and good food together, but they also create the opportunity for pets to eat things they shouldn't. Watch your pets closely during outside parties and keep them away from grease drip trays, bones, corncobs, garbage and eager-to-share guests. Bones and corncobs, for example, can cause intestinal obstruction, requiring emergency surgery, while "treats" of the wrong sort can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, which can cause dehydration. If your pet develops vomiting and diarrhea, call your veterinarian for further instructions and possible medical care.
DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital, established in 1973 and based in Portland, Oregon, is the only nonprofit 24-hour veterinary emergency and intensive care unit in the region. DoveLewis provides donor-funded programs to the community, including one of the United States' largest volunteer-based animal blood banks; a nationally recognized pet loss support program; a partnership with Guide Dogs for the Blind to bring animal-assisted therapy and education to the community; 24-hour stabilizing care for lost, stray and wild animals; and financial assistance for qualifying low-income families and abused animals. DoveLewis also offers On the Floor @Dove, a web-based training platform that provides on-demand education to veterinary professionals around the world. Celebrating 40 years of service to the community, DoveLewis has treated more than 500,000 animals and has been deemed one of Oregon's Most Admired Nonprofits by the Portland Business Journal for seven years. For more information, please visit www.dovelewis.org.
Phone: (503) 546-7897
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often un...
Feb. 19, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 2,661
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Feb. 19, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 2,993
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 19, 2017 06:15 PM EST Reads: 936
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 19, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,245
Containers have changed the mind of IT in DevOps. They enable developers to work with dev, test, stage and production environments identically. Containers provide the right abstraction for microservices and many cloud platforms have integrated them into deployment pipelines. DevOps and containers together help companies achieve their business goals faster and more effectively. In his session at DevOps Summit, Ruslan Synytsky, CEO and Co-founder of Jelastic, reviewed the current landscape of Dev...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 5,212
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 787
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 7,895
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 771
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 8,000
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,461
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dataloop.IO, an innovator in cloud IT-monitoring whose products help organizations save time and money, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dataloop.IO is an emerging software company on the cutting edge of major IT-infrastructure trends including cloud computing and microservices. The company, founded in the UK but now based in San Fran...
Feb. 19, 2017 04:15 PM EST Reads: 1,938
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Feb. 19, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,267
In the first article of this three-part series on hybrid cloud security, we discussed the Shared Responsibility Model and examined how the most common attack strategies persist, are amplified, or are mitigated as assets move from data centers to the cloud. Today, we’ll look at some of the unique security challenges that are introduced by public cloud environments. While cloud computing delivers many operational, cost-saving and security benefits, it takes place in a public, shared and on-demand ...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 909
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sudarshan Krishnamurthi, a Senior Manager, Business Strategy, at Cisco Systems, will discuss how IT and operational technology (OT) work together, as opposed to being in separate siloes as once was traditional. Attendees will learn how to fully leverage the power of IoT in their organization by bringing the two sides together and bridging the communication gap. He will also look at what good leadership must entail in order to accomplish this, and how IT managers ca...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,064
In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Mike Johnston, an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io, will discuss how to use Kubernetes to setup a SaaS infrastructure for your business. Mike Johnston is an infrastructure engineer at Supergiant.io with over 12 years of experience designing, deploying, and maintaining server and workstation infrastructure at all scales. He has experience with brick and mortar data centers as well as cloud providers like Digital Ocean, Amazon Web Services, and Rackspace....
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,095