|By Business Wire||
|June 27, 2014 09:01 AM EDT||
Today at the National Press Club, a new report was released that outlines innovative new ways that the federal government, industry and other stakeholders can work together to solve the crisis of the failing state of U.S. infrastructure. Entitled “Making The Grade,” the report is the result of experts from 45 different organizations, including corporations, professional organizations, think tanks, financial advisors and academic institutions. It offers a six-point plan with fresh ideas to regain America's infrastructure leadership and revive the country’s global competitiveness.
Making the Grade report offers a six-point plan with fresh ideas to regain America's infrastructure leadership and revive the country's global competitiveness. (Photo: Business Wire)
The report's name is intended as a rallying cry in response to last year's quadrennial report card by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), which gave America's overall infrastructure a D+ grade. The ASCE estimates that US$3.6 trillion must be invested by 2020 to make critically needed upgrades and expansions of national infrastructure -- and avoid trillions of dollars in lost business sales, exports, disposable income and GDP.
While much has been written and discussed about the problem, Making the Grade provides substantive recommendations and workable solutions to help meet today’s and tomorrow’s infrastructure needs.
The report's six-point recommendations include: 1) Making infrastructure a cabinet-level priority; 2) Forming U.S. infrastructure regions; 3) Establishing a national infrastructure bank; 4) Selling “opportunity” bonds; 5) Creating a national infrastructure index and 6) Engaging the American people to build support for the importance of infrastructure policy.
Collectively, these recommendations apply modern tools, technologies, approaches and fresh thinking to offer a new vision and path forward for the way U.S. infrastructure should be planned, financed, designed and built.
For the full report, please visit: http://autode.sk/MakingTheGrade
Today's event and publication of the Making the Grade report is just the beginning. The 45 organizations involved are dedicated to driving the policy recommendations forward through continued public advocacy, wider industry dialogue and engagement with lawmakers over the coming months and years.
Commentary from Making The Grade Supporters
“Rebuilding America’s infrastructure should be our top economic
priority: it’s essential to our national competitiveness, will help
our businesses grow, and will create millions of much-needed middle
class jobs. We absolutely cannot lose our global edge on
infrastructure and the current trends are not headed in the right
direction. As the Making the Grade report – composed by experts
– makes clear, there are serious economic costs associated with our
infrastructure gridlock. This is a domestic emergency.
The good news is that there is strong bipartisan support for funding and financing infrastructure investment, provided we do it in a fiscally-responsible way. My bill, the Partnership to Build America Act, marries long-term goals from both parties: expanded infrastructure investment, tax reform, and more public-private partnerships. I’m proud to have my legislation highlighted in the report and I thank CG/LA and the other partners for raising awareness on this most vital issue.” -- John Delaney, Congressman, 6th District (D-Maryland)
- “Rarely have I read a document in which the words more powerfully complement the purpose - this is a true blueprint for the work that will lead our country forward, creating real value now and for the next generation - by 'regaining' and 'sustaining' public infrastructure leadership.” -- Norman Anderson, President and CEO, CG/LA Infrastructure
- “Our infrastructure has fallen behind the rest of the world, threatening our economic vitality and even becoming a danger to our citizens. We can't rely on the same-old way of doing things. We need to bring a renewed spirit of innovation and purpose to this challenge. We believe the Making The Grade report provides the right framework, fresh ideas and infusion of energy needed to jumpstart this discussion and create action as a unified industry. We look forward to working closely between the private and public sector to start implementing our recommendations with all due haste.” -- Terry D. Bennett, LS LPF MRICS ENV SP LEED AP, senior industry strategist for infrastructure, Autodesk
- “We not only must do better at building what we need, we need to do better in deciding what we need. The Making the Grade Report shows us a way forward in doing just that. This is not and cannot be just about us, about this generation and our needs. It must be about future generations and their options as well.” -- Bill Bertera, Executive Director, Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure
- “We can’t solve today’s challenges, let alone tomorrow’s, with yesterday’s thinking. It’s well documented that our critical human infrastructure receives failing grades today and needs attention. Through a combination of new and integrated project delivery models and technical and financing innovation we have the ability to address the significant challenges we face. It will take true collaboration among government, industry, the private sector and the public, but investments in infrastructure will lead to strong returns. This work has been started with the Making the Grade report, and it must continue.” -- Ralph Eberts, Executive Vice President, Managing Director of Water Americas, Black &Veatch
- “The Making the Grade Report represents the forward looking thinking of nearly 50 companies and organizations. The six-point plan to support rebuilding America's infrastructure provides the necessary direction forward, showing the country how we can dramatically increase our investment through the kind of private and public initiatives that benefit all stakeholders.” -- Andres Gluski, President and CEO, AES Corporation
- “Innovation in infrastructure requires long term effort and attention to the capabilities that must be developed among a coalition of stakeholders to achieve that goal. US infrastructure in particular is a 'wicked problem' - complex and open-ended - that requires a guiding framework and a high level of collaboration and originality for its resolution.” -- John Kao, fmr Harvard Business School Professor and Chairman, Institute for Large Scale Innovation
- “21st century success depends on 21st century infrastructure. Making the Grade outlines a thoughtful, balanced and timely program for addressing this critical need.” -- Dr. James A. Moore, SVP/Director National Community Planning & Urban Design, HDR
- “Infrastructure systems are the backbone of our economy and a critical part of our daily lives. While it’s tempting to assume that we should just address the largest funding gap first, it’s important to remember that all of our infrastructure is linked and each sector has a significant role to play. We need leadership from federal, state and local levels of government who will communicate the urgency of revitalizing our nation’s infrastructure, craft innovative solutions and make the investments the system needs so that the United States is competitive on a global level. Industry efforts like the Making the Grade Symposium and its report help head us in this direction.” -- Patrick Natale, P.E., F.ASCE, FASAE, CAE, Exec Director of American Society of Civil Engineers
Autodesk (NASDAQ:ADSK) helps people imagine, design and create a better world. Everyone—from design professionals, engineers and architects to digital artists, students and hobbyists—uses Autodesk software to unlock their creativity and solve important challenges. For more information visit autodesk.com/BIM or follow @autodesk.
CG/LA Infrastructure's goal is to provoke a doubling of the global investment in strategic infrastructure projects by the year 2020. Founded in 1987 by President & CEO Norman F. Anderson, CG/LA Infrastructure seeks to realize this goal through market research and intelligence, facilitating a community for visionary leaders, and strategic advisory to both the public and private sectors. For more information about CG/LA, please visit www.cg-la.com.
Autodesk and the Autodesk logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names or trademarks belong to their respective holders. Autodesk reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, and specifications and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document. © 2014 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducte...
Jul. 29, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 226
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a software development company, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software development company with representative offices in Atlanta (US), Sheffield (UK) and Würzburg (Germany); and development centers in Ukraine. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobi...
Jul. 29, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 173
One of the hottest areas in cloud right now is DRaaS and related offerings. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Dale Levesque, Disaster Recovery Product Manager with Windstream's Cloud and Data Center Marketing team, will discuss the benefits of the cloud model, which far outweigh the traditional approach, and how enterprises need to ensure that their needs are properly being met.
Jul. 29, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,661
The time is ripe for high speed resilient software defined storage solutions with unlimited scalability. ISS has been working with the leading open source projects and developed a commercial high performance solution that is able to grow forever without performance limitations. In his session at Cloud Expo, Alex Gorbachev, President of Intelligent Systems Services Inc., shared foundation principles of Ceph architecture, as well as the design to deliver this storage to traditional SAN storage co...
Jul. 29, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,721
The speed of software changes in growing and large scale rapid-paced DevOps environments presents a challenge for continuous testing. Many organizations struggle to get this right. Practices that work for small scale continuous testing may not be sufficient as the requirements grow. In his session at DevOps Summit, Marc Hornbeek, Sr. Solutions Architect of DevOps continuous test solutions at Spirent Communications, explained the best practices of continuous testing at high scale, which is rele...
Jul. 28, 2015 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,351
"We got started as search consultants. On the services side of the business we have help organizations save time and save money when they hit issues that everyone more or less hits when their data grows," noted Otis Gospodnetić, Founder of Sematext, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 28, 2015 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,003
"We've just seen a huge influx of new partners coming into our ecosystem, and partners building unique offerings on top of our API set," explained Seth Bostock, Chief Executive Officer at IndependenceIT, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 16th Cloud Expo, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Jul. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 584
Learn how to solve the problem of keeping files in sync between multiple Docker containers. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Aaron Brongersma, Senior Infrastructure Engineer at Modulus, discussed using rsync, GlusterFS, EBS and Bit Torrent Sync. He broke down the tools that are needed to help create a seamless user experience. In the end, can we have an environment where we can easily move Docker containers, servers, and volumes without impacting our applications? He shared his results so yo...
Jul. 28, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 713
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Arch...
Jul. 28, 2015 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,370
Chuck Piluso presented a study of cloud adoption trends and the power and flexibility of IBM Power and Pureflex cloud solutions. Prior to Secure Infrastructure and Services, Mr. Piluso founded North American Telecommunication Corporation, a facilities-based Competitive Local Exchange Carrier licensed by the Public Service Commission in 10 states, serving as the company's chairman and president from 1997 to 2000. Between 1990 and 1997, Mr. Piluso served as chairman & founder of International Te...
Jul. 28, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 253
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society-changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jason Mondanaro, Director, Product Management at Metanga, discussed how you can plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change the world...
Jul. 28, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,751
Public Cloud IaaS started its life in the developer and startup communities and has grown rapidly to a $20B+ industry, but it still pales in comparison to how much is spent worldwide on IT: $3.6 trillion. In fact, there are 8.6 million data centers worldwide, the reality is many small and medium sized business have server closets and colocation footprints filled with servers and storage gear. While on-premise environment virtualization may have peaked at 75%, the Public Cloud has lagged in adop...
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,183
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Jul. 28, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 217
How do you securely enable access to your applications in AWS without exposing any attack surfaces? The answer is usually very complicated because application environments morph over time in response to growing requirements from your employee base, your partners and your customers. In his session at @DevOpsSummit, Haseeb Budhani, CEO and Co-founder of Soha, shared five common approaches that DevOps teams follow to secure access to applications deployed in AWS, Azure, etc., and the friction an...
Jul. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 486
Digital Transformation is the ultimate goal of cloud computing and related initiatives. The phrase is certainly not a precise one, and as subject to hand-waving and distortion as any high-falutin' terminology in the world of information technology. Yet it is an excellent choice of words to describe what enterprise IT—and by extension, organizations in general—should be working to achieve. Digital Transformation means: handling all the data types being found and created in the organizat...
Jul. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,062