|By Business Wire||
|June 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT||
The Internet Society is pleased to announce that its Board of Trustees seated four new Board members at its Annual General Meeting, 27-28 June 2014. The Board of Trustees provides strategic direction for the Internet Society, as it seeks to achieve its mission of preserving and extending the open, resilient, global Internet accessible to everyone.
The Internet Society Board of Trustees are elected by the Internet Society’s Chapters and Organization Members, and appointed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). The following new Board members were elected to three-year terms:
- Hans Peter Dittler, elected by the Chapters, is CEO of BRAINTEC Netzwerk-Consulting, a company focused on Internet, network and security centered consultancy. He is also president of ISOC.DE, the German Chapter of the Internet Society.
- Gihan Dias, elected by the Chapters, is a professor at the University of Moratuwa and also heads the LK Domain Registry. In 2013, he was inducted into the Internet Hall of Fame for his pioneering work in building the Internet in Sri Lanka.
- Hiroshi Esaki was elected by the Organization Members. He has been a Vice Chair of Japan Network Information Center since 2006, has served as an IPv6 Forum Fellow and chair of IPv6 Ready Logo Program Committee since 2004, and has served as a director of WIDE Project since 2010.
- Sean Turner is the IETF appointee. He has been involved in the IETF since IETF 34 and has authored or co-authored over 30 RFCs. Sean served on the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) as the IETF Security Area Director. He is co-founder of IECA, Inc., which focuses on policy, design, and implementation of security solutions.
After seating the new Trustees, the Board re-elected Bob Hinden as its Chair. Mr. Hinden is a Check Point Fellow at Check Point Software, a co-inventor of IPv6, a member of the IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC), and a co-chair of the IPv6 working group (6MAN) at the IETF.
The Board of Trustees re-elected Scott Bradner as Secretary. Mr. Bradner, Senior Technical Consultant at Harvard University, has dedicated many years of outstanding service to the Internet Society, serving on the Board of Trustees from 1993-1999 and as Secretary since 2003. The Board also re-elected Kathy Brown as President and CEO of the Internet Society, and Jason Livingood, Vice President of Internet & Communications Engineering at Comcast, as Treasurer.
The Board of Trustees expressed appreciation to its four outgoing Board members:
- Alain Aina, Managing Director at Technologies Reséaux & Solutions and Special Projects Manager at AFRINIC (the Internet Address Registry for Africa);
- Raúl Echeberría, Executive Director & CEO of LACNIC (the Internet Address Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean) and Chair of the Internet Society Board 2009-2012;
- Theresa Swinehart, Senior Advisor to the President on Global Strategy, ICANN; and
- Bert Wijnen, Research engineer at RIPE-NCC.
“Our sincere thanks to the outgoing Trustees for their time and commitment to this organization during these important times,” said Bob Hinden, Chair of the Board of Trustees. “The Board had many important accomplishments that included hiring ISOC's new CEO Kathy Brown, providing additional support for the Internet Governance Forum, and refining the strategy of the Internet Society. We welcome our new Trustees and look forward to working together to ensure that the Internet Society is well-positioned to continue to provide leadership on issues that are critical to the Internet’s future development.”
The current members of the Internet Society Board of Trustees are:
- Eric Burger, Research Professor of Computer Science, and Director, Security and Software Engineering Research Center at Georgetown University
- Narelle Clark, Deputy CEO, Australian Communications Consumer Action Network; President of the Internet Society Australian Chapter
- Keith Davidson, International Director, InternetNZ
- Gihan Dias, Professor at the University of Moratuwa
- Hans Peter Dittler, CEO of BRAINTEC Netzwerk-Consulting
- Hiroshi Esaki, Vice Chair of Japan Network Information Center
- David Farber, Adjunct Professor of Internet Studies, Carnegie Mellon University and Moore Professor of Telecommunications (Emeritus) University of Pennsylvania
- Bob Hinden, Check Point Fellow at Check Point Software
- Jason Livingood, Vice President of Internet & Communications Engineering, Comcast
- Desiree Miloshevic, Senior Advisor, Public Policy and International Affairs, Afilias
- Sean Turner, co-founder of IECA, Inc.
- Rudi Vansnick, President of Internet Society Belgium
- Kathy Brown, President and CEO of the Internet Society; serves as a non-voting Trustee
“As a global organization, one of our great strengths is the thoughtful and diverse experience across our Board and the important insights our Trustees bring to our work,” said Kathy Brown, President and CEO of the Internet Society. “We deeply appreciate the Board’s strong commitment to our vision of an Internet that is open and accessible for everyone, and their keen interest in making a positive impact on the future of the Internet.”
More information, including biographical details of all Board members and details of the Board selection process, is available at: http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/board-trustees.
About the Internet Society
The Internet Society (www.internetsociety.org) is the trusted independent source for Internet information and thought leadership around the world. It is also the organizational home for the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). With its principled vision, substantial technological foundation and its global presence the Internet Society promotes open dialogue on Internet policy, technology, and future development among users, companies, governments, and other organizations. Working with its members and Chapters around the world, the Internet Society enables the continued evolution and growth of the Internet for everyone.
Aug. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,158
Aug. 29, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,992
Aug. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,201
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,867
Aug. 28, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,129
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,044
Aug. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,831
Aug. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,948
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 706
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,618
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,938
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 778
Aug. 28, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,511
Aug. 28, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 757
Aug. 28, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,674