|By Business Wire||
|June 30, 2014 12:22 PM EDT||
SimpliVity, the leader in hyperconverged infrastructure for the software-defined data center, today announced several additions to its rapidly expanding customer roster, including: City of Arvada, Colorado; City of Brighton, Colorado; City of Mesquite, Nevada; City of O’Fallon, Missouri; Town of Newington, Connecticut; and the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office in Massachusetts. These public sector organizations selected SimpliVity to simplify data center infrastructure and drive higher efficiency, while dramatically reducing costs.
State and local government finances continue to improve; however, these agencies must maintain service levels and innovate to serve their constituents in a cost-efficient way. As state and local municipalities modernize their IT infrastructure, many are turning to SimpliVity to replace their legacy stack of servers, storage switches, enterprise HDD and SSD storage, backup solutions and WAN optimization that have failed to meet their current needs.
SimpliVity OmniCube collapses legacy stacks and functionality into hyperconverged x86 building blocks. Deploying a network of two or more OmniCubes creates a global federation that facilitates efficient data movement, resource sharing and scalability. Integrated data protection and unified global management within and across sites drive greater operational efficiency. Further, OmniCube’s data architecture optimizes performance and capacity, and provides VM-centric management and mobility—all contributing to a radical reduction in complexity and cost.
City of Arvada, Colorado
- Situation: The city had its legacy infrastructure in place for more than six years. The environment was more complex and administrators spent more time attending to the Fibre Channel SAN.
- Solution: OmniCube federation in two data centers to accommodate 59 applications running simultaneously.
- Benefits: City of Arvada saw improved performance of critical applications, improved disaster recovery testing and strategy and a reduced data center footprint for energy efficiency.
- Quote: “Last year, the City of Arvada began looking for a new server and storage platform to re-home its police management system, and got bids for converged infrastructure offerings from hyperconverged startups Nutanix and SimpliVity as well as IBM, Hitachi, HP, Cisco and VCE V Block,” said Ron Czarnecki, CIO for City of Arvada. "SimpliVity turned out to be significantly different from all the others, and SimpliVity offers benefits like built-in deduplication, compression and replication, plus an all-inclusive pricing model.”
City of Brighton, Colorado
- Situation: Brighton is a Home Rule Municipality in Adams County, Colorado, with a population of more than 30,000. The City of Brighton required a refresh of its aging IT infrastructure that was experiencing performance issues, approaching capacity on its SAN and delivering poor recovery point and recovery time objectives with its incumbent backup solution.
- Solution: A three-node OmniCube federation running 50+ applications simultaneously.
- Benefits: After implementing SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure for its 14 TB of production data, Brighton was able to non-disruptively migrate its VMs and data within one week. The city immediately achieved a 36 percent capacity reduction and a 97 percent performance improvement. Brighton also improved recovery objectives: backing up full VMs every two hours, while saving 3.3PB of space.
- Quote: Jeromy King, assistant director of IT stated, “We believed that moving forward with a modern hyperconverged infrastructure solution was the right choice versus just adding more disk and not solving the true IT issue. And we received a big bonus in the native VM-level data protection in OmniCube. Now, we are in a much better position to add disaster recovery capabilities to our environment and deliver the service that we need to our customers.”
City of Mesquite, Colorado
- Situation: The city of Mesquite, Nevada is 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas and has a population of more than 15,000. The organization initially sought to do a capacity upgrade on the existing storage supporting its virtual workloads, which was approaching full capacity and nearing its refresh date.
- Solution: The municipality replaced most of its legacy infrastructure with a federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center hosting 40+ applications, and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The city of Mesquite realized value within one week with a performance improvement of up to 25 percent and a 50:1 capacity savings.
- Quote: “SimpliVity’s OmniCube is one of the most cost effective systems we have found since implementing VMware. There is more functionality in a single box than many solutions put in a complete rack,” said Dirk Marshall, IT manager at the City of Mesquite, Nevada.
City of O’Fallon, Missouri
- Situation: O’Fallon is a city in Saint Charles County, Missouri, with a population of more than 80,000. O’Fallon found the number of vendors it had to manage to be a burden, and the city also desired improvements in backup and disaster recovery.
- Solution: A federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The city of O’Fallon saw rapid value with performance improvements of 50 to 75 percent and capacity savings of up to 100:1. It also realized deployment agility. SimpliVity enables workload deployment within one day versus deployment times of up to one week before SimpliVity.
- Quote: “We are very pleased about how well SimpliVity integrated into our vCenter, as well as with the compression ratio of our virtual machines stored on OmniCube,” said Jim Woerther, IT administrator, City of O’Fallon.
Town of Newington, Connecticut
- Situation: The Town of Newington, located just south of Hartford, Connecticut, provides 24/7/365 services for 21 different departments, including public safety. Legacy infrastructure consisted of six servers and six iSCSI SANs across two data centers. The town initially pursued upgrading its infrastructure with existing vendors.
- Solution: OmniCube federations in two data centers.
- Benefits: The town realized value within the first week, reducing its data center footprint, achieving greater data efficiency, improving performance and introducing massive savings in storage and capital.
- Quote: “One of the nice things we really liked about the SimpliVity solution was that all administration is done within VMware’s vCenter. The plug-in allowed us to not only view performance for each data center, but also allow us to view performance per virtual machine – a very nice, slick and clean interface,” said Paul G. Boutot, CIO for the Town of Newington.
Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, Massachusetts
- Situation: Worcester County Sheriff’s Department serves one of the largest counties in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and supports just over 500 staff and mission-critical applications, including Public Safety Jail Management Software. The legacy infrastructure comprised of 16 servers and multiple complex SANs, could not keep pace with demand or staffing resources.
- Solution: A federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center running more than 40 applications, and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The office improved overall capacity of user-heavy applications and allowed for improved speed and availability, while increasing productivity for staff.
- Quote: “We were really pleased with the improvements in backup and disaster recovery enabled by OmniCube’s integrated data protection. Our recovery time and recovery point objectives were reduced to minutes from hours to days for all applications, regardless of size. Now, I have peace of mind,” stated Maurice Myrie, CIO for the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office.
"We’re very pleased with our rapid customer expansion, and thrilled to see the results our customers are realizing using our data virtualization platform,” said Doron Kempel, chairman and CEO of SimpliVity. “Our proven ability to drive efficiency while drastically reducing data center complexity and costs is contributing to our rapid growth and our leadership position in the hyperconverged infrastructure market.”.
About SimpliVity Corporation
SimpliVity's revolutionary Data Virtualization Platform delivered on hyperconverged infrastructure is the first and only technology that comprehensively —and simply—addresses the performance and capacity challenges in today’s software-defined data centers. Ensuring performance, capacity, mobility, manageability and protection of data without driving up CAPEX and OPEX requires a new data architecture delivered on commodity x86 building blocks. SimpliVity takes a VM-centric approach, ensures adequate IOPS to fuel application requirements and drives dramatic efficiency resulting in a 300 percent TCO savings. Launched in 2013, SimpliVity is used by hundreds of enterprises and service providers worldwide, including Dairylea, T-Systems, University of Alberta School of Business and Wausau Coated. Headquartered in Massachusetts, SimpliVity's business model is 100 percent indirect, and its solutions and professional services are available through its network of worldwide resellers and distributors. For more information, contact us at +1 508-310-1032, [email protected] or http://www.simplivity.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:15 AM EST Reads: 273
SYS-CON Events announced today that (ISC)²® (“ISC-squared”) will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Two leading non-profits focused on cloud and information security, (ISC)² and Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), developed the Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) certification to address the increased demand for cloud security expertise due to rapid growth in cloud. Recently named “The Next...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:07 AM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 413
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 118
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 11, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 240
The Art of DevOps provides a fun overview to help teams understand DevOps. Written in the style of the famous 6th century Chinese manuscript “The Art of War,” this eBook describes DevOps in the form of a mission to continuously deliver assets to the operational battlegrounds safely, securely, and quickly. It’s a fun read with valuable insights.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:33 AM EST
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:30 AM EST
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 11, 2016 10:15 AM EST
With the Apple Watch making its way onto wrists all over the world, it’s only a matter of time before it becomes a staple in the workplace. In fact, Forrester reported that 68 percent of technology and business decision-makers characterize wearables as a top priority for 2015. Recognizing their business value early on, FinancialForce.com was the first to bring ERP to wearables, helping streamline communication across front and back office functions. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Kevin Roberts...
Feb. 11, 2016 10:00 AM EST Reads: 394
SYS-CON Events announced today that FalconStor Software® Inc., a 15-year innovator of software-defined storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. FalconStor Software®, Inc. (NASDAQ: FALC) is a leading software-defined storage company offering a converged, hardware-agnostic, software-defined storage and data services platform. Its flagship solution FreeStor®, utilizes a horizonta...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:58 AM EST
DevOps is not just last year’s buzzword. Companies with DevOps practices are 2.5x more likely to exceed profitability, market share, and productivity goals. But how do you enable high performance? What can you do right now to start? Find out from DevOps experts including Gene Kim, co-author of "The Phoenix Project," and the Dynatrace Center of Excellence.
Feb. 11, 2016 09:45 AM EST
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, will discuss how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from mil...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:25 AM EST
As enterprises work to take advantage of Big Data technologies, they frequently become distracted by product-level decisions. In most new Big Data builds this approach is completely counter-productive: it presupposes tools that may not be a fit for development teams, forces IT to take on the burden of evaluating and maintaining unfamiliar technology, and represents a major up-front expense. In his session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Warfield, CTO and Co-Founder of Coho Data, will dis...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:15 AM EST Reads: 193
SYS-CON Events announced today that iDevices®, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. iDevices, the preeminent brand in the connected home industry, has a growing line of HomeKit-enabled products available at the largest retailers worldwide. Through the “Designed with iDevices” co-development program and its custom-built IoT Cloud Infrastruc...
Feb. 11, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 102
CIOs and those charged with running IT Operations are challenged to deliver secure, audited, and reliable compute environments for the applications and data for the business. Behind the scenes these tasks are often accomplished by following onerous time-consuming processes and often the management of these environments and processes will be outsourced to multiple IT service providers. In addition, the division of work is often siloed into traditional "towers" that are not well integrated for cro...
Feb. 11, 2016 08:00 AM EST Reads: 482