|By Shelly Palmer||
|July 6, 2014 05:24 PM EDT||
Sometimes, life sucks so hard.
One minute you waltz along, lah di dah and everything is perfect. The next, a 10,000-pound weight lands on your chest, knocks you flat and changes everything.
That must be how Eric Cantor feels right now. A rising star in Congress, the politician lost June 10 in a shocking Republican primary to David Brat, a little-known economics professor.
What will Cantor do now? Exactly what he’s supposed to.
The roughest moments of our careers are secretly the most pivotal ones. They sharpen our focus and may even change our life’s trajectory.
Isn’t that true for you… after these days happened?
1. You lost your job only to find one with more purpose and meaning. Who needed the last company in the first place?
2. You just missed out on your ‘dream’ job and swore it was the one. Lo and behold, an even better scenario came up right behind and you never looked back. Going with the flow? That’s the secret of your 20s.
3. Your boss reamed you out for a mistake on a big project. I mean, chewed your head off. Humbled, you picked yourself up and went 10x harder. Pretty soon, the boss considers you a top performer.
4. You couldn’t retrieve a HUGE document in Microsoft Word after your computer randomly restarted. Bet you never forget to hit “Save” again.
5. You completely spaced out and didn’t attend a critical client meeting. Yea, the one where everyone was there. From then on, you maintain a Google calendar with religious devotion.
6. Remember when you hit “Reply All” and made the inappropriate comment about the manager — and the manager was on the email chain? Now you review work emails (seven awkward ones here) like your job depends on it — because it does.
7. Oh, and then you had that one awful boss who made life miserable. Good thing for him or you may have never left. Can you imagine if you were still there?
8. The incredibly annoying coworker. You know, the one you couldn’t stand to be around. So you began to spend more time outside the office and, thanks to a face-to-face meeting, landed the company’s biggest account in five years. That damn coworker: burden or blessing?
10. When you showed up for a job interview with way-too-casual clothes and not a single question for the employer (ask these). Plus, the employer told you straight up, “You should have dressed better.” Wow, did you learn a lot that day or what?
11. First-round job interview at a Starbucks. You were dressed to impress, ready to shine. Twenty minutes went by and the employer didn’t show. You sent an email to check in. Employer responded, “So sorry. We filled the position and meant to email you. Truly, we apologize.” From that day forth, you are Mr. Reconfirm Meeting.
12. Still at the Starbucks. You cursed the world for such a devastating moment and stared out the window numb to it all. Just then, someone asked “Can I use this table too?” Turns out, he’s building a startup and can use an extra hand. It must be your lucky day because you walked out of Starbucks with a potential new job.
Sometimes, life hurts so good.
Those days when your career can’t be any worse… that’s exactly when opportunity knocks.
Here’s to the bitter, gut-wrenching moments of our professional lives.
We owe them everything.
How did a terrible career moment (ultimately) help you? Share below!
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 314
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 374
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 373
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 362
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 463
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 374
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 316
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 29, 2015 03:45 PM EDT
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 29, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 420
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 29, 2015 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 196
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 144
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 141
This Enterprise Strategy Group lab validation report of the NEC Express5800/R320 server with Intel® Xeon® processor presents the benefits of 99.999% uptime NEC fault-tolerant servers that lower overall virtualized server total cost of ownership. This report also includes survey data on the significant costs associated with system outages impacting enterprise and web applications. Click Here to Download Report Now!
Aug. 29, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 150
IBM’s Blue Box Cloud, powered by OpenStack, is now available in any of IBM’s globally integrated cloud data centers running SoftLayer infrastructure. Less than 90 days after its acquisition of Blue Box, IBM has integrated its Blue Box Cloud Dedicated private-cloud-as-a-service into its broader portfolio of OpenStack® based solutions. The announcement, made today at the OpenStack Silicon Valley event, further highlights IBM’s continued support to deliver OpenStack solutions across all cloud depl...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 198
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advance...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 244