|By Shelly Palmer||
|July 6, 2014 05:24 PM EDT||
Sometimes, life sucks so hard.
One minute you waltz along, lah di dah and everything is perfect. The next, a 10,000-pound weight lands on your chest, knocks you flat and changes everything.
That must be how Eric Cantor feels right now. A rising star in Congress, the politician lost June 10 in a shocking Republican primary to David Brat, a little-known economics professor.
What will Cantor do now? Exactly what he’s supposed to.
The roughest moments of our careers are secretly the most pivotal ones. They sharpen our focus and may even change our life’s trajectory.
Isn’t that true for you… after these days happened?
1. You lost your job only to find one with more purpose and meaning. Who needed the last company in the first place?
2. You just missed out on your ‘dream’ job and swore it was the one. Lo and behold, an even better scenario came up right behind and you never looked back. Going with the flow? That’s the secret of your 20s.
3. Your boss reamed you out for a mistake on a big project. I mean, chewed your head off. Humbled, you picked yourself up and went 10x harder. Pretty soon, the boss considers you a top performer.
4. You couldn’t retrieve a HUGE document in Microsoft Word after your computer randomly restarted. Bet you never forget to hit “Save” again.
5. You completely spaced out and didn’t attend a critical client meeting. Yea, the one where everyone was there. From then on, you maintain a Google calendar with religious devotion.
6. Remember when you hit “Reply All” and made the inappropriate comment about the manager — and the manager was on the email chain? Now you review work emails (seven awkward ones here) like your job depends on it — because it does.
7. Oh, and then you had that one awful boss who made life miserable. Good thing for him or you may have never left. Can you imagine if you were still there?
8. The incredibly annoying coworker. You know, the one you couldn’t stand to be around. So you began to spend more time outside the office and, thanks to a face-to-face meeting, landed the company’s biggest account in five years. That damn coworker: burden or blessing?
10. When you showed up for a job interview with way-too-casual clothes and not a single question for the employer (ask these). Plus, the employer told you straight up, “You should have dressed better.” Wow, did you learn a lot that day or what?
11. First-round job interview at a Starbucks. You were dressed to impress, ready to shine. Twenty minutes went by and the employer didn’t show. You sent an email to check in. Employer responded, “So sorry. We filled the position and meant to email you. Truly, we apologize.” From that day forth, you are Mr. Reconfirm Meeting.
12. Still at the Starbucks. You cursed the world for such a devastating moment and stared out the window numb to it all. Just then, someone asked “Can I use this table too?” Turns out, he’s building a startup and can use an extra hand. It must be your lucky day because you walked out of Starbucks with a potential new job.
Sometimes, life hurts so good.
Those days when your career can’t be any worse… that’s exactly when opportunity knocks.
Here’s to the bitter, gut-wrenching moments of our professional lives.
We owe them everything.
How did a terrible career moment (ultimately) help you? Share below!
SYS-CON Events announced today that Men & Mice, the leading global provider of DNS, DHCP and IP address management overlay solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The Men & Mice Suite overlay solution is already known for its powerful application in heterogeneous operating environments, enabling enterprises to scale without fuss. Building on a solid range of diverse platform support,...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,190
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
Apr. 29, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 437
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
Apr. 29, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,400
Unless you don’t use the internet, don’t live in California, or haven’t been paying attention to the recent news… you should be aware that self-driving cars are on their way to becoming a reality. I have seen them – they are real. If you believe in the future reality of self-driving cars, then continue reading on. If you don’t believe in the future possibilities, then I am not sure what to do to convince you other than discuss the very real changes that will roll out with the consumer producti...
Apr. 29, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 399
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
Apr. 29, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,096
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 859
Much of the value of DevOps comes from a (renewed) focus on measurement, sharing, and continuous feedback loops. In increasingly complex DevOps workflows and environments, and especially in larger, regulated, or more crystallized organizations, these core concepts become even more critical. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 18th Cloud Expo, Andi Mann, Chief Technology Advocate at Splunk, will show how, by focusing on 'metrics that matter,' you can provide objective, transparent, and meaningfu...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 452
Many private cloud projects were built to deliver self-service access to development and test resources. While those clouds delivered faster access to resources, they lacked visibility, control and security needed for production deployments. In their session at 18th Cloud Expo, Steve Anderson, Product Manager at BMC Software, and Rick Lefort, Principal Technical Marketing Consultant at BMC Software, will discuss how a cloud designed for production operations not only helps accelerate developer...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,017
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 966
Redis is not only the fastest database, but it has become the most popular among the new wave of applications running in containers. Redis speeds up just about every data interaction between your users or operational systems. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Dave Nielsen, Developer Relations at Redis Labs, will shares the functions and data structures used to solve everyday use cases that are driving Redis' popularity.
Apr. 29, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 987
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
Apr. 29, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 798
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 576
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 572
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
Apr. 29, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 577
Peak 10, Inc., has announced the implementation of IT service management, a business process alignment initiative based on the widely adopted Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) framework. The implementation of IT service management enhances Peak 10’s current service-minded approach to IT delivery by propelling the company to deliver higher levels of personalized and prompt service. The majority of Peak 10’s operations employees have been trained and certified in the ITIL frame...
Apr. 29, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 833