|By Marketwired .||
|July 8, 2014 04:06 PM EDT||
YELLOWKNIFE, NORTHWEST TERRITORIES -- (Marketwired) -- 07/08/14 -- Canada Revenue Agency
The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue, today took part in a roundtable with business owners in Yellowknife to obtain their feedback on the Government of Canada's measures to reduce red tape for small and medium-sized businesses. Minister Findlay also highlighted improvements to the array of online services for businesses offered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
As part of its Red Tape Reduction Action Plan, the Government of Canada has launched a number of service enhancements for businesses, including those introduced in Economic Action Plan 2014. Several have already been implemented, with additional service enhancements scheduled to roll out over the next year:
- In April 2014, the CRA's electronic filing services were expanded. Businesses can now file amended T2 corporate income tax returns online, and representatives for businesses can now send an authorization request to the CRA electronically instead of sending a paper form. Both add up to faster, easier interactions with the CRA.
- In October 2014, businesses will be able to update their banking and direct deposit information online, and the first free online option for paying taxes will be available for business owners registered with My Business Account. A detailed payment history for all of their accounts will be available in one secure and convenient place.
- The Government of Canada is revising remittance thresholds for employer source deductions to reduce the maximum number of payments that businesses have to prepare and send to the CRA, meaning less time spent doing paperwork and more time growing a business.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 will simplify tax rules for the lifetime capital gains exemption for certain individuals operating farming and fishing businesses, to allow for more consistent treatment.
- The CRA is building partnerships with the small business community, as well as provincial and municipal governments, on initiatives such as the CRA's Business Number, the recently announced Liaison Officer Initiative pilot project, and the proposed Registration of Tax Preparers Program (RTPP), all intended to help taxpayers more easily manage their tax affairs and "get it right from the start."
- The Government of Canada is taking strong action to ensure fairness in the tax system by tackling international tax evasion and aggressive tax avoidance with key measures such as the new Offshore Tax Informant Program, which was launched in January 2014. This new measure allows the CRA to make financial awards to individuals who provide information related to major international tax non-compliance that leads to the collection of taxes owing.
- In 2011, Canadian businesses identified over 1,100 irritants related to the tax system to the Government of Canada's Red Tape Reduction Commission.
- In the fall of 2012, the CRA held consultations with businesses, and has developed action plans to reduce or eliminate the compliance burden imposed by each irritant. The results of the 2012 consultations are available in the report called Focusing on Small Business Priorities: Canada Revenue Agency Consultations on Cutting Red Tape.
- From April 2013 to March 2014, the CRA responded to over 6,500 enquiries through the My Business Account enquiries service, a 30% increase over the same period last year.
"Our government is always looking for ways to improve service delivery and reduce red tape so that Canadian entrepreneurs can spend more time growing their businesses and less time doing paperwork. That is why we have introduced the Registered Tax Preparer Program and Liaison Officer Initiatives, to help small business owners get it right from the start."
The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of National Revenue
Canada Revenue Agency
Recognizing the need to identify and validate information security professionals’ competency in securing cloud services, the two leading membership organizations focused on cloud and information security, the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) and (ISC)^2, joined together to develop an international cloud security credential that reflects the most current and comprehensive best practices for securing and optimizing cloud computing environments.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:45 PM EST
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
Feb. 10, 2016 01:15 PM EST
Sensors and effectors of IoT are solving problems in new ways, but small businesses have been slow to join the quantified world. They’ll need information from IoT using applications as varied as the businesses themselves. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Meike, Distinguished Engineer, Director of Technology Innovation at Intuit, showed how IoT manufacturers can use open standards, public APIs and custom apps to enable the Quantified Small Business. He used a Raspberry Pi to connect sensors...
Feb. 10, 2016 01:00 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Avere Systems, a leading provider of enterprise storage for the hybrid cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Avere delivers a more modern architectural approach to storage that doesn’t require the overprovisioning of storage capacity to achieve performance, overspending on expensive storage media for inactive data or the overbuilding of data centers ...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:45 PM EST
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:15 PM EST Reads: 422
SYS-CON Events announced today that VAI, a leading ERP software provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. VAI (Vormittag Associates, Inc.) is a leading independent mid-market ERP software developer renowned for its flexible solutions and ability to automate critical business functions for the distribution, manufacturing, specialty retail and service sectors. An IBM Premier Business Part...
Feb. 10, 2016 12:00 PM EST Reads: 613
In most cases, it is convenient to have some human interaction with a web (micro-)service, no matter how small it is. A traditional approach would be to create an HTTP interface, where user requests will be dispatched and HTML/CSS pages must be served. This approach is indeed very traditional for a web site, but not really convenient for a web service, which is not intended to be good looking, 24x7 up and running and UX-optimized. Instead, talking to a web service in a chat-bot mode would be muc...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 254
It's easy to assume that your app will run on a fast and reliable network. The reality for your app's users, though, is often a slow, unreliable network with spotty coverage. What happens when the network doesn't work, or when the device is in airplane mode? You get unhappy, frustrated users. An offline-first app is an app that works, without error, when there is no network connection.
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 206
With an estimated 50 billion devices connected to the Internet by 2020, several industries will begin to expand their capabilities for retaining end point data at the edge to better utilize the range of data types and sheer volume of M2M data generated by the Internet of Things. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Don DeLoach, CEO and President of Infobright, will discuss the infrastructures businesses will need to implement to handle this explosion of data by providing specific use cases for filte...
Feb. 10, 2016 11:00 AM EST Reads: 181
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 245
More and more companies are looking to microservices as an architectural pattern for breaking apart applications into more manageable pieces so that agile teams can deliver new features quicker and more effectively. What this pattern has done more than anything to date is spark organizational transformations, setting the foundation for future application development. In practice, however, there are a number of considerations to make that go beyond simply “build, ship, and run,” which changes ho...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 219
SYS-CON Events announced today that AppNeta, the leader in performance insight for business-critical web applications, will exhibit and present at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AppNeta is the only application performance monitoring (APM) company to provide solutions for all applications – applications you develop internally, business-critical SaaS applications you use and the networks that deli...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 389
Fortunately, meaningful and tangible business cases for IoT are plentiful in a broad array of industries and vertical markets. These range from simple warranty cost reduction for capital intensive assets, to minimizing downtime for vital business tools, to creating feedback loops improving product design, to improving and enhancing enterprise customer experiences. All of these business cases, which will be briefly explored in this session, hinge on cost effectively extracting relevant data from ...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:45 AM EST Reads: 101
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies adopt disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevO...
Feb. 10, 2016 10:30 AM EST Reads: 214
As someone who has been dedicated to automation and Application Release Automation (ARA) technology for almost six years now, one of the most common questions I get asked regards Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Specifically, people want to know whether release automation is still needed when a PaaS is in place, and why. Isn't that what a PaaS provides? A solution to the deployment and runtime challenges of an application? Why would anyone using a PaaS then need an automation engine with workflow ...
Feb. 10, 2016 09:30 AM EST Reads: 191