|By Unitiv Blog||
|July 14, 2014 12:45 PM EDT||
Cloud computing has finally come into its own. While we’ve been hearing for 8 years or more that cloud computing would one day take over the enterprise, the fact of the matter is that it’s been slow going.
While the spread of cloud computing solutions hasn’t been as rapid as many early proponents predicted it would be, we are now to a place where cloud solutions are seen as viable for most organizations, and are being utilized regularly.
Accordingly, it’s worth taking a look at the state of today’s cloud computing options and making some guesses about where we’re going from here:
- Prominence. While cloud computing has made significant inroads in recent years, we’re only going to see this intensify. With the growth of major data centers on a global scale providing cloud service, more and more organizations are going to move some or all of their needs to the cloud.
- Cloud vendors will be fewer. Because organizations are looking for cloud vendors that can provide services on a global scale, we’re likely to see a consolidation of the marketplace. Within five years or so, chances are pretty good that the playing field will be narrowed down to four or five major cloud players.
- Data-centric platforms will continue to evolve. Hadoop, streaming, in-memory databases and the like are gaining more and more visibility. They’re delivering services and technologies that will allow organizations and developers to get as much useful data as they can. Three quarters of new cloud applications are likely to be fairly data-intensive.
- The Internet of things. Cisco’s Internet of Everything is perhaps the most visible example of this concept. Cars, trash bins, eyeglasses and even toothbrushes are getting linked. In the next few years, we’re going to see more and more edge devices, most of which will rely on cloud services to take full advantage of their connectivity.
- The Security of the Cloud. As the cloud hits a worldwide audience and implementation, there is a need for more and more examination and combatting of security concerns. Cloud security will continue to be an area of innovation.
Tomorrow’s cloud is coming. Your organization needs to be ready for it.
Sep. 4, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,648
Sep. 4, 2015 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 447
Sep. 4, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 281
Sep. 4, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 502
Sep. 4, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 531
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
Sep. 4, 2015 04:00 PM EDT
Sep. 4, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 145
Sep. 4, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 469
Sep. 4, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 544
Sep. 4, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 979
Sep. 4, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 227
Sep. 4, 2015 02:12 PM EDT
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 233
Sep. 4, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 271