|By ACN Newswire||
|July 15, 2014 11:23 PM EDT||
Wayne Palmer of InfoReady, a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, on what companies need to do to succeed.
LONDON, July 16, 2014 - (ACN Newswire) - "Many companies today have installed best practice, from ITIL and ISO to Lean and Agile. The trouble with that is if every single organisation installs the same best practices, where is the innovation or differentiation?" asks Wayne Palmer, Principle Consultant Lean/Agile Frameworks, InfoReady. Palmer believes there are always better practices that emerge when employees are safe to experiment and test new theories. "Companies need to break free from the fear of failure. They must think for themselves and work out how to learn through the efforts of every employee, rather than just guaranteeing mediocrity. However becoming Lean or Agile is not the goal; they need to focus on resource and value stream efficiency, always improving and adapting in pursuit of their vision," he shares.
InfoReady is a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, in the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 28 - 30 July 2014. Ahead of the Summit, Palmer outlines five principles Chief Information Officers (CIOs) should implement for organisational success.
- Alignment to a vision. To get the most out of knowledge workers, take into account their intrinsic motivators - purpose is key. If people buy into and believe in the vision of the organisation, it will hopefully align with their own personal values. This can act as a true north for people and help global organisations align their efforts because they are all pursuing a common vision. They do not need to start projects, change is adaptive and integral - they know where they are headed and all employees are aware of it. Many companies have a vision, but it must be a true vision embodied by everybody, especially the leaders. If they get this right, everything else falls into place.
- Instilling a culture of continuous improvement. This is vital. Continuous improvement is about conducting a series of small, scientific experiments, ideally designed to speed up the delivery of what customers demand. This is difficult to do as experiments cannot always succeed. There must be a culture of safety where it is safe to fail in. People learn a lot more from failure than continued success. This is tricky to do as many depend on getting their job done right, but being risk averse does not bring about innovation.
- Designing the organisation by value stream rather than resource function. Most organisations have the CIO at the top, with workers broken into different functions below. To be resilient, it is best not to separate people by their skill set, but on the flow of customer demand. If done well, this minimises wasteful steps in the supply chain and takes away the resource function approach. The entire ethos changes. Some companies are all about resource utilisation - employees are getting paid and should be as busy as possible! However, knowledge workers require thinking space and engagement to become fully engaged.
- Growing your people. The notion of annual performance reviews is outdated and broken. They are never about the employee improving skills or mastering new ones, but about the salary. It would be better to create internal learning academies, establish peer reviews and take away the notion of hierarchy. Knowledge workers want to excel in their craft and that must be encouraged. Break down reviews to a daily or weekly basis for encouragement and alignment. Most people get fed up with learning after school, but as a leader it is very rewarding if you rekindle their joy for learning.
- Selecting methods rather than tools. The trouble with installing best practices into an organisation is that everyone is doing it. How do you differ? Rather than aspiring for best practise, continually deliver or develop better practice. Kata, which means routine in Japanese, is about continually improving people and process, executing tiny experiments and testing again. Toyota makes around 1,000 tiny fixes to every process every single day. When you are skilled at this and do it subconsciously, it is fantastic. The Kanban Method pulls different approaches and theories together, never assuming there is one best way of doing things.
About the Australian CIO Summit 2014
The Australian CIO Summit is the premium forum bringing elite buyers and sellers together. As an invitation-only event taking place behind closed doors, the summit offers enterprise and government chief information officers and IT solution providers an intimate environment for a focused discussion of key drivers for IT innovation. This unique forum will take place at the newly-renovated RACV Royal Pines Resort, Gold Coast, Queensland, 28 - 30 July 2014. The Summit features presentations on implementing the right cloud model, crafting simple and powerful mobile solutions, streamlining processes and living up to shifting realities for the IT leader.
For more information please send an email to [email protected] or visit the event website at www.australianciosummit.com/WaynePalmerInterview
marcus evans group - information technology sector portal
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3568575&trk=hb_side_g
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/MarcusEvansIT
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsIT
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansIT
Please note that the Summit is a closed business event and the number of participants strictly limited.
InfoReady is a pure-play Information Management and Business Intelligence Consultancy that specialises in making Organisations Smarter by transforming data into actionable intelligence through our unique application of our expert team, processes and technology. We offer top-tier consulting services in Strategy, Delivery, Solution Design, Architecture, and both industry and technology SME's. Please visit www.infoready.com.au.
About marcus evans Summits
marcus evans Summits are high level business forums for the world's leading decision-makers to meet, learn and discuss strategies and solutions. Held at exclusive locations around the world, these events provide attendees with a unique opportunity to individually tailor their schedules of keynote presentations, think tanks, seminars and one-on-one business meetings. For more information, please visit www.marcusevans.com.
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsGlobal
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/MarcusEvansGroup
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansSummits
Source: marcus evans Summits
Sarin Kouyoumdjian-Gurunlian Press Manager, marcus evans, Summits Division Tel: +357 22 849 313 Email: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
Keeping pace with advancements in software delivery processes and tooling is taxing even for the most proficient organizations. Point tools, platforms, open source and the increasing adoption of private and public cloud services requires strong engineering rigor – all in the face of developer demands to use the tools of choice. As Agile has settled in as a mainstream practice, now DevOps has emerged as the next wave to improve software delivery speed and output. To make DevOps work, organization...
Jul. 30, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,327
Predictive analytics tools monitor, report, and troubleshoot in order to make proactive decisions about the health, performance, and utilization of storage. Most enterprises combine cloud and on-premise storage, resulting in blended environments of physical, virtual, cloud, and other platforms, which justifies more sophisticated storage analytics. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Peter McCallum, Vice President of Datacenter Solutions at FalconStor, discussed using predictive analytics to mon...
Jul. 30, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,128
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,067
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,285
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 29, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,496
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 29, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,747
We all know the latest numbers: Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 6.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2016, up 30 percent from last year, and will reach 20.8 billion by 2020. We're rapidly approaching a data production of 40 zettabytes a day – more than we can every physically store, and exabytes and yottabytes are just around the corner. For many that’s a good sign, as data has been proven to equal money – IF it’s ingested, integrated, and analyzed fast enough. Without real-ti...
Jul. 29, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,180
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Jul. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 958
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 29, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 932
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 393
Cloud analytics is dramatically altering business intelligence. Some businesses will capitalize on these promising new technologies and gain key insights that’ll help them gain competitive advantage. And others won’t. Whether you’re a business leader, an IT manager, or an analyst, we want to help you and the people you need to influence with a free copy of “Cloud Analytics for Dummies,” the essential guide to this explosive new space for business intelligence.
Jul. 29, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 988
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,251
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,086
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 473
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 29, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 430