|By ACN Newswire||
|July 15, 2014 11:23 PM EDT||
Wayne Palmer of InfoReady, a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, on what companies need to do to succeed.
LONDON, July 16, 2014 - (ACN Newswire) - "Many companies today have installed best practice, from ITIL and ISO to Lean and Agile. The trouble with that is if every single organisation installs the same best practices, where is the innovation or differentiation?" asks Wayne Palmer, Principle Consultant Lean/Agile Frameworks, InfoReady. Palmer believes there are always better practices that emerge when employees are safe to experiment and test new theories. "Companies need to break free from the fear of failure. They must think for themselves and work out how to learn through the efforts of every employee, rather than just guaranteeing mediocrity. However becoming Lean or Agile is not the goal; they need to focus on resource and value stream efficiency, always improving and adapting in pursuit of their vision," he shares.
InfoReady is a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, in the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 28 - 30 July 2014. Ahead of the Summit, Palmer outlines five principles Chief Information Officers (CIOs) should implement for organisational success.
- Alignment to a vision. To get the most out of knowledge workers, take into account their intrinsic motivators - purpose is key. If people buy into and believe in the vision of the organisation, it will hopefully align with their own personal values. This can act as a true north for people and help global organisations align their efforts because they are all pursuing a common vision. They do not need to start projects, change is adaptive and integral - they know where they are headed and all employees are aware of it. Many companies have a vision, but it must be a true vision embodied by everybody, especially the leaders. If they get this right, everything else falls into place.
- Instilling a culture of continuous improvement. This is vital. Continuous improvement is about conducting a series of small, scientific experiments, ideally designed to speed up the delivery of what customers demand. This is difficult to do as experiments cannot always succeed. There must be a culture of safety where it is safe to fail in. People learn a lot more from failure than continued success. This is tricky to do as many depend on getting their job done right, but being risk averse does not bring about innovation.
- Designing the organisation by value stream rather than resource function. Most organisations have the CIO at the top, with workers broken into different functions below. To be resilient, it is best not to separate people by their skill set, but on the flow of customer demand. If done well, this minimises wasteful steps in the supply chain and takes away the resource function approach. The entire ethos changes. Some companies are all about resource utilisation - employees are getting paid and should be as busy as possible! However, knowledge workers require thinking space and engagement to become fully engaged.
- Growing your people. The notion of annual performance reviews is outdated and broken. They are never about the employee improving skills or mastering new ones, but about the salary. It would be better to create internal learning academies, establish peer reviews and take away the notion of hierarchy. Knowledge workers want to excel in their craft and that must be encouraged. Break down reviews to a daily or weekly basis for encouragement and alignment. Most people get fed up with learning after school, but as a leader it is very rewarding if you rekindle their joy for learning.
- Selecting methods rather than tools. The trouble with installing best practices into an organisation is that everyone is doing it. How do you differ? Rather than aspiring for best practise, continually deliver or develop better practice. Kata, which means routine in Japanese, is about continually improving people and process, executing tiny experiments and testing again. Toyota makes around 1,000 tiny fixes to every process every single day. When you are skilled at this and do it subconsciously, it is fantastic. The Kanban Method pulls different approaches and theories together, never assuming there is one best way of doing things.
About the Australian CIO Summit 2014
The Australian CIO Summit is the premium forum bringing elite buyers and sellers together. As an invitation-only event taking place behind closed doors, the summit offers enterprise and government chief information officers and IT solution providers an intimate environment for a focused discussion of key drivers for IT innovation. This unique forum will take place at the newly-renovated RACV Royal Pines Resort, Gold Coast, Queensland, 28 - 30 July 2014. The Summit features presentations on implementing the right cloud model, crafting simple and powerful mobile solutions, streamlining processes and living up to shifting realities for the IT leader.
For more information please send an email to [email protected] or visit the event website at www.australianciosummit.com/WaynePalmerInterview
marcus evans group - information technology sector portal
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3568575&trk=hb_side_g
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/MarcusEvansIT
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsIT
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansIT
Please note that the Summit is a closed business event and the number of participants strictly limited.
InfoReady is a pure-play Information Management and Business Intelligence Consultancy that specialises in making Organisations Smarter by transforming data into actionable intelligence through our unique application of our expert team, processes and technology. We offer top-tier consulting services in Strategy, Delivery, Solution Design, Architecture, and both industry and technology SME's. Please visit www.infoready.com.au.
About marcus evans Summits
marcus evans Summits are high level business forums for the world's leading decision-makers to meet, learn and discuss strategies and solutions. Held at exclusive locations around the world, these events provide attendees with a unique opportunity to individually tailor their schedules of keynote presentations, think tanks, seminars and one-on-one business meetings. For more information, please visit www.marcusevans.com.
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsGlobal
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/MarcusEvansGroup
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansSummits
Source: marcus evans Summits
Sarin Kouyoumdjian-Gurunlian Press Manager, marcus evans, Summits Division Tel: +357 22 849 313 Email: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,689
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 25, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,463
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 25, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 908
DevOps at Cloud Expo – being held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – announces that its Call for Papers is open. Born out of proven success in agile development, cloud computing, and process automation, DevOps is a macro trend you cannot afford to miss. From showcase success stories from early adopters and web-scale businesses, DevOps is expanding to organizations of all sizes, including the world's largest enterprises – and delivering real results. Am...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,397
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,583
I'm a lonely sensor. I spend all day telling the world how I'm feeling, but none of the other sensors seem to care. I want to be connected. I want to build relationships with other sensors to be more useful for my human. I want my human to understand that when my friends next door are too hot for a while, I'll soon be flaming. And when all my friends go outside without me, I may be left behind. Don't just log my data; use the relationship graph. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Boyd, Engi...
Sep. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,235
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 25, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,809
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 25, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,551
SYS-CON Events announced today that Secure Channels will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The bedrock of Secure Channels Technology is a uniquely modified and enhanced process based on superencipherment. Superencipherment is the process of encrypting an already encrypted message one or more times, either using the same or a different algorithm.
Sep. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,529
Traditional on-premises data centers have long been the domain of modern data platforms like Apache Hadoop, meaning companies who build their business on public cloud were challenged to run Big Data processing and analytics at scale. But recent advancements in Hadoop performance, security, and most importantly cloud-native integrations, are giving organizations the ability to truly gain value from all their data. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, David Tishgart, Director of Product Marketing ...
Sep. 25, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,758
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,582
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,524
SYS-CON Events announced today the Kubernetes and Google Container Engine Workshop, being held November 3, 2016, in conjunction with @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. This workshop led by Sebastian Scheele introduces participants to Kubernetes and Google Container Engine (GKE). Through a combination of instructor-led presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on labs, students learn the key concepts and practices for deploying and maintainin...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,611
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,522
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 838