|By ACN Newswire||
|July 15, 2014 11:23 PM EDT||
Wayne Palmer of InfoReady, a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, on what companies need to do to succeed.
LONDON, July 16, 2014 - (ACN Newswire) - "Many companies today have installed best practice, from ITIL and ISO to Lean and Agile. The trouble with that is if every single organisation installs the same best practices, where is the innovation or differentiation?" asks Wayne Palmer, Principle Consultant Lean/Agile Frameworks, InfoReady. Palmer believes there are always better practices that emerge when employees are safe to experiment and test new theories. "Companies need to break free from the fear of failure. They must think for themselves and work out how to learn through the efforts of every employee, rather than just guaranteeing mediocrity. However becoming Lean or Agile is not the goal; they need to focus on resource and value stream efficiency, always improving and adapting in pursuit of their vision," he shares.
InfoReady is a sponsor company at the marcus evans 13th Annual Australian CIO Summit, in the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 28 - 30 July 2014. Ahead of the Summit, Palmer outlines five principles Chief Information Officers (CIOs) should implement for organisational success.
- Alignment to a vision. To get the most out of knowledge workers, take into account their intrinsic motivators - purpose is key. If people buy into and believe in the vision of the organisation, it will hopefully align with their own personal values. This can act as a true north for people and help global organisations align their efforts because they are all pursuing a common vision. They do not need to start projects, change is adaptive and integral - they know where they are headed and all employees are aware of it. Many companies have a vision, but it must be a true vision embodied by everybody, especially the leaders. If they get this right, everything else falls into place.
- Instilling a culture of continuous improvement. This is vital. Continuous improvement is about conducting a series of small, scientific experiments, ideally designed to speed up the delivery of what customers demand. This is difficult to do as experiments cannot always succeed. There must be a culture of safety where it is safe to fail in. People learn a lot more from failure than continued success. This is tricky to do as many depend on getting their job done right, but being risk averse does not bring about innovation.
- Designing the organisation by value stream rather than resource function. Most organisations have the CIO at the top, with workers broken into different functions below. To be resilient, it is best not to separate people by their skill set, but on the flow of customer demand. If done well, this minimises wasteful steps in the supply chain and takes away the resource function approach. The entire ethos changes. Some companies are all about resource utilisation - employees are getting paid and should be as busy as possible! However, knowledge workers require thinking space and engagement to become fully engaged.
- Growing your people. The notion of annual performance reviews is outdated and broken. They are never about the employee improving skills or mastering new ones, but about the salary. It would be better to create internal learning academies, establish peer reviews and take away the notion of hierarchy. Knowledge workers want to excel in their craft and that must be encouraged. Break down reviews to a daily or weekly basis for encouragement and alignment. Most people get fed up with learning after school, but as a leader it is very rewarding if you rekindle their joy for learning.
- Selecting methods rather than tools. The trouble with installing best practices into an organisation is that everyone is doing it. How do you differ? Rather than aspiring for best practise, continually deliver or develop better practice. Kata, which means routine in Japanese, is about continually improving people and process, executing tiny experiments and testing again. Toyota makes around 1,000 tiny fixes to every process every single day. When you are skilled at this and do it subconsciously, it is fantastic. The Kanban Method pulls different approaches and theories together, never assuming there is one best way of doing things.
About the Australian CIO Summit 2014
The Australian CIO Summit is the premium forum bringing elite buyers and sellers together. As an invitation-only event taking place behind closed doors, the summit offers enterprise and government chief information officers and IT solution providers an intimate environment for a focused discussion of key drivers for IT innovation. This unique forum will take place at the newly-renovated RACV Royal Pines Resort, Gold Coast, Queensland, 28 - 30 July 2014. The Summit features presentations on implementing the right cloud model, crafting simple and powerful mobile solutions, streamlining processes and living up to shifting realities for the IT leader.
For more information please send an email to [email protected] or visit the event website at www.australianciosummit.com/WaynePalmerInterview
marcus evans group - information technology sector portal
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3568575&trk=hb_side_g
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/MarcusEvansIT
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsIT
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansIT
Please note that the Summit is a closed business event and the number of participants strictly limited.
InfoReady is a pure-play Information Management and Business Intelligence Consultancy that specialises in making Organisations Smarter by transforming data into actionable intelligence through our unique application of our expert team, processes and technology. We offer top-tier consulting services in Strategy, Delivery, Solution Design, Architecture, and both industry and technology SME's. Please visit www.infoready.com.au.
About marcus evans Summits
marcus evans Summits are high level business forums for the world's leading decision-makers to meet, learn and discuss strategies and solutions. Held at exclusive locations around the world, these events provide attendees with a unique opportunity to individually tailor their schedules of keynote presentations, think tanks, seminars and one-on-one business meetings. For more information, please visit www.marcusevans.com.
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/meSummitsGlobal
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/MarcusEvansGroup
- SlideShare: www.slideshare.net/MarcusEvansSummits
Source: marcus evans Summits
Sarin Kouyoumdjian-Gurunlian Press Manager, marcus evans, Summits Division Tel: +357 22 849 313 Email: [email protected]
Copyright 2014 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,595
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,225
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,210
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,085
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,171
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,514
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,301
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 798
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,441
Many banks and financial institutions are experimenting with containers in development environments, but when will they move into production? Containers are seen as the key to achieving the ultimate in information technology flexibility and agility. Containers work on both public and private clouds, and make it easy to build and deploy applications. The challenge for regulated industries is the cost and complexity of container security compliance. VM security compliance is already challenging, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,273
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,249
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,924
Enterprise networks are complex. Moreover, they were designed and deployed to meet a specific set of business requirements at a specific point in time. But, the adoption of cloud services, new business applications and intensifying security policies, among other factors, require IT organizations to continuously deploy configuration changes. Therefore, enterprises are looking for better ways to automate the management of their networks while still leveraging existing capabilities, optimizing perf...
May. 28, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,322
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 28, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,013
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,426