|By Wil Sinclair||
|July 22, 2014 11:24 PM EDT||
In response to my last post, Captain Obvious came swooping in to point out what had been hiding in plain sight. While I was focussing on the potential dangers of predators lurking in the darkest shadows of the Wikipedia community, I failed to see the very real danger right in front of me: Wikipedia itself.
Could all the free, multilingual, educational content Wikipedia provides, paired with underdeveloped judgement, put children at risk? As a former bored, judgement-impaired, pubescent boy, I knew exactly what how to find out. I searched on “Sniffing glue“. And here’s what I found:
WTF? There is absolutely nothing OK about this picture. These are children. I understand that there is a problem with children huffing on the streets in certain parts of the world. It needs to be acknowledged and addressed. But I will thank you as a father for not spreading that problem around by showing smiling, relaxed, seemingly “mature” kids sticking faces in a bag and casually flipping off the photographer. If this article on such a dangerous act was incomplete without a visual aid, couldn’t you at least have looked for a picture of an adult to kick things off? Maybe a picture that reflects the incredibly destructive aspect of huffing would be more appropriate. And, while we’re at it, we should probably dig up something that doesn’t make huffing look cool to kids. Maybe this?
What follows amounts to a manual on huffing all kinds of extremely dangerous gases. If my son looked this up, he wouldn’t just figure out the best technique to sniff glue, he’s also be turned on to:
- Alkyl Nitrites
- Nitrous Oxide
- Diethyl Ether
- Methylene Chloride
- Carbon Tetrachloride
After going over this smorgasbord of inhalants, the article covers a few pro-tips for abusing them:
Inhalant users inhale vapors or aerosol propellant gases using plastic bags held over the mouth or by breathing from an open container of solvents, such as gasoline or paint thinner. Nitrous oxide gases from whipped cream aerosol cans, aerosol hairspray or non-stick frying spray are sprayed into plastic bags. When inhaling non-stick cooking spray or other aerosol products, some users may filter the aerosolized particles out with a rag. Some gases, such as propane and butane gases, are inhaled directly from the canister. Once these solvents or gases are inhaled, the extensive capillary surface of the lungs rapidly absorb the solvent or gas, and blood levels peak rapidly. The intoxication effects occur so quickly that the effects of inhalation can resemble the intensity of effects produced by intravenous injection of other psychoactive drugs.
The article wraps up its description of the whole experience by mentioning that all of these substances are at best dangerous and at worst fatal. Cross your fingers that your child look below the fold before they stick their face in a bag.
Safety concerns aside, it’s a pretty good article. For a responsible parent, it might provide some desperately needed answers to the problems created by a child’s abuse of inhalants. For an irresponsible child, it could create the problems themselves.
There’s only one thing we can be sure about. Whatever happens, Wikipedians won’t be taking responsibility for it.
I think it’s time we did.
Filed under: Child Protection, Wikimedia, Wikipedia Tagged: Wikimedia, Wikipedia
Jan. 19, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,035
Jan. 19, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 4,763
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,655
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 5,148
Jan. 19, 2017 01:15 PM EST Reads: 3,516
Jan. 19, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,733
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 6,353
Jan. 19, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 2,531
Jan. 19, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,184
Jan. 19, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,993
Jan. 19, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 4,297
Jan. 19, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,888
Jan. 19, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,699
Jan. 19, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 4,341
Jan. 19, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 3,926