|By Marketwired .||
|July 28, 2014 09:49 AM EDT||
FREDERICTON, NEW BRUNSWICK -- (Marketwired) -- 07/28/14 -- Industry Canada
The Honourable Ed Holder, Minister of State (Science and Technology), today highlighted the funding that scientists, engineers and students at the University of New Brunswick received through the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC).
Nearly $2.4 million will go to benefit 28 researchers and trainees at the University of New Brunswick, including Dr. Richard B. Langley, who is receiving $170,000 to improve the positioning precision and accuracy of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and of the next generation of European, Japanese and other global navigation satellite systems.
He and his team will also use the funding to analyze data from their GPS instrument on the Canadian CASSIOPE research satellite, which is studying Earth's ionosphere. Those studies will help scientists better understand space weather and its effects on infrastructure here on the ground and in space.
- On June 26, 2014, Minister of State Holder announced a significant federal investment to support scientists, engineers, post-doctoral fellows and students at universities in Canada as they drive innovation, and ultimately economic prosperity, across the country. Of the total investment, $4.2 million will support researchers at universities in the province of New Brunswick.
- The awards highlighted today at the University of New Brunswick are part of the 2014 competition results for the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada's Discovery Grants, Discovery Accelerator Supplements, Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarships, Postgraduate Scholarships and Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- The NSERC Discovery Grants Program is an integral component of the government's efforts to develop, attract and retain the world's most talented researchers at Canadian universities. The program funds discovery research in a multitude of scientific and engineering disciplines, which builds a broad base of research capacity across the country.
"By supporting over 3,500 researchers and students in Canada, our government is strengthening Canada's leadership in discovery research around the world. In so doing, we are developing, attracting and retaining the world's most talented researchers who carry out the scientific research that creates jobs and prosperity and improves the quality of life of Canadians."
- The Honourable Ed Holder, Minister of State (Science and Technology)
"The NSERC Discovery Grants Program is one of Canada's largest sources of funding for basic research. Our government's investment in the University of New Brunswick leads to new discoveries that will help drive innovation, job creation and prosperity right here in Fredericton."
- The Honourable Keith Ashfield, Member of Parliament for Fredericton
"Our support for researchers and students through Discovery Grants and scholarships is laying the foundation for Canada's future prosperity and continued quality of life. The highly competitive funding for discovery research raises the bar for science and engineering excellence in Canada and unleashes the creative potential of our researchers. Building on this dynamic research environment, NSERC's scholarships and fellowships are attracting and cultivating new talent with the skills necessary for the growth of our knowledge-based economy."
- Janet Walden, Chief Operating Officer, NSERC
"UNB was recently named Canada's most entrepreneurial university by Startup Canada. Programs such as NSERC Discovery Grants provide funding for the basic research that allows many of our research initiatives to develop into entrepreneurial opportunities for Canadians."
- Dr. David Burns, Vice-President Research, University of New Brunswick
- World of Discoveries page on NSERC site
Follow us on Twitter: @industrycanada
Director of Communications and Parliamentary Affairs
Office of the Minister of State (Science and Technology)
Media and Public Affairs Officer
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool for visual control over the...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,849
Jul. 5, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,402
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner. 20,000+ business custome...
Jul. 5, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,894
Jul. 5, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
Jul. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,280
Jul. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,384
Jul. 5, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,808
Jul. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,479
Jul. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,914
Jul. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,448
Jul. 5, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,188
Jul. 5, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,545
Jul. 5, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,412
Jul. 5, 2015 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,530
Jul. 5, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,327