|By Marketwired .||
|July 29, 2014 07:12 AM EDT||
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwired) -- 07/29/14 -- After a winter that made the record books for all the wrong reasons, Chicago gears up for the month that makes it all worthwhile -- August. August is glorious in Chicago. Blue skies, sunny days and warm temperatures lure hundreds of thousands of visitors and natives alike. Today ChicagoTraveler.com, a local tourism site, announced its list of 10 Things to Do in Chicago in August. Grab your shades, your sense of adventure and get out there. Summer in Chicago awaits!
1. Lollapalooza - Thousands of music fans pack Grant Park for this three day music extravaganza. Lollapalooza bills itself as a cultural experience that takes place on 115 acres by the Chicago lakefront. The food, fun and music are non-stop. This year's headliners include Eminem, Outkast and Kings of Leon. Aug 1-3
2. Wrigleyville SummerFest - Enjoy a weekend of music, food and fun in one of the Chicago's best-known neighborhoods. A quintessential Chicago street festival on the north side, Wrigleyville SummerFest offers plenty of activities for kids in the Kids' Zone as well as popular bands and entertainment for adults. Aug 2-3
3. The Chicago Air and Water Show - The highlight of the summer for many Chicagoans and visitors alike. The spectacular Air and Water Show is immensely popular. This free event takes place along the lakefront with the best viewing at North Avenue Beach. The U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the U.S. Army Parachute Golden Knights are headlining this year's show. Over 2 million spectators pack the beaches so plan accordingly. Aug 16-17
4. Chicago River Tours - There is no better time than August to get out on the Chicago River and learn a little bit about the beautiful Windy City. Anita Dee Yacht Charters provides travelers with excellent guides, unbeatable sights, and interesting information. The views aren't the only thing that are unbeatable...the prices are too! One hour architectural tour goes for $17, and one hour fireworks cruise goes for $23. Enjoy the day in style!
5. The Chicago Jazz Festival - The city's music scene shines in this four day festival held in Millennium Park. No city does Jazz better than Chicago. This free event showcases unparalleled variety and creativity by some of the best jazz talent in the world. Aug 28-31
6. Street Festivals -
Taste of Polonia:
Celebrate Labor Day Weekend with this four day festival. There is something for everyone, and the music never stops. Thirty-five bands, vendors, climbing wall, bounce houses, indoor Casino and Bingo, and the best of Polish food and beer keep adults and kids happy. Everyone is Polish at Taste of Polonia. Aug 29-Sept 1 Adults $7, Kids under 12 free
Art Dans La Rue:
Get the beauty of Europe here in the streets of Chicago! Art Dans La Rue offers art, food, wine, music and dancing and everything else European. Activities include French lessons, wine tastings, gelato, a poodle parade, and other incredible events. Festival takes place on Marion Street, between Lake and North Blvd. from 12 - 9pm.
7. Tall Ship Windy - One of the best ways to view Chicago is from the water. The 148 ft. Tall Ship Windy is modeled after historical topsail schooners. This 4-masted majestic ship offers a variety of daily sailing tours including educational, architectural and even pirate adventures. There is nothing more fun for both kids and parents than a Tall Ship Windy adventure. Learn the mysteries of the Great Lakes on the Spirit Ships and Haunted Harbors sail, or experience the stories of real pirates on the Real Pirates of the Inland Sea tour -- you can't go wrong!
8. Tastebud Food Tours - Chicago is known for its food, and this walking tour takes you to five or six locations for a tasting of the best in Chicago eats. Guides lead you through the city streets highlighting architecture, interesting facts and of course, the food. The deep dish pizza and Chicago style hot dog are must bites. Come hungry and don't ask for ketchup!
9. Summer Concerts in August - Chicago is featuring some of the best names in music with a wide variety of concerts in August. Tori Amos, Katy Perry, Echo & the Bunnymen, Miley Cyrus, Cage the Elephant, Motley Crue, Jason Aldean, Goo Goo Dolls and Daughtry are just some of the headliners set to appear throughout the month. Find more concerts and Chicago concert tickets here.
10. Navy Pier Fireworks - No visit to Chicago is complete without a day spent at Navy Pier. The historic pier extends almost a mile out into Lake Michigan. With theaters, shops, restaurants, museums, shows and the massive Ferris Wheel, there is always something happening at the Pier. But far and away, the most popular event is the Navy Pier Fireworks. The free fireworks show happens every Wednesday and Saturday night through the end of August. Whether you watch them from the lakefront or from the water, the fireworks are a perfect ending to a magical summer night.
Whatever your tastes in food, music or adventure, Chicago has an August option for you. The best month, in one of the world's premier cities, is waiting for you. Chicago in August is not to be missed!
Chicago is one of the top vacation destinations in America famous for its unique character, annual events, popular foods, and architecture top sports teams. ChicagoTraveler.com guides travelers to all the best things to do, top places to eat and deals on the best places to stay in Chicago.
800 450 7805 ext 10809
Dec. 8, 2016 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,233
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 1,666
Dec. 8, 2016 09:15 PM EST Reads: 950
Dec. 8, 2016 08:30 PM EST Reads: 1,884
Dec. 8, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 315
Dec. 8, 2016 07:15 PM EST Reads: 376
Dec. 8, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 951
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 1,720
Dec. 8, 2016 05:45 PM EST Reads: 948
Dec. 8, 2016 05:00 PM EST Reads: 1,819
Dec. 8, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,846
Dec. 8, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 2,251
Dec. 8, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 1,973
Dec. 8, 2016 04:30 PM EST Reads: 390
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 8, 2016 04:15 PM EST Reads: 2,315