|By Marketwired .||
|July 29, 2014 07:12 AM EDT||
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwired) -- 07/29/14 -- After a winter that made the record books for all the wrong reasons, Chicago gears up for the month that makes it all worthwhile -- August. August is glorious in Chicago. Blue skies, sunny days and warm temperatures lure hundreds of thousands of visitors and natives alike. Today ChicagoTraveler.com, a local tourism site, announced its list of 10 Things to Do in Chicago in August. Grab your shades, your sense of adventure and get out there. Summer in Chicago awaits!
1. Lollapalooza - Thousands of music fans pack Grant Park for this three day music extravaganza. Lollapalooza bills itself as a cultural experience that takes place on 115 acres by the Chicago lakefront. The food, fun and music are non-stop. This year's headliners include Eminem, Outkast and Kings of Leon. Aug 1-3
2. Wrigleyville SummerFest - Enjoy a weekend of music, food and fun in one of the Chicago's best-known neighborhoods. A quintessential Chicago street festival on the north side, Wrigleyville SummerFest offers plenty of activities for kids in the Kids' Zone as well as popular bands and entertainment for adults. Aug 2-3
3. The Chicago Air and Water Show - The highlight of the summer for many Chicagoans and visitors alike. The spectacular Air and Water Show is immensely popular. This free event takes place along the lakefront with the best viewing at North Avenue Beach. The U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the U.S. Army Parachute Golden Knights are headlining this year's show. Over 2 million spectators pack the beaches so plan accordingly. Aug 16-17
4. Chicago River Tours - There is no better time than August to get out on the Chicago River and learn a little bit about the beautiful Windy City. Anita Dee Yacht Charters provides travelers with excellent guides, unbeatable sights, and interesting information. The views aren't the only thing that are unbeatable...the prices are too! One hour architectural tour goes for $17, and one hour fireworks cruise goes for $23. Enjoy the day in style!
5. The Chicago Jazz Festival - The city's music scene shines in this four day festival held in Millennium Park. No city does Jazz better than Chicago. This free event showcases unparalleled variety and creativity by some of the best jazz talent in the world. Aug 28-31
6. Street Festivals -
Taste of Polonia:
Celebrate Labor Day Weekend with this four day festival. There is something for everyone, and the music never stops. Thirty-five bands, vendors, climbing wall, bounce houses, indoor Casino and Bingo, and the best of Polish food and beer keep adults and kids happy. Everyone is Polish at Taste of Polonia. Aug 29-Sept 1 Adults $7, Kids under 12 free
Art Dans La Rue:
Get the beauty of Europe here in the streets of Chicago! Art Dans La Rue offers art, food, wine, music and dancing and everything else European. Activities include French lessons, wine tastings, gelato, a poodle parade, and other incredible events. Festival takes place on Marion Street, between Lake and North Blvd. from 12 - 9pm.
7. Tall Ship Windy - One of the best ways to view Chicago is from the water. The 148 ft. Tall Ship Windy is modeled after historical topsail schooners. This 4-masted majestic ship offers a variety of daily sailing tours including educational, architectural and even pirate adventures. There is nothing more fun for both kids and parents than a Tall Ship Windy adventure. Learn the mysteries of the Great Lakes on the Spirit Ships and Haunted Harbors sail, or experience the stories of real pirates on the Real Pirates of the Inland Sea tour -- you can't go wrong!
8. Tastebud Food Tours - Chicago is known for its food, and this walking tour takes you to five or six locations for a tasting of the best in Chicago eats. Guides lead you through the city streets highlighting architecture, interesting facts and of course, the food. The deep dish pizza and Chicago style hot dog are must bites. Come hungry and don't ask for ketchup!
9. Summer Concerts in August - Chicago is featuring some of the best names in music with a wide variety of concerts in August. Tori Amos, Katy Perry, Echo & the Bunnymen, Miley Cyrus, Cage the Elephant, Motley Crue, Jason Aldean, Goo Goo Dolls and Daughtry are just some of the headliners set to appear throughout the month. Find more concerts and Chicago concert tickets here.
10. Navy Pier Fireworks - No visit to Chicago is complete without a day spent at Navy Pier. The historic pier extends almost a mile out into Lake Michigan. With theaters, shops, restaurants, museums, shows and the massive Ferris Wheel, there is always something happening at the Pier. But far and away, the most popular event is the Navy Pier Fireworks. The free fireworks show happens every Wednesday and Saturday night through the end of August. Whether you watch them from the lakefront or from the water, the fireworks are a perfect ending to a magical summer night.
Whatever your tastes in food, music or adventure, Chicago has an August option for you. The best month, in one of the world's premier cities, is waiting for you. Chicago in August is not to be missed!
Chicago is one of the top vacation destinations in America famous for its unique character, annual events, popular foods, and architecture top sports teams. ChicagoTraveler.com guides travelers to all the best things to do, top places to eat and deals on the best places to stay in Chicago.
800 450 7805 ext 10809
SYS-CON Events announced today that Isomorphic Software will exhibit at DevOps Summit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Isomorphic Software provides the SmartClient HTML5/AJAX platform, the most advanced technology for building rich, cutting-edge enterprise web applications for desktop and mobile. SmartClient combines the productivity and performance of traditional desktop software with the simp...
Aug. 29, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,394
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,817
Extreme Computing is the ability to leverage highly performant infrastructure and software to accelerate Big Data, machine learning, HPC, and Enterprise applications. High IOPS Storage, low-latency networks, in-memory databases, GPUs and other parallel accelerators are being used to achieve faster results and help businesses make better decisions. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at NVIDIA, focused on some of the unique ways extreme computing is...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,198
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,174
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 29, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,008
With over 720 million Internet users and 40–50% CAGR, the Chinese Cloud Computing market has been booming. When talking about cloud computing, what are the Chinese users of cloud thinking about? What is the most powerful force that can push them to make the buying decision? How to tap into them? In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Yu Hao, CEO and co-founder of SpeedyCloud, answered these questions and discussed the results of SpeedyCloud’s survey.
Aug. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,222
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,889
Actian Corporation has announced the latest version of the Actian Vector in Hadoop (VectorH) database, generally available at the end of July. VectorH is based on the same query engine that powers Actian Vector, which recently doubled the TPC-H benchmark record for non-clustered systems at the 3000GB scale factor (see tpc.org/3323). The ability to easily ingest information from different data sources and rapidly develop queries to make better business decisions is becoming increasingly importan...
Aug. 28, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,150
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,060
Qosmos has announced new milestones in the detection of encrypted traffic and in protocol signature coverage. Qosmos latest software can accurately classify traffic encrypted with SSL/TLS (e.g., Google, Facebook, WhatsApp), P2P traffic (e.g., BitTorrent, MuTorrent, Vuze), and Skype, while preserving the privacy of communication content. These new classification techniques mean that traffic optimization, policy enforcement, and user experience are largely unaffected by encryption. In respect wit...
Aug. 28, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,845
Deploying applications in hybrid cloud environments is hard work. Your team spends most of the time maintaining your infrastructure, configuring dev/test and production environments, and deploying applications across environments – which can be both time consuming and error prone. But what if you could automate provisioning and deployment to deliver error free environments faster? What could you do with your free time?
Aug. 28, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,957
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Aug. 28, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 714
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 28, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,635
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 28, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,948
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Aug. 28, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 791