|By Marketwired .||
|July 29, 2014 07:12 AM EDT||
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwired) -- 07/29/14 -- After a winter that made the record books for all the wrong reasons, Chicago gears up for the month that makes it all worthwhile -- August. August is glorious in Chicago. Blue skies, sunny days and warm temperatures lure hundreds of thousands of visitors and natives alike. Today ChicagoTraveler.com, a local tourism site, announced its list of 10 Things to Do in Chicago in August. Grab your shades, your sense of adventure and get out there. Summer in Chicago awaits!
1. Lollapalooza - Thousands of music fans pack Grant Park for this three day music extravaganza. Lollapalooza bills itself as a cultural experience that takes place on 115 acres by the Chicago lakefront. The food, fun and music are non-stop. This year's headliners include Eminem, Outkast and Kings of Leon. Aug 1-3
2. Wrigleyville SummerFest - Enjoy a weekend of music, food and fun in one of the Chicago's best-known neighborhoods. A quintessential Chicago street festival on the north side, Wrigleyville SummerFest offers plenty of activities for kids in the Kids' Zone as well as popular bands and entertainment for adults. Aug 2-3
3. The Chicago Air and Water Show - The highlight of the summer for many Chicagoans and visitors alike. The spectacular Air and Water Show is immensely popular. This free event takes place along the lakefront with the best viewing at North Avenue Beach. The U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the U.S. Army Parachute Golden Knights are headlining this year's show. Over 2 million spectators pack the beaches so plan accordingly. Aug 16-17
4. Chicago River Tours - There is no better time than August to get out on the Chicago River and learn a little bit about the beautiful Windy City. Anita Dee Yacht Charters provides travelers with excellent guides, unbeatable sights, and interesting information. The views aren't the only thing that are unbeatable...the prices are too! One hour architectural tour goes for $17, and one hour fireworks cruise goes for $23. Enjoy the day in style!
5. The Chicago Jazz Festival - The city's music scene shines in this four day festival held in Millennium Park. No city does Jazz better than Chicago. This free event showcases unparalleled variety and creativity by some of the best jazz talent in the world. Aug 28-31
6. Street Festivals -
Taste of Polonia:
Celebrate Labor Day Weekend with this four day festival. There is something for everyone, and the music never stops. Thirty-five bands, vendors, climbing wall, bounce houses, indoor Casino and Bingo, and the best of Polish food and beer keep adults and kids happy. Everyone is Polish at Taste of Polonia. Aug 29-Sept 1 Adults $7, Kids under 12 free
Art Dans La Rue:
Get the beauty of Europe here in the streets of Chicago! Art Dans La Rue offers art, food, wine, music and dancing and everything else European. Activities include French lessons, wine tastings, gelato, a poodle parade, and other incredible events. Festival takes place on Marion Street, between Lake and North Blvd. from 12 - 9pm.
7. Tall Ship Windy - One of the best ways to view Chicago is from the water. The 148 ft. Tall Ship Windy is modeled after historical topsail schooners. This 4-masted majestic ship offers a variety of daily sailing tours including educational, architectural and even pirate adventures. There is nothing more fun for both kids and parents than a Tall Ship Windy adventure. Learn the mysteries of the Great Lakes on the Spirit Ships and Haunted Harbors sail, or experience the stories of real pirates on the Real Pirates of the Inland Sea tour -- you can't go wrong!
8. Tastebud Food Tours - Chicago is known for its food, and this walking tour takes you to five or six locations for a tasting of the best in Chicago eats. Guides lead you through the city streets highlighting architecture, interesting facts and of course, the food. The deep dish pizza and Chicago style hot dog are must bites. Come hungry and don't ask for ketchup!
9. Summer Concerts in August - Chicago is featuring some of the best names in music with a wide variety of concerts in August. Tori Amos, Katy Perry, Echo & the Bunnymen, Miley Cyrus, Cage the Elephant, Motley Crue, Jason Aldean, Goo Goo Dolls and Daughtry are just some of the headliners set to appear throughout the month. Find more concerts and Chicago concert tickets here.
10. Navy Pier Fireworks - No visit to Chicago is complete without a day spent at Navy Pier. The historic pier extends almost a mile out into Lake Michigan. With theaters, shops, restaurants, museums, shows and the massive Ferris Wheel, there is always something happening at the Pier. But far and away, the most popular event is the Navy Pier Fireworks. The free fireworks show happens every Wednesday and Saturday night through the end of August. Whether you watch them from the lakefront or from the water, the fireworks are a perfect ending to a magical summer night.
Whatever your tastes in food, music or adventure, Chicago has an August option for you. The best month, in one of the world's premier cities, is waiting for you. Chicago in August is not to be missed!
Chicago is one of the top vacation destinations in America famous for its unique character, annual events, popular foods, and architecture top sports teams. ChicagoTraveler.com guides travelers to all the best things to do, top places to eat and deals on the best places to stay in Chicago.
800 450 7805 ext 10809
As organizations shift towards IT-as-a-service models, the need for managing & protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and now cloud environments grows with it. CommVault can ensure protection & E-Discovery of your data - whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud, or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enterprise.
Nov. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 230
Today air travel is a minefield of delays, hassles and customer disappointment. Airlines struggle to revitalize the experience. GE and M2Mi will demonstrate practical examples of how IoT solutions are helping airlines bring back personalization, reduce trip time and improve reliability. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Dr. Sarah Cooper, M2Mi’s VP Business Development and Engineering, explored the IoT cloud-based platform technologies driving t...
Nov. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 439
In his General Session at DevOps Summit, Asaf Yigal, Co-Founder & VP of Product at Logz.io, explored the value of Kibana 4 for log analysis and provided a hands-on tutorial on how to set up Kibana 4 and get the most out of Apache log files. He examined three use cases: IT operations, business intelligence, and security and compliance. Asaf Yigal is co-founder and VP of Product at log analytics software company Logz.io. In the past, he was co-founder of social-trading platform Currensee, which...
Nov. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EST Reads: 250
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
Nov. 29, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 485
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Nov. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 352
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Nov. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 414
DevOps is about increasing efficiency, but nothing is more inefficient than building the same application twice. However, this is a routine occurrence with enterprise applications that need both a rich desktop web interface and strong mobile support. With recent technological advances from Isomorphic Software and others, rich desktop and tuned mobile experiences can now be created with a single codebase – without compromising functionality, performance or usability. In his session at DevOps Su...
Nov. 29, 2015 12:45 PM EST Reads: 419
As organizations realize the scope of the Internet of Things, gaining key insights from Big Data, through the use of advanced analytics, becomes crucial. However, IoT also creates the need for petabyte scale storage of data from millions of devices. A new type of Storage is required which seamlessly integrates robust data analytics with massive scale. These storage systems will act as “smart systems” provide in-place analytics that speed discovery and enable businesses to quickly derive meaningf...
Nov. 29, 2015 12:30 PM EST Reads: 425
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Nov. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 527
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Nov. 29, 2015 11:45 AM EST Reads: 327
The buzz continues for cloud, data analytics and the Internet of Things (IoT) and their collective impact across all industries. But a new conversation is emerging - how do companies use industry disruption and technology enablers to lead in markets undergoing change, uncertainty and ambiguity? Organizations of all sizes need to evolve and transform, often under massive pressure, as industry lines blur and merge and traditional business models are assaulted and turned upside down. In this new da...
Nov. 29, 2015 11:30 AM EST Reads: 275
In recent years, at least 40% of companies using cloud applications have experienced data loss. One of the best prevention against cloud data loss is backing up your cloud data. In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Sam McIntyre, Partner Enablement Specialist at eFolder, presented how organizations can use eFolder Cloudfinder to automate backups of cloud application data. He also demonstrated how easy it is to search and restore cloud application data using Cloudfinder.
Nov. 29, 2015 10:00 AM EST Reads: 203
The Internet of Everything is re-shaping technology trends–moving away from “request/response” architecture to an “always-on” Streaming Web where data is in constant motion and secure, reliable communication is an absolute necessity. As more and more THINGS go online, the challenges that developers will need to address will only increase exponentially. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Todd Greene, Founder & CEO of PubNub, exploreed the current state of IoT connectivity and review key trends and t...
Nov. 29, 2015 09:45 AM EST Reads: 453
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Nov. 29, 2015 09:15 AM EST Reads: 345
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Nov. 29, 2015 08:45 AM EST Reads: 223