News Feed Item
10 Things to Do in August in Chicago: Top August Events, Things to Do and Chicago Summer Festivals Announced by ChicagoTraveler.com
Boat Tours, Summer Festivals and Incredible Chicago Events Make August One of the Best Months to Spend in the Windy City; Enjoy All the Top Things to Do This August 2014 in Chicago
|By Marketwired .
|July 29, 2014 07:12 AM EDT
CHICAGO, IL -- (Marketwired) -- 07/29/14 -- After a winter that made the record books for all the wrong reasons, Chicago gears up for the month that makes it all worthwhile -- August. August is glorious in Chicago. Blue skies, sunny days and warm temperatures lure hundreds of thousands of visitors and natives alike. Today ChicagoTraveler.com, a local tourism site, announced its list of 10 Things to Do in Chicago in August. Grab your shades, your sense of adventure and get out there. Summer in Chicago awaits!
1. Lollapalooza - Thousands of music fans pack Grant Park for this three day music extravaganza. Lollapalooza bills itself as a cultural experience that takes place on 115 acres by the Chicago lakefront. The food, fun and music are non-stop. This year's headliners include Eminem, Outkast and Kings of Leon. Aug 1-3
2. Wrigleyville SummerFest - Enjoy a weekend of music, food and fun in one of the Chicago's best-known neighborhoods. A quintessential Chicago street festival on the north side, Wrigleyville SummerFest offers plenty of activities for kids in the Kids' Zone as well as popular bands and entertainment for adults. Aug 2-3
3. The Chicago Air and Water Show - The highlight of the summer for many Chicagoans and visitors alike. The spectacular Air and Water Show is immensely popular. This free event takes place along the lakefront with the best viewing at North Avenue Beach. The U.S. Navy Blue Angels and the U.S. Army Parachute Golden Knights are headlining this year's show. Over 2 million spectators pack the beaches so plan accordingly. Aug 16-17
4. Chicago River Tours - There is no better time than August to get out on the Chicago River and learn a little bit about the beautiful Windy City. Anita Dee Yacht Charters provides travelers with excellent guides, unbeatable sights, and interesting information. The views aren't the only thing that are unbeatable...the prices are too! One hour architectural tour goes for $17, and one hour fireworks cruise goes for $23. Enjoy the day in style!
5. The Chicago Jazz Festival - The city's music scene shines in this four day festival held in Millennium Park. No city does Jazz better than Chicago. This free event showcases unparalleled variety and creativity by some of the best jazz talent in the world. Aug 28-31
6. Street Festivals -
Taste of Polonia:
Celebrate Labor Day Weekend with this four day festival. There is something for everyone, and the music never stops. Thirty-five bands, vendors, climbing wall, bounce houses, indoor Casino and Bingo, and the best of Polish food and beer keep adults and kids happy. Everyone is Polish at Taste of Polonia. Aug 29-Sept 1 Adults $7, Kids under 12 free
Art Dans La Rue:
Get the beauty of Europe here in the streets of Chicago! Art Dans La Rue offers art, food, wine, music and dancing and everything else European. Activities include French lessons, wine tastings, gelato, a poodle parade, and other incredible events. Festival takes place on Marion Street, between Lake and North Blvd. from 12 - 9pm.
7. Tall Ship Windy - One of the best ways to view Chicago is from the water. The 148 ft. Tall Ship Windy is modeled after historical topsail schooners. This 4-masted majestic ship offers a variety of daily sailing tours including educational, architectural and even pirate adventures. There is nothing more fun for both kids and parents than a Tall Ship Windy adventure. Learn the mysteries of the Great Lakes on the Spirit Ships and Haunted Harbors sail, or experience the stories of real pirates on the Real Pirates of the Inland Sea tour -- you can't go wrong!
8. Tastebud Food Tours - Chicago is known for its food, and this walking tour takes you to five or six locations for a tasting of the best in Chicago eats. Guides lead you through the city streets highlighting architecture, interesting facts and of course, the food. The deep dish pizza and Chicago style hot dog are must bites. Come hungry and don't ask for ketchup!
9. Summer Concerts in August - Chicago is featuring some of the best names in music with a wide variety of concerts in August. Tori Amos, Katy Perry, Echo & the Bunnymen, Miley Cyrus, Cage the Elephant, Motley Crue, Jason Aldean, Goo Goo Dolls and Daughtry are just some of the headliners set to appear throughout the month. Find more concerts and Chicago concert tickets here.
10. Navy Pier Fireworks - No visit to Chicago is complete without a day spent at Navy Pier. The historic pier extends almost a mile out into Lake Michigan. With theaters, shops, restaurants, museums, shows and the massive Ferris Wheel, there is always something happening at the Pier. But far and away, the most popular event is the Navy Pier Fireworks. The free fireworks show happens every Wednesday and Saturday night through the end of August. Whether you watch them from the lakefront or from the water, the fireworks are a perfect ending to a magical summer night.
Whatever your tastes in food, music or adventure, Chicago has an August option for you. The best month, in one of the world's premier cities, is waiting for you. Chicago in August is not to be missed!
Chicago is one of the top vacation destinations in America famous for its unique character, annual events, popular foods, and architecture top sports teams. ChicagoTraveler.com guides travelers to all the best things to do, top places to eat and deals on the best places to stay in Chicago.
What are the new priorities for the connected business? First: businesses need to think differently about the types of connections they will need to make – these span well beyond the traditional app to app into more modern forms of integration including SaaS integrations, mobile integrations, APIs, device integration and Big Data integration. It’s important these are unified together vs. doing them all piecemeal. Second, these types of connections need to be simple to design, adapt and configure...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 537
Just over a week ago I received a long and loud sustained applause for a presentation I delivered at this year’s Cloud Expo in Santa Clara. I was extremely pleased with the turnout and had some very good conversations with many of the attendees. Over the next few days I had many more meaningful conversations and was not only happy with the results but also learned a few new things. Here is everything I learned in those three days distilled into three short points.
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 5,357
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 448
24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to connect your brand strategy with the right consumer. 24Notion ranked #12 on Corporate Social Responsibility - Book of List.
Sep. 30, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 417
The Jevons Paradox suggests that when technological advances increase efficiency of a resource, it results in an overall increase in consumption. Writing on the increased use of coal as a result of technological improvements, 19th-century economist William Stanley Jevons found that these improvements led to the development of new ways to utilize coal.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Thiele, Chief Strategy Officer for Apcera, will compare the Jevons Paradox to modern-day enterprise IT, e...
Sep. 30, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,449
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 740
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,901
SYS-CON Events announced today that eCube Systems, a leading provider of middleware modernization, integration, and management solutions, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
eCube Systems offers a family of middleware evolution products and services that maximize return on technology investment by leveraging existing technical equity to meet evolving business needs. ...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,616
What does it look like when you have access to cloud infrastructure and platform under the same roof? Let’s talk about the different layers of Technology as a Service: who cares, what runs where, and how does it all fit together.
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Phil Jackson, Lead Technology Evangelist at SoftLayer, an IBM company, spoke about the picture being painted by IBM Cloud and how the tools being crafted can help fill the gaps in your IT infrastructure.
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,138
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley.
The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
"The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Sep. 30, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,524
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example:
Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest
Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry
The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,370
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises.
The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lea...
Sep. 30, 2016 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 718
Whether they’re located in a public, private, or hybrid cloud environment, cloud technologies are constantly evolving. While the innovation is exciting, the end mission of delivering business value and rapidly producing incremental product features is paramount.
In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 19th Cloud Expo, Kiran Chitturi, CTO Architect at Sungard AS, will discuss DevOps culture, its evolution of frameworks and technologies, and how it is achieving maturity. He will also cover various st...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,010
Adobe is changing the world though digital experiences. Adobe helps customers develop and deliver high-impact experiences that differentiate brands, build loyalty, and drive revenue across every screen, including smartphones, computers, tablets and TVs. Adobe content solutions are used daily by millions of companies worldwide-from publishers and broadcasters, to enterprises, marketing agencies and household-name brands. Building on its established design leadership, Adobe enables customers not o...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 435
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics.
In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 30, 2016 04:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,829