|By Marketwired .||
|July 29, 2014 01:41 PM EDT||
BOSTON, MA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/29/14 -- August is the month to honor the lighthouse with not one, but two celebrations. August 7th is National Lighthouse Day (this year marks the 25th anniversary) and International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend falls each year on the third full weekend of the month. The lighthouse has served as a guiding light for many sailors. However, due to modern technology, many of these beacons are no longer required for their original maritime purposes and have since been beautifully transformed into rustic, and often remote, vacation spots. The travel experts at Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, reveal their Top 11 Lighthouse Inns featuring coastal accommodations with spectacular seaside views, cozy atmospheres and the sound of waves to lull you to sleep each night.
To celebrate safe passages and scenic views, here are six picturesque lighthouse inns around the world to make our list:
- Belle Tout Lighthouse in Beachy Head, East Sussex, United Kingdom - Built in 1832, Belle Tout is one of the most famous lighthouses in England. It was owned by the BBC and featured in many TV productions including the James Bond movie "The Living Daylights." Now fully renovated, the lighthouse boasts a stunning 360-degree view of the English Channel from its lantern room and has six themed bedrooms such as "The Captain's Cabin."
- The Lighthouse in Island Bay, Wellington, New Zealand - Located 15 minutes from Wellington city center this lighthouse is an ideal base for walks on the beach or to the seal colony at Red Rocks. It is a perfect venue for a romantic getaway as you will have this small lighthouse with its ground floor kitchen, middle floor bedroom and top floor seating area with a balcony all to yourself.
- Sugarloaf Point Lighthouse, Seal Rocks, Australia - Composed of three beautifully restored lighthouse keepers' cottages, Sugarloaf provides accommodations for groups between four and eight. Located in a sleepy village of Seal Rocks, it is a perfect getaway for water-based activities: swimming, snorkeling, fishing and many others as well as bush trailing in Myall Lakes National Park.
- Haceta Head Lighthouse, Yachats, Oregon, U.S. - To say that Haceta's location is scenic doesn't do it justice. This lighthouse stands midway up a 200-foot headland of a state park and shines the strongest light on the Oregon coast. You can stay in one of six rooms in the lightkeeper's cottage and benefit from the dramatic views of the Pacific Ocean or the lighthouse itself.
- Great Fish Point Lighthouse, Eastern Cape, South Africa - One of South Africa's smallest lighthouses and one of only four you can stay in, Great Fish Point is located close to Port Alfred on Eastern Cape and offers cottage accommodations for up to 12 people. Magnificent views of the Indian Ocean and the proximity of the seaside resort of Port Alfred make this lighthouse a perfect vacation destination.
- West Point Lighthouse, Prince Edward Island, Canada - At 70 feet tall, West Point Lighthouse is one of Prince Edward Island's tallest lighthouses. Built in 1875, this lighthouse was manned until 1962 when the keeper retired. More than a decade later, the beautiful lighthouse was converted into an Inn where people could escape to find harmony. Enjoy a stay at West Point Lighthouse Inn and explore the beautiful beaches, dine on locally caught seafood and just relax as your worries float away. Oh, and keep an eye out for the famous "Phantom Ship"; rumor has it that it is best seen just before a storm rolls in.
The quaint lighthouse accommodations worth discovering that round out our list are: Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel, Kirkcolm, Scotland; Roter Sand Lighthouse, Germany; Rose Island Lighthouse, Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.; Harlingen Lighthouse, Harlingen, The Netherlands; and Molja Lighthouse, Ålesund, Norway. To read the cozy details on these and Cheapflights.com's complete Top 11 Lighthouse Inns, visit www.cheapflights.com/news/top-11-lighthouse-inns.
About Cheapflights.com, part of the Momondo Group
Momondo Group is an online travel media and technology company that is driven by the belief that an open world is a better world. The group now serves travel search and inspiration to over 17.5 million visitors a month -- plus 7 million travel newsletter subscribers -- via its Cheapflights (www.cheapflights.com) and momondo (www.momondo.com) brands.
Skygate began the sourcing of complex air-travel data in 1992, while Cheapflights pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users in 1996 and momondo launched meta-search in the Nordic countries in 2006.
The Group has offices in London, Copenhagen, Boston and Toronto, with a consumer base across more than 25 core international markets but users all over the world.
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/cheapflights
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cheapflights
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2647224
Due of the rise of Hadoop, many enterprises are now deploying their first small clusters of 10 to 20 servers. At this small scale, the complexity of operating the cluster looks and feels like general data center servers. It is not until the clusters scale, as they inevitably do, when the pain caused by the exponential complexity becomes apparent. We've seen this problem occur time and time again. In his session at Big Data Expo, Greg Bruno, Vice President of Engineering and co-founder of StackIQ...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:45 PM EST Reads: 9,310
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 9,118
"Plutora provides release and testing environment capabilities to the enterprise," explained Dalibor Siroky, Director and Co-founder of Plutora, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @DevOpsSummit, held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City.
Feb. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,717
FinTech is the sum of financial and technology, and it’s one of the fastest growing tech industries. Total global investments in FinTech almost reached $50 billion last year, but there is still a great deal of confusion over what it is and what it means – especially as it applies to retirement. Building financial startups is not simple, but with the right team, technology and an innovative approach it can be an extremely interesting domain to disrupt. FinTech heralds a financial revolution that...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 1,936
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 13,554
In his session at DevOps Summit, Tapabrata Pal, Director of Enterprise Architecture at Capital One, will tell a story about how Capital One has embraced Agile and DevOps Security practices across the Enterprise – driven by Enterprise Architecture; bringing in Development, Operations and Information Security organizations together. Capital Ones DevOpsSec practice is based upon three "pillars" – Shift-Left, Automate Everything, Dashboard Everything. Within about three years, from 100% waterfall, C...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 11,321
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,912
SYS-CON Events announced today that Addteq will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo New York, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Addteq is one of the top 10 Platinum Atlassian Experts who specialize in DevOps, custom and continuous integration, automation, plugin development, and consulting for midsize and global firms. Addteq firmly believes that automation is essential for successful software releases. Addteq centers its products an...
Feb. 25, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 518
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 25, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,805
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 25, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 8,821
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 25, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,687
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 25, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,936
For organizations that have amassed large sums of software complexity, taking a microservices approach is the first step toward DevOps and continuous improvement / development. Integrating system-level analysis with microservices makes it easier to change and add functionality to applications at any time without the increase of risk. Before you start big transformation projects or a cloud migration, make sure these changes won’t take down your entire organization.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,390
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,174
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 25, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 7,694