|By PR Newswire||
|July 31, 2014 02:30 PM EDT||
BURLINGTON, Mass., July 31, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group's experts are scoping healthcare funding changes brought about by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which has affected both reimbursement and prescribing of pharmaceutical therapies. The ACA altered how Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) cover beneficiaries through new regulations and expanded access via government-supported programs. Dynamic change is occurring in the health exchanges—state-based marketplaces set up by states or the federal government that allow individuals to shop for subsidized coverage—where benefit design and physician behavior result in an altered prescribing environment. A new Executive Briefing examines the key trends driven by the launch of health insurance exchanges and how they will impact the pharmaceutical industry over the next few years.
- Decision Resources Group's newest Executive Briefing, entitled Health Exchanges: What This New Channel Unlocks for Branded Agents, highlights the motivations of MCOs operating in the health insurance exchanges and outlines how their decisions affect prescribing and uptake.
- MCOs are increasingly participating in the exchanges. Some MCOs that sat out 2014, such as UnitedHealthcare, indicated they may be entering the market for 2015.
- MCOs are leveraging narrow networks. In a survey of 40 MCO pharmacy and medical directors that employ narrow networks, 65 percent cited the desire to reduce drug costs and 58 percent pointed to reducing medical costs as the key drivers.
- At least in the exchanges, the era of open formularies appears to be closing. In a recent survey of 44 MCOs that offer products on the exchange, fewer than half offered an open formulary—choosing instead either a closed, or partially closed, formulary.
- MCOs are placing higher out-of-pocket costs on exchange-based plans. Individuals covered by exchange-based plans are likely facing a deductible of at least $1,500. Surveyed plans with a deductible reported deductibles ranging from $1,600 to nearly $2,000 for an individual based on the value of the plan.
- Physicians will react to higher cost shares by prescribing lower cost drugs, hurting branded agents. With electronic health records systems and e-prescribing, physicians understand patient formularies better than before.
- To download the Executive Briefing, click here.
- Roy Moore, Principal Director at Decision Resources Group, comments: "Health insurance exchanges represent the biggest opportunity for the drug industry since the launch of Part D a decade ago, but this new market is not without challenges. Health plans' desire to control cost and utilization has resulted in new hurdles to access, which ultimately affect the actual drug prescribed. Drug firms must understand the intricacies of specific exchange-based plans to devise successful strategies that will work in this new channel."
About Physician & Payer Forum: Understand Healthcare Reform's Impact by Therapy
Decision Resources Group conducts primary research with physicians, MCO pharmacy directors and MCO medical directors—and leverages expert analysis—to find unique insights.
2014 coverage includes the following titles:
- Managed Care Strategies in Oncology: US Payer and Prescriber Insights on the Impact of Clinical Pathways, Bundled Payments, and ACOs on Brand Uptake in Renal Cell Carcinoma and Colorectal Cancer
- Healthcare Reform and Asthma: How Should Brand Marketers Adapt to the Launch of Exchanges and Expanded Medicaid?
- The Impact of ACOs on Prescribing for Acute Coronary Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, and Pulmonary Hypertension: Actionable Insights from US Payers and Prescribers
- High-Cost Biologics for Immune Diseases: How Will Healthcare Reform and Payer Led Cost-Taming Strategies Impact Brand Prescribing
- Population Health Management in Diabetes: What Does this Holy Grail of Practice Mean for Specific Diabetes Brands?
- Healthcare Reform and Mental Health: How Should Brand Marketers Adapt to the Launch of Exchanges and Expanded Medicaid?
Find out more about Physician & Payer Forum here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
SOURCE Decision Resources Group
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,077
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 25, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,697
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,007
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 941
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,737
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 950
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,120
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,305
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 25, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 915
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,149
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 604
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,031
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,613
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,409
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,021