|By Business Wire||
|August 4, 2014 12:01 AM EDT||
GE (NYSE:GE) announced today that it will invest $2 billion in facility development, skills training, and sustainability initiatives across Africa by 2018. GE made the announcement in advance of President Obama’s U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit, where GE is hosting African and global government officials, policy experts, NGOs, entrepreneurs and business leaders for a conference on investment, infrastructure, and innovation in Africa.
Through partnerships and technology, GE is poised to help increase access, reliability, and affordability of core infrastructure throughout the continent. Africa has emerged as the most promising growth region for GE. Total GE revenues in Africa in 2013 were $5.2 billion and in the past year, GE has won more than $8.3 billion in orders across Africa.
GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt said, “I am proud of our 100-year history in Africa. Through investments such as our new multi-modal manufacturing facility in Nigeria, Algeria gas turbine manufacturing, and our customer innovation center in South Africa, we remain a committed partner to Africa’s sustainable growth.”
GE will focus its investment in Africa in three strategic areas: building infrastructure; delivering localized solutions to customers; and capacity building, by providing skills training and growing supply chain development in local communities.
New GE commitments in Africa include:
- GE’s Distributed Power business will supply aeroderivative gas turbines in Algeria and Nigeria to increase grid reliability during peak power demands in Algeria and generate uninterrupted power at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation’s state oil refinery. As a founding partner for President Obama’s Power Africa initiative, GE committed to help bring online 5,000MW of new electric generation capacity in cooperation with the Initiative’s government and other private sector partners across six partner countries, including Nigeria.
- GE’s “Country-to-Company” agreement with the Government of Nigeria, which encourages the development of infrastructure projects and the transfer of skills and technology, will be renewed for another five years.
- GE will supply approximately $1 billion in railway and power equipment to Angola, under a bilateral agreement signed this week between the Export-Import Bank and Angola’s Ministry of Finance to finance infrastructure development projects in the country.
- The GE Foundation will invest $20 million over the next five years in health programs across Africa – including Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Malawi – to train nurse anesthetists and biomedical equipment technicians, among other healthcare initiatives.
Jay Ireland, President and CEO, GE Africa said, “GE has long been committed to unlocking Africa’s potential but, as our most recent deals in the region demonstrate, we believe there is still more that we can do. Our investments in infrastructure and people only strengthen our role as a key partner in helping to build Africa’s future.”
Nabil Habayeb, President and CEO, GE Middle East, North Africa & Turkey said, “Together with our regional partners, GE is elevating transformative ideas that have the potential to solve local challenges by lending scale and resources. GE is committed to empowering the communities in which it operates across the continent.”
Other commitments and recent announcements in Africa include:
Core infrastructure needs in Africa represent a $90 billion opportunity. GE is one of the leading American companies powering Africa. GE’s advanced technologies generate 25 percent of Africa’s gas power, and nearly 70 percent of the electricity distributed across Algeria.
- GE and Dangote Industries, one of the largest diversified industrial conglomerates in Africa, signed a strategic cooperation agreement last year, and a framework agreement for distributed power solutions this year. The partners will collaborate on major infrastructure projects – in power generation, rail transport, and the oil and gas sector.
- GE and the Tunisia Ministry of Development and International Cooperation signed a “Country-to-Company” MOU agreement, committing to develop local infrastructure through partnerships in transportation, healthcare, and electricity sectors.
- GE recently announced plans to invest in the Ghana 1000 project, which aims to bring 1,000 MW of power online over the next six years.
- GE South Africa Technologies has committed to supply Transnet with 233 locomotives, as well as develop a Supplier Development Fund with IDC and IFC that fosters the growth of subject matter experts throughout the GE supply chain in Africa. The partnership with Transnet has created hundreds of skilled jobs on both continents. With this new order, GE will be delivering 436 new locomotives operating in South Africa by 2017.
- In Algeria, GE is investing with partner, Sonelgaz, to build a new production plant manufacturing steam turbines, gas turbines, generators, and control systems that will deliver approximately 2 GW per year to meet the country’s growing electricity demand.
- GE received orders in Mozambique for 100 locomotives between 2012 and 2014. In early 2014, GE Transportation delivered the first four of 10 C30ACi locomotives that were ordered in 2012 to CFM (Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique). GE will provide services and skills training in Mozambique. For this order, the engines are made in Pennsylvania and the locomotives are assembled at Transnet Engineering plant in South Africa.
GE is working with partners in Africa to drive sustainable development and solve local challenges by investing in technology, building capital markets and developing technical skills within communities.
- In Calabar, Nigeria, GE is investing more than $1 billion over five years to build technical expertise and infrastructure capacity across various sectors of the Nigerian economy. The investment includes $250 million toward a new multi-modal facility for manufacturing and assembling machinery that will create 2,300 new local jobs.
- As part of a $500 million agreement with Egypt’s Carbon Holding, GE will deliver an integrated solutions package featuring technologies and equity in one of the world’s largest petrochemical projects.
- By 2017, GE will invest $70 million into a Customer Innovation Center for skills development in South Africa, as well as $19 million into supplier development funds to provide financial and technical support for emerging local businesses.
- GE will provide an additional $350 million in services and technology to Nigeria’s subsea industry, including hiring of local field engineers and deployment of solutions from GE’s Oil & Gas business.
- In collaboration with the U.S. Africa Development Foundation and USAID, GE launched the “Power Africa Off-Grid Energy Challenge” and awarded six $100,000 grants to local enterprises to develop and expand off-grid solutions. Now in its second phase, the challenge has expanded to cover all six Power Africa countries by including Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Nigeria, and Tanzania.
- Together with the Federal Ministry of Health and USAID, GE Healthcare has entered into a $20 million five-year initiative to reduce child-maternal deaths in Nigeria. This partnership entails forming a new healthymagination Mother and Child Initiative as well as supporting the ongoing efforts of the Ministry of Health’s “Save One Million Lives” program, which tackles maternal and infant mortality in Nigeria.
GE empowers the communities in which it operates by providing skills training and developing leaders through partnerships with local governments, schools, and hospitals. We are investing in capacity building that will ensure sustained growth.
- Through its Apprenticeship program, over the next four years, GE Africa will spend up to $45 million to develop local Angolan talent.
- As part of its work with the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), GE will support YALI Regional Leadership Centers curriculum development, provide facilitated leadership training, and volunteer GE staff members to serve as mentors to youth.
- In Algeria, GE is partnering with the Ministry of Health to improve emergency care, modernize hospitals and support the government in developing 10 new teaching hospitals. GE launched its healthymagination program in Algeria in May, focused on consumer education and awareness of disease prevention.
- In partnership with AMIDEast, GE is investing in teacher training programs focused on increasing capabilities in the public education system in Libya, Tunis and Egypt.
- GE, Dangote Foundation and other partners are collaborating to create a skilled workforce in Nigeria. Both organizations are focused on training young people in order to maximize their potential for employment. Garages is designed as a convention for hands on training, work placement opportunities, and a leadership program designed for graduate students in manufacturing and various service industries.
“Over the last few years, we have expanded in growth markets by 15 percent each year,” Immelt said. “Our capability and culture give us great momentum in Africa and other developing regions around the world. We are solving problems for our customers and countries where we invest.”
GE (NYSE:GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Conference Guru has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. A valuable conference experience generates new contacts, sales leads, potential strategic partners and potential investors; helps gather competitive intelligence and even provides inspiration for new products and services. Conference Guru works with conference organizers to pass great dea...
Feb. 19, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 1,653
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Feb. 19, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,391
"When you think about the data center today, there's constant evolution, The evolution of the data center and the needs of the consumer of technology change, and they change constantly," stated Matt Kalmenson, VP of Sales, Service and Cloud Providers at Veeam Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Feb. 19, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 5,351
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, discussed the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 AM EST Reads: 4,714
Zerto exhibited at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which took place at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, in June 2016. Zerto is committed to keeping enterprise and cloud IT running 24/7 by providing innovative, simple, reliable and scalable business continuity software solutions. Through the Zerto Cloud Continuity Platform™, organizations can seamlessly move and protect virtualized workloads between public, private and hybrid clouds. The company’s flagship product, Zerto Virtual...
Feb. 19, 2017 05:45 AM EST Reads: 805
WebRTC defines no default signaling protocol, causing fragmentation between WebRTC silos. SIP and XMPP provide possibilities, but come with considerable complexity and are not designed for use in a web environment. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Matthew Hodgson, technical co-founder of the Matrix.org, discussed how Matrix is a new non-profit Open Source Project that defines both a new HTTP-based standard for VoIP & IM signaling and provides reference implementations.
Feb. 19, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 4,661
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Feb. 19, 2017 04:00 AM EST Reads: 10,967
We all know that data growth is exploding and storage budgets are shrinking. Instead of showing you charts on about how much data there is, in his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Scott Cleland, Senior Director of Product Marketing at HGST, showed how to capture all of your data in one place. After you have your data under control, you can then analyze it in one place, saving time and resources.
Feb. 19, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 3,813
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Feb. 19, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 1,533
910Telecom exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and exchanges.
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 1,266
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Feb. 19, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 752
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Feb. 19, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 3,916
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, discussed how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a new m...
Feb. 19, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 2,844
Niagara Networks exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Feb. 19, 2017 12:15 AM EST Reads: 663
A look across the tech landscape at the disruptive technologies that are increasing in prominence and speculate as to which will be most impactful for communications – namely, AI and Cloud Computing. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Curtis Peterson, VP of Operations at RingCentral, will highlight the current challenges of these transformative technologies and share strategies for preparing your organization for these changes. This “view from the top” will outline the latest trends and developm...
Feb. 18, 2017 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,838