|By Marketwired .||
|August 5, 2014 02:13 AM EDT||
WINNERSH, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 08/05/14 -- Vernalis PLC (LSE: VER) (PINKSHEETS: VNLPY)
Vernalis plc (LSE: VER) today announces its results for the six months ended 30 June 2014.
- Continued strong financial performance ahead of market expectations
- Revenue was £ 6.2 million (H1 2013: £ 7.6 million)
- Frovatriptan royalty income at £ 1.8 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million) was in line with market expectations, with one 12.5 kg batch of API delivered to Menarini
- Collaboration income was £ 4.4 million (H1 2013: £ 5.0 million) with £ 1.1 million of milestones earned (H1 2013: £ 2.5 million) and the remaining income derived from FTE funding
- Operating costs (including R&D) before exceptional items marginally higher at £ 9.5 million (2013: £ 9.1 million)
- R&D spend remains largely flat at £ 6.9 million (H1 2013: £ 6.5 million)
- External R&D expenditure increased to £ 1.4 million (H1 2013: £ 1.0 million) due to investment in V158866, V81444 and increased activity on Tris related projects
- Operating loss before exceptional items was £ 3.9 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million)
- Loss for the period after exceptional items was £ 4.6 million (H1 2013: profit of £ 4.2 million) including a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss (H1 2013: £ 4.4 million gain) due to the strength of Sterling
- Balance sheet remains strong with £ 70.3 million of cash resources (including cash, cash equivalents and held-to-maturity financial assets) and debt free
- Net decrease in cash resources of £ 6.6 million for the first six months of 2014
- Large proportion of cash still denominated in US dollars, with a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss reported for the period
- Proof-of-Concept (POC) payment on CCP-07 of £ 1.8 million paid to Tris in April 2014
- Underlying cash burn increased to £ 3.8 million (2013: £ 2.6 million) resulting from decline in revenue and small increase in operating costs
Cough Cold Commercial Pipeline:
- NDA for Tuzistra XR (CCP-01) submitted to the FDA at the end of June as expected
- POC achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08 triggering milestone payments to Tris in April and July 2014 respectively
- Two further programmes continue in active development at Tris and are targeted to achieve POC before the end of 2014
NCE Development Pipeline:
Frovatriptan (marketed) (Migraine):
- H1 2014 Menarini frovatriptan sales were in line with the same period in 2013 (EUR 13.2 million vs EUR 13.1million)
V81444 (CNS diseases):
- Results of the Phase Ib/II POC study in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (April 2014) were promising and the goal is now to partner this programme for further development in ADHD, PD or other CNS disorders where A2A receptor antagonists show potential patient benefit
- The Phase II POC study in spinal cord injury neuropathic pain continues with data now expected in 2015, due to slower than anticipated patient recruitment
- Multiple Phase I and Phase II studies with Novartis continue in a variety of cancers with a focus on non-small-cell lung cancers
Tosedostat - CHR2797 (Cancer):
- The partial clinical hold on investigator led trials was removed by the FDA in January 2014 enabling studies to resume
- CTI Biopharma Corp. (previously Cell Therapeutics Inc.) is hoping that data from these trials in acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) may inform the appropriate design of a Phase III study
- CTI Biopharma also announced in June, the initiation of an international co-operation group Phase II study of tosedostat in combination with low dose cytarabine in older patients with AML or MDS
Servier 1 (Cancer):
- Servier signed a global strategic agreement with Novartis to develop and commercialise drug candidates from this collaboration (May 2014)
- The lead molecule from this collaboration with Servier, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor, has progressed into Phase I (June 2014) triggering a £ 0.8 million (EUR 1 million) milestone receipt
- Milestone achieved in collaboration with Asahi Kasei Pharma triggering a £ 0.3 million payment to Vernalis (March 2014)
- Winner of Queen's Award for Enterprise (April 2014)
- Two milestones achieved in our collaborations with Servier triggering, in total, a EUR 0.75 million payment to Vernalis (August 2014)
- Tuzistra XR NDA filing acceptance by FDA (Q3 2014)
- Achieve POC for remaining two cough cold pipeline programmes (before year end 2014)
- V158866 (Pain) - Completion of Phase II POC study (2015)
- AUY922 (Cancer) - Multiple Phase I and II study results (Novartis, timing not disclosed)
- Achieve further milestones under existing research collaborations
- Secure new research collaborations
Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We have made excellent progress across all aspects of our business during the first half of this year.
The cough cold commercial pipeline has advanced significantly with submission of the Tuzistra XR NDA to the FDA and proof-of-concept achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08. We aim to achieve proof-of-concept on the two remaining cough cold products before the end of 2014.
We also announced positive news from the NCE pipeline with promising results from V81444's phase Ib/II study in ADHD. We now aim to partner this programme having significantly enhanced the data package. In the period we also announced that Servier 1, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor had entered Phase 1.
Research continues to perform well and remains self-funding with more milestones earned and five collaborations active during the period. Our financial results overall continue to be strong and we are well positioned for the launch of our first cough cold product into the US market in 2015."
Presentation & Conference Call
Vernalis management will host a presentation at 09.00 am (UK) today (5 August 2014) at Brunswick's offices, 16 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3ED. It will also be available via webcast at http://www.vernalis.com/investor-centre/presentations-and-webcasts and www.cantos.com.
Please contact Valerie Mugridge at Brunswick on +44 (0) 207 396 5325 for details.
-- ends --
Vernalis plc: Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer +44 (0) 118 938 0015 David Mackney, Chief Financial Officer Canaccord Genuity Limited (Nominated Adviser): +44 (0) 20 7523 8350 Lucy Tilley Dr Julian Feneley Henry Fitzgerald-O'Connor Shore Capital (Joint Broker): +44 (0)20 7408 4090 Bidhi Bhoma Toby Gibbs Brunswick Group: +44 (0) 20 7404 5959 Jon Coles
Notes to Editors
Vernalis is a revenue generating development stage pharmaceutical company with significant expertise in drug development. The Group has one marketed product, frovatriptan for the acute treatment of migraine, an exclusive licensing agreement to develop and commercialise multiple novel products focussed on the US prescription cough cold market as well as seven programmes in its NCE development pipeline. Vernalis has also significant expertise in fragment and structure based drug discovery which it leverages to enter into collaborations with larger pharmaceutical companies. The Company's technologies, capabilities and products have been endorsed over the last five years by collaborations with leading pharmaceutical companies, including AKP, Biogen Idec, Endo, GSK, Genentech, Lundbeck, Menarini, Novartis, Servier and Tris.
For further information about Vernalis, please visit www.vernalis.com
Vernalis Forward-Looking Statement
This news release may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the Company's current expectations regarding future events including the clinical development and regulatory clearance of the Company's products, the Company's ability to find partners for the development and commercialisation of its products, as well as the Company's future capital raising activities. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual events could differ materially from those projected herein and depend on a number of factors including the success of the Company's research strategies, the applicability of the discoveries made therein, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the uncertainties related to the regulatory process, the ability of the Company to identify and agree beneficial terms with suitable partners for the commercialisation and/or development of its products, as well as the achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, the acceptance of frovatriptan and other products by consumers and medical professionals, the successful integration of completed mergers and acquisitions and achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, and the ability of the Company to identify and consummate suitable strategic and business combination transactions.
Click on, or paste the following link into your web browser, to view the associated PDF document.
This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange
Oct. 25, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,987
Oct. 25, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 980
Oct. 25, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 982
Oct. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 879
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,242
Oct. 25, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,707
Oct. 25, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,104
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,375
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,119
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,543
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 312
Join Impiger for their featured webinar: ‘Cloud Computing: A Roadmap to Modern Software Delivery’ on November 10, 2016, at 12:00 pm CST. Very few companies have not experienced some impact to their IT delivery due to the evolution of cloud computing. This webinar is not about deciding whether you should entertain moving some or all of your IT to the cloud, but rather, a detailed look under the hood to help IT professionals understand how cloud adoption has evolved and what trends will impact th...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 379
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,244
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,445
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,145