|By Marketwired .||
|August 5, 2014 02:13 AM EDT||
WINNERSH, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 08/05/14 -- Vernalis PLC (LSE: VER) (PINKSHEETS: VNLPY)
Vernalis plc (LSE: VER) today announces its results for the six months ended 30 June 2014.
- Continued strong financial performance ahead of market expectations
- Revenue was £ 6.2 million (H1 2013: £ 7.6 million)
- Frovatriptan royalty income at £ 1.8 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million) was in line with market expectations, with one 12.5 kg batch of API delivered to Menarini
- Collaboration income was £ 4.4 million (H1 2013: £ 5.0 million) with £ 1.1 million of milestones earned (H1 2013: £ 2.5 million) and the remaining income derived from FTE funding
- Operating costs (including R&D) before exceptional items marginally higher at £ 9.5 million (2013: £ 9.1 million)
- R&D spend remains largely flat at £ 6.9 million (H1 2013: £ 6.5 million)
- External R&D expenditure increased to £ 1.4 million (H1 2013: £ 1.0 million) due to investment in V158866, V81444 and increased activity on Tris related projects
- Operating loss before exceptional items was £ 3.9 million (H1 2013: £ 2.6 million)
- Loss for the period after exceptional items was £ 4.6 million (H1 2013: profit of £ 4.2 million) including a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss (H1 2013: £ 4.4 million gain) due to the strength of Sterling
- Balance sheet remains strong with £ 70.3 million of cash resources (including cash, cash equivalents and held-to-maturity financial assets) and debt free
- Net decrease in cash resources of £ 6.6 million for the first six months of 2014
- Large proportion of cash still denominated in US dollars, with a £ 1.7 million unrealised foreign exchange loss reported for the period
- Proof-of-Concept (POC) payment on CCP-07 of £ 1.8 million paid to Tris in April 2014
- Underlying cash burn increased to £ 3.8 million (2013: £ 2.6 million) resulting from decline in revenue and small increase in operating costs
Cough Cold Commercial Pipeline:
- NDA for Tuzistra XR (CCP-01) submitted to the FDA at the end of June as expected
- POC achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08 triggering milestone payments to Tris in April and July 2014 respectively
- Two further programmes continue in active development at Tris and are targeted to achieve POC before the end of 2014
NCE Development Pipeline:
Frovatriptan (marketed) (Migraine):
- H1 2014 Menarini frovatriptan sales were in line with the same period in 2013 (EUR 13.2 million vs EUR 13.1million)
V81444 (CNS diseases):
- Results of the Phase Ib/II POC study in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) (April 2014) were promising and the goal is now to partner this programme for further development in ADHD, PD or other CNS disorders where A2A receptor antagonists show potential patient benefit
- The Phase II POC study in spinal cord injury neuropathic pain continues with data now expected in 2015, due to slower than anticipated patient recruitment
- Multiple Phase I and Phase II studies with Novartis continue in a variety of cancers with a focus on non-small-cell lung cancers
Tosedostat - CHR2797 (Cancer):
- The partial clinical hold on investigator led trials was removed by the FDA in January 2014 enabling studies to resume
- CTI Biopharma Corp. (previously Cell Therapeutics Inc.) is hoping that data from these trials in acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) may inform the appropriate design of a Phase III study
- CTI Biopharma also announced in June, the initiation of an international co-operation group Phase II study of tosedostat in combination with low dose cytarabine in older patients with AML or MDS
Servier 1 (Cancer):
- Servier signed a global strategic agreement with Novartis to develop and commercialise drug candidates from this collaboration (May 2014)
- The lead molecule from this collaboration with Servier, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor, has progressed into Phase I (June 2014) triggering a £ 0.8 million (EUR 1 million) milestone receipt
- Milestone achieved in collaboration with Asahi Kasei Pharma triggering a £ 0.3 million payment to Vernalis (March 2014)
- Winner of Queen's Award for Enterprise (April 2014)
- Two milestones achieved in our collaborations with Servier triggering, in total, a EUR 0.75 million payment to Vernalis (August 2014)
- Tuzistra XR NDA filing acceptance by FDA (Q3 2014)
- Achieve POC for remaining two cough cold pipeline programmes (before year end 2014)
- V158866 (Pain) - Completion of Phase II POC study (2015)
- AUY922 (Cancer) - Multiple Phase I and II study results (Novartis, timing not disclosed)
- Achieve further milestones under existing research collaborations
- Secure new research collaborations
Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer, commented, "We have made excellent progress across all aspects of our business during the first half of this year.
The cough cold commercial pipeline has advanced significantly with submission of the Tuzistra XR NDA to the FDA and proof-of-concept achieved for both CCP-07 and CCP-08. We aim to achieve proof-of-concept on the two remaining cough cold products before the end of 2014.
We also announced positive news from the NCE pipeline with promising results from V81444's phase Ib/II study in ADHD. We now aim to partner this programme having significantly enhanced the data package. In the period we also announced that Servier 1, a selective BCL-2 inhibitor had entered Phase 1.
Research continues to perform well and remains self-funding with more milestones earned and five collaborations active during the period. Our financial results overall continue to be strong and we are well positioned for the launch of our first cough cold product into the US market in 2015."
Presentation & Conference Call
Vernalis management will host a presentation at 09.00 am (UK) today (5 August 2014) at Brunswick's offices, 16 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3ED. It will also be available via webcast at http://www.vernalis.com/investor-centre/presentations-and-webcasts and www.cantos.com.
Please contact Valerie Mugridge at Brunswick on +44 (0) 207 396 5325 for details.
-- ends --
Vernalis plc: Ian Garland, Chief Executive Officer +44 (0) 118 938 0015 David Mackney, Chief Financial Officer Canaccord Genuity Limited (Nominated Adviser): +44 (0) 20 7523 8350 Lucy Tilley Dr Julian Feneley Henry Fitzgerald-O'Connor Shore Capital (Joint Broker): +44 (0)20 7408 4090 Bidhi Bhoma Toby Gibbs Brunswick Group: +44 (0) 20 7404 5959 Jon Coles
Notes to Editors
Vernalis is a revenue generating development stage pharmaceutical company with significant expertise in drug development. The Group has one marketed product, frovatriptan for the acute treatment of migraine, an exclusive licensing agreement to develop and commercialise multiple novel products focussed on the US prescription cough cold market as well as seven programmes in its NCE development pipeline. Vernalis has also significant expertise in fragment and structure based drug discovery which it leverages to enter into collaborations with larger pharmaceutical companies. The Company's technologies, capabilities and products have been endorsed over the last five years by collaborations with leading pharmaceutical companies, including AKP, Biogen Idec, Endo, GSK, Genentech, Lundbeck, Menarini, Novartis, Servier and Tris.
For further information about Vernalis, please visit www.vernalis.com
Vernalis Forward-Looking Statement
This news release may contain forward-looking statements that reflect the Company's current expectations regarding future events including the clinical development and regulatory clearance of the Company's products, the Company's ability to find partners for the development and commercialisation of its products, as well as the Company's future capital raising activities. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Actual events could differ materially from those projected herein and depend on a number of factors including the success of the Company's research strategies, the applicability of the discoveries made therein, the successful and timely completion of clinical studies, the uncertainties related to the regulatory process, the ability of the Company to identify and agree beneficial terms with suitable partners for the commercialisation and/or development of its products, as well as the achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, the acceptance of frovatriptan and other products by consumers and medical professionals, the successful integration of completed mergers and acquisitions and achievement of expected synergies from such transactions, and the ability of the Company to identify and consummate suitable strategic and business combination transactions.
Click on, or paste the following link into your web browser, to view the associated PDF document.
This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 30, 2015 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 487
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ET...
Aug. 30, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 114
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 30, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 517
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Aug. 30, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 384
In their Live Hack” presentation at 17th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty and Paul Fletcher, Chief Security Evangelists at Alert Logic, will provide the audience with a chance to see a live demonstration of the common tools cyber attackers use to attack cloud and traditional IT systems. This “Live Hack” uses open source attack tools that are free and available for download by anybody. Attendees will learn where to find and how to operate these tools for the purpose of testing their own IT infrastructu...
Aug. 30, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 388
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 428
It’s been proven time and time again that in tech, diversity drives greater innovation, better team productivity and greater profits and market share. So what can we do in our DevOps teams to embrace diversity and help transform the culture of development and operations into a true “DevOps” team? In her session at DevOps Summit, Stefana Muller, Director, Product Management – Continuous Delivery at CA Technologies, answered that question citing examples, showing how to create opportunities for ...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 471
Whether you like it or not, DevOps is on track for a remarkable alliance with security. The SEC didn’t approve the merger. And your boss hasn’t heard anything about it. Yet, this unruly triumvirate will soon dominate and deliver DevSecOps faster, cheaper, better, and on an unprecedented scale. In his session at DevOps Summit, Frank Bunger, VP of Customer Success at ScriptRock, will discuss how this cathartic moment will propel the DevOps movement from such stuff as dreams are made on to a prac...
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 206
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 382
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 29, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 428
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 323
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of I...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 381
SYS-CON Events announced today that DataClear Inc. will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The DataClear ‘BlackBox’ is the only solution that moves your PC, browsing and data out of the United States and away from prying (and spying) eyes. Its solution automatically builds you a clean, on-demand, virus free, new virtual cloud based PC outside of the United States, and wipes it clean...
Aug. 29, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 377
Culture is the most important ingredient of DevOps. The challenge for most organizations is defining and communicating a vision of beneficial DevOps culture for their organizations, and then facilitating the changes needed to achieve that. Often this comes down to an ability to provide true leadership. As a CIO, are your direct reports IT managers or are they IT leaders? The hard truth is that many IT managers have risen through the ranks based on their technical skills, not their leadership ab...
Aug. 29, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 329
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 29, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 149