|By Marketwired .||
|August 7, 2014 02:00 AM EDT||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 08/07/14 -- Aviva PLC (LSE: AV) (NYSE: AV)
Mark Wilson, Group Chief Executive Officer, said:
"The half year results show that momentum in Aviva's turnaround continues. All of our key metrics have improved, operating earnings per share are up 16%, and book value has increased 7%.
"We have reduced our debt, decreased expenses and increased profit - this is just good business. Aviva remains a work in progress, and these results are a step in the right direction."
- Cash remittances up 7% at £ 612 million (HY13: £ 573 million)
- Operating capital generation(1) stable at £ 910 million (HY13: £ 933 million(2))
- Interim dividend per share up 4.5% at 5.85p (HY13: 5.60p).
- Operating profit(1) 4% higher at £ 1,052 million (HY13: £ 1,008 million)
- Operating EPS(1) 16% higher at 23.6p (HY13: 20.3p)
- IFRS profit after tax(1) up 113% at £ 863 million (HY13: £ 406 million) due to lower restructuring costs and positive investment variances
- Operating expenses(1,3) £ 1,399 million, down £ 129 million (HY13: £ 1,528 million)
- Expense reduction equivalent to £ 568 million annualised savings vs. £ 400 million target
- Operating expense ratio(1) of 52.1% (HY13: 54.8%)
Value of new business
- Value of new business(4) up 9%(5) at £ 453 million (HY13: £ 428 million(2))
- Poland, Turkey and Asia(4) grew 54%(5) and contributed 25% of Group VNB (HY13: 19%)
Combined operating ratio
- Combined operating ratio (COR) improved to 95.5% (HY13: 96.2%)
- UK COR of 94.3%, best in 7 years
- IFRS net asset value per share up 7% at 290p (FY13: 270p)
- MCEV net asset value per share up 3% at 478p (FY13: 463p(2))
- External leverage ratio 46%(6) of tangible capital (FY13: 50%), 30% on S&P basis
- Intercompany loan reduced to £ 3.6 billion at end of July 2014 (Feb14: £ 4.1 billion)
- Economic capital surplus(7) £ 8.0 billion (FY13: £ 8.3 billion), coverage ratio 180%
(1) On a continuing basis, excluding US Life.
(2) Comparatives have been restated to reflect the changes in MCEV methodology. See F1 - MCEV Basis of Preparation for further details.
(3) Operating expenses excludes integration and restructuring costs.
(4) Poland includes Lithuania, Italy excludes Eurovita, Spain excludes Aseval and Asia excludes Malaysia.
(5) On a constant currency basis.
(6) External leverage ratio excludes the impact of the debt raised in July 2014.
(7) The economic capital represents an estimated position. The economic capital requirement is based on Aviva's own internal assessment and capital management policies. The term 'economic capital' does not imply capital as required by regulators or other third parties.
Click on, or paste the following link into your web browser, to view the associated PDF document.
This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange
+44 (0)20 7662 8115
+44 (0)20 7662 8048
+44 (0)20 7662 0215
+44 (0)20 7662 3131
+44 (0)20 7662 6700
Real time media conference call: 07:15 hrs BST
Analyst presentation: 08:15 hrs BST
06:30 hrs BST
08:15 hrs BST
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 26, 2017 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 939
Apr. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 472
Join IBM November 2 at 19th Cloud Expo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, and learn how to go beyond multi-speed it to bring agility to traditional enterprise applications. Technology innovation is the driving force behind modern business and enterprises must respond by increasing the speed and efficiency of software delivery. The challenge is that existing enterprise applications are expensive to develop and difficult to modernize. This often results in what Gartner calls ...
Apr. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,221
Translating agile methodology into real-world best practices within the modern software factory has driven widespread DevOps adoption, yet much work remains to expand workflows and tooling across the enterprise. As models evolve from pockets of experimentation into wholescale organizational reinvention, practitioners find themselves challenged to incorporate the culture and architecture necessary to support DevOps at scale. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Anand Akela, Senior...
Apr. 26, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,845
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Analytic. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Apr. 26, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,161
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 26, 2017 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,188
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 26, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 650
Apr. 26, 2017 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 9,091
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 26, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,259
SYS-CON Events announced today that Twistlock, the leading provider of cloud container security solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Twistlock is the industry's first enterprise security suite for container security. Twistlock's technology addresses risks on the host and within the application of the container, enabling enterprises to consistently enforce security policies, monitor...
Apr. 26, 2017 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,711
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 26, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,419
Automation is enabling enterprises to design, deploy, and manage more complex, hybrid cloud environments. Yet the people who manage these environments must be trained in and understanding these environments better than ever before. A new era of analytics and cognitive computing is adding intelligence, but also more complexity, to these cloud environments. How smart is your cloud? How smart should it be? In this power panel at 20th Cloud Expo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, pane...
Apr. 26, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,225
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 26, 2017 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 803
Building a cross-cloud operational model can be a daunting task. Per-cloud silos are not the answer, but neither is a fully generic abstraction plane that strips out capabilities unique to a particular provider. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Chris Wolf, VP & Chief Technology Officer, Global Field & Industry at VMware, will discuss how successful organizations approach cloud operations and management, with insights into where operations should be centralized and when it’s best to decentraliz...
Apr. 26, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 684
In recent years, containers have taken the world by storm. Companies of all sizes and industries have realized the massive benefits of containers, such as unprecedented mobility, higher hardware utilization, and increased flexibility and agility; however, many containers today are non-persistent. Containers without persistence miss out on many benefits, and in many cases simply pass the responsibility of persistence onto other infrastructure, adding additional complexity.
Apr. 26, 2017 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,259