|By PR Newswire||
|August 7, 2014 07:43 AM EDT||
- Same store sales up 2.8% at Canadian Tire, 8.2% at FGL Sports and 3.2% at Mark's
- Consolidated diluted EPS up 11.0% or 18.2% after normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes
TORONTO, Aug. 7, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC, TSX:CTC.a) today released second quarter results for the period ended June 28, 2014, reflecting solid revenue, sales and margin growth.
"The second quarter is an important one for Canadian Tire as families get ready to spend more time outdoors or tackle jobs around the home after a long winter. Performance at Canadian Tire was strong across all categories, particularly given the late arrival of spring weather," said Stephen Wetmore, CEO, Canadian Tire Corporation.
"FGL Sports' core banner, Sport Chek, continued to post impressive results in a very competitive retail landscape and had its third consecutive quarter of double-digit same store sales growth. When we look at Financial Services, it exceeded our expectations again which is impressive given that its 2013 comparable was so strong," continued Wetmore.
- Consolidated revenue increased 4.8% or $145.0 million to $3.2 billion in the second quarter.
- Consolidated retail sales in the quarter increased 4.8% or $170.2 million, to $3.7 billion over the same period last year.
- Diluted EPS was $2.12 in the quarter, up 11.0% or 18.2% after normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes.
- Consolidated earnings performance reflects strong revenue and gross margin contributions from the Retail segment as well as solid margin performance at Financial Services from increased revenue on gross average accounts receivable growth.
RETAIL SEGMENT OVERVIEW
- Retail segment revenue increased 4.7% or $129.9 million to $2.9 billion in the quarter.
- Income before income taxes in the Retail segment was up 22.7% or $27.8 million, to $149.6 million over the second quarter last year. After normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes, income before income taxes increased 35.0%.
- Retail sales at Canadian Tire were up 3.4% over the second quarter last year and same store sales increased 2.8% with solid sales across key seasonal and non-seasonal categories.
- FGL Sports saw retail sales increase 13.7% and same store sales up 8.2% over the same period last year, reflecting strong growth across key banners and categories. Same store sales at Sport Chek increased 10.8% in the second quarter.
- Mark's retail sales grew 2.6% and same store sales were up 3.2% over the same period last year, driven by strong sales of industrial and men's apparel and footwear sales.
- Petroleum sales were up 5.3% in the quarter largely related to higher gasoline prices and increased non-gasoline sales.
CT REIT OVERVIEW
- As disclosed in the Q2 2014 CT REIT release issued on August 5, 2014, CT REIT closed seven acquisitions at a total cost of $94.1 million.
- Subsequent to the quarter end, CT REIT completed two acquisitions. CT REIT and Oxford Properties each acquired a one-third leasehold interest in Canada Square, a mixed-use commercial development at the intersection of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue in Toronto, Ontario which houses CTC's head office. In addition, on July 30, 2014, CT REIT acquired a 201,000 square foot distribution centre in Calgary, Alberta, located on Dufferin Place in the south east quadrant of the city.
- These two investments combined represent approximately $90.0 million dollars including transaction costs to CT REIT.
FINANCIAL SERVICES OVERVIEW
- Financial Services' gross average receivable (GAAR) second quarter growth of 7.4% is primarily attributed to increased average balances and a higher number of active accounts over the prior period.
- Capital investments increased by $51.4 million in the quarter over the same period last year reflecting higher investments in the distribution centre, and for technology initiatives. Capital spending for 2014 is on track to be at the higher end of the previously stated range of $575.0 million and $625.0 million, excluding any future investment required to support CT REIT's growth strategy.
- Canadian Tire Corporation has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.50 per share on each Common and Class A Non-Voting share. The dividend is payable December 1, 2014 to Common and Class A Non-Voting shareholders of record as of October 31, 2014. The dividend is considered an "eligible dividend" for tax purposes.
NORMAL COURSE ISSUER BID UPDATE
- As at June 28, 2014, the Company had purchased 1,078,244 Class A Non-Voting Shares at a cost of $110.2 million towards its intended $200.0 million share repurchase under its normal course issuer bid.
For additional information, refer to the Company's Q2 2014 Management's Discussion and Analysis.
To view a PDF version of Canadian Tire Corporation's full quarterly earnings report please see: http://files.newswire.ca/116/Cantire_English_8-6.pdf
This document contains forward-looking information that reflects management's current expectations related to matters such as future financial performance and operating results of the Company. Forward-looking statements are provided for the purposes of providing information about management's current expectations and plans and allowing investors and others to get a better understanding of our anticipated financial position, results of operations and operating environment. Readers are cautioned that such information may not be appropriate for other purposes.
All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this document may constitute forward-looking information, including but not limited to, statements concerning the Company's CAPEX spending under the heading "Capital Expenditures" and other statements concerning management's expectations relating to possible or assumed future prospects and results, our strategic goals and priorities, our actions and the results of those actions and the economic and business outlook for us. Forward-looking information is based on the reasonable assumptions, estimates, analyses, beliefs and opinions of management made in light of its experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable at the date that such information is provided.
By its very nature, forward-looking information requires us to make assumptions and is subject to inherent risks and uncertainties, which give rise to the possibility that the Company's assumptions, estimates, analyses, beliefs and opinions may not be correct and that the Company's expectations and plans will not be achieved. Although the Company believes that the forward-looking information in this document is based on information, assumptions and beliefs which are current, reasonable and complete, this information is necessarily subject to a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from management's expectations and plans as set forth in such forward-looking information.
For more information on the risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause the Company's actual results to differ from current expectations, please refer to the "Risk Factors" section of our Annual Information Form for fiscal 2013 and to sections 22.214.171.124 (Retail segment business risks), 126.96.36.199 (CT REIT segment business risks), 188.8.131.52 (Financial Services segment business risks) and 11.0 (Enterprise Risk Management) and all subsections thereunder of our 2013 Management's Discussion and Analysis, as well as the Company's other public filings, available at www.sedar.com and at www.corp.canadiantire.ca.
Statements that include forward-looking information do not take into account the effect that transactions or non-recurring or other special items announced or occurring after the statements are made have on the Company's business. For example, they do not include the effect of any dispositions, acquisitions, asset write-downs or other charges announced or occurring after such statements are made.
The forward-looking statements and information contained herein are based on certain factors and assumptions as of the date hereof. The Company does not undertake to update any forward-looking information, whether written or oral, that may be made from time to time by it or on its behalf, to reflect new information, future events or otherwise, except as is required by applicable securities laws.
Canadian Tire will conduct a conference call to discuss information included in this news release and related matters at 12:00 p.m. ET on August 7, 2014. The conference call will be available simultaneously and in its entirety to all interested investors and the news media through a webcast at http://corp.canadiantire.ca/EN/investors, and will be available through replay at this website for 12 months.
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited, (TSX:CTC.A) (TSX:CTC) or "CTC," is a family of businesses that includes a retail segment, a financial services division and CT REIT. Our retail business is led by Canadian Tire, which was founded in 1922 and provides Canadians with products for life in Canada across its Living, Playing, Fixing, Automotive and Seasonal categories. PartSource and Gas+ are key parts of the Canadian Tire network. The retail segment also includes Mark's, a leading source for casual and industrial wear, and FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Hockey Experts, Sports Experts, National Sports, Intersport, Pro Hockey Life and Atmosphere), which offers the best active wear brands. The nearly 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division and the tens of thousands of people employed across the Company. For more information, visit Corp.CanadianTire.ca.
SOURCE CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 23, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,091
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,734
DevOps is speeding towards the IT world like a freight train and the hype around it is deafening. There is no reason to be afraid of this change as it is the natural reaction to the agile movement that revolutionized development just a few years ago. By definition, DevOps is the natural alignment of IT performance to business profitability. The relevance of this has yet to be quantified but it has been suggested that the route to the CEO’s chair will come from the IT leaders that successfully ma...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 16,339
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 23, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 677
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Oct. 23, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 23, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,834
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 23, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,334
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 23, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,919
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interface Masters Technologies, a leader in Network Visibility and Uptime Solutions, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Interface Masters Technologies is a leading vendor in the network monitoring and high speed networking markets. Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, Interface Masters' expertise lies in Gigabit, 10 Gigabit and 40 Gigabit Eth...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,304
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,693
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, will discuss why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue an...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,952
As software becomes more and more complex, we, as software developers, have been splitting up our code into smaller and smaller components. This is also true for the environment in which we run our code: going from bare metal, to VMs to the modern-day Cloud Native world of containers, schedulers and microservices. While we have figured out how to run containerized applications in the cloud using schedulers, we've yet to come up with a good solution to bridge the gap between getting your conta...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,442
Without lifecycle traceability and visibility across the tool chain, stakeholders from Planning-to-Ops have limited insight and answers to who, what, when, why and how across the DevOps lifecycle. This impacts the ability to deliver high quality software at the needed velocity to drive positive business outcomes. In his session at @DevOpsSummit 19th Cloud Expo, Eric Robertson, General Manager at CollabNet, will show how customers are able to achieve a level of transparency that enables everyon...
Oct. 23, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,272
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 941
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 23, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,649