|By PR Newswire||
|August 7, 2014 07:43 AM EDT||
- Same store sales up 2.8% at Canadian Tire, 8.2% at FGL Sports and 3.2% at Mark's
- Consolidated diluted EPS up 11.0% or 18.2% after normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes
TORONTO, Aug. 7, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC, TSX:CTC.a) today released second quarter results for the period ended June 28, 2014, reflecting solid revenue, sales and margin growth.
"The second quarter is an important one for Canadian Tire as families get ready to spend more time outdoors or tackle jobs around the home after a long winter. Performance at Canadian Tire was strong across all categories, particularly given the late arrival of spring weather," said Stephen Wetmore, CEO, Canadian Tire Corporation.
"FGL Sports' core banner, Sport Chek, continued to post impressive results in a very competitive retail landscape and had its third consecutive quarter of double-digit same store sales growth. When we look at Financial Services, it exceeded our expectations again which is impressive given that its 2013 comparable was so strong," continued Wetmore.
- Consolidated revenue increased 4.8% or $145.0 million to $3.2 billion in the second quarter.
- Consolidated retail sales in the quarter increased 4.8% or $170.2 million, to $3.7 billion over the same period last year.
- Diluted EPS was $2.12 in the quarter, up 11.0% or 18.2% after normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes.
- Consolidated earnings performance reflects strong revenue and gross margin contributions from the Retail segment as well as solid margin performance at Financial Services from increased revenue on gross average accounts receivable growth.
RETAIL SEGMENT OVERVIEW
- Retail segment revenue increased 4.7% or $129.9 million to $2.9 billion in the quarter.
- Income before income taxes in the Retail segment was up 22.7% or $27.8 million, to $149.6 million over the second quarter last year. After normalizing for the one-time costs associated with the early redemption of medium-term notes, income before income taxes increased 35.0%.
- Retail sales at Canadian Tire were up 3.4% over the second quarter last year and same store sales increased 2.8% with solid sales across key seasonal and non-seasonal categories.
- FGL Sports saw retail sales increase 13.7% and same store sales up 8.2% over the same period last year, reflecting strong growth across key banners and categories. Same store sales at Sport Chek increased 10.8% in the second quarter.
- Mark's retail sales grew 2.6% and same store sales were up 3.2% over the same period last year, driven by strong sales of industrial and men's apparel and footwear sales.
- Petroleum sales were up 5.3% in the quarter largely related to higher gasoline prices and increased non-gasoline sales.
CT REIT OVERVIEW
- As disclosed in the Q2 2014 CT REIT release issued on August 5, 2014, CT REIT closed seven acquisitions at a total cost of $94.1 million.
- Subsequent to the quarter end, CT REIT completed two acquisitions. CT REIT and Oxford Properties each acquired a one-third leasehold interest in Canada Square, a mixed-use commercial development at the intersection of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue in Toronto, Ontario which houses CTC's head office. In addition, on July 30, 2014, CT REIT acquired a 201,000 square foot distribution centre in Calgary, Alberta, located on Dufferin Place in the south east quadrant of the city.
- These two investments combined represent approximately $90.0 million dollars including transaction costs to CT REIT.
FINANCIAL SERVICES OVERVIEW
- Financial Services' gross average receivable (GAAR) second quarter growth of 7.4% is primarily attributed to increased average balances and a higher number of active accounts over the prior period.
- Capital investments increased by $51.4 million in the quarter over the same period last year reflecting higher investments in the distribution centre, and for technology initiatives. Capital spending for 2014 is on track to be at the higher end of the previously stated range of $575.0 million and $625.0 million, excluding any future investment required to support CT REIT's growth strategy.
- Canadian Tire Corporation has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.50 per share on each Common and Class A Non-Voting share. The dividend is payable December 1, 2014 to Common and Class A Non-Voting shareholders of record as of October 31, 2014. The dividend is considered an "eligible dividend" for tax purposes.
NORMAL COURSE ISSUER BID UPDATE
- As at June 28, 2014, the Company had purchased 1,078,244 Class A Non-Voting Shares at a cost of $110.2 million towards its intended $200.0 million share repurchase under its normal course issuer bid.
For additional information, refer to the Company's Q2 2014 Management's Discussion and Analysis.
To view a PDF version of Canadian Tire Corporation's full quarterly earnings report please see: http://files.newswire.ca/116/Cantire_English_8-6.pdf
This document contains forward-looking information that reflects management's current expectations related to matters such as future financial performance and operating results of the Company. Forward-looking statements are provided for the purposes of providing information about management's current expectations and plans and allowing investors and others to get a better understanding of our anticipated financial position, results of operations and operating environment. Readers are cautioned that such information may not be appropriate for other purposes.
All statements other than statements of historical facts included in this document may constitute forward-looking information, including but not limited to, statements concerning the Company's CAPEX spending under the heading "Capital Expenditures" and other statements concerning management's expectations relating to possible or assumed future prospects and results, our strategic goals and priorities, our actions and the results of those actions and the economic and business outlook for us. Forward-looking information is based on the reasonable assumptions, estimates, analyses, beliefs and opinions of management made in light of its experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable at the date that such information is provided.
By its very nature, forward-looking information requires us to make assumptions and is subject to inherent risks and uncertainties, which give rise to the possibility that the Company's assumptions, estimates, analyses, beliefs and opinions may not be correct and that the Company's expectations and plans will not be achieved. Although the Company believes that the forward-looking information in this document is based on information, assumptions and beliefs which are current, reasonable and complete, this information is necessarily subject to a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from management's expectations and plans as set forth in such forward-looking information.
For more information on the risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause the Company's actual results to differ from current expectations, please refer to the "Risk Factors" section of our Annual Information Form for fiscal 2013 and to sections 188.8.131.52 (Retail segment business risks), 184.108.40.206 (CT REIT segment business risks), 220.127.116.11 (Financial Services segment business risks) and 11.0 (Enterprise Risk Management) and all subsections thereunder of our 2013 Management's Discussion and Analysis, as well as the Company's other public filings, available at www.sedar.com and at www.corp.canadiantire.ca.
Statements that include forward-looking information do not take into account the effect that transactions or non-recurring or other special items announced or occurring after the statements are made have on the Company's business. For example, they do not include the effect of any dispositions, acquisitions, asset write-downs or other charges announced or occurring after such statements are made.
The forward-looking statements and information contained herein are based on certain factors and assumptions as of the date hereof. The Company does not undertake to update any forward-looking information, whether written or oral, that may be made from time to time by it or on its behalf, to reflect new information, future events or otherwise, except as is required by applicable securities laws.
Canadian Tire will conduct a conference call to discuss information included in this news release and related matters at 12:00 p.m. ET on August 7, 2014. The conference call will be available simultaneously and in its entirety to all interested investors and the news media through a webcast at http://corp.canadiantire.ca/EN/investors, and will be available through replay at this website for 12 months.
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited, (TSX:CTC.A) (TSX:CTC) or "CTC," is a family of businesses that includes a retail segment, a financial services division and CT REIT. Our retail business is led by Canadian Tire, which was founded in 1922 and provides Canadians with products for life in Canada across its Living, Playing, Fixing, Automotive and Seasonal categories. PartSource and Gas+ are key parts of the Canadian Tire network. The retail segment also includes Mark's, a leading source for casual and industrial wear, and FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Hockey Experts, Sports Experts, National Sports, Intersport, Pro Hockey Life and Atmosphere), which offers the best active wear brands. The nearly 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division and the tens of thousands of people employed across the Company. For more information, visit Corp.CanadianTire.ca.
SOURCE CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
Jun. 1, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,050
In the rush to compete in the digital age, a successful digital transformation is essential, but many organizations are setting themselves up for failure. There’s a common misconception that the process is just about technology, but it’s not. It’s about your business. It shouldn’t be treated as an isolated IT project; it should be driven by business needs with the committed involvement of a range of stakeholders.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,845
In today's enterprise, digital transformation represents organizational change even more so than technology change, as customer preferences and behavior drive end-to-end transformation across lines of business as well as IT. To capitalize on the ubiquitous disruption driving this transformation, companies must be able to innovate at an increasingly rapid pace. Traditional approaches for driving innovation are now woefully inadequate for keeping up with the breadth of disruption and change facin...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,913
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,250
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
Jun. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,514
The cloud era has reached the stage where it is no longer a question of whether a company should migrate, but when. Enterprises have embraced the outsourcing of where their various applications are stored and who manages them, saving significant investment along the way. Plus, the cloud has become a defining competitive edge. Companies that fail to successfully adapt risk failure. The media, of course, continues to extol the virtues of the cloud, including how easy it is to get there. Migrating...
May. 31, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 935
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,050
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint Systems, Inc., a provider of innovative web and infrastructure monitoring solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit at 18th Cloud Expo New York, which will take place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into customer-critical services to help consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed...
May. 31, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,261
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,353
@DevOpsSummit taking place June 7-9, 2016 at Javits Center, New York City, and Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 18th International @CloudExpo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world.
May. 31, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,292
How will your company move to the cloud while ensuring a solid security posture? Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is ...
May. 31, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,011
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,848
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,771
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,139
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,921