|By Marketwired .||
|August 12, 2014 01:54 PM EDT||
COSTA MESA, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/12/14 -- 1,337,167 Fairgoers proved that "Summer Starts Here" at the OC Fair. The 2014 OC Fair featured 23 days (July 11-August 10) of food, rides, exhibits, animals, music, action sports and fun. Here are some fun facts about the 2014 OC Fair:
Food at the 2014 OC Fair
- Biggy's Meat Market dished out more than 5,000 pounds of its new gluten-free fries and 450 new gluten-free burgers.
- Chicken Charlie used 40,000 pounds of vegetable oil to fry up Doritos, Oreos, frog legs, zucchini strings and 5,000 pounds worth of chicken skin.
- Tasti Chips served up 30 tons of California-grown potatoes to Fairgoers, whose No. 1 topping choice was Jalapeno Cheese.
- Bacon A-Fair had Fairgoers porking out with 20,000 pounds of bacon which included 30,000 of the new Deep-Fried, Bacon-Wrapped Jack Daniels Churro, using 99 bottles of 1.75-liter Jack Daniels bottles.
- Grantburgers sold 1,290 of its award-winning Chile Relleno Burgers stacked with a fried chile relleno, hamburger patty, spicy chorizo patty, jalapeno jam, avocado, tomato and cheese in a soft pretzel bun.
- Terri's Berries dipped more than a 2,300 marshmallows in chocolate in addition to lots of fresh fruit and other chocolate-covered treats.
- Old West Cinnamon Rolls in the Carnival of Products rolled up more than 3,300 feet of warm cinnamon rolls while the Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls in the Livestock Area poured more than 1,400 pounds of sweet cream cheese frosting over their rolls.
- The Orange County Wine Society had the wine flowing in The Wine Courtyard with more than 34,800 glasses of award-winning chardonnays, pinots, merlots, cabernets and more served to Fairgoers.
- Texas Donuts offered their warm, soft donuts almost any way a Fairgoer might want it and they liked it, consuming 9,000 Maple Bacon, 1,800 Pop Rocks, 1,710 Reese's and 1,350 Banana Chocolate Cream donuts.
Savings at the 2014 OC Fair
- More than 446,800 Fairgoers got into the Fair for free or at a discount through the numerous special days, donation drives and coupons offered this year.
- The number of annual season passes to the Fair, Super Pass, increased by 11% this year with 13,875 passes purchased by avid Fairgoers.
- On the four We Care Wednesday donation drives, 67,281 participants donated more than 42 tons of canned food, 55,300 children's books, 39,400 pounds of clothing and 160,000 school supplies.
- The OC Fair Express ridership was up 31 percent with more than 76,900 Fairgoers opting to leave their cars at the OCTA transit station for direct bus service to the Fair.
Fun at the 2014 OC Fair
- Toyota Summer Concert Series in the Pacific Amphitheatre was highlighted by sell-out nights with The Offspring / Adolescents, Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo / Berlin / Madasen McGrath, Little Big Town / Sara Haze, Billy Currington / Lucy Hale and Lynyrd Skynyrd / Jeremiah Red plus two sold-out nights of Rebelution / Iration / The Green.
- The Hangar at the OC Fair offered wallet-friendly live entertainment that drew sold-out crowds for Journey Unauthorized - A Tribute to the Music of Journey, Zeppelin Live - A Live Rock Tribute to Led Zeppelin, The English Beat / The Debonaires, Strangelove - The Ultimate Tribute to Depeche Mode, Hotel California - A Salute to the Eagles, Rumours - The Ultimate Fleetwood Mac Tribute Show, Common Kings / Tini Grey, Queen Nation - A Tribute to the Music of Queen, Dead Man's Party - The Oingo Boingo Tribute and Mariachi Sol de Mexico de Jose Hernandez.
- Action Sports Arena at the OC Fair welcomed standing-room-only crowds at all five nights of demolition derby (Orange Crush, Motor Home and Damsels of Destruction).
- In the Carnival, 60,000 daredevils came on Wednesdays and Thursdays for the $30 Unlimited Ride Wristband special. Throughout the run of Fair, the top rides were La Grande Wheel, Sky Ride, Crazy Coaster, Wild River and Rave Wave. 435,000 colorful and furry plushes were carried out under arms, on shoulders and even on top of heads. The Despicable Me minions and unicorn were the most requested prize by skilled Fairgoers.
- It was a gobblin' good time the last week of the Fair as the new Wild West Turkey Stampede thrilled Fairgoers with its hilarious mix of agricultural education and entertainment. The feathered stars of the show raced around the small track after the tasty kernels in the remote-controlled Big Red truck to sold out crowds through their 5-day appearance.
Exhibits & Competitive Spirit at the 2014 OC Fair
- More than 10,000 award ribbons were won by Fairgoers for baking, photography, painting, woodworking, quilting, gardening, livestock and on-the-spot contests. This year the Fair offered 2,054 unique competitions for a Fairgoer to showcase their talent.
- More than 7,800 feet of table covers and 28,200 feet of drapery were used for competition galleries, shopping halls and more throughout the Fair.
- In the Visual Arts Gallery, more than 487 halogen lights and nearly 400 walls were used to display award-winning artwork.
- The Garden & Floral competition saw nearly 1,000 tomatoes entered this year which could make nearly 40 bottles of ketchup plus a 300-pound pumpkin which could make 100 pumpkin pies.
- In the Special Culinary Contests held on Saturdays, Fairgoers entered 260 cupcakes, 63 bowls of chili, 35 chicken wings and 95 salsas to be judged in the only live culinary arts competitions.
- The 60 entries in the Table-Settings Competition featured 300 individual and correctly placed pieces of silverware.
- In the annual Jr. Livestock Auction held on July 19, youth competitors earned more than $255,000 in auction sales and add-ons.
- In the new Bakeology exhibit, Blackmarket Bakery used more than 230 pounds of sugar and flour and 360 eggs for their daily demonstration.
- More than 1,650 pounds of watermelon were scarfed down for an award ribbon during a free nightly eating contest.
- The most common entry in the Collections competition was watches and clocks while the strangest was a collection of found papers include notes, lists and flyers found in random places.
- 343 arthropods called the Explorium tent home as part of the new The Good, The Bad & The Unbelievable exhibit.
Memories at the 2014 OC Fair
- The Centennial Farm welcomed 19 piglets this year.
- Some 5,600 individual dancers, singers, comedians and performers had a moment to shine on one of the Fair's free community entertainment stages.
- The National Anthem was proudly sung 35 times during the run of the Fair.
- More than 3.5 tons of clay were molded into beautiful bowls, cups and more during the daily free ceramics demonstrations in Crafters Village.
- More than 4,300 Fairgoers willingly took a seat in the Pitchburst activity in the Explorium area, only to be drenched by water balloons.
- This year the OC Fair offered Fairgoers two new Fair Foodies to take home as soft toys and Fairgoers snatched up all the supplies of Slim the Bacon within the first three weeks of Fair.
The OC Fair is held annual at the OC Fair & Event Center, which is home to more than 100 events throughout the year. The OC Fair & Event Center is located off the 405 and 55 freeways at 88 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa. For more information, please visit ocfair.com, become a fan at Facebook.com/OCFair, follow us at twitter.com/ocfair or call (714) 708-1500.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2656202
Skeuomorphism usually means retaining existing design cues in something new that doesn’t actually need them. However, the concept of skeuomorphism can be thought of as relating more broadly to applying existing patterns to new technologies that, in fact, cry out for new approaches. In his session at DevOps Summit, Gordon Haff, Senior Cloud Strategy Marketing and Evangelism Manager at Red Hat, discussed why containers should be paired with new architectural practices such as microservices rathe...
Aug. 29, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 359
U.S. companies are desperately trying to recruit and hire skilled software engineers and developers, but there is simply not enough quality talent to go around. Tiempo Development is a nearshore software development company. Our headquarters are in AZ, but we are a pioneer and leader in outsourcing to Mexico, based on our three software development centers there. We have a proven process and we are experts at providing our customers with powerful solutions. We transform ideas into reality.
Aug. 29, 2015 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 496
Any Ops team trying to support a company in today’s cloud-connected world knows that a new way of thinking is required – one just as dramatic than the shift from Ops to DevOps. The diversity of modern operations requires teams to focus their impact on breadth vs. depth. In his session at DevOps Summit, Adam Serediuk, Director of Operations at xMatters, Inc., will discuss the strategic requirements of evolving from Ops to DevOps, and why modern Operations has begun leveraging the “NoOps” approa...
Aug. 29, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 332
Organizations from small to large are increasingly adopting cloud solutions to deliver essential business services at a much lower cost. According to cyber security experts, the frequency and severity of cyber-attacks are on the rise, causing alarm to businesses and customers across a variety of industries. To defend against exploits like these, a company must adopt a comprehensive security defense strategy that is designed for their business. In 2015, organizations such as United Airlines, Sony...
Aug. 29, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 396
Puppet Labs has announced the next major update to its flagship product: Puppet Enterprise 2015.2. This release includes new features providing DevOps teams with clarity, simplicity and additional management capabilities, including an all-new user interface, an interactive graph for visualizing infrastructure code, a new unified agent and broader infrastructure support.
Aug. 29, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 463
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 28, 2015 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 400
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 28, 2015 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 828
Red Hat is investing in Tesora, the number one contributor to OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) also ranked among the top 20 companies contributing to OpenStack overall. Tesora, the company bringing OpenStack Trove Database as a Service (DBaaS) to the enterprise, has announced that Red Hat and others have invested in the company as a part of Tesora's latest funding round. The funding agreement expands on the ongoing collaboration between Tesora and Red Hat, which dates back to Febr...
Aug. 28, 2015 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 298
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of ...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 182
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 312
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and a...
Aug. 28, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 407
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Trel...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 168
Cloud and datacenter migration innovator AppZero has joined the Microsoft Enterprise Cloud Alliance Program. AppZero is a fast, flexible way to move Windows Server applications from any source machine – physical or virtual – to any destination server, in any cloud or datacenter, using its patented container technology. AppZero’s container is also called a Virtual Application Appliance (VAA). To facilitate Microsoft Azure onboarding, AppZero has two purpose-built offerings: AppZero SP for Azure,...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:15 PM EDT
WSM International, the pioneer and leader in server migration services, has announced an agreement with WHOA.com, a leader in providing secure public, private and hybrid cloud computing services. Under terms of the agreement, WSM will provide migration services to WHOA.com customers to relocate some or all of their applications, digital assets, and other computing workloads to WHOA.com enterprise-class, secure cloud infrastructure. The migration services include detailed evaluation and planning...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:01 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that G2G3 will exhibit at SYS-CON's @DevOpsSummit Silicon Valley, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Based on a collective appreciation for user experience, design, and technology, G2G3 is uniquely qualified and motivated to redefine how organizations and people engage in an increasingly digital world.
Aug. 28, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 414