|By PR Newswire||
|August 13, 2014 09:00 AM EDT||
VANCOUVER, Canada, Aug. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SIGGRAPH 2014 -- Cloud graphics company, OTOY Inc., today announced expanded support for its acclaimed OctaneRender™ software, giving artists and animators more choice in where and how they work and accelerating content creation by bringing lightning fast true-to-life rendering to four more popular 3D applications. Along with previously announced plugins for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects, OctaneRender™ plugins are also in development for The Foundry's NUKE compositing software, Side Effects Software's Houdini™ 3D animation software, Autodesk's MotionBuilder® 3D character animation software, and Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4.
Following the unveiling this week of holographic video, a groundbreaking new media format for immersive, photorealistic content, OTOY also revealed further details of the content pipeline that will allow artists, animators, designers and engineers to capture, create, publish, and display their own holographic videos by harnessing light field rendering technology in OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition in the months to come. OTOY also revealed new means of applying the same holographic light field data within 3D engines such as Unreal, physical simulation engines such as Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) Engine, and audio engines to simplify design of games and other interactive applications while improving realism. OTOY is demonstrating both OctaneRender™ and ORBX holographic video this week at the annual international conference on computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 2014, in booth 1447 of the Vancouver Convention Center.
"OTOY has achieved the impossible task of simplifying the complex science of true-to-life rendering down to a series of mouse clicks," said Vik Sohal, co-founder of Pixelux. "With the integration of Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter Engine into OctaneRender Cloud Edition, we're providing the same intuitive simplicity to finite-element-based destruction, letting content creators apply the intricate math behind the material properties and object interactions that make up the real world without needing to be simulation experts themselves."
"Working with a growing list of exceptional partners, OTOY continues to make OctaneRender more accessible to content creators everywhere while adding functionality," said Jules Urbach, Founder and CEO, OTOY. "Holographic video is an exceedingly elegant format that simplifies the production and sharing of incredible 3D experiences while holographic light field data opens the door to extraordinarily sophisticated, yet easy to implement simulations of physics and audio, and streamlined game and 3D application development. OTOY's holographic video pipeline is flexible not only for how it allows content creators to work, but also for the myriad of options content creators will have in harnessing holographic data to make their work easier."
Extending the value of holographic data through OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition
OctaneRender™ is renowned for its simplicity and ease-of-use, taking advanced material rendering concepts that traditionally have required knowledge of shader programming, and transforming photorealistic scene-building to a simple point-and-click exercise using OctaneRender™'s efficient node graph. Now OTOY is bringing the same simplicity to other advanced simulation elements including physics, audio, and other 3D engines in its forthcoming OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, harnessing the holographic data for faster, more accurate simulations.
- Improving destruction simulations – Pixelux's acclaimed DMM Engine is the physical simulation engine that will be integrated into OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, giving content creators access to the same advanced technology used to create high-end destruction simulations for major motion pictures. With the integration, content creators will have an easy means of applying real-world physical simulation to their scenes without worrying about performance limits. Using DMM's incredible ability to allow the simulation of complex structures bending and breaking made of anything from diamond to jelly, content creators will be able to create the visual reality to match their imagination all through advanced simulation.
- Improving audio simulations – Audio has always been a challenge for interactive 3D scenes, particularly for VR experiences that are wholly immersive. Using holographic data within OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition, complex acoustic simulations can be made to match a rendered scene perfectly, including the way audio bounces off of objects in a scene much the way light does. Combined with DMM, audio associated with the collision, bending, tearing, and fracture of objects within a scene can also be easily simulated.
- Supporting other 3D engines – For game development or the production of interactive environments for design, architecture, and attractions, other 3D rendering engines may be desired rather than OctaneRender™'s. OTOY's cloud-based, real-time photorealistic 3D engine, Brigade, and Epic's Unreal Engine will be supported, allowing for holographic data to be used as environment maps simplifying things such as collision detection.
Building out the holographic video pipeline
OTOY's end-to-end pipeline brings together several technologies for the production and publishing of holographic videos and supports the most popular third-party software so that content creators can work where and how they prefer:
- Capture: OTOY's LightStage™ marks the first step in creating true-to-life holographic videos, enabling the capturing of people, objects, or environments to generate virtually perfect "digital doubles".
- Create: Whether using LightStage™ to capture real-world objects or forgoing that step for the purposes of creating entirely computer-generated scenes, OctaneRender™, OTOY's suite of advanced 3D rendering software for workstations and the cloud, is the key ingredient in bringing the visual elements of holographic video to life. Using OctaneRender™ Standalone Edition, or an OctaneRender™ plugin for one of more than 20 of the most popular 3D modelling applications, content creators can optionally import objects captured within LightStage or existing 3D assets from other film or entertainment properties, then build their scene in their application of choice, saving it to a static, non-holographic .ORBX file.
- Publish: To export the static .ORBX scene file to an interactive holographic video, content creators will need to use OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition which will support one-click exporting to holographic video. For those looking to enable movement within a scene, OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition will also export to Brigade. Virtual reality head-mounted displays such as the Oculus Rift will also be supported, allowing holographic videos to be exported and immediately viewed.
OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition and the .ORBX holographic video player are both currently in closed betas and will be released to content creators later this year. Integration of Pixelux's DMM Engine will also be available on OctaneRender™ Cloud Edition at that time. OctaneRender™ plugins for Photoshop, After Effects, NUKE, Houdini, MotionBuilder, and Unreal Engine 4 will be available this year. For more information, or to become a part of the OctaneRender™ and holographic video ecosystem, contact OTOY at [email protected].
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY's Academy Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers, architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new economics in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit www.otoy.com.
- See images and videos of OctaneRender plugins on the OTOY blog here.
- Read more about OTOY's holographic video announcement on the OTOY blog here.
- See OTOY's demonstration of holographic video on YouTube here.
- See video and examples of LightStage™ on YouTube here.
- Arrange a meeting with OTOY at SIGGRAPH 2014, August 12-14, booth 1447 in the Vancouver Convention Center by contacting us here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software on OTOY's Facebook page here.
- Read more details about the versatile .ORBX interchange file format on OTOY's blog here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
SOURCE OTOY Inc.
DevOps theory promotes a culture of continuous improvement built on collaboration, empowerment, systems thinking, and feedback loops. But how do you collaborate effectively across the traditional silos? How can you make decisions without system-wide visibility? How can you see the whole system when it is spread across teams and locations? How do you close feedback loops across teams and activities delivering complex multi-tier, cloud, container, serverless, and/or API-based services?
Oct. 28, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,182
Today every business relies on software to drive the innovation necessary for a competitive edge in the Application Economy. This is why collaboration between development and operations, or DevOps, has become IT’s number one priority. Whether you are in Dev or Ops, understanding how to implement a DevOps strategy can deliver faster development cycles, improved software quality, reduced deployment times and overall better experiences for your customers.
Oct. 28, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,048
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 28, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,303
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,195
Qosmos, the market leader for IP traffic classification and network intelligence technology, has announced that it will launch the Launch L7 Viewer at CloudExpo | @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley, being held November 1 – 3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The L7 Viewer is a traffic analysis tool that provides complete visibility of all network traffic that crosses a virtualized infrastructure, up to Layer 7. It facilitates and accelerates common IT tasks such as VM migra...
Oct. 28, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 607
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, discussed how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from millio...
Oct. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,199
In the 21st century, security on the Internet has become one of the most important issues. We hear more and more about cyber-attacks on the websites of large corporations, banks and even small businesses. When online we’re concerned not only for our own safety but also our privacy. We have to know that hackers usually start their preparation by investigating the private information of admins – the habits, interests, visited websites and so on. On the other hand, our own security is in danger bec...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 711
Regulatory requirements exist to promote the controlled sharing of information, while protecting the privacy and/or security of the information. Regulations for each type of information have their own set of rules, policies, and guidelines. Cloud Service Providers (CSP) are faced with increasing demand for services at decreasing prices. Demonstrating and maintaining compliance with regulations is a nontrivial task and doing so against numerous sets of regulatory requirements can be daunting task...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,982
@DevOpsSummit has been named the ‘Top DevOps Influencer' by iTrend. iTrend processes millions of conversations, tweets, interactions, news articles, press releases, blog posts - and extract meaning form them and analyzes mobile and desktop software platforms used to communicate, various metadata (such as geo location), and automation tools. In overall placement, @DevOpsSummit ranked as the number one ‘DevOps Influencer' followed by @CloudExpo at third, and @MicroservicesE at 24th.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,146
Enterprises have been using both Big Data and virtualization for years. Until recently, however, most enterprises have not combined the two. Big Data's demands for higher levels of performance, the ability to control quality-of-service (QoS), and the ability to adhere to SLAs have kept it on bare metal, apart from the modern data center cloud. With recent technology innovations, we've seen the advantages of bare metal erode to such a degree that the enhanced flexibility and reduced costs that cl...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 680
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,557
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,153
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Oct. 28, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,788
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,192
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 28, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 34,373